Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2005, 05:31 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: 24Fan
Stats: from 2004 to 2006 lost 118 lbs. Maintaining
WOE: Atkins, low carb maintaining
Start Date: 2004
How long does frying oil last?

I made chicken wings last Thursday, first time ever using a Fry Daddy. I used canola oil and left it in the cooker. How long does oil last like that? Should I refrigerate it next time?
24Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2005, 07:27 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: alibali
Stats: 235/183/150
WOE: atkins my way
Start Date: July 1 2005
usually we just leave it in the fryer and stick it back under the counter covered until our next use without a problem. when theres crumbs floating in the oil or it just doesn't look right.. we replace it.

granted, i dont know if this is the "right" way to do it. but we've always done it that way.
alibali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 09:09 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Freckles
I seldom fry, but I never re-use frying oil as I did in the past because there would be a long lapse between uses and because it may be unhealthy. Unless you buy cold pressed, canola oil is reputed to contain a large amt of transfats. Heating and reheating makes it worse, according to the articles I read. The oil should be strained through cheese cloth and either refrigerated or covered and stored in a cool place. Light and heat degrade the oil.

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/78/6/1092

http://www.tfx.org.uk/page13.html
Canola / rapeseed oil
One little-known source of trans fat is canola / rapeseed oil. The trans fat occurs as a result of processing, which takes place at high temperature. The raw seed begins with a high level of beneficial omega-3 oils, however these tend to oxidise during processing producing off, rancid odours. During deodorisation, some of the omega-3 fatty acids are converted to trans.

The proportion converted to trans is highly variable - in general, UK oils have low levels of trans, however Researchers at the University of Florida at Gainesville, found that liquid canola / rapeseed oils sold in the USA contained as much as 4.6 percent trans fat. Currently this trans fat content is not usually listed on labels and consumers have no way of knowing it is present.

Thanks to generous subsidies to EU growers, this is now one of the cheapest and most widespread vegetable oils. In general, if an oil is made from anything other than canola / rapeseed, this will be stated on the label. If an oil is simply described as "vegetable oil" - it is likely to be made from canola / rapeseed. If you want to be certain of the trans content of your brand of vegetable oil, you will have to write to the manufacturer and ask.

...if you re-use the same oil many times over, for example in a deep fryer, the trans fat content will rise over time - and particularly if you are using canola / rapeseed oil, high in omega-3 fatty acids. You should therefore remember to change your frying oil often.
Freckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 03:32 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: 24Fan
Stats: from 2004 to 2006 lost 118 lbs. Maintaining
WOE: Atkins, low carb maintaining
Start Date: 2004
Thanks, Ali and Freckles for responding

I knew I"d heard something about canola oil but coudnt' remember what it was. I won't be using it again then.
I just wanted to try out my mom's Fry Daddy. I'll throw it out and start over clean next time.
24Fan is offline   Reply With Quote