Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2005, 07:21 AM   #1
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Carbquik Cinnamin Swirl Loaf, you gotta try!!

This is delicious!!! It tastes better than some high carb versions I have had. DH loved it, and he is sooooo picky! I made a creamcheese frosting for it! OMG!!!

Thank you, LCRedhead!

Carbquik Cinnamon Swirl Loaf
Servings: 12

The Cinnamon Swirl
1/3 cup Splenda
1/8 cup Brown sugar twin
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
The Batter
1 1/2 cups Carbquik
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick) softened
3/4 cup Splenda
3 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup sour cream
To make the cinnamon swirl combine the Splenda and cinnamon in a small cup and set aside.

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pan and set aside.
2. To make the cinnamon swirl combine the Splenda and cinnamon in a small cup and set aside.
3. To make the batter mix together the Carbquik, baking powder, baking soda, and salt onto a sheet of waxed paper and set aside. (You can use a small bowl for this instead)
4. In a large bowl cream the butter until light with an electric mixer on high speed. Gradually add the Splenda and continue beating until the mixture is very light and fluffy. Change the mixer speed to medium. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition, then beat in the vanilla.
5. Change the mixer speed to low. Alternately beat in the mixed dry ingredients and the sour cream, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients and beating only until combined.
6. Spoon half of the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle half of the cinnamon mixture over the top. Repeat with the remaining batter and cinnamon mixture. Drizzle the melted butter over the top. To make the swirl, cut through the batter with a knife several times.
7. Bake until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, about 1 hour. Let the loaf stand in the pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Loosen from the sides of the pan, then carefully invert onto the rack and turn right-side-up. Cool completely before serving.

Per Serving : 190 Calories; 17g Fat ; 5g Protein; 11g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; net carbs 5g.

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2005, 08:16 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Beeb: You little devil, you...This sounds fabulous!!
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 11:17 AM   #3
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: 5cats4me
Stats: 185/134/130
WOE: Atkins without counting
Start Date: Jan 04
Oh my...I love cinnamon breads...
5cats4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 02:08 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: parrotchic
5cats4me, I have a question 4U. When you use recipes from here, do you use Jennifer Eloff's LC Bake mix or her Bismix in place of the carbquick ? I was just wondering how Jen's worked in comparison to the carbquick. Thanks
parrotchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 05:31 PM   #5
Cake Lover

Gallery: chefchick66
Stats: 14/6-8/Solid 6
WOE: Eating to Run and Running to EAT!
Start Date: August 2002
Beeb,

Your Cinnamon Swirl bread sounds divine! I'm a sucker for ANYTHING Cinnamon!

I'm going to give this a try soon!
chefchick66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 07:58 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 212/200 /goal 150
WOE: Lowcarb
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefchick66
Beeb,

Your Cinnamon Swirl bread sounds divine! I'm a sucker for ANYTHING Cinnamon!

I'm going to give this a try soon!
beeb said Thank you to LCRedhead! so I think the credit goes to her for this recipe???

Why do guys do this to me, I'm trying to lose weight

Last edited by Tater Head; 11-01-2005 at 08:00 AM..
Tater Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 11:26 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ok I couldn't stand it any longer, the bread is in the oven as we speak
Old 11-03-2005, 01:31 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I wanted to give a review on this recipe. It was good, but the carbquik taste came through too much imo. Next time I'll use all carbolose I like it much better for baking things. It was very oily from the whole stick of butter plus butter on top as well, so I'll use a 1/3 less next time. You see how I'm saying next time ? that's because this was good enough to make again with just a few tweaks

Mine sunk in the middle, I think that was because of the butter. It sunk before it was done and never rose again. All in all this will go in my recipe box

Last edited by Tater Head; 11-03-2005 at 01:32 PM..
Old 11-03-2005, 01:33 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Loveton
Stats: (337) 213.6/201.3/160
WOE: HCG - Round 4
Start Date: 4/25/11 - VLCD #1
I made this recipe last night but used a muffin pan instead. They were SO good. My daughter (who is doing low carb too) said they tasted just like the giant muffins you buy at the grocery store. This will be a make again! Loved the portion control with the muffins too. The muffins raised high then sunk in the middle when cooling so the edges were nice and crispy. Thanks for the great recipe!
Loveton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 05:32 PM   #10
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrotchic
5cats4me, I have a question 4U. When you use recipes from here, do you use Jennifer Eloff's LC Bake mix or her Bismix in place of the carbquick ? I was just wondering how Jen's worked in comparison to the carbquick. Thanks
I just read your question, sorry it took so long to answer. I like to use Jen's bake mix because it doesn't have the smell or taste of CQ. It gives you wonderful results without "that taste" that is so hard to mask. I've never seen her Bismix, only the bake mixes. My favorite is her Low Carb Bake mix from the dessert book.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:21 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lgpars
Stats: 222/208/130
WOE: AtkinsO
Start Date: Oct. 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cats4me
I just read your question, sorry it took so long to answer. I like to use Jen's bake mix because it doesn't have the smell or taste of CQ. It gives you wonderful results without "that taste" that is so hard to mask. I've never seen her Bismix, only the bake mixes. My favorite is her Low Carb Bake mix from the dessert book.

Since Jennifer Eloff has several bake mixes plus her Biskmix, can you give me which cookbook of hers you used and the formal name of the bake mix? I know she has three or four regular bake mixes plus her Biskmix one. Thanks.
lgpars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 06:23 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lgpars
Stats: 222/208/130
WOE: AtkinsO
Start Date: Oct. 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cats4me

Meant to also ask you, did you add any extra leavening to the recipe if you used her bake mix that doesn't have leavening in it? Or did you just put what the recipe called for?
lgpars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 09:56 PM   #13

Hi..

I made this tonight..and used some polyd in the sweetener mix..this is very good
and very buttery..I think I only had 1/2 cup of sour cream..so used that instead of
the one cup...and I mixed the 2 Tbs. of butter with the cinnamon mix..which was
fine..Mine rose and sunk a bit as it cooled..but still looks and tastes great..

Yes, I would be anxious to try it with the Carbalose, too..Debbie..
Old 11-05-2005, 05:30 AM   #14
Cake Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater Head
beeb said Thank you to LCRedhead! so I think the credit goes to her for this recipe???

Why do guys do this to me, I'm trying to lose weight
:blush: Me bad...I saw the word Cinnamon and just jumped straight to the recipe... :blush:

LCRedhead...FANTASTIC recipe! I made it last weekend and it was wonderful! I add a couple of teaspoons of cinnamon to the batter for some extra cinnamony flavor.
Old 11-05-2005, 05:32 AM   #15
Cake Lover

[QUOTE=Tater Head] It was good, but the carbquik taste came through too much imo. QUOTE]

Try adding some extra cinnamon in the batter. I did and you couldn't even taste that Carbquik aftertaste. I used about 2 teaspoons directly in the batter. But, I really like a strong, spicy cinnamon flavor so next time, I may bump that up to 1 to 1.5 Tablespoons.
Old 11-05-2005, 10:38 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

[QUOTE
Try adding some extra cinnamon in the batter. I did and you couldn't even taste that Carbquik aftertaste.[/QUOTE]

Thanks but I really perfer carbolose for most things. That's not to say i don't like carbquik I do. I make this recipe below and it's really good, so I'm thinking to just replace the bluberries with the cinnamon swirl mix and it would work out fine. I like the way the swirl looked in the bread so i don't want to add any extra cinnamon to the batter.

I think the polyD is also a very good addition to most bake goods because it gives them a very nice cake like texture.

"Tater's Blueberry muffins"

1 and 3/4 cups carbolose flour
1 + 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
2 + 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup PolyD
pinch salt
1/3 cup E
1/3 cup splenda
3 tsp sweet one
1/2 cup canola oil
1 jumbo egg
1 cup yogurt ( I used greek style from traders)
1 cup fresh blueberries

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
In a large bowl sift together the flour,sugars, baking soda, baking powder, and salt and set aside. I used a wire food strainer for this part.

In another large bowl, whisk together the , oil, egg and yogurt. Add the dry ingredients, blend until smooth. Add 1 cup blueberries to mixture and stir 3 more times.

Add the mixture to greased muffin pans. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from oven and wait 10 seconds before turning out on to cooling rack.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:40 PM   #17
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgpars
Meant to also ask you, did you add any extra leavening to the recipe if you used her bake mix that doesn't have leavening in it? Or did you just put what the recipe called for?

No, I don't add anything different, I just sub the bake mix for the Carbquik. I made this cinnamon loaf today with 1 cup of bake mix and 1/2 cup carbquik. It's very tasty, but it didn't rise, even though I added the baking powder and soda that the recipe called for...??? It kind of sank, but it's very good.

The bake mix I use is from her dessert book called "Splendid Low Carb Desserts"
and it's actually called Low Carb Bake Mix! (pg. 22) Here's the numbers:

Yeild- 3 1/3 cups
Serving size- 1/3 cup
162.9 calories'
14.3g protein
10.3g fat
3.3g carbs

So I figure about 10 carbs per cup. It's a wonderful mix!
Old 11-08-2005, 04:37 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jlatislaw
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 18, 2012
Tater Head - In your muffin recipe you list 3 t. Sweet One. What is the sugar equivilant of the SO? (My SO is in packets) Also, how many muffins did you get? Thanks.

JL
jlatislaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 05:05 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlatislaw
Tater Head - In your muffin recipe you list 3 t. Sweet One. What is the sugar equivilant of the SO? (My SO is in packets) Also, how many muffins did you get? Thanks.

JL
I don't remember how many I got, it's been a while since I made these, I think it was 12 or 18? The sweet one is very strong so that's why you only see tsp in my recipes. 1/4 cup is 6 packets or 2 tsp bulk. I bought a 5 pound bag and store it a large conatainer because I use it along with E, and splenda usually.

If you make mine as a loaf bake for 45-50 minutes

Last edited by Tater Head; 11-08-2005 at 05:11 PM..
Old 11-11-2005, 12:49 PM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: bybs54
Stats: 58 pounds GONE!
WOE: Low Carb/Calorie Aware
Start Date: 1-27-03 GOAL 12-03! Still Maintaining!! :)
If I wanted to make this in a 9 X 13 pan....would I double or triple this or what would you suggest?

I tried it out by cutting the original recipe in half and using a small one quart corning ware dish...it rose and I got 8 nice pieces out of it.

This is a great coffee cake and I want to do this for the holidays with a large number of family members.....thus the 9 X 13 pan....

I too added polyd to both the batter and the swirl.
I also cut the carbquick in half and used a zero carb vanilla bake mix.
I also then topped it with the following Streusel recipe from this board....this recipe is enough Streusel for 12 muffins....not sure if I should double or triple this too? But with the topping I can freeze it if I have any left over cause I use it on my hubby's LC Blueberrylicious muffins now that they don't come with a topping.

The Streusel Topping:
1 cup of Ground Almonds 4
1/3 cup Splenda (can use liquid...or a mixture of sweeteners) I used 1/6 c Erythritol & ½ tsp liquid Splenda 0
1 T Cinnamon .74
1 T poly dextrose (optional) I added it .57
1/8 t Salt 0 DO NOT USE IF ALMONDS ARE SALTED
1/8 cup butter, cut in small pieces (I reduced the butter from ¼ c) .017

So what do you think guys....the original recipe calls for a 9 X 5 X 3 loaf pan....

Thanks for your help!

GOOD FRIENDS ARE LIKE STARS....YOU DON'T ALWAYS SEE THEM, BUT YOU ALWAYS KNOW THEY ARE THERE!!!!!!

I miss ya Pop...Oct. 26, 1918 - Oct. 19, 2006 & Mom...Aug. 20, 1928 - March 30, 2009. Please watch over us all.
bybs54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 03:07 PM   #21

Hi..

Well, when I made my loaf it was pretty high..3-4 inches..high..and the pan was 8 x 5..so that would be 40 square inches..the 9 x 13 is 117 square inches of volume..so if you doubled the recipe, that would work, but the cake would probably be not as tall..more of a 2 inch high coffee cake..You might 2 1/2 times the recipe if you want it taller..I would try doubling it first..to make sure it is done in the middle..and see how you like it.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:14 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mahyde
Stats: 119/110/110
WOE: moderate carbs/Zone
Start Date: April 2001
I made it in the loaf pan and it was very good.....too good as a matter of fact. I did use the Fiber Gel for part of the oil though.
mahyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 05:40 PM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shawneesioux
Stats: 170/128 Maintaining since Aug. 2001. Young 62 Y.O
WOE: just Low Carb my own style
Start Date: 01/30/01
THANK YOU Beeb and LC Redhead!

Looks like we are having a ggod time, putting our individual tweaks in the origional recipes...
I made it as a Coffee cake in an 8 x 10 pan, adding PolyD and various sweeteners...

I LOVE THIS STUFF!
(my LC buddy up the street just reported back, after I dropped off some for her:"BTW...that coffee cake is awesome!!!!" )

Shawnee
shawneesioux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 12:10 PM   #24
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: LCRedhead
Stats: Total Lost 9.5
WOE: SS
Start Date: Aug. 22, 2008
I'm so glad this recipe has come around again. Chef Greg converted this from my mothers recipe. My mom passed away about 4 years ago and when I smell this cooking it brings back wonderful memories.

I am sure this would be wonderful with the muffin top pan shame is I don't have one!! I love seeing all the tweaks! Y'all are awesome. Specially you beeps!
LCRedhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 01:53 PM   #25
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: bybs54
Stats: 58 pounds GONE!
WOE: Low Carb/Calorie Aware
Start Date: 1-27-03 GOAL 12-03! Still Maintaining!! :)
I am so glad for this recipe ...this was our Thanksgiving morning breakfast and will be our Christmas one too! Like I said above...I added a streusel topping and my entire family loves it and has no idea it low carb! I make it in the new 8 X 8 glad baking pans they have a lid that goes on it after its done.

Thanks again!!
bybs54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 10:33 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LadyTexun
Stats: 01-03-11 restart 222/212/175
WOE: Just Lo-Carb
Start Date: 01-'03 (again 01-2010, and again 1-'11)
This recipe is fabulous!!! But I must admit, I tweaked it a bit too... here's what I did

First, I had made this earlier yesterday and it was such a hit with my mom and dad I gave them over 1/2 a loaf leaving nothing for my sis and I so last night I started to assemble the ingredients to make another. I was out of sour cream!! OK... there is a way to fix this.....

8 oz. heavy cream
4 tsp. lemon juice

mix together, let sit for about 15 to 30 minutes...... viola!!! sour cream!!

LCRedhead's Cinnamon Swirl Loaf
(with tweaks)

The Swirl
1/3 C Splenda
1/8 C brown sugar twin
2 tsp ground cinnamon
Mix together in small bowl, set aside
2 TBL melted butter

The Batter
1 1/2 cups Carbalose Flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 C. polyD
Mix together in small bowl, set aside

12 drops Sweetzfree
1/4 C. (SCANT) Erythritol
2 Tbl. Diabetasweet
Mix dry sweetners together, set aside

1/2 C butter (1 stick softened)
3 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 C sour cream

Preheat oven to 350
Brush a 9 x 5 loaf pan with Cake Release, set aside
In large bowl, cream butter, on high speed with electric mixer, until light
Change mixer speed to medium, add the Sweetzfree, continue beating gradually adding dry sweetners until very light and fluffy
Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition
Beat in vanilla
Change mixer speed to low, alternately add dry ingredients and sour cream, beginning and ending with dry ingredients, beating only till combined
Spoon 1/2 batter into prepared loaf pan
Sprinkle 1/2 of the swirl mixture onto batter
Spoon remaining batter into loaf pan
Sprinkle remaining 1/2 of swirl mixture onto batter
Drizzle melted butter over the top
To make the swirl, cut through the battter with a knife several times.
Bake approximately 1 hour until pick inserted into middle comes out clean
Using the Cake Release you should be able to remove the Loaf to a cooling rack immediately.

Now for our more experienced cooks.... how do you think this basic batter would work substituting Pumpkin for the sour cream??
Old 01-10-2006, 08:17 AM   #27
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dancar3
Stats: 127/119/120
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Dec 2005
I've been doing a search on brown sugar twin and can't find out if this is a product you buy (if so where since it's not on Netrition) or is this a mixture of products, if so which ones? Thanks for any help!
dancar3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 12:24 PM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dizneegirl
Brown Sugar Twin is a brand name of a saccharin-based sugar substitute. I find it locally in the baking aisle of my supermarket near the sugar, Splenda and regular Sugar Twin.
dizneegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 03:15 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jlatislaw
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 18, 2012
dancar3 - Have you tried brown Diabetisweet? It's very good.
jlatislaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 08:59 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sher795
Stats: 200/140/130(3rd goal)
WOE: Atkins;Yogurt
Start Date: 8-30-03
Made this last week and agree - WONDERFUL. Not to mention the heavenly cinammon smell throughout my house while baking!
sher795 is offline   Reply With Quote