Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2005, 07:01 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lemming
LC "Special K" bars?

Here's a question--my mom used to make these fabulous special K bars. The base was peanut butter, sugar and corn syrup mixed, boiled briefly, and then mixed with special K cereal. The frosting was mixed butterscotch chips and chocolate chips. I was wondering...if I tried an LC version (with, of course, LC special K!), would I need to actually make the polyd corn syrup or could I just use dry poly d, water, splenda/erythritol and peanut butter? (all of which, of course, would be boiled briefly). For the frosting, I was wondering about putting some SF butterscotch pudding with the melted chocolate...any other ideas to get that butterscotch flavor?

Thanks!
Lemming is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2005, 07:47 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
I would chop up some sfree candy for the top of it..They have a Toffee one that is
very good..Chop it up really fine..then hold it together with melted chocolate chips..
or it might just stick with the lowcarb syrup stuff...
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 06:36 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Well, I made them! I mixed the water and Poly D first and boiled it, then added the peanut butter and finally, when it was a bit cooler, the splenda (I have had trouble with splenda clumping when it's heated with only small amounts of liquid). Then I stirred in the cereal. For the frosting I used LC chocolate chips, some torani SF chocolate syrup, and 2/3 of a package of SF butterscotch pudding. The chips I used were very dark chocolate, so I also added some splenda. I keep the bars in the fridge. They are great--not exactly the same flavor as the original, of course, but very good and with that chewy/crunchy texture that I love! (of course, I was halfway through my third one before I remembered that I've only consumed small quantities of polyD and the Lc chips up until now...this evening could be interesting! )

Next I want to try marshmallow-type cereal bars. What would happen to the walden farms dip if I mixed it with a poly d syrup? (I don't have marshmallow flavored syrup--does it exist?)

Anyway--Poly D ROCKS!!! I'm a big "texture" person, and I've missed the "chewy sugar" texture!
Old 06-13-2005, 09:04 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sue421
Stats: 150/125/125
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Dec. 2003
DaVinci makes a Marshmallow flavor in the sugar free variety, I think.
Sue421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 08:09 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MORE2GO
Stats: 240/184.5/150
Start Date: October 2003
lemming, could you post the recipe you followed, Special K bars are/was one of my favorites, it would be a good treat for special occasions, when I Know I'm going to be tempted by the real thing.
TIA
MORE2GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 09:14 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Well, I kinda eyeballed stuff, but here goes: (since it was experimental, I used smaller amounts than usual and thus it filled about 2/3 of a 8x8 pan.)

Mix 1/2 cup poly D and 1/4 cup water. the poly D will clump; heat over medium heat and stir until the clumps are gone and it boils, then boil about a minute. Remove from heat, stir in about 1/3 cup peanut butter. Stir in your sweetener(s) of choice--I used about 1/2 cup splenda. Then stir in about 2 cups LC special K cereal, and press the mixture into your pan. (I sprayed the pan with Pam first). For the frosting, I used Minicarb chocolate chips for the chocolate part, but they are so "dark chocolate" flavored that I couldn't taste the butterscotch. Anyway...for the frosting, melt about 1/2 cup LC chocolate. Stir in 1/4 cup or so of chocolate syrup (Torani's, etc) and 1/2 package (dry) SF butterscotch pudding mix. I also added splenda because of the dark chocolate chips, but this wouldn't be necessary with less strongly flavored chocolate. Frost, refrigerate, eat!

If anyone finds any "tweaks" that work well with this recipe, feel free to let me know! As I said, I'll probably try a marshmallow-flavored version (more similar to rice krispie bars) next...