Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2005, 07:41 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Whole Foods

I'm thinking about making a trip to Whole Foods in Houston, and also Central Market. What low carb goodies should I look for? I'm specifically looking for soy grits and almond flour, but I'd like some other ideas.
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2005, 07:55 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: faemajik
I am going to Arlington today to the whole foods there, and plan on checking out them shiritaki( or however they spell them) noodles

also almond flour
faemajik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 08:00 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Going there is like going to Disneyland for me!

The Whole Food's philosophy is not really LC, but they have ingredients there, such as you are looking for.

Central Market used to have the whole LC thing going, but can't speak for now, as it has been a few years. I just about fainted at the prices though. But I am extra thrifty (cheap) at times.

Just enjoy and browze. Dangerous for me!

You might want to visit the Kroger Signature Store across the SW Freeway on Buffalo Speedway, about a block south from the freeway.

It is quite LC friendly, and the nicest Kroger I've ever visited. I can sometimes find things there I can't find anywhere else.

All if you want to spend the money to drive to Houston.

Let me know if you want to include some other stops in the general vicinity. . .like a super hardware that has cookware others don't always have. . .just for fun.
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 08:08 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CMIODOWS
WOE: ATKINS
Start Date: 11/17/03
I know there will be a lot of negative responses to this - but I love their Artesian low carb bread. They have a new slicer at the two Whole Food Stores I go to. They will slice it super thin. I think the count they give is 3, but I usually count it as 5. It's better than any bread I have ever had. We always toast it though.
CMIODOWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 08:37 AM   #5

I'm really not all that interested in finding actual low carb products. I'm more interested in foods that can be used to make low carb dishes. I also just like to see all the interesting things that they sell there whether I buy them or not. I do remember that Central Market was rather pricey the last time I was there, but back then they sold Gram's Gourmet Flax and Nut Crunchies so I just had to try them. I'll probably just end up wandering down every single aisle so that I don't miss anything, but it's still nice to have a few things in mind before I go. Thanks for the ideas.

magnamater, are you talking about Buffalo Hardware? I went there once many years ago and they do have a lot of neat cooking gadgets.

The Kroger Signature store where I shop every week has a pretty good supply of Bob's Red Mill products and things like that, but there are a few things they don't carry. I've been trying to find Walden Farms maple syrup, which I heard that some Kroger stores carry. Do you know if the one you mentioned carries it? I know they won't have it at Whole Foods, but I wonder if Central Market would have it.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:39 AM   #6

I just thought of something else. If I go down there and spend a few hours shopping, I'll probably want to stop for a bite to eat. What's in that area that is low carb friendly? Nothing too expensive, but it doesn't have to be fast food.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:50 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

LindaSue, can't help you with Walden Farms maple syrup. . .and I agree about the LC products.

MY favorite hardware is Bering's Hardware. A real experience, with lots of everything. It is on Weslayan south of SW Freeway at Bissonet (by the Michael's), or the other location is on Westheimer west of Fountainview. Some of the stuff is pricey, but I found a nutmeg grater better than the cylinder sold every where else--a mill, and I've never seen it anywhere else. . .they have that kind of thing. It's another browse sort of place.

Why don't you post what you find/buy when you go! I love to go, but don't treat myself very often. . .those places aren't in my routine, though they aren't far.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:56 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

LindaSue, go to Beck's Prime, on Kirby--you will pass it on the west side of the street going to Whole Foods. Just before Alabama.

Of course you might have to throw away a bun, or ask for it without, but the mushroom chicken/or burger. . .used to be my favorite. I wasn't LCing in the day when I ate there so much. Can't tell you about salads, etc.

It is gourmet fast food. (expensive for fast food, not for the quality of the food--which is fabulous)

If I think of anything else, I'll post later.

p.s. I used to work about a block from Whole Foods, so that's why I know the place so well! Besides growing up in the area. . .
Old 10-03-2005, 09:02 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thought of another: for LindaSue, restaurants.

Taco Milagro! Their salads with chicken are fab. FRESH is the word here.

I hear this is the place to be seen. . .

It is one block north of Alabama on corner of Kirby and Westheimer, on NE corner.

Try the Mango Tea. . .with lime.

Again, it is gourmet fast food. Owned by the same people that do Cafe Express and the oriental place I can't remember, it's new. . .
Old 10-03-2005, 10:00 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnamater
LindaSue, can't help you with Walden Farms maple syrup. . .and I agree about the LC products.

MY favorite hardware is Bering's Hardware. A real experience, with lots of everything. It is on Weslayan south of SW Freeway at Bissonet (by the Michael's), or the other location is on Westheimer west of Fountainview. Some of the stuff is pricey, but I found a nutmeg grater better than the cylinder sold every where else--a mill, and I've never seen it anywhere else. . .they have that kind of thing. It's another browse sort of place.

Why don't you post what you find/buy when you go! I love to go, but don't treat myself very often. . .those places aren't in my routine, though they aren't far.
I'd forgotten about Bering's Hardware. I was going to go there the same day that I went to Buffalo Hardware that time, but for some reason we decided not to stop there. Do you think that Bering's is the better of the two?
Old 10-03-2005, 10:11 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 212/200 /goal 150
WOE: Lowcarb
Well I don't shop there that often but here are some things I get when i do go.

xanthan gum in spice jar size
soy grits
decaf Kona coffee
TVP
Wonder cocoa
Edens black soy beans
cinnamon oil
Chirardelli bars
kefir
flaxseed
mushroom bouillon cubes

Some of these things are cheaper at other places.

Last edited by Tater Head; 10-03-2005 at 10:16 AM..
Tater Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 10:12 AM   #12

Quote:
LindaSue, go to Beck's Prime, on Kirby--you will pass it on the west side of the street going to Whole Foods. Just before Alabama.

Of course you might have to throw away a bun, or ask for it without, but the mushroom chicken/or burger. . .used to be my favorite. I wasn't LCing in the day when I ate there so much. Can't tell you about salads, etc.

It is gourmet fast food. (expensive for fast food, not for the quality of the food--which is fabulous)

If I think of anything else, I'll post later.

p.s. I used to work about a block from Whole Foods, so that's why I know the place so well! Besides growing up in the area. . .
I see that Beck's Prime is featuring something called Becks Prime Bunless Hot Plates. Here's their menu:

Quite a few of them sound really good, but I'm not too sure about the tortilla strips and wild rice on some of them. These four sound especially good to me:

Kitchen Sink
Double Breasted Dreamland
Hot Meat Salad
Chili Con Yummy

Thanks for the tip. This might be just THE PLACE.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:21 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow! I'm wanting the double breasted dreamland myself!

I like Bering's Hardware for the beauty of the experience! I might not buy, but I'm gonna enjoy the trip! It's an experience, for me. Better than a trip to the Galleria, for me, but on the same order. Except they have things I can't find any where else.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:32 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater Head
Well I don't shop there that often but here are some things I get when i do go.

xanthan gum in spice jar size
soy grits
decaf Kona coffee
TVP
Wonder cocoa
Edens black soy beans
cinnamon oil
Chirardelli bars
kefir
flaxseed
mushroom bouillon cubes

Some of these things are cheaper at other places.
I was going to look for golden flax meal there. Mushroom bouillon cubes sound wonderful. What is Wonder Cocoa? I can tell that I'm going to have a lot of fun!
Old 10-03-2005, 11:12 AM   #15
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Check out the bulk bins at Whole Foods. I get lots of stuff from those, including flax (and yes, they have golden, at least here they do) and TVP and whole grains or steel-cut oats.

They also have the Greek yogurt and I love their fresh mozzarella too. Of course their meats are organic, they have some grass fed too, and it's delicious albeit pretty pricey. We don't call it "Whole Paycheck" for nuthin'!

Char
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 11:41 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 212/200 /goal 150
WOE: Lowcarb
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaSue
I was going to look for golden flax meal there. Mushroom bouillon cubes sound wonderful. What is Wonder Cocoa? I can tell that I'm going to have a lot of fun!

It is decaf cocoa powder.
Tater Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 09:50 AM   #17
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Laurenaddict
Stats: 216/206/156
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12-03 restarted 10-05
The HEB close to me, Sugar Land/Missouri City is starting to look like a mini Central Market!! Prices to go along with it too.
Laurenaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 10:08 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I forgot they have unsweetened coconut. . .one of the few places I can find it.

You use coconut in your Crunchies. . .what kind do you use, and where do you buy it?

Inquiring Minds Want To Know!
Old 10-04-2005, 02:04 PM   #19

Quote:
I forgot they have unsweetened coconut. . .one of the few places I can find it.

You use coconut in your Crunchies. . .what kind do you use, and where do you buy it?

Inquiring Minds Want To Know!
I get mine at Kroger. It's their store brand. For a few weeks, a while back, they had them buy one/get one free so I really stocked up. It's $1.19 for a 5 ounce bag. You'll find it in the baking aisle next to the sweetened coconut.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:02 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: embwriting
Stats: Size 14/Size 6/Size 6
WOE: Atkins 72/Kimkins
Start Date: January 2000
I'm so envious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaSue
I just thought of something else. If I go down there and spend a few hours shopping, I'll probably want to stop for a bite to eat. What's in that area that is low carb friendly? Nothing too expensive, but it doesn't have to be fast food.
That sounds like a fun trip, LindaSue... wish I could come along!

It's fun exploring parts of cities like that.

Have a great trip! I hope you find lots of treasures!
embwriting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 10:04 AM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DC526
LindaSue, I live in Pearland and I always buy my soy grits from Kroger. I also found a "treasure" in my Super Target...golden flaxmeal.

Hope you were successsful at Whole Foods. I will have to make a trip there soon...I want to try the table cream fudge and I need the wonder cocoa.
DC526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 10:33 AM   #22

I would have posted this yesterday, but our internet was dead all day. My husband and I had a very nice day shopping in downtown Houston Saturday. The weather was gorgeous. It was sunny and not too hot, probably in the mid-80's. Our first stop was the Whole Foods Market on Kirby. From there we walked to Bed Bath & Beyond and then to Becks Prime for lunch. After lunch we drove to Central Market and then to Bering's Hardware. It was a long day, but I did find most of the things I was looking for, except for the shirataki noodles. I was also looking for some mushroom bouillon, that someone said they'd found at Whole Foods, but they didn't have any bouillon there except some veggie cubes for vegetarians and no mushroom flavored. I did get some mushroom broth and mushroom base at Central Market though. Although Whole Foods didn't have any Bob's Red Mill soy grits, they do sell them in their bulk food section. The Kitchen Table Bakers that I mention below are just like the cheese crisps that I make, but they taste like they're made from parmesan cheese and they have added seasonings. I'm going to try to duplicate them one of these days.

BECKS PRIME
Kitchen Sink: 1/2 pound burger topped with sautéed onions, Swiss cheese and bacon with a side of guacamole. I also ordered some sautéed mushrooms for my burger and also a side of their grilled veggies: red onions, red and green peppers, zucchini, yellow squash. tomatoes and mushrooms. I ate half and took the rest home and had it for dinner that night.

BED BATH & BEYOND
Silicone basting brush
2 teaspoon Oxo cookie scoop (use to make low carb cookies or meatballs)

BERING'S HARDWARE
1 teaspoon Norpro cookie scoop (just the right size for Sesame Almond Crackers - see picture below)

WHOLE FOODS
almond butter - $7.99lb (just bought a tiny bit to try)
cashew butter - $4.99lb (just bought a tiny bit to try)
almond flour - $6.99lb
soy grits - $1.69lb
Bob's Red Mill golden flax meal (cheaper at Netrition) - $4.29
unsweetened organic coconut flakes - $1.49lb (see picture below)
True Lemon - $3.29 (see picture below)

No shirataki noodles at Whole Foods

CENTRAL MARKET
Lindt 85% cocoa chocolate bars - $2.39
pattypan squash (see picture below)
Kitchen Table Bakers Gourmet Cheese Crackers (Garlic, Onion Poppy Seed, Sesame - just cheese and seasonings) - $5.99 each (see picture below)
Hansen's black cherry soda (sweetened with Splenda and AceK) - $1.99 6-pack
1 quart carton mushroom broth - $1.99 (see picture below)
Better than Bouillon mushroom base (does have some sugar in it) - $3.79
hazelnut meal - $9.49lb
pecan meal - $5.29lb

PATTYPAN SQUASH

KITCHEN TABLE BAKERS

1 TEASPOON COOKIE SCOOP

ORGANIC MUSHROOM BROTH

COCONUT FLAKES

TRUE LEMON
Old 10-17-2005, 10:53 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, LindaSue, for your findings.

I have one more place that I thought of, now that you've already gone.

It's on Ashcroft, between Bissonet and Bellaire Blvd. out past (west) of Bellaire, so it really isn't all that close.

Called Houston Pecan Company. They sell bulk nuts, very high quality, and sell the pecan meal. Don't have prices, as I buy once a year and freeze/refrig. I'll let you know this year when I go--3-4 weeks, and if they are doing the almond meal.

I'll have to make a run again, since I missed a few goodies. . .but I really am only 15 minutes at most.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:58 AM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Okay, about the above post on Houston Pecan Company.

They have a web site (Google it)

Pecan meal is
$8.25 for 3 lbs.
$3. a lb.

Almond meal is
$18.75 for 3 lbs.
$6.50 a lb.

The quality of their offerings is stupendous.

Been going there for over 20 years.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:08 AM   #25

Quote:
Okay, about the above post on Houston Pecan Company.

They have a web site (Google it)

Pecan meal is
$8.25 for 3 lbs.
$3. a lb.

Almond meal is
$18.75 for 3 lbs.
$6.50 a lb.

The quality of their offerings is stupendous.

Been going there for over 20 years.
Thanks for the tip. I'll keep them in mind. We couldn't have gone there on Saturday anyway. They're not open on Saturdays according to their site. They only open on Saturdays in November and December.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:36 PM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Know this doesn't make a hill of beans difference but I find it facinating.

The owner of the Houston Pecan Company was one of Schindler's List, for real. He almost always helps his customers, and there is a newspaper article about it on the wall at this hole in the wall.

It is in one of those warehouse strips. "Map it" before you try to go.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:18 PM   #27

Quote:
Know this doesn't make a hill of beans difference but I find it facinating.

The owner of the Houston Pecan Company was one of Schindler's List, for real. He almost always helps his customers, and there is a newspaper article about it on the wall at this hole in the wall.

It is in one of those warehouse strips. "Map it" before you try to go.
I guess that explains why they're closed on Saturdays.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:20 PM   #28
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: SugarBabi
WOE: My Own Type Of Low Carb
Start Date: 2/12/2005
Hi LindaSue,
I don't want to be a threadjacker, but do you mind letting me know what kind of a camera you use?
Your pictures always are so great. I'd love to have a camera that takes pictures that good. I've been looking around for a new one. My old one never gets the lighting right.

Your shopping trip sounds like a lot of fun and that menu makes my mouth water just to read it. Ummm....
SugarBabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 05:05 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarBabi
Hi LindaSue,
I don't want to be a threadjacker, but do you mind letting me know what kind of a camera you use?
Your pictures always are so great. I'd love to have a camera that takes pictures that good. I've been looking around for a new one. My old one never gets the lighting right.

Your shopping trip sounds like a lot of fun and that menu makes my mouth water just to read it. Ummm....
You're not going to believe this, but my camera is probably the cheapest one you can buy. It's a Visioneer. I paid around $70 for it and it's only a 2.5 mega pixel. It takes great photos for the web, but not so great regular photos. A couple of tricks that I've figured out are to put my food under the hood light of my stove and I don't use a flash. It's easier to brighten a somewhat dark photo than to try and repair a photo that's been washed out by the flash.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:38 AM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: razberry
WOE: lower carb/low-glycemic w/portion control
Hey fellow Texans!!! I wish there were a Whole Foods Market in my area (Waco). I think the closest one is probably Austin. Too far for me to drive for shopping. I may have to make a weekend trip of it, though. These things sound and look so great. I'll have to go back and look at them all again.
razberry is offline   Reply With Quote