Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2007, 10:07 AM   #91
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sooz
Stats: 171.8/157.9/145 (5'6")
WOE: LC/IF
Start Date: Over and over and over
I didn't so much "concoct" this recipe as I did modify a TOH recipe that we loved pre-low carb. We have this soup at least twice a month during the chilly season and everyone loves it!

Bacon Cheeseburger Soup - Low Carb Version
8 servings 1 hour 15 min prep

1 lb lean ground beef
6 slices bacon, chopped
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
1 teaspoon Frank's red hot sauce
4 cups chicken broth
8 ounces Velveeta cheese (cubed)
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup sour cream

In a large saucepan, cook beef and chopped bacon until both are browned. Add chicken broth, basil, parsley, Franks Red Hot Sauce and bring to a boil. Reduce heat - Cover and simmer for 20 - 30 minutes.

Add Velveeta, heavy cream, salt and pepper and sour cream and stir until Velveeta melts.

Serve in bowls and top with shredded cheese and a teaspoon of sour cream (if desired).

For 8 servings this is 5.3 grams of carbs.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I NEGU! Do you?
Sooz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2007, 10:33 AM   #92
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sooz
Stats: 171.8/157.9/145 (5'6")
WOE: LC/IF
Start Date: Over and over and over
This is another recipe that I adapted from a higher carb Pizza Soup so that is a bit lower in carbs. This is a really good, rich meal, but not for those on induction. At 8 servings it is 17.8 grams of carbs with 2.1 grams of fiber. We are on 30 grams of net carbs a day, so if I make this we all know to save half of our carbs.

Pizza Soup Low(Er) Carb
8 servings
2 lbs Italian sausage (ground type)
8 ounces pepperoni, sliced in half
1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1 (14 ounce) jar pizza sauce (lowest carb you can find)
5 cups water
1 teaspoon italian seasoning

Brown ground beef and pepperoni in a large dutch oven. Rinse and drain to remove some of the fat from the pepperoni.

Put meat back in dutch oven and add the remaining ingredients. (If desired, you can also add sliced mushrooms at this point too.)

Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for 45 minutes.

Skim off any additional fat from the pepperoni as desired.

Serve in bowls topped with shredded mozzarella cheese (if desired).
Sooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 11:15 PM   #93
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Mindy
WOE: All Sorts of LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemming View Post
Peanut butter pudding: put equal amounts of peanut butter and cream cheese (maybe 2 T each) in a heat proof bowl. Add 2 packs (or to taste) Splenda and nuke until the cream cheese starts to melt. Add Davinci's SF marshmallow syrup--maybe a couple of tablespoons, I never measure. Start stirring--it will look funny at first but if the proportions are correct it will end up smooth and fluffy. It's great just like that (this makes a single serving), but if I really want to "gild the lilly" I drop a Hershey's Dark mini SF chocolate bar into the still-warm pudding and eat the pudding as the chocolate melts...

I especially like this (without the chocolate) when I'm dying for something really "dessert-like" but don't want any sugar alcohols...
Is the marshmallow syrup just marshmallow or toasted marshmallow? I found the toasted on netrition but not regular marshmallow - thx.
Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 11:16 AM   #94
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nicole714
Stats: 18/12/8
WOE: lowcarb
I make a simple beef, cabbage and cheese dish that has become a staple in my home even non lc'rs enjoy it!

brown 1 lb ground beef, set aside. (season with salt and pepper to taste)

shred 1 head of cabbage.

IMO Cabbage takes way too long to saute so I cut down cooking time by dumping the shredded head of cabbage in a large microwave bowl with a little water for 5-10 min (depending on your microwave and the size of cabbage you get)

Chop 1 sm- med onion and saute in a LARGE frying pan in butter, Add the microwaved cabbage and toss until cabbage sauted and starts too brown (thats when it tastes best!)
add ground beef to cabbage mixture and 1 reg size can of tomato sauce (hunts is the lowest carb one I can find in my local grocer, but use whatever you like best) mix everything well.

In glass baking dish layer half of the mixture, and top with 1/2 bag of shredded mozzarella (approx 4oz). Add the next layer fo the remaining cabbage mixture and top with remaining cheese. Bake in 350 preheated oven for appros 15 min until cheese is gold and bubbly. Its even better the next day after being refrigerated it can be cut into squares like lasagna and reheated in the microwave.

Last edited by nicole714; 03-28-2007 at 11:18 AM..
nicole714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 11:33 AM   #95
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Creamy Tofu/Turkey spread (good with veggie strips or as a sandwich filling with lettuce and tomato)
2 parts cooked turkey or chicken
1 part firm tofu
Whirl in food processor till almost but not quite smooth. Add chopped peppers, celery, a touch of onion, salt, pepper, and cayenne and stir by hand to mix. Good with a touch of cumin and chili powder too.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 08:16 AM   #96
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lemming
Yeah, it's the "toasted marshmallow" syrup. You could use vanilla or another flavor if you prefer, but I like the marshmallow with the PB and chocolate...
Lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 11:26 AM   #97
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DixieMoon
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 2/2011
Stuffed Zucchini

3 large zucchini
1 lb hamburger
1 very small onion
2 cans lowest carb canned tomato sauce - I use Kroger -no sugar added
Italian seasoning
garlic powder
mozzarella cheese-shredded

Cut off ends of 3 large zucchini. Slice lengthwise. Scoop out middle with teaspoon and discard. Brown hamburger and onion till done. Drain excess fat. Add tomato sauce and season with Italian seasoning and garlic powder to your liking. Simmer for about 15 mins. Put the raw zucchini in a lasagna dish (sprayed with Pam) Fill zucchini with meat mixture and cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 mins depending on how soft you like zucchini. Uncover and top with shredded mozzarella cheese and put back in oven until cheese melts. This is sooo good and even better reheated the next several days.
DixieMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 12:31 PM   #98
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Jeska
Stats: 246/212.5/180
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: January 8, 2007
Honey Mustard Dressing/Dip

1 container Honey Tree Sugar Free Honey (the one that looks like the bear - 12 oz)
12 oz Dijon Mustard
1/2 cup mayo
tsp kosher salt
2 T. Cider Vinegar

Whisk all ingredients well - chill for several hours and enjoy. You can easily adjust the honey to mustard ratio, and also add or subtract the mayo per your own taste.

I use this to make a yummy chicken salad, I use it for dipping parm cheese fried chicken, etc. Anywhere you would use honey mustard... you can use this. It also makes a great chef salad dressing.
Jeska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 12:59 PM   #99
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: ItsTheWooo
Stats: 280/118 (5'5)
WOE: Maintain with <60 carbs average and watching cals
Start Date: March 2003
Coconut Almond Macroon Cookies

4 oz coconut meat, dried, sugar free
1 oz almonds, slivered
12 g hi-maize corn starch 60% RS
4 oz Scott’s Condensed Milk (search for the recipe in the forum).
1 t vanilla extract, coconut extract and/or almond extract (small amount)

Pretty simple, just mix it together and ball it up, cook for <15 m at 350. Makes about 24 walnut (in shell) size cookies.
Each cookie is real low cal and low carb. Cover it in melted chocolate for a fake almond joy.
Yum yum.
ItsTheWooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 02:14 AM   #100
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Mindy
WOE: All Sorts of LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemming View Post
Yeah, it's the "toasted marshmallow" syrup. You could use vanilla or another flavor if you prefer, but I like the marshmallow with the PB and chocolate...
Great - thanks... I'd rather try the marshmallow - that reminds me of peanut butter fudge...
Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote