Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2005, 06:18 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Windchimes
Stats: 64 pounds lost forever!
WOE: Was SB, now Atkins
Start Date: August 2004
I like zucchini, too.

I just made this last week:

Sautee zucchini and onion in olive oil with salt, pepper, dried basil, and garlic powder. Brown ground beef and add the two together. Pour LC pasta sauce over and mix it in.

It's sooo yummy. I think adding cheese would be good, too.
Windchimes is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2005, 08:55 PM   #32
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: argo2d
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherFeather
One of my favorite LC "tricks" and the most often used "secret ingredient" is my SF pickle relish. I use one VERY large (from Costco) jar of sweet relish. Empty it out into a very large (I use the top of a round layer cake cover) bowl and cover it completely with water (there should be room for all the relish plus several gallons of water). Let is soak for a few minutes and drain all the water off. Fill again and leave for an hour or so and then redrain. Repeat this two or three times until all you have left is the pickle mix that is basically tasteless (no sugar left). Add to this white vinegar, sweetener of choice (I use erythritol and liquid sucralose) and pickling spices (whole mustard seed, tarragon, whole celery seed) to taste. Keep adding until you get the taste the way you like it. This lasts for months in the frig. It is way cheaper than buying SF relish and makes a big difference to tuna salad and 1000 island dressing and burgers etc.
*lol* why dont you just buy splenda sweetned!! then you dont have to risk any sugar being left either! at least 2 or 3 brands are on the market now!
argo2d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 07:23 AM   #33
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
*lol* why dont you just buy splenda sweetned!! then you dont have to risk any sugar being left either! at least 2 or 3 brands are on the market now!

"It is way cheaper than buying SF relish and makes a big difference to tuna salad and 1000 island dressing and burgers etc."

Sounds like she HAS tried it but prefers her own for saving $$! Which I can understand - SF/LC stuff can get pretty pricey!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 07:46 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LESSOFME
Stats: 20/12/10 5'10"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restart 1/03/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyKitty
I think there is a similar recipe somewhere out there, but I threw these things together and found it very delicious - fresh and tangy.

Broccoli Salad

Just toss together in amounts that you like:

Chopped raw broccoli florets
Grated cheddar cheese
Hormel bacon pieces (or use crisp fried bacon pieces)

Toss together with a dressing made by mixing some Zesty Italian dressing and mayonnaise. Pour over salad ingedients.
This is also good with this dressing:

1/2 cup mayo
2 T vinegar (I use regular or cider)
3 T splendar

quantites can be adjusted, depends on how much salad you have.

The best!! Even my non lc carbing, veggie hating dh likes this!
LESSOFME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 07:52 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Ugly Green Beans with sauce

I got the idea off of here for the ugly green beans and then came up with a sauce to put on them.

Take frozen green beans, toss them in olive oil and bake on a baking sheet/stone at 375 for 30 minutes. Turn a couple of times during baking. These will turn ugly and brown but are very good!!

After they come out put them in a bowl with a Tablespoon of margarine or butter, sprinkle Splendar and add 1 T of cider vinegar.

Theses are the best!!!!
Old 07-02-2005, 07:56 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kaos0100
Stats: 415/269/
WOE: JUDDD - started 6/25/12
Start Date: 3/27/12
Could you make the broccoli salad with cauliflower instead? Would it be as good? I dont like broccoli...<sigh>
Kaos0100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 08:27 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaos0100
Could you make the broccoli salad with cauliflower instead? Would it be as good? I dont like broccoli...<sigh>
Sure! When I make it I add broccoli AND cauliflower. So cauliflower alone would taste fine.
Old 07-02-2005, 03:11 PM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 212/200 /goal 150
WOE: Lowcarb
Great tasteing burgers and tender too, hubby loves these. They're good without the cream cheese spread too.

1 1/2 pounds hamburger
1 can spam ( I know it has bad stuff in it) lol
1 cup cream cheese
1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar
1 tsp herb seasoning

put spam in food processor in big chunks,pulse until it looks like the hamburger,now add to hamburger and mix well.

Now mix the cream cheese mix and spread on a thin layer to very thin flat burger and top with another thin flat burger and pinch edges together. Wrap each with plastic wrap and freeze or cook now.

Last edited by Tater Head; 07-02-2005 at 03:21 PM..
Tater Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 08:43 PM   #39
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: argo2d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski

"It is way cheaper than buying SF relish and makes a big difference to tuna salad and 1000 island dressing and burgers etc."

Sounds like she HAS tried it but prefers her own for saving $$! Which I can understand - SF/LC stuff can get pretty pricey!

hmm that's odd, i found that the sugar free was the same price as the regular relish

i've also stocked up on relish coupons so i'm set for awhile!!
argo2d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 09:47 PM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Alison Jean 71
Stats: 159/121/119 5'6" 40yrs
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: January 3, 2004
SF relish may be the same price where you are but where I am , it is definitely NOT.
I have checked 3 markets and only one carries it and it is a small container.
Alison Jean 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 02:58 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oliveoyl
Stats: 208/166/165
WOE: Low Carb Primal
Start Date: August 2002
This torte is fantastic, very quick and easy to make and can be flavored in a thousand different ways. You can add fruit or chocolate chips, vary the nuts or top it with a sauce. It makes six big servings and if you use a liquid sweetener, it only has 2.5 carbs per serving. The calorie count is also fairly decent -- about 200 calories. I've served it to company with great success and even my carb-addicted kids love it.

1 c nuts (almonds, pecans, hazlenuts or walnuts)
4 large eggs
sweetener equivalent to 1 cup
2 t vanilla
1 scoop whey powder (I use plain, but flavored is fine)
2.5 t baking powder
4 oz cream cheese
optional: 4 T cocoa for a chocolate torte

Preheat oven to 350. Grease an 8" cake pan very well. Lining it with wax paper also helps. Grind the nuts in the food processor into meal. Add everything else to the food processor and mix well. Pour into the cake pan and bake about ten to fifteen minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Do not overbake -- if in doubt, take it out early. It may be a little mushy in the middle, but I think it tastes great that way.

Some variations:
1 t cinnamon
2 tsp orange or lemon rind
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1 c blueberries, 1 t cinnamon & 1/2 t nutmeg (the berries all clump on the bottom, but it's still very good)
This is unbelievable: use almonds for the nuts and add the zest of 1 whole lemon or orange, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 t almond extract. Serve with chocolate sauce, raspberry sauce or blueberry sauce
oliveoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 08:13 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Wine2
Stats: 5'7 53 y.o.189/175/165 (size:14,12,10)
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 12/26/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECK
for this way of life. It is ideas like the one below that help me live this way of life.This isn't mine but Brookjay shared this with me and it has been a lifesaver for me. take 2oz of cream cheese and put it in the microwavable pan and nuke it for about 25 seconds to get it good and soft. Add 2 eggs, 3+ tablespoons of flax meal, 2 packets of splenda and mix it all up really well. Top it with cinnamon. Put it in the microwave and nuke it for about 3 minutes or so. When it comes out, throw a pat of butter on it and sprinkle a titch of splenda or stevia on it. Voila!
Speck, this is sooo good for breakfast. I added SFvanilla syrup to the "batter" before nuking and it all reminding me of French toast...you know, how our imaginations do have to stretch, but it is a nice change from eggs & bacon! Thanks for posting!
Wine2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 03:24 PM   #43
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: LeighDear
An awsome LC pasta sauce my mom & I came up with....

In a little butter & olive oil, Sautee about 1/2 a pound of chopped proscuitto ham in a medium skillet & add 1/2 a small onion finely chopped. Add about 1/2 a cup olive salad, or if you can't find that, 1/2 cup coarsly chopped green olives....throw in a bit of chopped garlic & some chopped roasted red peppers......pour in enough heavy cream to get a nice sauce consistancy, then mix in 2 TBS of ready-made Pesto sauce....

Pour over LC pasta....I like the penne best....top with grated Parmesan.....

Amazingly good, if I do say so myself....and VERY quick....The pasta takes longer to cook than the sauce!
LeighDear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 10:22 PM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 1BellaDonna
Stats: Highest =202 (post-pregnancy 1 of 2)/142.6, 5'8"
WOE: LC, hcg, JUDDD
oh yummy! thanks leighdear!
1BellaDonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 07:26 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cjack1
Like Velveeta Rotel Dip, But Main Dish Meal

1 1/2 lbs hamburger
1 can Rotel tomatoes
1 bag Angel Hair Cole Slaw (Cabbage)
8 oz. American Cheese

Brown hamburger and drain. Add Rotel tomatoes and cabbage to hamburger. Simmer until cabbage is tender. Add cheese and let melt. Stir cheese into mixture.

This is really delicious and super easy. It is has the flavor of Velveeta Rotel dip. My family really loved it, too.

As a side note, I think this cabbage would be a good substitute for noodles and spaghetti in other recipes. It doesn't taste "cabbagy" at all after cooking.
cjack1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 01:58 PM   #46
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: 5cats4me
Stats: 185/134/130
WOE: Atkins without counting
Start Date: Jan 04
Great thread!

1. Dreamfield spaghetti topped with chopped onion and garlic (both browned but not burnt) sauteed in olive oil. Pour over the spaghetti (some of the oil too). Then sprinkle a bunch of parmesan cheese over the whole thing and toss.

2. My own Quick and Easy BBQ sauce. Mix 1/2-3/4 cup lc ketchup (I use Keto), 1 packet Splenda, 1 tsp blackstrap molasses and a splash of Liquid Smoke. Stir and use wherever you use BBQ sauce.
5cats4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 02:03 PM   #47
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: LibraEssence
Stats: 5'10"- 206 as of Oct 2007
WOE: ...Induction
Start Date: back at again Since August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cats4me
Great thread!

1. Dreamfield spaghetti topped with chopped onion and garlic (both browned but not burnt) sauteed in olive oil. Pour over the spaghetti (some of the oil too). Then sprinkle a bunch of parmesan cheese over the whole thing and toss.

2. My own Quick and Easy BBQ sauce. Mix 1/2-3/4 cup lc ketchup (I use Keto), 1 packet Splenda, 1 tsp blackstrap molasses and a splash of Liquid Smoke. Stir and use wherever you use BBQ sauce.
Thanks for sharing this recipe...I was just sitting here eating my piece of bbq chicken thinking I haven't found anymore Carb Well bbq sauce for the last 2 weeks in the store and I'm running out and I'm not happy about that . I'm going to make some tonight for tomorrow.

I was thinking of throwing in a clove of minced garlic as well...I lubs garlic
LibraEssence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 04:56 PM   #48
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: 5cats4me
Stats: 185/134/130
WOE: Atkins without counting
Start Date: Jan 04
Great idea adding the garlic! YUM!

I also top my meatloaf with a mixture of Keto ketchup, splenda and blackstrap molasses before baking. It adds a nice sweetness.

Hope you like the sauce!
5cats4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 12:14 PM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: areece03
My secret that I wish more people would try is pureed/blended tofu. I get the morinu lite silken tofu that come in sealed blocks and don't need to be refrigerated. The whole block is 120 calories and less than 4 carbs. I use a stick blender and puree the entire block plus its liquid until smooth. I usually add a little more water, its pretty thick on its own. I keep this mix in the fridge and use it for a lot of different things. It doesnt have much taste of its own, so I mix it with a splash of vinegar and everything from dry ranch dressing mix for veggie dip, splenda and celery seed for coleslaw, mollymcbutter fatfree cheese sprinkles and a dash of tabasco for nacho cheese dip, heinz 1 carb ketchup and sf relish for 1000 island, mustard and splenda for a creamy honey mustard dip/dressing, etc. As you can see the possibilities are endless. I also use it in place of mayo, just adding vinegar/lemon juice onion powder and a little splenda. Or I use it to thicken originally cream based soups or sauces. I come up with new uses for it everyday. And its basically guilt free as opposed to cream or mayo. I love the stuff! If anyone comes up with different ideas for it, i'd appreciate it.
areece03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 02:54 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tammay
Stats: 188/188/123
WOE: SBD Vegetarian
Start Date: Jan 2002 (restarted: 6/1/11)
areece, I just started discovering the joys of tofu myself. I use it every morning in a fruit smoothie and I'm now experimenting with different tofu puddings to see which one I like. I'm not a vegetarian but I don't eat dairy and this has become a great dairy substitute so far.

Tam
tammay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 07:06 PM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jeamevan
Stats: 150/115/115
Start Date: Feb 2004
Pumpkin-Pie-In-A-Bowl

1 can pumpkin
3/4 cup whipped cream cheese, softened
Splenda, cinnamon, vanilla extract, and pumpkin pie spice to taste

Just beat until fluffy and then chill.
Divine w/ a dollop of whipped cream.

Mock Cookie Dough

2 TB almond flour
2 TB Carbquick
1.5 TB cold butter (I use Fat Free Promise Spread)
2 packets splenda
small shake Brown Sugar Twin

Mix dry ingredients then "cut" the butter in.

sometimes I add a few chopped nuts or shredded coconut.
sounds weird, but I swear its delish
jeamevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 07:07 PM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jeamevan
Stats: 150/115/115
Start Date: Feb 2004
tammay -- could you share your tofu smoothie recipe?
jeamevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 11:12 AM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cocapelle
This is what I named VEGETABLE MEDLEY

1 Zuchini
1 Summer Squash
2 Stalks Of Celery
1/2 Cup canned Mushrooms
2 Plum Tomatoes

Olive Oil
Sesame Oil
2 Tablespoons Teryaki Sauce
Salt & Pepper

Heat 2 or 3 tablespoons of olive oil, in a large frying pan. Slice up all the vegetables and cook in a covered pan. There will be a lot of juice. After the vegetables are done, remove the cover, add salt and pepper to taste. Add a few drops of sesame oil and the teryaki sauce. Cook, uncovered, until the juice is absorbed.

Italian Zuchini

Cut zuchini in rounds. Fry in olive oil and garlic until browned. Remove oil from the pan. Cover in layers of zuchini, tomato sauce, and romano cheese. Put a lid on and slow cook until juice has absorbed.

Zuchini Patties

Shred 2 zuchini. Mix in about a cup of shredded cheddar cheese and one egg. Fry in patties, or as one batch, all together, until browned.

These are my favorite ways to fix zuchini.

The older you get, the tougher it is to lose weight, because by then your
body and your fat have gotten to be really good friends.

My recipes: http://recipecircus.com/recipes/COCAPELLE/
Cocapelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 10:59 PM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 1BellaDonna
Stats: Highest =202 (post-pregnancy 1 of 2)/142.6, 5'8"
WOE: LC, hcg, JUDDD
OMG! jeamevan, do you just then eat your mock cookie dough plain?!?! i LOVE cookie dough.
1BellaDonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 09:53 PM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: princesswu
Stats: Goal Met-(225 to 150!!!!) New G:150-154/145/135
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Jan/04
bump
princesswu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 08:29 AM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: meco
I love mock mashed potatoes and I have found that you can add it to veg. soup to thicken. I love it.
Helen
meco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 05:10 PM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sherrymyra
sweet pickle relish

Today I found sweet pickle relish, sugar free, made with Splenda. Just in case anyone is interested.
sherrymyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 05:21 PM   #58
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: LibraEssence
Stats: 5'10"- 206 as of Oct 2007
WOE: ...Induction
Start Date: back at again Since August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandame
I love mock mashed potatoes and I have found that you can add it to veg. soup to thicken. I love it.
Helen
I've made gumbo using mock mashed potatoes...it was sooooooo good
LibraEssence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 11:48 AM   #59
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mrssillymom
Stats: 293/282/190
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: 2/18/2014
I make a skillet pizza!!

in a non stick skillet put in 1 cup mozzarella cheese, cook till all bubbly and getting brown on the bottom, add some pepperoni slices and about 2 tbsp tomato sauce or fav pasta sauce..... heat till pepperoni and sauce heat. Remove from pan with spatula...(it should be rather brown on the bottom and crispy.)
I fold it in half like an omelette and if you let it cool just a minute or two you can pick it up with your hands and eat it like a pizza... it is crunchy on the outside and totally has the taste of pepperoni pizza. I had this for lunch today !! YUUMMMMY

**you can also add peppers, mushrooms etc if you want to make it more like a loaded pizza... I just do pepperoni cause it is quick and cheap!!***
Mrssillymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 01:07 PM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Wine2
Stats: 5'7 53 y.o.189/175/165 (size:14,12,10)
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 12/26/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrssillymom3
I make a skillet pizza!!

in a non stick skillet put in 1 cup mozzarella cheese, cook till all bubbly and getting brown on the bottom, add some pepperoni slices and about 2 tbsp tomato sauce or fav pasta sauce..... heat till pepperoni and sauce heat. Remove from pan with spatula...(it should be rather brown on the bottom and crispy.)
I fold it in half like an omelette and if you let it cool just a minute or two you can pick it up with your hands and eat it like a pizza... it is crunchy on the outside and totally has the taste of pepperoni pizza. I had this for lunch today !! YUUMMMMY

**you can also add peppers, mushrooms etc if you want to make it more like a loaded pizza... I just do pepperoni cause it is quick and cheap!!***
Great idea! I will be making this!
Wine2 is offline   Reply With Quote