Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2005, 10:25 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Divabunny
Stats: 215/195/160
WOE: Just making better choices
Start Date: 1/2/14
Chocolate Molten Lava Cakes

This recipe could totally be made low carb. I had no idea these cakes didn't have any flour. I can't wait to try this.

Molten Chocolate Cakes

This recipe is definitely for the chocolate lover. Each individual chocolate cake is unmolded directly from the oven onto a serving plate and nothing else is needed but a dollop of softly whipped cream. At first glance it looks like a simple chocolate cake with a sugary crust. But once your spoon cuts through the crust, a warm pudding-like center reveals itself. The whipped cream softens the intensity of the chocolate flavor.

A simple recipe to make and the beauty is that it can be prepared ahead and refrigerated until serving time. All it needs is about 5 minutes in a hot oven and it is ready. This is a great idea for those cold nights when you want a hot and comforting dessert.

Use a semi-sweet chocolate and cocoa powder that you enjoy as the flavor of the chocolate really shines in this recipe.

Recipe:

1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, cut into pieces

6 ounces (170 grams) semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate, cut into small pieces

Scant 1/2 cup (40 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder

1/8 teaspoon salt

2 large egg whites

1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar

2 tablespoons (28 grams) granulated white

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C) and place rack in center of oven. Butter 6 to 8 individual molds (use molds that are about 2 inches (5 cm) in diameter and about 1 1/2 - 2 inches (3.75 - 5 cm) deep) and dust the insides with granulated white sugar. Place on a baking sheet and set aside while you make the chocolate cakes.

In a stainless steel bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, melt the butter, chocolate, cocoa powder and salt. Remove from heat and set aside while you whip the egg whites.

Whip the egg whites until frothy. Add the cream of tartar and continue to whip until soft peaks form. Gradually add the 2 tablespoons granulated white sugar and whip until stiff peaks form. With a rubber spatula or wire whisk gently fold in the beaten whites into the chocolate mixture, just until incorporated. Do not overmix or the batter will deflate. Pour the mixture into the prepared molds, filling about 3/4 full. Bake for 4 to 5 minutes or until the outside edges of the cakes are set but the middle still looks a little wet.

Immediately remove from oven and invert onto the center of each serving plate. Carefully remove the mold. Place a dollop of softly whipped cream on top of each warm cake.

Note: You can prepare the chocolate mixture up to 5 hours ahead of time. Simply make the recipe, pour into the prepared molds, cover and refrigerate. Bake just before serving.

Makes 6 - 8 individual cakes

The picture didn't post, but man did it look good!

Last edited by Divabunny; 09-07-2005 at 10:27 AM..
Divabunny is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2005, 05:34 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Pami
WOE: LC JUDDD
Here ya go, Divabunny!!

Pami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 05:07 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Has anyone tried this recipe yet? It sure sounds good.
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 05:18 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fanci
Chocolate Lava Cakes (Just Like Ruby Tuesday's)
Description: These taste just like the low carb chocolate lava cakes at Ruby Tuesdays.

NOTE: The original recipe calls for 4 custard cups. These are incredibly rich and it is hard to finish one custard cup when divided into 4 servings. In the future, when I make this, I will divide into 6 smaller custard cups and bake for 11-13 minutes or until done.
Ingredients: 4 oz. unsweetened baking chocolate squares
1/2 Cup butter (I used salted)
1 1/4 Cup powdered sweetener (I used Splenda, erythritol, and xylitol and put in blender till powdered)
2 eggs
2 egg yolks
6 Tbsp. Carbquik (though I'd guess that other LC bake mixes would work too)
Whipped Cream to top
How To Prepare: Preheat oven to 425. Butter 4 custard cups (3/4 cup) and place on baking sheet (I sprayed the cups with Pam).

In large microwavable bowl, cook butter and chocolate squares on high 1 minute or until butter is completely melted. Remove from microwave and stir with wire whisk until chocolate is completely melted. Stir in powdered sweetener until well blended. Whisk in eggs and egg yolks until well blended. Stir in Carbquik until well blended. Divide batter evenly between custard cups.

Bake 13-15 minutes, or until sides are firm, but center is soft. Let stand 1 minute. Carefully run knife around cakes to loosen and then turn out onto plate. Top with whipped cream.
Number of Servings: 4 - 6 (see comments)
Carbs per serving (including complete nutritional information if known):
Preparation Time:
Effort (Easy, Average, Difficult): Easy
Source:

Found this in the recipe room sounds similiar to yours. I don't know who to credit with the recipe but thank you. It was very good.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:13 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Divabunny
Stats: 215/195/160
WOE: Just making better choices
Start Date: 1/2/14
Thanks Pami and Fanci!
Divabunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 12:40 PM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: DeeLen
Stats: (286.6 before WLS)
WOE: WLS 4/25/06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divabunny
Molten Chocolate Cakes

This recipe is definitely for the chocolate lover. Each individual chocolate cake is unmolded directly from the oven onto a serving plate and nothing else is needed but a dollop of softly whipped cream. At first glance it looks like a simple chocolate cake with a sugary crust. But once your spoon cuts through the crust, a warm pudding-like center reveals itself. The whipped cream softens the intensity of the chocolate flavor.

A simple recipe to make and the beauty is that it can be prepared ahead and refrigerated until serving time. All it needs is about 5 minutes in a hot oven and it is ready. This is a great idea for those cold nights when you want a hot and comforting dessert.

Use a semi-sweet chocolate and cocoa powder that you enjoy as the flavor of the chocolate really shines in this recipe.

Recipe:

1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, cut into pieces

6 ounces (170 grams) semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate, cut into small pieces

Scant 1/2 cup (40 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder

1/8 teaspoon salt

2 large egg whites

1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar

2 tablespoons (28 grams) granulated white ????
This may be a dumb question but is it granulated white sugar??
DeeLen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 08:06 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: KatEyez44
Stats: 145/130/120 - 5'2", 34 yrs
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 1/3/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanci
Chocolate Lava Cakes (Just Like Ruby Tuesday's)
Description: These taste just like the low carb chocolate lava cakes at Ruby Tuesdays.

**SNIP**

Found this in the recipe room sounds similiar to yours. I don't know who to credit with the recipe but thank you. It was very good.

That would be me! Glad you enjoyed them!
KatEyez44 is offline   Reply With Quote