Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Share YOUR secret food/recipe that you concocted yourself (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/358435-share-your-secret-food-recipe-you-concocted-yourself.html)

SPECK 06-27-2005 06:07 PM

Share YOUR secret food/recipe that you concocted yourself

for this way of life. It is ideas like the one below that help me live this way of life.

This isn't mine but Brookjay shared this with me and it has been a lifesaver for me.

take 2oz of cream cheese and put it in the microwavable pan and nuke it for about 25 seconds to get it good and soft.

Add 2 eggs, 3+ tablespoons of flax meal, 2 packets of splenda and mix it all up really well. Top it with cinnamon. Put it in the microwave and nuke it for about 3 minutes or so. When it comes out, throw a pat of butter on it and sprinkle a titch of splenda or stevia on it. Voila!

War Eagle 06-27-2005 06:09 PM

I took a chicken breast, grilled it with chili powder then topped it with LC BBQ sauce, bacon and shredded cheese. I thought I had created a wonderful new dish till my friend told me you can get it at Ruby Tuesday's.

HBFD 06-27-2005 06:19 PM

This was inspired by Linda Sue's amazing recipe site. I was hungry and lazy LOL.

Grate a large jicama coarsely and saute in coconut oil with garlic and pepper and a dash of worceshter sauce (sp?). Mix in ground chicken and veal and saute till meat is done. Add a few teaspoons of chipolte sauce and simmer a few minutes.
Serve with a dollop of sour cream. I make a big batch and have it for breakfast with an egg or alone.

You can use any ground meat, I like the taste of the veal and the lean chicken mixes well and isnt so dry.

just4peas 06-27-2005 06:20 PM

Ami's Brancakes:

1/2 cup unprocessed coarse bran
1 tablespoon lc bake mix
1 whole egg
2 egg whites
2 tablespoons half & half
1 teaspoon cinnamon
dash of pumpkin pie spice
dash of splenda

mix and make like pancakes (I make one big one)

cals: 235 fat: 10g (4g sat.) carbs:24g (fiber= 13g) 11g net protein: 23g

Rogue 06-27-2005 06:26 PM

One bulk cilantro
One or two jalapenos
16 oz sour cream
1 packet Ranch powder

Food Process together....yummy with porkrinds, broccoli, on chicken....etc

Chasintrail 06-27-2005 06:45 PM

Sautee fresh sliced mushrooms in butter and minced garlic.
Remove from heat and stir in a huge glob (how's that for accuracy!) of sour cream and a spoonful of basil pesto.

Makes an awesome sauce for fish or chicken. I also throw in little shrimp sometimes.

SPECK 06-27-2005 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by War Eagle
I took a chicken breast, grilled it with chili powder then topped it with LC BBQ sauce, bacon and shredded cheese. I thought I had created a wonderful new dish till my friend told me you can get it at Ruby Tuesday's.

lol

LibraEssence 06-27-2005 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogue
One bulk cilantro
One or two jalapenos
16 oz sour cream
1 packet Ranch powder

Food Process together....yummy with porkrinds, broccoli, on chicken....etc

mmmm this sounds good :up: I bet it would be good on a burger too :D

SPECK 06-27-2005 07:57 PM

Anyone else? I could really use some different ideas.

LibraEssence 06-27-2005 08:01 PM

sautee zucchini and onion (salt and pepper to taste) and right before it's done stir in a dollop of sour cream and shake on some parmesan cheese. turn off the heat and cover for a few. creamy cheesy zucchini and onions :D

LowCarbConvert 06-27-2005 08:13 PM

OMG, LibraEssence, that sounds AWESOME!

I'm always looking for Zucchini recipes... yours sounds divine.

LibraEssence 06-27-2005 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LowCarbConvert
OMG, LibraEssence, that sounds AWESOME!

I'm always looking for Zucchini recipes... yours sounds divine.

I usually do a rough chop...but if you grate the zucchini...mmmm it's good that way too

jjcj 06-28-2005 03:37 AM

my favourite thing and kills a sweet tooth is just cocoa mixed into peanut butter or cream cheese, ( to be daring try both) with a little sweetner or devinci syrup. YUMMMMMMMM guilt free desert.
actually am about to try it with canned pumpkin as need a little help in bathroom department. My calcium magnesium is working this week. I have heard pumpkin helps for both problems strangly enough so will give it a try.

Mindy 06-28-2005 04:50 AM

Bumping for future reference - these sound good! :)

tyler43836 06-28-2005 05:54 AM

My granddaughter calls this 'ugly sketti'.

Brown ground beef w/ garlic and onion, add a can of tomato sauce and Italian spices of choice or premade LC spaghetti sauce. Add a can of french cut green beans (drained well). Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes and voila. Doesn't look to pretty but it sure is good...and cheap!

starstar 06-28-2005 08:47 AM

Sweet tooth fix: 2 TBL heavy cream, 2TBL chunky peanut butter, 2 TBL sf syrup (I use french vanilla) Stir together. This is soupy at first, but keep stirring, it thickens up! Reminds me of when I was small my dad would make me a "batch" of pb & maple syrup goo!

Xander's Grandm 06-29-2005 04:05 AM

I saute up a couple of cube steaks in butter and some garlic. Place on plates...add small sliced onion and mushrooms to pan..am lazy and use a can. When onion is soft and cooked add about /3 cup sour cream. Pour over the steaks and serve.
Maureen

JennyKitty 06-29-2005 04:29 AM

I think there is a similar recipe somewhere out there, but I threw these things together and found it very delicious - fresh and tangy.

Broccoli Salad

Just toss together in amounts that you like:

Chopped raw broccoli florets
Grated cheddar cheese
Hormel bacon pieces (or use crisp fried bacon pieces)

Toss together with a dressing made by mixing some Zesty Italian dressing and mayonnaise. Pour over salad ingedients.

1BellaDonna 06-29-2005 04:54 AM

cheddarwurst and eggs.... just slice cheddarwurst into coins or on the diaganol and fry up until brown (it's really yummy when it looks almost burnt)...then crack in some eggs, scramble together and serve. it's yummy, filling and fast!

faemajik 06-29-2005 09:37 AM

I take a spaghetti squash
sliced mushrooms( of your choice, I use baby ports)
green onions
baby shrimp
salt, pepper to taste
garlic( i use minced)

I bake or nuke the squash by poking holes in it, adding some butter( ICBINB Spray usually) the garlic, salt, pepper, shrooms and green onions.( I Usually nuke this and put saran wrap over it to keep all the flavors etc inside)

When it is ready to flake out easy, I add the shrimp and nuke till done, serve with the real good shredded parm and romano

Criosa 06-29-2005 11:52 AM

I know most people don't think soup in the summer, but we like it year round. My ingredients are hit and miss. I don't measure for this.

Chicken Dumpling Soup

1/2 of a chicken, meat torn into pieces
about 3 qts. of chicken stock
1/2 onion, diced
2 small carrots, diced
4 large radishes, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
2 bay leaves
1 tbsp. parsley (if I have it)
salt and pepper to taste
~4 LC tortillas, cut into small strips

I saute the veggies in some of the chicken fat skimmed off the top of the stock. Then add the stock, bay leaves, and salt and pepper, simmering until vegetables are tender. Add the chicken toward the end of the simmering. Then I add the tortilla strips and simmer another minute or two. Even the kids like this. They were amazed they liked the radishes. (I hope I didn't forget something.)

BettyR 06-29-2005 12:03 PM

I go to a near by butcher and buy 10 pounds of aged choice chuck roast then have them grind it into hamburger for me. I take it home and season it and make patties, then freeze the patties with a square of parchment paper between each patty.

To cook it, I take a patty out of the freezer and zap it in the microwave for 1 minute, just enough to start it thawing, and grab a handful of dried wild mushrooms that I buy in bulk at Whole Foods and pour just enough warm water over them to almost cover them.

Then I pop the patty into my non-stick skillet and brown it on both sides in a little butter, remove it from the skillet and place it in a small cake pan and pop it into a 350 oven for 15 minutes to let it finish cooking.

While the patty is in the oven take your mushrooms out of the water and give them a gentle squeeze. Saute them in the butter that you browned the patty in. When the mushrooms are almost done pour about a 1/4 cup of heavy cream and the mushroom water into the skillet. Season it with a pinch of garlic powder and reduce it until it starts to thicken.

Take your patty out of the oven and cover it with the mushroom sauce. Serve it with a nice salad.

The whole meal takes 20 minutes to put together and it's so good that I'd have no problems eating it every night if I had to.

Di- 06-29-2005 12:14 PM

Cole Slaw

Dressing:

1/2 cup good mustard. I like Grey Poupon Deli Style
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1 packet sweetener
celery seed

Mix dressing ingredients in a bowl. Then add 6 cups/l lb shredded cabbage.
I buy it already shredded.

I am always asked to bring this to parties. I brought it to a bbq last weekend and everyone loved it and asked me how to make it. No one else at the bbq were low carbers. heh heh heh. :)

If you are bringing it to a party..double the recipe. It goes fast.

Di- 06-29-2005 01:26 PM

Oops..posted cole slaw recipe in the wrong place. This is not a secret recipe and I did not make it up..but it is a good one. :)

LibraEssence 06-29-2005 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Di-
Oops..posted cole slaw recipe in the wrong place. This is not a secret recipe and I did not make it up..but it is a good one. :)

glad you did...I'm going to try it out tonight...do you let it chill for awhile before serving for better taste.
I'm a cole claw novice :laugh:

Di- 06-29-2005 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LibraEssence
glad you did...I'm going to try it out tonight...do you let it chill for awhile before serving for better taste.
I'm a cole claw novice :laugh:

It's not necessary to chill it before. I do think it is better chilled and it if you make a lot and have leftovers it gets better the next day. It takes 5 minutes to slap it together. Enjoy!

War Eagle 06-29-2005 02:05 PM

I make Sticky Joe. It's sloppy joe and peanut butter. MMM MMMM!!!! No one believes me but it's great! I eat it without a bun of course, just dip youtr fork in peanut butter then take a bite of sloppy joe. It rocks!!

Cocapelle 07-01-2005 01:38 PM

I make a veggie salad dressing. Pour it on my salads, or a bunch of raw veggies, like broccoli. Use a whole jar (quart) of Mayo. Scoop out a cup, or so. Pour in 1 cup of granulated Splenda. On top of this, pour 1 cup of white rice vinegar. Stir this up. Return the mayo, that you removed, to the jar, and stir it back in. This is a great dressing, and I have used it for cole slaw, too! :kicking:

HeatherFeather 07-01-2005 02:09 PM

One of my favorite LC "tricks" and the most often used "secret ingredient" is my SF pickle relish. I use one VERY large (from Costco) jar of sweet relish. Empty it out into a very large (I use the top of a round layer cake cover) bowl and cover it completely with water (there should be room for all the relish plus several gallons of water). Let is soak for a few minutes and drain all the water off. Fill again and leave for an hour or so and then redrain. Repeat this two or three times until all you have left is the pickle mix that is basically tasteless (no sugar left). Add to this white vinegar, sweetener of choice (I use erythritol and liquid sucralose) and pickling spices (whole mustard seed, tarragon, whole celery seed) to taste. Keep adding until you get the taste the way you like it. This lasts for months in the frig. It is way cheaper than buying SF relish and makes a big difference to tuna salad and 1000 island dressing and burgers etc.

Biscotti 07-01-2005 05:58 PM

LibraEssence-enjoyed your recipe for zucchini with sour cream & parmesan cheese. My DH told me he liked it too.

Another way I like zucchini is:

4 T. butter
2 T. minced onions
1 pound zucchini, skin left on, shredded
salt, to taste
dill weed, to taste

Heat butter, add onions and saute about 1 minute. Add zucchini, saute for 2 minutes until tender. Season with dill weed and salt.