Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Low Carb Custard Recipes (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/371268-low-carb-custard-recipes.html)

CRosie 08-17-2005 09:26 AM

Low Carb Custard Recipes

There are quite a few low carb custard recipes floating around.

Do you have a favorite? could you share it?

Thanks! Rosie

jem51 08-17-2005 10:28 AM

custard is low carb other than the milk and sugar. just change to cream and splenda.

SHinOK 08-17-2005 11:00 AM

The tried-and-true version that I've used for years and still love:

8 eggs
1 cup "milk" (heavy cream--diluted with water or not, half & half, CC milk or any combination)
1 cup davinci syrup (faves are vanilla, dulce de leche and amaretto)
dash of almond extract (can omit if using amaretto syrup)
nutmeg & cinnamon (optional)

Put eggs, milk, syrup & extracts in a blender. Blend on LOW speed until well combined. Place four "pammed" ovenproof mugs or custard dishes into a larger ovenproof dish half filled with water (water bath). Pour the egg mixture evenly into the four mugs/dishes. Sprinkle with nutmeg or cinnamon, if desired. Bake at 325-350 for about 45 minutes or until center is set.

You can bake it in a pie or cake pan, if you wish; this just happens to be easier for me, because I like to bring it to work to have for breakfast.

This is based on the Flan recipe in the 1992 Atkins book, I believe. It calls for one cup of water and five packets of artificial sweetener, but I use Davinci syrup instead. Don't leave out the almond extract. It adds a lot to the flavor.

I have also added coconut oil to this to up the fat in it--just put a T or two into the blender before blending so it will distribute well. It doesn't change the flavor, but I bet it would be good with coconut Davinci!

Hope this is what you're looking for... :)

chefchick66 08-17-2005 04:15 PM

The OP(Josie or Carolyn, I think) of this recipe calls it Butter Pecan Creme Brulee, but, I think it is more like a custard because the top is not crunchy and hard like a true Creme Brulee. Regardless, this is one of the BEST LC desserts I've ever had! Even your non-LCing pals will never know there is not a bit of sugar in it. I also like to add a couple of Tablespoons of SF Davincis Syrup to the mix. I've made it with Carmel, English Toffee, Butterscotch, and Irish Cream...all were very good!

Butter-Pecan Creme Brulee

2 cups cream
4 egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Dash of salt
2 tablespoons Splenda

Heat cream over medium heat, just until bubbles start to form.
Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
In a bowl, whisk together egg yolks, vanilla, salt and Splenda.
Gradually whisk in cream.
Strain mixture.
Divide into four custard cups.
Bake in a water bath for 25-30 minutes at 350 degrees.
Custards should be set, but still jiggly.
Chill for one hour.
Make butter-pecan topping and divide between between cups.
Refrigerate for four more hours or overnight.

Butter-Pecan Topping:
1 tablespoon butter
1/8 cup pecans - finely chopped
1 teaspoon Splenda

Melt butter.
Stir in pecans and Splenda.
Heat just until nuts begin to color, being careful not to burn!

cwooden 08-17-2005 08:25 PM

Here's the recipe I use for baked custard:

Josie's Egg Custard

4 large eggs
2 cups Hood's low carb 2% milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4-1/2 cup Splenda (to taste)
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg (I use 1/4 tsp at most)

Combine all ingredients and whisk together by hand.
Strain mixture to remove those white googly things from the eggs. (I pinch them off by hand so I don't strain)
Pour into shallow baking dish. (I use 4 pyrex bowls/dishes)
Set dish in a pan containing one inch of water.
Bake at 300 degrees for approximately 30 minutes or until firm. (I use 325 degrees and it takes 35-40 minutes)
Cool and keep refrigerated.

I put the ingredients in ****** and came up with these stats:

Calories 131.25, Fat 7.25g, Sat. Fat 3g, Carb 3.75g, Protein 12.25g

I eat one for breakfast, sometimes with a little whipped cream or liquid cream on top. I cover the bowls in plastic wrap to store in the fridge. It has a creamier texture (like pastry cream) if you take it out of the oven before the center is completely set.

cyndidavis 12-22-2007 10:06 AM

Lazy Girl's Flan

OK, I was missing flan. I love the flan at El Pollo Loco, but never thought I could make it. Looked at and used a combination of the recipes here. Mostly cuz I'm lazy...and one way sounded easy, but more eggy and I wanted creamy (like the flan at El Pollo Loco).

So. Here's what I did:

1 cup cream
1 cup 2% Calorie Countdown Milk
1 cup SF Vanilla DaVinci Syrup
PLUS 2 tablespoons SF Cinnamon DaVinci Syrup(optional, but you need some extract or something if not this...like the almond suggested in the first recipe)
9 medium eggs (medium, cuz...:rofl: it's all I had!)

I put it all in the blender. I did 3 or 4 quick pulses. I did strain it, but after the blender there wasn't much left to strain. Poured into ramekins (Mine are kind of big, and I filled them pretty full, so this recipe made 7 of them, but could have been way more), and baked in a 325F oven in a water bath for 45 minutes. They were set but jiggly...and I cooled them on a rack before putting them in the fridge...but I had to taste.

OMG! I will be eating these every day. :up: Creamy, not too sweet...so good! I had planned to drizzle the Caramel DaVinci Syrup on these just before I eat it (like the flan at El Pollo Loco) but after tasting, I don't think I will absolutely have to...this is almost as good as EPL!

And it was so easy (thanks in SHinOK for the blender tip!)...I was afraid of the water bath, and the straining...but I could honestly make this every day without a second thought.

Ran it through ****** and it says:
Total Calories: 1501 Fat: 133 Carbs: 14 Protein: 62

Hmmm...I wonder how it would be with SF Kahlua DaVinci...

jacksmixedtape 12-22-2007 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwooden (Post 5761771)
Here's the recipe I use for baked custard:

Josie's Egg Custard

4 large eggs
2 cups Hood's low carb 2% milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4-1/2 cup Splenda (to taste)
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg (I use 1/4 tsp at most)

Combine all ingredients and whisk together by hand.
Strain mixture to remove those white googly things from the eggs. (I pinch them off by hand so I don't strain)
Pour into shallow baking dish. (I use 4 pyrex bowls/dishes)
Set dish in a pan containing one inch of water.
Bake at 300 degrees for approximately 30 minutes or until firm. (I use 325 degrees and it takes 35-40 minutes)
Cool and keep refrigerated.

I put the ingredients in ****** and came up with these stats:

Calories 131.25, Fat 7.25g, Sat. Fat 3g, Carb 3.75g, Protein 12.25g

I eat one for breakfast, sometimes with a little whipped cream or liquid cream on top. I cover the bowls in plastic wrap to store in the fridge. It has a creamier texture (like pastry cream) if you take it out of the oven before the center is completely set.

Thanks! I am making this right now. :)

Annette/TX 12-22-2007 06:44 PM

I make "Jodie's custard" in 6 ramekins and eat one on the way to work almost every day. I use 1/2 cup Davinci vanilla and 1 pkg sweetnlow to sweeten it. I also sprinkle the nutmeg on top instead of in the mix. I use the blender also. This is such an easy recipe!

SugarPop 05-04-2010 07:06 AM

Wow-Loving this thread.............Custard here I come.

B

ljguitar 05-04-2010 07:38 AM

Here is ours…

Classic Custard

Ingredients:
• Liquid Splenda to taste (or other sweetener) (0 carbs)
• 10 eggs (2.4 carbs)
• 1 pint heavy cream (13.2 carbs)
• 1 pint water (0 carb)
• 1 teaspoon almond extract (0 carb)
• 1 teaspoon nutmeg (.5 carb)

Preheat oven to 350°F. Beat eggs. Add all ingredients except nutmeg. Blend well. Pour mixture into 6-8 ramekin dishes (depending on their size.) Sprinkle with nutmeg on top. Place ramekin inside a larger baking dish of cold water. The water should be at least 1/2 way up ramekin — this is what keeps the texture creamy.

Bake for 30 minutes. Let sit for 5 minutes before serving or refrigerate. Serve cold or reheat serving gently in microwave on medium power 1-2 minutes.

Makes 8 servings. 2.01 net grams of carbohydrate per serving.

I have had this recipe for over a decade, and now days I use liquid Splenda and add it to taste...not by specific amount

Dawn18 05-04-2010 10:54 AM

marking my place. Thanks for the great recipes.

SCOTTSDALEJULIE 05-04-2010 11:16 AM

Bump

historylover1500 05-04-2010 03:13 PM

subbing

mona24523 05-04-2010 07:21 PM

All of the recipes sound great. Don't know which one i'm going to try first.

MsWoods 05-07-2010 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljguitar (Post 13443189)
Here is ours…

Classic Custard

Ingredients:
• Liquid Splenda to taste (or other sweetener) (0 carbs)
• 10 eggs (2.4 carbs)
• 1 pint heavy cream (13.2 carbs)
• 1 pint water (0 carb)
• 1 teaspoon almond extract (0 carb)
• 1 teaspoon nutmeg (.5 carb)

Preheat oven to 350°F. Beat eggs. Add all ingredients except nutmeg. Blend well. Pour mixture into 6-8 ramekin dishes (depending on their size.) Sprinkle with nutmeg on top. Place ramekin inside a larger baking dish of cold water. The water should be at least 1/2 way up ramekin — this is what keeps the texture creamy.

Bake for 30 minutes. Let sit for 5 minutes before serving or refrigerate. Serve cold or reheat serving gently in microwave on medium power 1-2 minutes.

Makes 8 servings. 2.01 net grams of carbohydrate per serving.

I have had this recipe for over a decade, and now days I use liquid Splenda and add it to taste...not by specific amount

I'm making this one today!

ljguitar 05-07-2010 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsWoods (Post 13455164)
I'm making this one today!

Hi MsW…
I forgot to mention in the recipe that I knife-blade test for done-ness.

When the knife blade inserted in the center (all the way to the bottom) comes out clean it is done...

MsWoods 05-07-2010 11:18 AM

K, thanks. I've never made custard so any tips on how to do it are much appreciated.

ljguitar 05-07-2010 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsWoods (Post 13455186)
K, thanks. I've never made custard so any tips on how to do it are much appreciated.

Hi MsW…
You will do fine. A very simple food...

The water bath is essential to the texture, but easy to do. I sometimes put the pan onto the oven rack - and the add the water...that way I don't spill.

shunsweets 05-07-2010 02:20 PM

Made my very first custard inspired by reading this thread. I used the first original recipe but only 6 eggs and it came out great. Can't believe I've never had a custard in my life!

Perfect for a VLC day!

Now what other flavors are good besides vanilla and almond?

Kattbelly 05-07-2010 04:23 PM

I make microwave custard, it is super easy and tastes just as good as baking it-but you've got custard in less than 10 mins.!

I mix 4 egg yolks in 1/2 cup of cream, 4 pumps of davinci sugar free vanilla (or sweeten however you like) I just mix it with a fork till fully mixed. I have small pyrex bowls, I just mix and microwave in the same bowl.

Run the hot water from your tap. Put your custard bowl inside a larger bowl, and fill the larger bowl with hot water till its about half way up the pyrex bowl, put in the microwave.

Everyone's microwaves are different, so I recommend starting out for 2 mins. Do it in 1 min increments till it's almost set, then in 15-30 second increments till it is slightly firm, but still a little jiggly. My microwave takes about 4.5 mins. to cook it the way I like it.)

You can eat it hot, and it is delicious, but I prefer mine cold. So I put the stopper in my sink and add ice and fill with water till it's about 3/4 of the way up the sides of the pyrex. (Yes, plz remove the pyrex bowl from the larger bowl of hot water, duh ;) )

It only needs to sit for about 10 mins. to get cold enough, and believe me, you really can't tell any difference from custards you bake for forever in the oven. It makes 1 really large serving, which sometimes I eat for breakfast, or you can half it, and save the rest in the fridge for next time.

MsWoods 05-07-2010 05:19 PM

Ok I'm having custard issues. Mine has been in the oven for over an hour and is still soupy.

ljguitar 05-07-2010 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsWoods (Post 13456418)
Ok I'm having custard issues. Mine has been in the oven for over an hour and is still soupy.

Hi MsW…
Patience...it hasn't even crusted over the top surface? Or is it just wiggly?

MsWoods 05-08-2010 10:36 AM

Ok I had to turn my oven up to 400 and it took about 30 minutes. It formed a crust. I'm not sure how the texture is supposed to be. It's smooth but kind of grainy? I don't think I like almond extract Lol. I want to try to make it again with another flavor but I don't want to waste these. I only made half the recipe so I only have 4 servings.

lisabinil 05-08-2010 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsWoods (Post 13458125)
Ok I had to turn my oven up to 400 and it took about 30 minutes. It formed a crust. I'm not sure how the texture is supposed to be. It's smooth but kind of grainy? I don't think I like almond extract Lol. I want to try to make it again with another flavor but I don't want to waste these. I only made half the recipe so I only have 4 servings.

For the best texture and flavor custard has to be chilled after cooking. The texture should be smooth. What kind of sweetener did you use?

http://www.baking911.com/custard/101_tips.htm

ljguitar 05-08-2010 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsWoods (Post 13458125)

Hi MsW…
Mine are very smooth - and I only make plain (with some vanilla). People can add flavor to it after it's chilled.

Glad you salvaged it...

Pam 05-08-2010 12:28 PM

I really LOVE this recipe that I found in a magazine several years ago. I did low carb it. You could make the custard part and omit caramelizing the tops. Recently, that's how I've been making them. I've not tried to caramelize with the Erythritol, though. I'm assuming you can. In the past, I've used a little sugar, then torched the tops.

ESPRESSO CRÈME BRULEE low carb version

3 cups heavy cream
¾ cup sugar sub of choice....I used Splenda
1 tablespoon instant espresso coffee
7 egg yolks
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

6 8 oz. oven-proof soufflé dishes

¼ cup granular Erythritol (for caramelizing)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

In a sauce pan, heat cream to a boil and remove from heat. Mix together sugar sub, yolks, espresso powder and extract. Add the cream a little at a time to mixture so the eggs don’t cook. Mix together. Place ¾ cup of the mixture into each of the soufflé cups. Place the soufflé cups on a sheet pan in a water bath. Bake for 45-50 minutes until almost firm. Let cool.

Preheat broiler (if not using a torch).

To serve, sprinkle each crème brulee generously with granular Erythritol. Move oven rack to the top quarter of oven. Watch carefully as the “E” will melt and form a brown crust over top of the crème brulees. Do not let the “E” burn. With tongs, move dishes so that the “E” caramelizes evenly.

Set aside to cool.

MsWoods 05-08-2010 12:48 PM

I used liquid sweet & low.

I tasted it again and decided I really don't like the almond extract and I can't eat them. I'm going to throw it away and try again with a different flavor. I think I'm going to use the dulce de leche DaVincis

Soobee 05-09-2010 01:13 AM

Ms Woods, I have never had good luck with liquid Sweet and Low as my only sweetener. Do you think that your sweetener might be part of the problem?

MsWoods 05-09-2010 08:33 AM

I don't think so because I always use it in my baked goods and it doesn't bother me at all. I think it's the almond extract more than anything.

dollkey 05-09-2010 10:18 AM

When we make custard/flan we steam it. I haven't baked a flan yet.