Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2005, 04:16 PM   #1
Body By Johnsonville

Gallery: CandidCam
WOE: Food...not "food"
FoodSaver loss of seal...?

We've had a FoodSaver 1200 for a couple of years now. It doesn't get a ton of use, just mostly in spurts--when we buy bulk meats at Sam's Club.

In the past it has worked pretty well, but last night I pulled out a big salmon filet and discovered that it was not sealed and had a good deal of frost inside the package. I also pulled out a package with 2 steaks that had suffered the same fate. And I recall a month or so ago finding another package that had done the same thing. All of these were sealed probably 2-4 months ago.

On none of the packages is there any visible area where the seal has let go, or where there is a crease or any other way that the plastic could have come unsealed. I am totally befuddled by this.

Has this happened to anyone else, and do you have any idea why? The bags are expensive and if they aren't going to stay sealed, then I might as well just use the Glad Press-n-Seal stuff and sell the vacuum sealer.

k
CandidCam is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2005, 04:27 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mona
Stats: 380/311/175 46y.o. 5'10"
WOE: VSG 11/14/11 Moderate LC
Yes this has happened to me a few times but I have the Black & Decker version (which i'm not too happy with btw). I don't know what the reason is either.

The sealer is turning out to be more bother than it's worth. I think I'm going to go back to just using freezer ziplocs.
Mona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 07:05 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Petlady
WOE: Just low carb
Start Date: Which time?!
I have a Rival Seal-a-Meal and have never had any problems.

However my FIL has a different brand, not sure which one and has had problems with his with certain types of bags, not sure whether the thickness is different or what but sometimes his don't seal either.
Petlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 07:24 PM   #4
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Are you using the recommended bags for it? I bought a less expensive bag for my sealer and they didn't work properly.

Dig out your owner's manual and call their 800 number for customer service - I bet they can help you troubleshoot the problem!

Char
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 07:31 PM   #5
Body By Johnsonville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski
Are you using the recommended bags for it? I bought a less expensive bag for my sealer and they didn't work properly.

Dig out your owner's manual and call their 800 number for customer service - I bet they can help you troubleshoot the problem!

Char
Yep, their bags. The weird thing is that they are sealed perfectly well when I put them in the freezer...it is only later that they are unsealing. Very odd.

k
Old 06-23-2005, 10:20 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SSin-Deb
Stats: 245/164 /160 ~ 6'1"
WOE: HCG R4P2 (previous Somersizer)
Start Date: April, 2008 (Somersize 2-01)
Yes, I too recommend calling customer service. They're sort of notorious for 'maybe you'll get an answer, maybe you won't.' But if you don't get an answer, call back again and you'll speak with someone else.

I belong to the Yahoo Food Saver group and have learned a lot there. I find that when bags have lost their seal, a lot of the time it's because mine have gotten shuffled around enough that I've actually punctured it in one way or another.

You can also remove the black, square rectangular gasket in the inside of the lid. My model's a 1075 and mine is surrounding the heating strip. Anyway - I remove this periodically and wash gently, hang to dry and reinsert. This helps with sealing problems. *▄*
SSin-Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 03:43 PM   #7
Gadget Gal

If it seems to be sealed properly at first, and then UNseals - I'd suspect maybe some moisture or other "foreign object" as actually been in the "sealing path" (for lack of a better way to describe it! ) and it will pull a vacuum to start with, but once the moisture freezes or the "FO" shifts due to freezing, it's allowing a pinpoint opening to occur. Just a guess. The only OTHER thing I can think of happened to me with sealing shallots and refrigerating - the shallots actually off-gas after a while, causing the bag to sort of "blow up" inside, although I never lost the seal. The bag turned into a balloon though! LOL!

Char

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Old 06-24-2005, 06:01 PM   #8
Body By Johnsonville

Wow, Char, that's pretty freaky!

Hmmm...maybe the moisture thing is key...but it's so odd, since we had used it for a year before having these un-sealing issues...and we aren't doing anything differently. It's really weird.

k
Old 06-24-2005, 06:16 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hookmaster7
Stats: 220/180/130
WOE: ATKINS
Start Date: JUNE 1999
Take one of your bags that has lost it's seal and fill it with water and see if it leaks anywhere. It is possible that it has a small prick from something in your freezer.
hookmaster7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 07:03 PM   #10
Gadget Gal

I'm not touching THAT line....

Is this the same roll of bags too? Makes me wonder if you somehow got a defective roll that doesn't like to stay vacuumed!

Char
Old 06-24-2005, 08:41 PM   #11
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: argo2d
Quote:
Originally Posted by hookmaster7
Take one of your bags that has lost it's seal and fill it with water and see if it leaks anywhere. It is possible that it has a small prick from something in your freezer.

you have any idea how hard it is to clean frozen liquid off the freezer floor!?!
argo2d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 05:43 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hookmaster7
Stats: 220/180/130
WOE: ATKINS
Start Date: JUNE 1999
I did not suggest that you put it back in the freezer, hold it over the sink and see if you have any tiny holes, from something rubbing against it in the freezer.....
hookmaster7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 06:06 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Phinnk
I use my food saver (Kenmore) all the time. For my own personal satisfaction, I always seal each bag twice - about 1/4 to 1/2" apart from the original seal. My food saver sometimes does not seal 100 percent, and that's because the thin metal strip does not always lie completely flat when sealing. A little quirk, but over all I LOVE this appliance! Never had a problem with the seal coming undone in the freezer, and I have used black & decker bags when I wasn't able to go to Sears to buy their brand.
Phinnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 05:08 PM   #14
Body By Johnsonville

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookmaster7
Only way to do that would be to cut the meat out of the bag...thus potentially cutting the bum seal...

k
Old 06-27-2005, 05:10 PM   #15
Body By Johnsonville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski
I'm not touching THAT line....

Is this the same roll of bags too? Makes me wonder if you somehow got a defective roll that doesn't like to stay vacuumed!

Char
Ooh...now that could very well be the problem. I wonder if we got a bad roll or there is a section of the roll that is faulty. I think my unsealed bags did come from the same roll. Hmmm.....

k
Old 06-28-2005, 08:17 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kaos0100
Stats: 415/269/
WOE: JUDDD - started 6/25/12
Start Date: 3/27/12
I have also pulled things from the freezer that have lost their seal and are freezer burned. Have always wondered what happened to it since it was sealed when I put it in there. I use the Food Saver also.
Kaos0100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 10:10 AM   #17
Gadget Gal

Here's my "theory du jour" -

You may be able to pull a vacuum on it and make a seal, but there could be a miniscule bit of moisture/foreign substance (meat parts or some such!) that seal temporarily, but when frozen, expand and break the seal.

That's my theory and I'm stickin' to it! LOL!

Char