Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2005, 04:25 PM   #1
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Joycelyn
Cooking with Coconut Flour

I am very excited about a book I just ordered off amazon titled Cooking with Coconut Flour by Bruce Fife.

Coconut flour is very low carb, 1 net carb per 2 tb. This is not like almond meal or other nut meals, it is actually ground to the very fine consistency of white flour.

I went onto a website that sells coconut flour (it must be doing well because they were out of stock), and it was said that in baked goods, coconut flour can be used as a total replacement for white flour. Some other sites say you can use up to 20% replacement for white flour, but then again I saw lots of recipes using ONLY coconut flour.

Anyone use this? I can't wait to get my book and also order some flour, because I adore low carb baking. Just thought I'd share. If Netrition offers it, I'll order from them.
Joycelyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2005, 10:09 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
Joycelyn, thanks for telling us. I'm going to see if my local B&N has it. Wouldn't that be great if you could use all coconut flour?! Or maybe a combo of coconut and almond? Let us know what you make!
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 10:19 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Queen Mab
Mmmmm...that sounds wonderful. Thanks for posting. off to google coconut flour!
Queen Mab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 12:07 PM   #4
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

I know. For those of us dedicated to lowcarbing, this sounds great.

I do a lot of lowcarb baking, so I am always looking for new ingredients, etc. to use. I really love coconut and I'm wondering if the coconut flour is refined to remove all coconut flavor, or if it tastes like coconut, like virgin coconut oil does. Either way, it sounds like a good ingredient to have!

Anyway, the book should arrive in a day or two. In the meantime I'm off to order my coconut flour.

Lowcarbing has normalized my blood sugar and moods so much, that even if (God forbid) I don't lose another pound, I'd never give up this way of eating. Anything new I learn about low carbing, including new low carb food finds, I like to share with others!

Anyone else out there heard of or use coconut flour?
Old 09-23-2005, 04:22 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jokath
Stats: Then 190/144/144...Now 190/156/155
WOE: Low carb/Gluten Free
Start Date: January 2003
I bake with coconut flour. It is loaded with fiber and very low in carbs. I love anything that tastes like coconut so when I was baking a lot this was perfect for me. It is not as fine as flour but not as coarse as almond meal. And yes it does taste like coconut. When I bake I substitute 1/2 of the coconut flour for the baking mix that the recipe calls for. It makes wonderful zucchini muffins and scones.

Let me know what you think of it...
jokath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 06:26 AM   #6
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

jokath, I have a favorite low carb cake recipe I created. It uses flax meal, Atkins chocolate shake mix, egg, butter, unsweetened baking chocolate squares, virgin coconut oil, vanilla, heavy cream, egg, and baking powder, and sometimes nuts. When I get the flour I'm going to play around with the recipe and use the flour instead of the nuts. The virgin coconut oil adds a rich coconut flavor, and I think the coconut flour will only compliment that.
Old 09-24-2005, 06:27 AM   #7
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Oh my! I just noticed your stats! You're doing great! Keep up the good work!
Old 09-24-2005, 06:53 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hmay60
Start Date: July 05, 2004
Okay now I am wondering if we could grind the unsweetened cocconut in the coffee grinder like the flax seed. What does everyone think? Thanks
hmay60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 02:59 PM   #9
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: SugarBabi
WOE: My Own Type Of Low Carb
Start Date: 2/12/2005
Thanks for posting this. It sounds great!!

Before low carb, I used Tony Chacherone's (sp) coconut shrimp mix to make onion rings. I always added some soy flour to it and used club soda instead of water. Best onion rings I ever made.

I can't wait to order coconut flour and the recipe book and "invent" some low carb onion rings.

The Tony brand did have fine coconut in it, but the onion rings never had a sweet or coconut taste to them, but the crust was wonderful and they stayed crispy, that's the part I liked the best.

hmay60 - the last time I ordered Now foods coconut, it was so crushed up, it looked like it had been food processed, but I used it and I can't tell that it was coconut, so I'd say it's worth experimenting with. However, I don't know if a pound of coconut is cheaper than a pound of coconut flour. Have to scout around and find out, I guess. Let us know if you try it and how it works, okay.

Last edited by SugarBabi; 09-24-2005 at 03:01 PM..
SugarBabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 04:27 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

I have used the coconut flour to bread shrimp and also for chicken. I bet you could mix the coconut flour with carbalose or whatever flour sub you use to make the onion rings. You could probably grind your own coconut in a coffee grinder, it works for almonds.

Where did you order the coconut recipe book from?? I cant find many recipes that use coconut flour. Maybe as more people begin to use it there will be more.

Thanks Joycelyn!!
Old 09-26-2005, 09:48 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
i will put some coconut in my magic bullet and see how it turns out. should work fine. i already grind up wheat bran in it and use in place of flour....it's like eating whole grain frour...perfect texture. so i don't see why not. can't wait!
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 06:44 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kaygirl
The Coconut Balls recipe found on this site sounds so YUMMY!

Coconut Flour Recipe

Coconut Balls
Ingredients:

Sweetener: approximately 3/4 cup (may use any sweetener of your choice
Eggs: 2
Coconut Flour: approximately 2 cups
Orange peel from 1 orange
Whisk the eggs until they are stiff together with the sugar. Add the grated orange peel. When the mixture is frothy, add the coconut flour. Add enough coconut flour until it is crumbly but still soft and moist. Let it rest for 5 minutes.

Grease an oven pan and form small balls with your hands from the mixture. The mixture should be just perfect for making into balls. Arrange them on the pan. Put them into the oven when it is hot and bake for 15 minutes at a medium temperature
kaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 06:47 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: parrotchic
I get my CF book today, I can't wait to try some recipes. I bought some Coc. Flour a long time ago and only used it a couple of times. I found it made my recipes very dry, I just didn't take the time to work with it. Now with Dr. Fifes book it will all be done for me so I can have fun with it. When the book gets here this afternoon I'll let ya know what it's like.
parrotchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 07:45 AM   #14
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Great! Keep us posted.

Because I'm considered a "prime" member with amazon, I get free shipping and I don't pay any tax. But I say if you can get a better deal on the book, go for it!

I should get mine today. Can't wait!
Old 09-27-2005, 04:00 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Hey everyone I got my book! There's some really great info about coconut flour it's fiber content and it being low carb, so far I'm loving it. As for the recipes they are really easy and can be converted to LCing. Dr. Fife doesn't use any other flour with the coconut flour in his recipes, he also uses COil & CMilk.
Here's the Contents;
CHapter 1 Coconut Flour
Chapter 2 Quick Breads
Chapter 3 Muffins
Chapter 4 Cookies & Crackers
Chapter 5 Cakes
Chapter 6 pies & Pastries
Chapter 7 Savory Dishes
It's all about 160 pages. There's more sweet dishes than savory.
He has some pie crusts in here that I never even thought of making that sound so good and their low carb.
I really recommend this cook book, it's a keeper for me. Now off to try some out.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:21 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CRosie
Stats: 266/186/150
WOE: my own low carb/sometimes lowfat plan
Start Date: May 21, 2007
I just ordered and received mine too!

I am only part way through the book, but seems there are different cooking temps and ingredients for cooking with partial coconut flour and total coconut flour in a recipe. For total coconut flour, it looks like you must use equal amounts of oil and eggs.

Interesting. I am trying to find the section that discusses what happens when you take sugar out of the muffin recipes.

This could be fun! Rosie
CRosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 05:23 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Another thing to add, when Dr. Fife uses the coconut flour he calls for it to be sifted. He says coconut flour prduces light & delicious cakes. I'm going to try and come up with a bake mix using the coconut flour. Dr. Fife also came out with a non-stick cooking oil for baking. I guess it's sold a health food stores, I'll have to check mine.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:26 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

CRosie, what are you going to make first? I'm thinking an apple pie using his pie crust. My kids and I are going to an apple orchard this saturday to pick apples, pumpkins,ect. I can't wait.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:21 PM   #19
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Boy, I can't wait to hear the first reviews from the "great coconut flour experiments" - so get busy, you two!

Char
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 08:47 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Yes, do post your results. I am going to look for the book tomorrow.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:45 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

OK, I couldn't wait any long I had to bake something. I made the Pumpkin Bread on pg.52 and it turned out wonderful. The texture is great and boy is it moist, the best thing is it doesn't have any funky flavor like you get from some of the LC Bake mixes. It was nice for a change to have to use only ONE type of flour instead of many mixed together. There was a slight coconut flour after taste that's hard to describe it's a flavor all it's own. If you have any coconut flour on hand taste it and you'll see what I mean. C Flour is very different to cook with than any other flour, I recommend you buy this book to understand how to cook with the flour, it's the very opposite of cooking with other flours. If your batter is to thick you don't keep adding a liquid you add fats. Dr. Fife mentions that this is the only cook book on the market that uses 100% coconut flour in the recipes, most will use 75% wheat, oat, ect. plus 25% C Flour and that means low fiber and higher carbs. He's all for fiber!
Along with the apple pie this weekened I want to try his bacon or sausage muffins on page 68. There's also Dumplings, Drop Biscuits, Coconut Fried Chicken, Chicken Pot pie with only a top crust. Lots of goodies, I'll be running out of flour soon. Netrition is going to have to sell 5lb bags of this stuff, I'm to lazy to try and grind my own.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:26 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Ok thats it, I have to order the book soon....
Old 09-28-2005, 06:50 PM   #23
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

I got my book late yesterday and it was worth every penny!

Practically every recipe can be converted to low carb - I'll just substitute granular splenda for sugar and use liquid sugar free davinci syrups in place of honey.

What really bowled me over, like others mentioned above, is that the recipes all use 100% coconut flour for the recipes. I am thrilled particularly because I love low carb baking and like that I don't have to buy special low carb baking mixes, etc. Just coconut flour!

Well, I have the book, but I never did order the flour! The book comes with a flyer for a recommended website to order the flour.

Do you all have your flour yet and where did you get it from???
Old 09-28-2005, 06:53 PM   #24
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Parrot, the pumpkin bread recipe on p. 52 looks awesome.

Did you subsitite splenda for the 1/2 cup sugar called for?

There's no way I'm gonna use sugar - I'm truly committed to this low carb way of life. That pumpkin bread recipe looks so good - I'll bet Splenda would work just as well as the sugar.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:30 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Joycelyn, I did use a sugar sub. a mixture of Xylitol, DiabetiSweet,(spelling ) and Splend. I don't like splend by it's self and you get a real sugar taste & texture when you mix different them.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:17 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Hey everyone, I just made the Bacon Muffins on pg. 68 and they are really good! The recipe says to put cheese on top when you bake them, but I just put the cheese right in with the batter. I then baked them in my muffin top pan. I got 6 and baked them at a lower temp. These muffins are going to be a staple for me and they are really easy to make. All of Dr. Fife's recipes in his new book are so simple, it doesn't seem like the recipes will turn out or rise but they do. I'm so used to haveing to mix so many types of flours together, this is a breath of fresh air. Also I tasted no CFlour after taste, but you use only 3TBL of it. Don't be fooled by such small amounts of CFlour you use because this stuff really expands. Boy if I ate a Tbl of this flour by it's self it would probly fill me up and I wouldn't have to eat.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:40 AM   #27
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Parrot, I love your picture of a parrot eating Atkins icecream! My friend had a pet parrot and I still recall how amazingly smart and affectionate they can be. One day I will own one!

Your suggestion of combining sugar subs sounds great - I recall Dr. Atkins used to recommend that himself.

Well I'm at work, but later on will sneak onto a website and order a good amount of coconut flour. Right now I use a lot of flax meal in my baking and I'm betting coconut flour will give me even better results!
Old 09-29-2005, 09:42 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: iameless
Stats: 201/168/140
Start Date: May 2005
Thanks for this post - and for trying out the new recipe book! I love new ideas, but have yet to start baking since I started this WOE! (not really true, but have yet to make anything that I can eat!) But it's that time of year! And I love the taste of coconut!
iameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 01:25 PM   #29
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kaygirl
Any new updates on the different recipes? Thanks
kaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 02:06 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Jocelyn, thanks I love my Amos.
kaygirl, I haven't made my Apple Pie yet, I got the apples but yet have had the time to do any baking. I think I'll be able to get to it in a day or 2. I've been adding a Tbl. of CFlour to my morning hot choc. and boy does it curb me from eating most of the day. It's all fiber and and really expands to fill you up. Dr. FIfe recommends you get 2Tbl. a day to help lose weight. He explains all this in the cook book.