Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2005, 01:29 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: themuffin
Stats: 180/170.2/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: re-inducted -January 1, 2012
Please Help!!! My carbquik biscuits suck!!

Okay, I've read all the wonderful reviews about carquik. I was particularly pleased with the reviews for the cheddar bay biscuits ("just like Red Lobster") Well, mine were NOT just like Red Lobster.

I was barely able to enjoy them at all. In fact, I would have thrown the batch away if the darn carbquik was so dang expensive!!!

Now all of you guys who posted how delicious they were can't be wrong. I followe the receipe. What did I do wrong?
themuffin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2005, 01:31 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TovaRep
Quote:
Originally Posted by themuffin
Okay, I've read all the wonderful reviews about carquik. I was particularly pleased with the reviews for the cheddar bay biscuits ("just like Red Lobster") Well, mine were NOT just like Red Lobster.

I was barely able to enjoy them at all. In fact, I would have thrown the batch away if the darn carbquik was so dang expensive!!!

Now all of you guys who posted how delicious they were can't be wrong. I followe the receipe. What did I do wrong?
If you can post more info about how they turned out I'm sure the great cooks on this board can help you figure it out. Were they flat? Bad taste? What was the problem?
TovaRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 01:36 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

WOW!!!

that's what I call service!!

Well the first batch looked wonderful! But they had a bad taste. I've never tasted anything like it so I can't compare it to anything. I guess I'm not use to the carbquik yet.

The second batch I tweaked a bit (more garlic, butter and cheese to cover the taste) they were flat and spread over the cookie sheet, but they tasted better. Not great just better.

I wanted to bake the pound cake, but I'm scared.

Thanks again for your quick response!!!
Old 06-21-2005, 06:26 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Davian
Stats: 245 / 142 now - rather 135
WOE: Maintenance plus.....
Start Date: 02/24/04
This is my DH Favorite Biscuit Recipe

1 Cup Carbquik
1/2 stick of COLD butter
1/4 cup of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 tsp garlic powder
pinch of salt
1/8 cup heavy cream
1/8 cup water
(Old Bay Seasoning if going for the Red Lobster taste)

Preheat the oven to 450. If cookie sheet is non-stick, I wouldn't spray it. Make sure your cookie sheet is cold and make sure the butter stays cold. Meaning do not make them and let them sit on the counter to get warm.

Cut the cold butter into the carbquik with 2 knives or a pastry cutter until your mixture looks like a coarse meal. Should be very even in size. Add the shredded cheese, salt, garlic powder and blend well with a fork.

Mix the heavy cream and water in measuring cup and pour into dry mix. Mix well.

Using a tablespoon put dough on cookie sheet in a vertical dollop (the way you want it to look when done).

Bake for 8 minutes - should be golden brown.

Makes 6 biscuits.

I tried to give you more detail in the recipe - I hope this helps you out.
Old 06-21-2005, 06:33 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

This one is our favorite pancake recipe

2 eggs
1/3 cup Heavy Cream (must be or pancakes are flat)
1/4 cup water
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup Vanilla Davinci's (I prefer French Vanilla or Toasted Marshmallow)
1 1/2 cups Carbquik

1/8 cup oil

Heat griddle and spray with Pam.

Beat eggs in medium size bowl for 3 minutes - they'll be thick and lemon colored. Stir in the heavy cream, water, Davinci's, and extract. On low speed beat in the Carbquik and baking powder just until combined.

With a spatula carefully fold in the oil until incorporated. Carefully, scoop out batter and place onto griddle using care to keep them fluffy. Turn when bubbles cover 75% of surface.

Place in 200 oven while finishing all the pancakes. I get 12 pancakes.

Serve with butter, SF Maple Syrup and bacon or sausage.

I use this exact same recipe to make my Belgium Waffles. (Excellent)
Davian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 06:35 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Another important item.....learned this from LindaSue....make sure you WEIGH the Carbquik - do not use measuring cup. If it's a little packed down or you tap the cup, it can really really increase the amount of carbquik and that will totally blow the recipe.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:19 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian
Another important item.....learned this from LindaSue....make sure you WEIGH the Carbquik - do not use measuring cup. If it's a little packed down or you tap the cup, it can really really increase the amount of carbquik and that will totally blow the recipe.
I hate to have to ask, but how much did your Cups in your two great-sounding recipes weigh, then? No Cup weights on MY boxes of CQ....
theislandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 02:57 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Exelis
Stats: 295/265/200
Start Date: (1st 1/6/03 - 70 lbs lost) This time: 4/2/05
Some biscuit secrets:

A real hot oven (425-450)
Cold butter cut in quickly to pea-sized grains.
A very moist dough, that isn't overworked before being put on the baking sheet.
The shorter the period of time from when the wet ingredients are added to putting in the oven, the better.

I haven't read the recipe or even made anything with carbquik, but the rules ought to be the same, given what carbquik is.

Most of those really affect texture more than flavor, though. Perhaps you're just sensitive to the different flavor of carbquik.
Exelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 05:37 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

A cup is 110 grams.

I really hope this helps....CQ is a great substitute in many high carb treats.

Now if I could just figure out how to make homemade whipped cream that lasts for 3 days - that would be a miracle.

Last edited by Davian; 06-22-2005 at 05:39 AM..
Old 06-22-2005, 05:41 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

If you haven't tried these - you haven't lived......this takes the use of CQ to a whole new level.

Here you go. It's Dizneegirl's recipe. I've made them and they are delicious.

CONGO BARS

2/3 cup wheat protein isolate * )
2/3 cup almond meal * )Replace all of this with 1 1/3 cups Carbquik****
1/8 cup milk & egg protein powder *)
1 cup polydextrose
1 stick butter, room temp
1 1/2 cups Splenda granular **
1 1/2 teaspoons blackstrap molasses
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 large eggs, room temp
3/4 cup MiniCarb Chocolate Chips, semi-sweet
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350.

Grease a 9x13 baking pan, set aside.

Blend wheat protein, almond meal, milk & egg protein, and polydextrose in a small bowl. Set aside.

Cream butter, Splenda and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add eggs, and mix until blended. Add dry ingredients, and mix on low until almost blended. Add chocolate chips and nuts, and finish mixing by hand.

Spread batter evenly in prepared 9x13 pan. Bake 25-30 minutes, until top forms a golden crust.

Cool 30 minutes in pan on rack before cutting.

Per Serving (18 bars, excluding polydextrose): 134 Calories; 10g Fat (64.1% calories from fat); 6g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 35mg Cholesterol; 71mg Sodium. 1 cup of polydextrose should add 12.6 net carbs to the entire recipe

* WPI/almond flour/milk & egg protein happens to be my flour replacement of choice... you could try this with 1 1/3 cup Carbquik, if you prefer. It *should* work. .

** Or sweetners of your choice. I actually used liquid sucralose and liquid stevia to equal 1 1/2 cups of sweetness, myself. If you use all liquid, you may want to add 1/8 cup of your mixed dry ingredients to your butter when you cream it.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:51 AM   #11
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Davian, I have the ISI whipped cream maker and it is wonderful. A little pricey, but if you use a lot of whipped cream, you will love this. Keeps well too if you use the ultra pasterized cream.
Buffy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 08:22 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 212/200 /goal 150
WOE: Lowcarb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exelis
Some biscuit secrets:

A real hot oven (425-450)
Cold butter cut in quickly to pea-sized grains.
A very moist dough, that isn't overworked before being put on the baking sheet.
The shorter the period of time from when the wet ingredients are added to putting in the oven, the better.

I haven't read the recipe or even made anything with carbquik, but the rules ought to be the same, given what carbquik is.

Most of those really affect texture more than flavor, though. Perhaps you're just sensitive to the different flavor of carbquik.

just wanted to say ditto the most important part is don't over work your dough, and I never have to weigh my QC either, just make sure it's not packed down to much and you'll be fine.
Tater Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 08:57 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Thank you so much!!!!

You are all just fantastic!!! I'm gonna try out all of your ideas! Tonight......I'm making Congo squares!!!! I feel like donkey from Shriek.

Thanks Davian!!! I truly appreicate you taking the time to post all those tips and receipes.

Thanks Tater head, buffy and exelis!!!! I'm gonna bake when I get home!!!!
Old 06-22-2005, 09:31 AM   #14
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Davian, I second the whipper idea - I have a WhipIt cream whipper (charges with nitrous oxide cartridges) and the whipped cream stays fine in it for 2 full weeks!

Thread jack OFF!

Char
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 04:27 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

TheMuffin, you are most welcome - I hope you have better luck this time.

Charski or Buffy, I've never seen this whipper ? cartridges? Gosh, I love to have my whipped cream last 2 weeks! I can't get it to stay whipped looking past 1 day. So very annoying, I usually end up freezing it - well that's not particularly grand either. I even tried the Alton Brown suggestion of adding gelatine to it - that was a dismal failure too.
Old 06-22-2005, 04:52 PM   #16
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Do a web search for "cream whipper" or "whipped cream dispenser" (include the quotes for best results) and you'll turn up quite a few!

I got mine on eBay. LOVE that place!

I bought one that holds 2 cups of (unwhipped) cream, as it takes just 1 charger to charge up that amount. If you buy the bigger ones, they take 2 chargers. The smaller one which holds 1 cup of cream STILL takes 1 charger. I'm all about maximizing my investment! LOL!

You can flavor the cream however you like before charging it too - I like the DaVinci SF syrups, or just liquid Splenda and vanilla is nice.

Char

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 07:01 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45
Davian, I have the ISI whipped cream maker and it is wonderful. A little pricey, but if you use a lot of whipped cream, you will love this. Keeps well too if you use the ultra pasterized cream.
I use regular (not ultra pasteurized) whipping cream and it keeps very well in the ISI whipper....definitely 3 days.
theislandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 08:31 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mona
Stats: 380/311/175 46y.o. 5'10"
WOE: VSG 11/14/11 Moderate LC
Like you, I was really puzzled when I read all these glowing reviews about Carbquick. I said to myself, "How can these people not taste how vile and horrible this stuff is?"

I'm starting to suspect that certain people must have a gene that makes Carbquik taste nasty to them. I am one of those people. Maybe you are too.
Mona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 05:50 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Thanks so much for the whipper info.- I'm off to look into it now.

Mona, did you like Bisquik? Bisquik has it own "special" taste and CQ seems to emulate it exactly - obviously I liked that taste but it seems many do not. It might be also that you need to make items with less of it in the recipe. I absolutely love the breading mix for fish/chicken and couldn't imagine life without it.

Breading: 1 part CQ; 1 part parmesan Cheese (green can); 1 part almond flour
I also add 2 tbsp 4C controlled carb bread crumbs (for crunch) and some seasoning (garlic powder, pepper, depends on what I'm making). I keep the first three in the large ziploc bag and store in the refrigerator - I add the other stuff when I'm actually using it. I've tried every "coating" on this site and this is THE BEST. IMHO.

Last edited by Davian; 06-23-2005 at 05:52 AM..
Old 06-23-2005, 05:57 AM   #20
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Davian, just noticed your stats!!! Wowee!! Ebay is a good idea in your search for a cream whipper.
Buffy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 11:26 AM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mona
Stats: 380/311/175 46y.o. 5'10"
WOE: VSG 11/14/11 Moderate LC
Davian, I have no problem with the taste of Bisquik. In fact my alltime favorite dessert is strawberry shortcake made with the recipe from the back of the box. I'm not a big fan of just plain Bisquik biscuits--it's a texture thing. I much prefer real yeast rolls. But the flavor was fine, after all Bisquik is just flour with fat and some leavening agents added, I believe.

However Carquik tastes nothing like Bisquik IMO. It really has a nasty aftertaste and it ruins everything I try to make with it...even gravy. I'm glad others are enjoying it so much but it has not turned out to be the miracle product I was hoping for.
Mona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 11:43 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sue421
Stats: 150/125/125
Start Date: Dec. 2003
Oh dear, Mona and themuffin. It must be a "gene" thing then. There are only a few others who say they definitely don't like the "aftertaste" of Carbquik. Most can detect it, but don't "hate" it and they work to disguise it. That's what I'm reading anyway. The Carbalose flour sounds tastier. The thread for it sure looks inviting! I have this feeling this is just the first prototype for the company. They will work on the taste and the saltiness as well. There is big money riding on them doing that, I imagine.

Problem is many low-carb products were expensive and tasted horrible and they did not last on the market. Now everyone says low-carb is dead, because many of those products failed and were pulled from the shelves, but although low-carbers have reduced in numbers, there are still many diehards. I think low-carb rules!
Old 06-23-2005, 01:14 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Mona, I hope I don't have that gene. I so wanted to make all those carbquik receipes and love them like everyone else.

I was shocked when I bit into my first biscuit! I'd read reviews that they taste just like Red Lobster. Either there is something wrong with me or it's been a long time since they've had red lobster.

I didn't get a chance to try the wonderful hints and tips. I'm hoping that I don't have that gene....hoping......hoping......
Old 06-23-2005, 02:08 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lgpars
Stats: 222/208/130
WOE: AtkinsO
Start Date: Oct. 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by themuffin
Mona, I hope I don't have that gene. I so wanted to make all those carbquik receipes and love them like everyone else.

I was shocked when I bit into my first biscuit! I'd read reviews that they taste just like Red Lobster. Either there is something wrong with me or it's been a long time since they've had red lobster.

I didn't get a chance to try the wonderful hints and tips. I'm hoping that I don't have that gene....hoping......hoping......

Well, I had the same reaction when I made the Red Lobster biscuit clone with Carbquik. Nasty aftertaste. I've made a few things with the Carbquik that the aftertaste is disguised enough to be able to eat it. I much prefer the Chef's Blend Lite Flour in everything I bake. No aftertaste at all and bakes just like real flour. The mixture of that and Whey Low is a real winner for me.
lgpars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 06:19 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: woodswoman
Stats: 157/120/125
Start Date: 4/21/03
muffin - make sure you use unsalted butter with CQ too.

Davian - I found this somewhere a while back. It works well for at least a few days, haven't tried to keep it longer than that:

How To Stabilize Whipped Cream

Tired of your whipped cream separating by the second day? Do what the professionals do. Here's How:

1. Soak plain gelatin in cold water for 5 minutes.

2. Dissolve by placing it in a container over a small pot of simmering water.

3. Whip the cream until barely stiff.

4. Add melted gelatin all at once to cream during whipping.

5. Stop whipping when cream forms soft peaks.

Tips:
For 1 cup of cream use 1/2 teaspoon gelatin soaked in 1 tablespoon cold water.
For 2 cups of cream use 1 teaspoon gelatin soaked in 2 tablespoons cold water.

HTH
Old 06-23-2005, 06:25 PM   #26
Video Vixen

Gallery: megananne
Stats: way too much/8 lbs down/just right
WOE: LC/workout 5-7 times/wk
Start Date: June 2009 - this time LC for life!!
Here's what I do to tweak the cheddar biscuit recipe from the box. Instead of adding water, I add an egg, and instead of garlic powder, I use one clove minced garlic. Also, I use cooking oil in place of the butter, and just mix it all up...I don't eat much carbquik, but i do make them for my family and they gobble them up. I have tasted them and thought they tasted good.

Good luck!
megananne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 06:22 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Thank you .....

Still haven't been able to do any baking but I do hope I get a chance this weekend.

Thanks Megan, I'm going to try your receipe this weekend. I'm making everything in quater batches. I'm afraid to try the full batch versions.

Why oh why aren't I one of the lucky ones.