Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2005, 08:13 PM   #1
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: mom2twoboys
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 10/26/05
What to do with chicken thighs???

I am in the process of cleaning out my big freezer and have found four packs of chicken thighs. I am sure I bought them for some great sounding recipe that I have since lost, but now what do I do with them?

Can I put them all in a crockpot with some water and then use them for all of the casserole recipes that call for cooked diced chicken? If so can I freeze the casserole even though the chicken has already been frozen once?

I was thinking of trying SPICY CHICKEN & SPINACH CASSEROLE and CHICKEN AND SPINACH PARMESAN

Thanks
Maria
mom2twoboys is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2005, 09:45 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2twoboys
I am in the process of cleaning out my big freezer and have found four packs of chicken thighs. I am sure I bought them for some great sounding recipe that I have since lost, but now what do I do with them?

Can I put them all in a crockpot with some water and then use them for all of the casserole recipes that call for cooked diced chicken? If so can I freeze the casserole even though the chicken has already been frozen once?

I was thinking of trying SPICY CHICKEN & SPINACH CASSEROLE and CHICKEN AND SPINACH PARMESAN

Thanks
Maria
Long as the meat is cooked, you can freeze the resulting dish. It's refreezing raw that's not such a good idea. You should get some excellent stock out of it, too. Throw in a rough quartered big onion, celery stalks, whole peppercorns and a dash of salt, some bay leaves. Yum.
theislandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 07:19 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: JazzyV
Stats: 261.0/225.5/189.5
WOE: Low Glycemic Carbs/Low Fat
Start Date: 5/14/00, Restart 6/29/09
BruceH's Adobo chicken. I do this in the crockpot.

* Exported from MasterCook *

BruceH's Asian Adobo

Recipe By : Bruce H

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3 pounds chicken thighs
1/2 cup soy sauce, low sodium -- Kikkoman
2/3 cup white vinegar
1 bay leaf
3 cloves garlic -- minced
1 onion -- sliced

Combine all ingredients in non-aluminum pan. Bring to boil. Cover, lower heat and simmer until tender.

Serving Ideas : You can use chicken, pork, beef or a combination of any three. Very versatile recipe. If you don't like garlic, leave it out. If you like ginger, throw some in. Just don't change the soy sauce/vinegar ratio. NOTES : Also great in a crock pot.

Description: "Popular dish from the Philippines"
JazzyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 07:33 AM   #4
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: mom2twoboys
Start Date: 10/26/05
Thanks for the recipes! I hate to let stuff go to waste.
mom2twoboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 07:42 AM   #5
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: binki
Stats: 190/160/140
WOE: just low carb
Start Date: November 2003
I like to just throw them onto an oiled baking sheet, skin side down, sprinkle liberally with seasoning, and bake at 400 for half an hour or so, then flip, sprinkle, and let them go for another half hour or so. It'll probably take longer with frozen thighs, so just check after the hour is up and maybe leave them in for another 15 or more.

Easy, and then you've got roasted thighs for all sorts of meals for the next week.
binki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 07:56 AM   #6
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: 5cats4me
Stats: 185/134/130
WOE: Atkins without counting
Start Date: Jan 04
Sesame Chicken! sesame chicken recipe
5cats4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 08:39 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sligh
Stats: 190/118/145
Start Date: January 31, 2003
Save some for Linda Sue's CarbQuik Chicken Thighs that are baked in the oven. It's a real favorite at our house.
sligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 11:06 AM   #8
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Defrost, roll in Parmesan cheese (the green can sort), put onto a foil lined, pam sprayed baking sheet and pop into a 400* oven for 30 minutes or til done. I usually put the Parm into a ziploc and season it up with garlic powder, onion powder, a little chipotle chile powder, and some paprika, then put a few thighs at a time into the bag and shake 'em up til coated. Any leftover coating you can freeze but ONLY use it on chicken! Don't contaminate other stuff in it unless it also will bake a good while, like thick pork chops or something.

Char

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 10:17 AM   #9
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: angela233
Stats: 142 5' tall
WOE: atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2twoboys
Can I put them all in a crockpot with some water and then use them for all of the casserole recipes that call for cooked diced chicken?

Thanks
Maria
I have found that chicken thighs have much more fat than the breasts. When I used them in some of Linda Sue's recipes, they came out to greasy tasting to me. If you do try it, I would try to remove as much fat as possible. but let me know if it works - i have some frozen chicken thighs and REALLY REALLY want to try those to recipes.....

angela
angela233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 05:11 PM   #10
BuckHunter

Gallery: BuckHunter
I like mine seasoned on the Webber grill for about 30 mins, then I might top with a little LC BBQ sauce for another 10 mins..
Old 02-03-2012, 07:51 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Rachel011235
Stats: 244 / 244 / 175
Start Date: May 2011
cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
Defrost, roll in Parmesan cheese (the green can sort), put onto a foil lined, pam sprayed baking sheet and pop into a 400* oven for 30 minutes or til done. I usually put the Parm into a ziploc and season it up with garlic powder, onion powder, a little chipotle chile powder, and some paprika, then put a few thighs at a time into the bag and shake 'em up til coated. Any leftover coating you can freeze but ONLY use it on chicken! Don't contaminate other stuff in it unless it also will bake a good while, like thick pork chops or something.

Char

That sounds so awesome. I might pound the chicken thighs flat and let them sit in some cream for a bit before dredging in the parm mixture and baking. I can't wait for tonight! haha
Rachel011235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:58 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TBipp
Stats: 142/112/120, 5 ft 2 in
WOE: Combined low carb
Start Date: 05/23/2011
Thighs are our favorite cut in my household. So much flavor and rarely a danger of overcooking!

If you cook in crockpot to obtain cooked chicken meat for recipes, perhaps remove skins first (mostly fat and they just become flabby) and then plan on draining thighs after cooking to remove more fat. They will then work great in your recipes.
TBipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:25 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
When I have chicken I suspect has been in the freezer longer than I would have liked, I tend to make spicy, braised dishes with it. Somehow all that time in the freezer gets "lost" in the right recipe. My Moroccan Chicken is one of my favorite ways to do chicken thighs or drumsticks.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:03 AM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: AyumiV
Stats: 192/189/145
Start Date: 1/22/2012
This is our favorite way of cooking chicken... I love chicken thighs and the hubby hates it.. but first time I asked him to make this recipe he loved it and made it a second time the same week!

Combined ingredients into a zip lock bag... marinate for at least 8 hours.. preferably overnight..

2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. dried oregano
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 lime, juice only (about 2 Tbsp. juice)
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 tsp. minced garlic (3 – 4 cloves)

Bake at 450 degrees, covered for 15 minutes and then uncovered for 20 – 25
minutes.)

Side Dish suggestion: Steam 1 lb. broccoli florets or spears until tender, about 5 – 8 minutes. Drain and season them with ¼ – ½ tsp. lemon pepper seasoning, to taste.
AyumiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:58 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
I'm sure I'll regret only purchasing one package of chicken thighs that were on sale this week in my area! YUM!

Last edited by Tilly; 02-04-2012 at 09:00 AM..
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:07 AM   #16
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/142.5/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 11/2013
OH , You gotta make THIS!!!
Quote:
SEOUL CHICKEN

6-8 chicken thighs, skin on
5 tablespoons soy sauce
1/4 cup granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup green onion, chopped
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
1 tablespoon sesame oil
5 tablespoons water
Xanthan gum, optional

Place the chicken pieces in a gallon size ziploc bag. Mix the remaining ingredients, except the xanthan gum, in a small bowl. Pour the marinade into the bag with the chicken. Close the bag and knead gently to coat all of the chicken pieces. Place in a shallow pan, just in case the bag leaks. Put in the refrigerator and marinate at least 1 hour, turning the bag over occasionally.

Dump the entire contents of the bag into a 9x13" glass baking pan. Arrange the thighs skin side up. Bake at 425º for 35-40 minutes until the meat is done. Remove the chicken from the baking pan to a serving platter and keep warm.

Skim most of the fat off the juices remaining in the pan and pour into a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and lightly sprinkle the xanthan over the liquid while whisking briskly. Be careful not to let it get too thick. Stop before you think it's thick enough or you'll get glue. Serve the sauce over chicken. The unthickened pan juices can also be served over the chicken and are very tasty over Fried "Rice".

Makes 6-8 servings
Can be frozen

With granular Splenda:
Per 1/6 Recipe: 300 Calories; 21g Fat; 23g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs
Per 1/8 Recipe: 225 Calories; 16g Fat; 17g Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 2g Net Carbs

With liquid Splenda:
Per 1/6 Recipe: 296 Calories; 21g Fat; 23g Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 2g Net Carbs
Per 1/8 Recipe: 222 Calories; 16g Fat; 17g Protein; 1.5g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 1.5g Net Carbs

This is very delicious and extremely easy to make! The crispy skin turns a beautiful, bronze color and the flavor is slightly sweet. If desired, shred the meat and serve rolled up in leaf lettuce. Add about 1 carb per 3 leaves to total count.

I have also made this using boneless chicken breasts grilled on my indoor contact grill and it's very good. Check out my Bok Choy & Mushroom Stir-Fry recipe which uses the marinade from the Seoul Chicken.

This is excellent grilled on an outdoor grill. I suggest using boneless chicken thighs because they'll cook more quickly than bone-in thighs. I grilled mine over the highest flame for 4 minutes on the first side and 3 minutes on the other side. They came out perfect with nice grill marks.
It's great and tasty and goes great with all sorts of side dishes,It's SO easy, it freezes well for eating later, I like to make it in the oven and collect the sauce, and make more sauce for dipping or for pouring over cooked cauliflower. It's so rich and flavorful!!!

I think next time i make it I'm gonna use Diabetisweet instead of splenda so it gets a more glazy glaze texture!!

Last edited by metqa; 02-04-2012 at 09:08 AM..
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote