Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2005, 06:12 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Heartburn
Stats: 210/198.75/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 5, 2005
Ginger?

Bought crystallized ginger today but just found out the carb count is HIGH. Do you use fresh ginger root and if you do, how do you store it: in a baggie in the fridge or just in the vegetable drawer like it is or do you freeze it? I'm learning to cook all over again.
Heartburn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2005, 06:44 PM   #2
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Cystallized ginger is made with sugar, hence the high carb count!

I buy the fresh minced ginger in a jar - much easier IMHO - but when I did/do buy fresh, I put it in a sandwich baggie and store it in the freezer. You can grate it frozen, using just as much as you need. One of those rasp-style graters works really well with ginger!

You can also peel it, slice it into very thin medallions, then put into a jar and cover with a light-flavored oil, I like extra-light olive oil; then use the ginger as you need it. You also end up with some nice ginger-flavored oil which is good for flavoring things like Oriental style salad dressing or stir fries.

Char

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 06:48 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Char. I feel like I've forgotten everything I ever knew about cooking since I've been living on pastas, fast food and Chinese food for about 25 years!
Old 06-21-2005, 06:58 PM   #4
Gadget Gal

LOL! Don't worry, it will come back to you!

Just visit the recipes section here, or stick around this forum, you'll be back in the kitchen and doin' it all LOW CARB in no time!

I have always loved to cook - went on Weight Watchers 4 years ago, had to relearn everything for THAT WOE - then switched 2 years ago to Atkins and had to do it all AGAIN! But I'm glad I did. This WOE is well-worth the effort and SO satisfying, unlike the low-fat-ness of WW....

Char
Old 06-21-2005, 07:49 PM   #5
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: binki
Stats: 190/160/140
WOE: just low carb
Start Date: November 2003
I am totally going to make crystallized ginger with PolyD one of these years....
binki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 08:46 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sue421
Stats: 150/125/125
Start Date: Dec. 2003
Char, thank you, those are such wonderfully clever ideas for keeping ginger fresh. Mine always goes bad before I get to use it all. Thanks muchly!!!
Sue421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 09:16 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by binki
I am totally going to make crystallized ginger with PolyD one of these years....
Already tried that, it works but they PD recrystallizes and they aren't sticky like 'normal' crystallized ginger, they're hard little cubes, I figure they'll soften up when I use them in cooking...get a really nice and SPICY 'ginger sugar candy' out of it too.

Scott123 can explain why the PD doesn't stay soft and sticky! I haven't the words (and darn he's good).
theislandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 07:55 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the responses! When I advance from kindergarten cooking I'm going to try that PD stuff once I find out what it is. The search engine on this site is awesome, thank goodness.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:30 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CRosie
Stats: 266/186/150
WOE: my own low carb/sometimes lowfat plan
Start Date: May 21, 2007
Anybody seen Scott lately, anyway?

Miss him!

He's my Low Carb Alton Brown!

Rosie
CRosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 07:18 PM   #10
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: binki
Stats: 190/160/140
WOE: just low carb
Start Date: November 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by theislandgirl
Already tried that, it works but they PD recrystallizes and they aren't sticky like 'normal' crystallized ginger, they're hard little cubes, I figure they'll soften up when I use them in cooking...get a really nice and SPICY 'ginger sugar candy' out of it too.

Scott123 can explain why the PD doesn't stay soft and sticky! I haven't the words (and darn he's good).

Oh, that's good to know. Thanks for saving me from reinventing the wheel.
(and hi! I'll be visiting your neck of the woods this August!)
binki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 07:21 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by binki
(and hi! I'll be visiting your neck of the woods this August!)
Cool!
Old 06-22-2005, 08:35 PM   #12
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: scott123
Stats: 245/220/205
Start Date: 2/6/04
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRosie
Anybody seen Scott lately, anyway?

Miss him!

He's my Low Carb Alton Brown!

Rosie
I'm here! Just reeeeeeally busy with work. Things should calm down in a couple of weeks or so and I should be around more.

As far as the polyd not working for ginger candy...

Hmmmm... sugar gravitates towards an ordered crystalline separate state (cubes) whereas polyd gravitates toward a disordered blob. Once you add water to polyd it goes into a blob and stays a blob unless you add heat. Even with heat, though, it will continue to be a liquid as it cools and never turn into separate crystals/cubes (as a sugar solution does when it cools). Ginger candy relies on the crystallization of sugar.
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 10:53 AM   #13
Gadget Gal

What if, after cooking the ginger in a polyd/sweetener solution, you then rolled it in Erythritol and let it cool??? Might give that texture you're looking for....or maybe even in Diabetisweet to avoid the cooling effect of the erythritol, although it might be good with the bite of the ginger!

I love candied ginger. May have to tackle this one sometime soon!

Char
Old 11-20-2005, 03:40 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Finally found my experiment re the Candied Ginger, and am trying to get the ginger itself to stay a bit sticky/candylike instead of the hard little rocks I got before, and maybe still have left over some of that 'ginger syrup' with the sugary fudgy crystalline texture I got last time.

Originally, I used:
[COLOR=Green]100g of ginger, peeled & small diced
1.5 C of water
165g Polydextrose (@ 1 C unpacked)
195g Erythritol (@ 1 C unpacked)
1/16th Tsp white stevia extract powder*
1/8th tsp Lo Han liquid extract*

Bring the water to a boil, reduce to a simmer; stir together the E and PDX, stir into the simmering water until dissolved, simmer for 20 minutes or so; stir in the Stevia and the LoHan then simmer for another 30 minutes or until reduced by half. Do not allow to foam.

Strain out the ginger and jar the 'syrup'.[/COLOR]

This time, I'm going to increase the Polydextrose proportionately and see if I can get a little less recrystallization. (and I'm trying the candied orange peel, too).
Old 11-21-2005, 05:11 PM   #15
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: scott123
Stats: 245/220/205
Start Date: 2/6/04
Jude, I think attempting to control the re-crystallization of the erythritol might be a bit of a crap shoot. Since the crystal size that you're looking for in crystallized ginger is pretty much the exact same size as granular erythritol, I'd use that for your solid phase in this equation. As long as you don't heat it too much the erythritol won't dissolve and will remain granular. A polyd syrup (with a couple of high intensity sweetener combined with a little e for synergy) for the liquid phase and erythritol for the solid. You don't want the polyd syrup to be too thick, maybe 2 parts polyd to 1 part water, boiled down to 3 parts polyd to 1 part water. If you keep the syrup's residual water content high enough, the ginger will end up sticky just like the real thing

In other words, I'm agreeing with Char and recommending cooking the ginger in a polyd syrup and then rolling in erythritol. The one thing I would add, though, is to let the slices cool a bit before dipping them in the erythritol to help prevent the erythritol from dissolving.
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 06:36 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott123
... A polyd syrup (with a couple of high intensity sweetener combined with a little e for synergy) for the liquid phase and erythritol for the solid. You don't want the polyd syrup to be too thick, maybe 2 parts polyd to 1 part water, boiled down to 3 parts polyd to 1 part water. If you keep the syrup's residual water content high enough, the ginger will end up sticky just like the real thing

In other words, I'm agreeing with Char and recommending cooking the ginger in a polyd syrup and then rolling in erythritol. The one thing I would add, though, is to let the slices cool a bit before dipping them in the erythritol to help prevent the erythritol from dissolving.

I pretty much reached the same conclusion...gotta love Char and her straight shoot approach!

Meanwhile, we await the results on my candied orange peel experiment...to be eventually dipped in chocolate so it's time for tempering lessons for me.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:05 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Grace
I think your original question was how to store fresh ginger, right? I peel it and put it in a jar filled with sherry. It'll stay indefinitely in the refrigerator. I've done it this way for 40 years. I don't find it affects the flavor of the ginger at all.
Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 08:51 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LowCarbConvert
Stats: (147/120/115) 5'
Start Date: March 2004
I peel the fresh ginger, slice it into 1/2" slices, and then freeze. When I need it, I can thaw a piece or two and grate it. OR, I can take a piece out of the freezer, thaw it, and SQUEEEEZ it. The Ginger juices dribble out, and are just perfect for marinades or stir fry...
LowCarbConvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 12:22 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCarbConvert
I peel the fresh ginger, slice it into 1/2" slices, and then freeze. When I need it, I can thaw a piece or two and grate it. OR, I can take a piece out of the freezer, thaw it, and SQUEEEEZ it. The Ginger juices dribble out, and are just perfect for marinades or stir fry...
Yep, I do that when I want "uncandied" ginger, or "unpickled" ginger.