Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Carbalose Egg Rolls, Maybe? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/356750-carbalose-egg-rolls-maybe.html)

Beeb 06-21-2005 07:18 PM

Carbalose Egg Rolls, Maybe?

Was just thinking about this. Do you all think we could make an eggroll wrapper using this flour? Would it fry up ok?

Wouldn't that be something and think of the possiblities!!! :stars: :clap:

Charski 06-21-2005 07:23 PM

GREAT idea! I need me some Carbalose flour ASAP!

Linda, LOVE your new pics!

Char

CarolynF 06-21-2005 08:27 PM

Here's a recipe for Wontons and/or Eggroll Wrappers..Hey..how about Crab Ragoon??

I'm not sure how this would be..as it is Carbalose and water..

2 cups flour (Carbalose)
1/2 tsp. salt..(I would cut it back to a pinch)
1/3 cup warm water
Cornstarch if you are storing them..so they can stack..

In a mixing bowl, mix Carbalose, salt, and add water slowly..to make a stiff dough.
Turn the dough out and knead for 10-15 minutes until this is an elastic dough..
You could also do this in a food processor..Cover dough and let rest for 20 minutes.

Divide dough into 4ths..Roll each 4th into a 12-inch square. With a sharp knife, cut the dough into 6 inch squares..If stacking, then put a bit of Carbalose in between
them, or just roll and fill..Makes 16 egg roll wrappers..

Who knows how these will taste..but frying might enhance the flour and all the stuff
that you would stuff them with would make them probably taste super..

So..that would be 3-4 carbs for each egg roll..

CarolynF 06-22-2005 12:25 PM

I played around with this recipe..and didn't use my hand crank machine..just my rolling pin...got it pretty thin..just stuffed it with cream cheese/spinach/chives that I had in my fridge..Not bad....definitely not the crunchy tender spring roll texture..but it held the stuffing in and the frying took away the Carbalose flavor.. If I did roll it out thinner, it might have been a little more crunchy..but I didn't want the filling to fall out..

While I had the grease going on, I threw in the extra egg roll dough..it puffed up nicely...like a sopapilla..then I tossed some cinnamon and Splenda on them (after I took them out)..I could see someone making a square of this...frying it..taking it out, tossing the Splenda and cinnamon on it..Putting it in a dish..scoop some LC ice cream on top with strawberries..I would break up the square to triangles and have it sticking out the sides of the dish..then put the ice cream/strawberries on top..YUM

Charski 06-22-2005 04:02 PM

Sounds kinda like the Italian speengies I used to get! They were deep-fried and either sprinkled with cinnamon/sugar or drizzled with chocolate syrup and topped with custard or ice cream...OK there I go drooling on the keyboard again........

Cap57 06-22-2005 05:28 PM

I wonder if you added a little resistant starch to this if it would make for a crispier texture. That's the effect it seems to have on cookies.

CarolynF 06-22-2005 08:49 PM

Hmmm..where do you get that stuff, Cap?

Hey, how about Chinese dumplings? Or..potstickers..I think they would
have to be panfried to taste better..

Tom 06-22-2005 11:19 PM

The Wheat Protein Isolate 5000 might also be a good addition for enhancing the crispness.

Cap57 06-23-2005 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarolynF
Hmmm..where do you get that stuff, Cap?

Hey, how about Chinese dumplings? Or..potstickers..I think they would
have to be panfried to taste better..

I got mine earlier. But Netrition is now carrying both products, so now I order from them. Click on the highlighted "resistant starch" and it will bring you to the right place.

Cap57 06-23-2005 11:24 AM

Okay, I just tried a very small batch of crab rangoons. The recipe I had for egg roll wrappers was similar to Carolyn's but called for an egg. I only did a quarter batch, which would be 1/2 cup Carbalose. I probably used 2 Tab. of water, and about a Tab. of egg. I also added a Tab. of resistant starch. I left out the salt altogether. It rolled out fine, but the texture when fried just doesn't come out crispy like you want it to. It's more like thin bread, which would probably be good in a Hot Pocket type thing, but just misses the mark for crab rangoon or egg rolls IMO. The taste is neutral, though, which is a good thing-no strong Carbquik taste. Maybe someone else will have other ideas of how to tweak this.