Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2005, 01:51 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SweetTLC
WOE: Atkins/moderate carbs.
Start Date: Re-inducted mid September 2004.
Crunchy, delicious EGG ROLLS!!!

Pictured above: SweetTLC's Egg Rolls.

I have been wanting to experiment with low carb egg rolls for a long time. When Sherrie created her tortilla recipe (click here for the tortilla recipe: Tortillas Under 1 carb each! HUGE & TASTY) I realized that the tortillas could make good egg roll wrappers. So, today I decided to experiment and here are my results...

SweetTLC's Egg Rolls:

Ingredients:

* 8 - 10 of Sherrie's Tortillas (using the full recipe of batter, make 8 - 10 tortillas instead of 18 - 20...eliminate the parsley and use half of the onion powder)
* 1 pound ground pork
* 1 cup chopped mushrooms
* 1/4 cup minced green onions
* 1 1/2 Tablespoons soy sauce (I used Kikkoman)
* 1 teaspoon sesame oil
* oil for deep fat frying
* 1 beaten egg

Instructions:

Brown the ground pork and then add the mushrooms and cook until soft. Drain. Add the green onions, soy sauce and sesame oil and cook until the liquid has evaporated. Heat the oil in your fryer (I used my Fry Daddy Junior). Take a tortilla (egg roll wrapper) and lay it flat. Put about a 1/4 cup or so of the pork mixture onto one end. CAREFULLY roll up the egg roll tucking the sides in. Using your finger, put a liberal amount of egg all over the free edge of the wrapper and carefully and completely seal the egg roll. Fry the egg rolls one at a time in the oil...be careful...they brown very quickly. Remove from the oil and drain on paper towels.

I served with is a sauce of rice wine vinegar, minced garlic, minced green onion (fresh ginger chunks would be a good addition to the sauce).

As we all know, with egg rolls, you can be very creative with the fillings. I used a very simple pork filling for this experiment but cabbage, chicken, shrimp and even shiratake noodles would make excellent filling ingredients.

The most difficult part of this recipe is making the wrappers (tortillas). Practice makes perfect. Practice making Sherrie's recipe until you get it right...the wrappers can be tricky to make...I usually tear at least one when I make them. Try spraying your parchment with Pam. Make sure to NOT over cook the wrappers...if you over cook the wrappers, the edges will get hard and you will not be able to make egg rolls. In order to make egg rolls, the wrappers must be soft.

These are a bit time consuming to make since you can't just buy ready made wrappers. However, I would advise making at least two batches and frying them up. When they're cool, roll each one individually in wax paper and put them all in a container and freeze. When you want egg rolls in the future, take out the amount that you want and re-fry or bake them. I have NOT tried this with this recipe but I have tried this with egg rolls that I have made with regular egg roll wrappers.

Here are my counts for this recipe:

For 8 egg rolls with pork filling, the count for EACH egg roll is 2.61 net carbs.

Thanks so much, Sherrie for the great tortilla recipe.

God bless.

SweetTLC is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2005, 02:54 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TiffanyHoward
Stats: Fat/Fat/Dang Who's That
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: One Millionth time is a charm...Right?
Those look the bomb!!!!! Cant have them yet, but I will in Owl? What did you think of them ,You really didn't tell us much about the flavor, Ect.
Tiffany
TiffanyHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 04:11 PM   #3
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
YOWZERS those look GREAT!!

I loves me some eggrolls. Will have to put on my "try soon" list!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 10:08 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bigmomma
they sure do! what about adding a little shredded cabbage or beansprouts to the filling for more "asian flavor"? .... sf apricot jam (I still have a couple jars of Keto) with a little rice vinegar & kikkoman would make a nice dipping sauce or even some lc ketchup? Hey!! these also look like the perfect wrappers for chimichangas (some taco-seasoned meat, salsa & cheese) but I guess idea was probably already mentioned in the original thread....will try these this weekeknd!
bigmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 10:11 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Hi there.

Oops...I thought of that after I posted...that I really hadn't said much about the flavor...only how to make them. :blush: Personally, I really liked them a lot. I am a big egg roll fan (that is one of the items I have been known to cheat for in the past) so I have been thinking about how I could make some when I am really having a craving for them...I want to keep myself from cheating. Anyway, these did satisfy my craving.

Depending on where you normally get your fried egg rolls, there are usually two main kinds of wrappers...a really thin and super crisp wrapper and a thicker crunchy but not so crisp wrapper. The egg rolls that I made today would fit into that latter category. Yes, the "tortillas" that I used were intended to be tortillas and not egg roll wrappers but these make WAY better egg rolls than say a La Tortilla brand tortilla would Those tortillas are decent for tortillas but as egg roll wrappers...YUCK. Anyway, the egg rolls that I made today were not as delectable as my local FAVORITE vietnamese place but they were pretty tasty. My husband liked them a lot and he gave them two thumbs up We ate them with Filipino style chicken adobo.

As I mentioned in my post above, these were time consuming to make but if you are having a craving, I think that the work would be worth it. The pork filling was delicious (I used to use that filling to make potstickers) and the sauce REALLY made them. I used a Filipino style sauce...rice wine vinegar (about a quarter cup) mixed with a clove of minced garlic and green onion...sounds weird (it did to me at first) but this really does make a terrific sauce for egg rolls. Anyway, I would give this egg roll recipe four out of five stars...they are time consuming but they are a very tasty although not perfect egg roll substitute...they satisfied my cravings, they are VERY low carb and filling (they are a meal in themselves) and I will make them again.

God bless.

God bless.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:17 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Hi bigmomma...

Oh definately, there could be MANY other fillings that you could use and there are many other dipping sauces that you could use too. If I can find those shirataki noodles locally, I would love to try shrimp, mushrooms, noodles, green onions and grated ginger...mmmm. And yes, I was thinking today that I will try to use these wrappers again to make mini chimichangas...YUM.

I found these wrappers to be very fragile...so, you can't stuff the wrappers very full or they will surely break...so, whatever you use as a filling, start by using only about a quarter cup and work your way up from there.

God bless.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:32 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LaJavaBleue
Looks yummy!
LaJavaBleue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 11:52 PM   #8
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: SugarBabi
WOE: My Own Type Of Low Carb
Start Date: 2/12/2005
I wanna try these out for sure! I love Sherrie's tortillas and I make them all the time. It does take a bit of practice to get the hang of them at first though, but they are worth the effort and very compatible.
Thanks for the egg roll recipe/idea.
SugarBabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 04:46 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ClikChik
Stats: 135/135/110
WOE: LC
Start Date: 9/2/2014
Isn't Sherrie's recipe induction friendly... I mean as long as you don't eat the whole batch? I know her recipes are great. Love her cornbread recipe!
ClikChik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 11:15 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Hi ClikChik

I think that the only thing that might be "iffy" in Sherrie's recipe as it pertains to induction would be the Atkins bake mix...but I remember a while back at the Atkins site (before they revamped the whole thing) that they listed the Atkins mix as being okay for induction. So, maybe it's a matter of opinion.

God bless.
Old 10-29-2005, 07:33 PM   #11
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

I think Sherrie's wraps have 1-2 carbs each and depending on how many carbs you are having on induction, I think you could have a couple. Of course if you are doing the strict two-week beginning induction, then I wouldn't have any until after that.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:30 AM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Zenngrl
Stats: Tight 18/----/Comfy 12 is my goal! - 5'6
WOE: ESE
Start Date: 1/11/11
Can you sub the atkins mix for carbquik?
Zenngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 11:48 AM   #13
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

All I can say is to experiment. I haven't tried it with carbquick myself--hopefully someone else has and will see this post.

I used the recipe to make your own atkins mix. I do know some people have used other low carb baking mixes, so I'd say it's definitely worth a try.

If you do try it out, please post your results, okay. Good luck with this.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:21 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Zenngrl
Stats: Tight 18/----/Comfy 12 is my goal! - 5'6
WOE: ESE
Start Date: 1/11/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarBabi
All I can say is to experiment. I haven't tried it with carbquick myself--hopefully someone else has and will see this post.

I used the recipe to make your own atkins mix. I do know some people have used other low carb baking mixes, so I'd say it's definitely worth a try.

If you do try it out, please post your results, okay. Good luck with this.
I have seen several people say that carbquik is pretty much interchangable with Atkins mix. I think I will try it this weekend when I have time and patience!!
Zenngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 01:35 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LowCarbConvert
Stats: (147/120/115) 5'
Start Date: March 2004
SweetTLC, They look & sound great. But I have one question about the general texture & fragility of the wrappers. You said :"I used to use that filling to make potstickers"... Well, do you think they would work for pot stickers?

That would be really, really cool.
LowCarbConvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 04:58 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Zengrl:

Hi there. I have not tried to make Sherrie's tortillas with Carbquick but it would be worth a try. The next time that I make them, I will probably try making them with Carbquick because I am out of Atkins Mix and I do not have the ingredients to make the "knock off" version right now.

LowCarbConvert:

Hi. When I wasn't low carbing, I used to make potstickers and wontons a few times per year...I love them...I would usually make the steamed version of potstickers and when I made wontons, I'd usually make the fried version. When I made them, I either used the premade potsticker and wonton wrappers that I found in the grocery store refrigerated section in the produce by the egg roll wrappers...or, I would make them using homemade potsticker dough (the homemade dough was very tricky to make). Sherrie's tortillas are do not have the texture of a potsticker wrapper or wonton wrapper...the tortillas are very much like a crepe in texture. So, if you wanted to try to make potstickers with them, you could make fried potstickers but not steamed ones...in my opinion, Sherrie's tortillas would not work well at all for steamed potstickers or steamed wontons. HOWEVER, you could cut the tortillas into small circles or squares using a cookie cutter and you could add some cream cheese filling or Asian pork filling in the center of each cut shape...you could then carefully seal the edges using egg (like I did for the egg rolls) and you could fry those...they would be very much like a fried wonton or potsticker, I think. : ) Yum!
Old 11-16-2005, 05:22 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

SweetTLC, thank you.
I've always loved potstickers, both steamed and fried. I used to make them often. I tried one recently at our local Chinese restaurant and was shocked at how unpleasantly gummy it was. Yet, they were made the same as ever at this restaurant. Amazing how our tastes change after eating this way for so long!

So I guess we could always fry the pork filling in little meatballs, serve with the dipping sauce, and not really miss the wrapper.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:34 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

You're welcome, LowCarbConvert...

I think that your potsticker idea using the tortillas would work great if they're fried...some seafood and cream cheese wontons would be delish. I think that making meatballs out of the potsticker pork filling would be awesome! : )

God bless.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:33 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Oh I just had a thought... crab rangoon!
Old 11-16-2005, 08:31 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Now you're talkin'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God bless.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:35 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: robirdstx
WOE: eat less, move more
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetTLC

Pictured above: SweetTLC's Egg Rolls.

I have been wanting to experiment with low carb egg rolls for a long time. When Sherrie created her tortilla recipe (click here for the tortilla recipe: Tortillas Under 1 carb each! HUGE & TASTY) I realized that the tortillas could make good egg roll wrappers. So, today I decided to experiment and here are my results...

SweetTLC's Egg Rolls:

Ingredients:

* 8 - 10 of Sherrie's Tortillas (using the full recipe of batter, make 8 - 10 tortillas instead of 18 - 20...eliminate the parsley and use half of the onion powder)
* 1 pound ground pork
* 1 cup chopped mushrooms
* 1/4 cup minced green onions
* 1 1/2 Tablespoons soy sauce (I used Kikkoman)
* 1 teaspoon sesame oil
* oil for deep fat frying
* 1 beaten egg

Instructions:

Brown the ground pork and then add the mushrooms and cook until soft. Drain. Add the green onions, soy sauce and sesame oil and cook until the liquid has evaporated. Heat the oil in your fryer (I used my Fry Daddy Junior). Take a tortilla (egg roll wrapper) and lay it flat. Put about a 1/4 cup or so of the pork mixture onto one end. CAREFULLY roll up the egg roll tucking the sides in. Using your finger, put a liberal amount of egg all over the free edge of the wrapper and carefully and completely seal the egg roll. Fry the egg rolls one at a time in the oil...be careful...they brown very quickly. Remove from the oil and drain on paper towels.

I served with is a sauce of rice wine vinegar, minced garlic, minced green onion (fresh ginger chunks would be a good addition to the sauce).

As we all know, with egg rolls, you can be very creative with the fillings. I used a very simple pork filling for this experiment but cabbage, chicken, shrimp and even shiratake noodles would make excellent filling ingredients.

The most difficult part of this recipe is making the wrappers (tortillas). Practice makes perfect. Practice making Sherrie's recipe until you get it right...the wrappers can be tricky to make...I usually tear at least one when I make them. Try spraying your parchment with Pam. Make sure to NOT over cook the wrappers...if you over cook the wrappers, the edges will get hard and you will not be able to make egg rolls. In order to make egg rolls, the wrappers must be soft.

These are a bit time consuming to make since you can't just buy ready made wrappers. However, I would advise making at least two batches and frying them up. When they're cool, roll each one individually in wax paper and put them all in a container and freeze. When you want egg rolls in the future, take out the amount that you want and re-fry or bake them. I have NOT tried this with this recipe but I have tried this with egg rolls that I have made with regular egg roll wrappers.

Here are my counts for this recipe:

For 8 egg rolls with pork filling, the count for EACH egg roll is 2.61 net carbs.

Thanks so much, Sherrie for the great tortilla recipe.

God bless.

I made these for the first time today and they were awesome. I only tore one wrap but was able to redo the folding so that it didn't go to waste. I made 6 egg rolls, ate 2 myself and my non-lowcarbing DH ate the other 4. He said they were great! Thanks for the recipe.
robirdstx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 10:24 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Hello Robirdstx. : )

I am so glad that you enjoyed these! I think that they are GOOD!!! They certainly satisfy a craving. My husband is Filipino and he misses lumpia (like egg rolls) so these served with that vinegar based sauce are perfect when he craves lumpia. I should make these again...it has been a while. ; ) God bless.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:37 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: graciejean
I want some of those now,sounds real good
graciejean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:33 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 142/119.6/115
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: April 2014
I've made them with carbquick.taste fine.I also omit the splendid and parsley.I use 2 tbs the hopping cream/2tbs water in place of the buttermilk.
Idreamofweightloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:51 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

I seriously dont remember posting the above post on here. How weird is that. I may try these this week though.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:56 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Sweet TLC ...Are you deep frying these? Or do I stick them in a pan and fry one side the turn and fry the other? I have a frydaddy as well, dont think its a jr though.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:37 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Gibbs
Stats: 322/306/180-ish (5'6")
WOE: My own low-carb way
Start Date: 8/20/14 for yet another time
This thread made me nosey so I had to try something. A cheese stick wrapped up in a Mama Lupe tortilla, used a little egg to seal it and in the deep fryer it went. Not half bad. It just sucks I didn't have any Philly and crab to make a crab rangoon!
Gibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:40 PM   #28
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I haven't made these in a long time, Yes you can deep fry them.

I'm not sure it will work with the carbquick Teresa, I hope it works.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:51 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

I've made the tortillas with carbquick they work well. Now I've not fried them though.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:18 AM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: wishbone
Stats: 260/158/160
WOE: low carb my weigh
saw a pic of a rueben egg roll the other day from one of my food suppliers....looked like an idea to me !!!!
wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote