Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2002, 02:10 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: locarbman
Stats: 289/180/185
WOE: Atkins/Maintenance
Start Date: September 1998
Liquid Stevia, Stevia Syrups, Jams & Jellies ;-)

For those interested in Liquid Splenda and unable to find a source, I have an interesting alternative...Liquid Stevia. Since pure sucralose is 600 times sweeter than sugar and pure stevia is 200 times sweeter than sugar, I mixed 1oz NOW Brand Stevia Extract (Potent White Herbal Extract) Powder in 2/3 cup of water (5.33floz) for a concentration of liquid stevia equivalent to that of liquid splenda...1/4t = 1 cup of sugar. It works as well as liquid splenda in my pink lemonade Kool-Aid...no 'funny' taste at all! I plan to test it in ice cream and cookies next ;-)

PS: Liquid Stevia has 0 carbs and the natural sweetener Stevia is recommended by Dr. Atkins, Dr.s Eades, and even Dr. Bernstein (for KD ;-)

Dr. Atkins:

What about using stevia as a sweetener?
Many people enjoy Stevia's natural sweetness and subtle licorice taste. This herb has been used as a sweetener in Japan with no ill effects for more than 25 years. In the United States, it has not yet been approved as a food, so stevia can be sold only as a nutritional supplement. It contains less than one gram of carbs per packet. You can find it in most health food stores.

Stevia (Drs. Eades)
This is a non-caloric, zero-carb natural sweetener, derived from a South American plant stevia rebaudiana, and has been in wide use in Asia for some years now. It's becoming more readily available in North America; look for it in health food and natural food stores. So far, it appears to be well-tolerated, with no reports of negative effects. It is available as a liquid extract - either concentrated or dilute, a white crystalline powder made from the extract or simply the powdered green herb leaf. It provides an intense sweet taste, which has the potential to be bitter. Some people find it has a slight anise/licorice flavour which may or may not be objectionable. Also, some studies suggest that it may possibly stimulate the release of insulin; in Protein Power Lifeplan, the Eades' recommend using stevia with caution. It is stable in heat, so is fine to use in cooking.

Dr. Bernstein:
The little packets of artificial sweetener you see on restaurant tables are predominatly glucose. Stay away from powdered sweeteners (except stevia extract)� Use only the tablet-type or stevia liquid or powder�Stevia is sold at health food stores. If you have a sweet tooth, there is no restriction on how much of these you use. They won�t affect your blood sugar.

Last edited by locarbman; 01-21-2003 at 02:21 AM..
locarbman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2002, 03:27 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: JazzyV
Stats: 268/256/185
WOE: Low Carb/Weight Watchers
Maybe the dilution helps the taste.

I have a bottle of NOW Stevia in my fridge. I tried a few drops in tea, and it had a yucky aftertaste. I haven't wanted to toss it because it cost $11.00.

I'll look forward to your culinary adventures with it and your reports !
JazzyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 03:52 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Jazzy, I've never purchased the liquid form and am not sure about it's strength, but my 'concoction' ;-) is the same strength as liquid splenda. I tasted this full strength and am not sure just how to describe it...perhaps the word harsh (slightly bitter) sweetness, at first, would apply, however, as it mixes with saliva, it is definitely sweet and not bad tasting at all. I suspect the kool-aid has some effect on the taste. Am anxious to try it in some regular recipes to see just how effective a replacement sweetener it will be...may work well for those who are unable to tolerate other sweeteners...will definitely post the results lol! I've been using this powdered stevia for several years in my coffee (1/16t per 16oz mug) and have found it quite satisfactory ;-)

PS: Checking my online source, the one ounce bottle of Stevia White Powder costs $5.23...3oz in 2 cups of water would cost $15.69 compared to $28 for one ounce of pure sucralose powder (not Granular Splenda) in 2 cups of water and ~$90 for 2 cups of Liquid Splenda ;-)

Also, the Now Brand Stevia Liq Ext costs $5.95 for 2floz and is dissolved in water with 18% alcohol...much cheaper (and no alcohol) to make your own ;-)

To mix, I just add 2/3c water to the stevia extract in the extract container and shake. I stored mine in the refrigerator, in a 'clean' small yellow mustard bottle with a pointy top (to allow using by the drop).

Last edited by locarbman; 02-14-2003 at 05:55 AM..
Old 10-18-2002, 03:06 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Update ;-)

I made maple walnut ice cream today using 1/2t liquid Stevia (equivalent to 2 cups sugar) with 1 cup of DaVinci (maple) Pancake syrup and, I also baked coconut 'ice cream sweet bread' using 1/2t liquid Stevia (equivalent to 2 cups sugar) with 1/2 cup DaVinci Coconut syrup. I honestly could tell no difference from using liquid Stevia rather than liquid Splenda. As JazzyV suggested, perhaps using liquid Stevia in larger recipes diminishes any negative taste effects one might otherwise experience. There is also the sweetening synergy found in using more than one artificial sweetener (DaVinci Splenda syrup with liquid Stevia). This could make a real difference in replacing granular Splenda in recipe's where additional liquid from sugar free syrups may be a problem. I'm now reasonably convinced that liquid Stevia is a viable alternative to liquid Splenda...cheaper and more available too.... ;-)

Last edited by locarbman; 10-18-2002 at 03:19 PM..
Old 10-18-2002, 04:13 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: froggyx6
Thanks to this thread, I just discovered a mistake I had made. I've used Stevia powder from Vitamin World for a long time - tea, coffee, kool aid, flax cereal, custards, any thing that needs to be sweetened. I was so glad to see locarbman's alternative for liquid Splenda using the stevia. I've always used Herbal Authority brand but recently bought NuNaturals brand from GNC. I got out the bottles tonight to compare them and discovered that the GNC brand has maltodextrin in it. Herbal Authority is pure stevia, 0 carbs per 1/32 tsp. GNC is 1 carb per 1/4 tsp. I should have read the bottle before I bought it. I wonder if they will take back an unopened bottle with no receipt. I'm going to Vitamin World tomorrow to buy more pure stevia so I can make up the liquid.

Beverly
Old 10-19-2002, 04:50 AM   #6
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
lcm: Have you ever tried the one called Herba Sweet? It's made from rotten fruits(lol -ok -it just TASTES like that) but it's also very concentrated. I got a bottle of the stuff hoping to find a non-chemical alternative for son, but he couldn't stand the taste either- lol
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2002, 05:41 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

LOL! Dottie, you seem to have the worst time with sweeteners...I can still remember my reaction upon learning that Scotch was distilled over 'rotting vegetation' ;-) I've never used anything but the NOW Brand (White Powder)...was advised early on to stay away from the green herb products and Stevia blends (spoonable Stevia) and to stick with Pure Stevioside. Several posters have touted the taste of 'Wisdom of the Ancient's' brand of Stevia. Guess everyone's taste's are different, but I'm satisfied with the NOW Brand. On their bottle they state "NOW Stevia Extract is made with a high rebaudiaside content and a less bitter aftertaste...

From the book 'Sugar Free Cooking With Stevia', they recommend in their FAQ:

15. What should I look for when purchasing stevioside or stevia blends?

1. A high rebaudioside to stevioside ratio. (Companies may not have this information.)
2. A high purity percentage, preferably over 90% steviosides. (100% stevia is not the same as 100% steviosides.)
3. Always buy from a reputable company.

As I mentioned earlier, I notice no bitter taste when used in recipe's...most complaints I have seen have been with respect to other forms of stevia and when used in excessive amounts.

Hope this helps ;-)

Last edited by locarbman; 10-19-2002 at 05:44 AM..
Old 10-20-2002, 03:20 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Observation ;-)

Hi, I've been wondering why I can find no sugar / strength comparisons for specific brands of Stevia and finally realized that it's because Stevia is precluded (by the FDA) from being sold as a sweetener. Most of the references do state that Stevia is approximately 300 times sweeter than sugar.

The "Sugar Free Cooking with Stevia" cookbook (the one confiscated early on by the FDA) does state that Stevia is 250 - 300 times sweeter than sugar but then in it's sugar to Stevia Extracts Conversion Chart they list 1/16th teaspoon of powdered Stevia extract is equivalent to 2 teaspoons of sugar...a strength of Stevia at 32 times sweeter than sugar lol! It is well known that excess Stevia can cause a 'bitter' aftertaste which is what this conversion rate could cause (perhaps this is why so many report the bitter aftertaste). I'm quite comfortable using the '200 times sweeter than sugar' rate in my calculation for Liquid Stevia and have yet to experience the 'dreaded' bitter aftertaste ;-)

Has anyone given this liquid Stevia concentration a try? ;-)

Last edited by locarbman; 02-21-2003 at 05:48 PM..
Old 10-21-2002, 08:31 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

By the drop equivalency...

I thought it would be helpful to include AZjeanne's calculations for measuring liquid Splenda (Stevia ;-):

AZJeanne
Senior LCF Member

Locarbman...come inside
Hi,

I got my "polvosin" and decided not to mix it all at once like you did. After using all measurements and ratios according to your previous posts, I thought this might be useful to pass along:

I measured 1 oz. of powder and it came to 4 tablespoons. I decided to make a 2 fl. oz. batch [~1/3oz Stevia Extract powder in 2floz water] and am using my empty Stevia liquid bottle with dropper.

After dividing etc., etc., it comes out to 1/8 tsp. liquid = 16 drops. 8 drops is 1/4 cup sugar, 2 drops is 1 Tablespoon sugar and 1 drop is 1.5 teaspoons sugar.

I had 1 drop in my faux oatmeal (TVP and flax) and it was just about right. I will keep the powder and just make up a small batch at a time.

Last edited by locarbman; 10-27-2002 at 02:24 PM..
Old 10-24-2002, 10:16 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Here is a pretty good Q & A on Stevia:

http://www.healthy.net/hwlibrarybook.../questions.asp

Q) How sweet is Stevia?

A) The crude Stevia leaves and herbal powder (green) are reported to be 10-15 times sweeter than table sugar. The refined extracts of Stevia called steviosides (a white powder, 85-95% Steviosides) claim to be 200-300 times sweeter than table sugar. My experience is that the herbal powder is very sweet while the refined extract is incredibly sweet and needs to be diluted to be properly used. Both products have a slight bitter aftertaste, also characteristic of licorice.
Old 10-24-2002, 11:01 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dizneegirl
I found this nifty little sweetness comparison for a stevia extract (Sweet 'n None), and thought of you...

Sugar = Sweet 'n None

2 tsp = 1/16 tsp

1/4 c = 3/8 tsp

1/3 c = 1/2 tsp

1/2 c = 3/4 tsp

3/4 c = 1 tsp

1 c = 1 1/2 tsp

I think the site was going on the 200% sweeter than sugar theory, but I can't get back to it right now, it seems to be offline. I think this was a powdered form of the extract...

Does that seem to measure up to your findings?

And a question... do you think mixing some sucralose and stevia, and then making the liquid, would have that good mixed-sweetner effect? Maybe a way to stretch the sucralose? Or better to stick with one or the other?
Old 10-24-2002, 02:11 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks dizneegirl,

Your figures are identical to the conversion chart in the back of "Sugar Free Cooking with Stevia", however, I really question this conversion rate because it makes 1/32t Stevia Extract Powder equal to 1t sugar, or, in other words, this relationship of Stevia powder to sugar means that the Stevia Extract Powder is only 32 times sweeter than sugar.

If, as I contend, Stevia Extract Powder is really 200 times sweeter than sugar, 1t Stevia powder would equal 200t sugar...1/32t Stevia powder would be equal to 6.25t sugar, or Stevia Extract Powder is really 6.25 times sweeter than shown in your values above.

Using the above relationship can cause us to use 6.25 times too much Stevia and this may be the cause of the rather often reported 'bitter' after taste. I have no idea how they came up with this Stevia/sugar relationship and expect we will not find an explanation until the FDA finally approves the use of Stevia as a sweetening substance in foods.

Personally, I prefer to keep the liquid sucralose and liquid Stevia in separate containers to keep any confusion over the amount of each per unit of water out of the way ;-) I find it just as easy to use one or the other or a combination of both at the recipe level, realizing that each provides the equivalent of 1 cup of sugar per 1/4t of the liquid product. For example, I could use 1/8t or 16 drops of each or 1/4t of either one for the equivalent of 1 cup of sugar in my Kool-Aid...gives a lot of flexibility lol! And, allows those without a source of liquid Splenda, an equivalent alternative for converting granular Splenda in a recipe without the extra liquid involved in the use of Splenda Syrups... ;-)

I'm really hoping others will give this liquid sweetener alternative a try and test it in some of their favorite recipes to confirm (or reject ;-) my contention...

Thanks for your interest... We don't need no 'stinking badges' from the FDA to figure out an appropriate conversion rate and to benefit from the use of this 'natural' sweetener... LOL!
Old 10-25-2002, 09:57 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Liquid Stevia Pancake Syrup

Hi, I made my own Stevia sugar free pancake syrup today...taste's as good as DaVinci's ;-)

1t Liquid Stevia (= 4c sugar, 0 carbs)
1T Imitation Maple extract (3 carbs)
1/2t Imitation Butter Flavor (0 carbs)
1/4t Lemon extract (0.25 carbs)
2T Glycerine (0 carbs)
1/8t Salt (0 carbs)
1/2t Xanthan Gum (0 carbs)
25oz Water (0 carbs)

Blend ingredients with hand mixer, store in 'used' DaVinci bottle... ;-)

Nutrition Facts:
Serving size 1 teaspoon
150 servings per bottle
Calories 0
Fat 0
Carbohydrate 0
Protein 0

Of course there are at least 13 calories per bottle but the USDA does allow ME to call anything less than 0.4 carbs per serving '0' LOL!

I'm going to try making other sugar free syrup flavors using Liquid Stevia with different extract flavorings...much cheaper and a good alternative, especially for those who have difficulty finding the commercial sugar free syrups at a decent price with no s/h! What do you think??? ;-)

PS: I just tested it on a slice of my icecream gingerbread bread, toasted and slathered with butter...delicious...licked the plate ;-)

Last edited by locarbman; 04-18-2003 at 12:35 AM..
Old 10-25-2002, 08:13 PM   #14
Botox

Gallery: Botox
Locarb Man...are you sure we dint see you and your koolaide in Jonestown????
j/k! I am also a disciple of KD and Dr. B! Ty so much for your work on this post. I think it is also a matter of adjusting tastes...We now drink only Stevia as the sweetener in things like decaff and teas. I will go look at Whole Foods for the Now Brand because it sounds great! Wish we were up in Alaska with you...the fish looks so great!!! And btw, you look so healthy and happy as well! Way to go!
Old 10-26-2002, 09:24 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Peppermint Paddy Stevia sugar free syrup

Hi again ;-)

I went to the store for Peppermint Paddy DaVinci sugar free syrup to try my hand at Peppermint Paddy Fudge. I sadly found that this flavor is 'seasonal' and is only made around St. Patricks day in March. I was advised that I should have purchased more of this flavor when it was available and would now have to wait until next year...

I decided to prepare my own Peppermint Paddy syrup with liquid Stevia rather than wait ;-) Here's the recipe I came up with:

Peppermint Paddy Stevia sugar free syrup (25oz)

1t Pure Peppermint Extract (1 carb)
1/16t Pure Lemon Extract (0.06 carb)
2T Glycerin (0 carbs)
1/8t Salt (0 carbs)
5d(rops) Green Food Coloring (0 carbs)
1/4t Xanthan Gum (0 carbs)
25oz Water (0 carbs)

Will let you know how the fudge turns out LOL!

Strawberry Stevia sugar free syrup (12oz)

1/2t Liquid Stevia (= 2c sugar, 0 carbs)
2t Strawberry Extract (1 carb) (Durkee not very strong ;-)
1/16t Pure Lemon Extract (0.06 carb)
1T Glycerine (0 carbs)
1/16t Salt (0 carbs)
3d Red Food Coloring (0 carbs)
1/8t Xanthan Gum (0 carbs)
12oz Water (0 carbs)

Stored in empty 16oz glycerine bottle ;-)

Last edited by locarbman; 10-29-2002 at 09:51 AM..
Old 10-27-2002, 03:49 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

How to calculate your liquid Stevia concentration

Hi, I thought it might be helpful to show you how to calculate the amount of water to use in mixing liquid Stevia, due to the number of different brands of Stevia Extract (white powder) currently available ;-)

First, determine the strength of your extract if you can find a statement equating the amount of Stevia Extract powder to sugar. Many of the brands do not do this because of the strictures of the FDA and you may do as I have done, arbitrarily use 200 times sugar as a basis (1t. extract = 200t. sugar).

1. Now Brand bottles show no equivalence, only state that their 1oz bottle contains 1000 (1/32t) servings. I assumed a strength of 200 times sugar and will use this product in my calculations below.

2. Wisdom Sweet Leaf Stevia Extract, on an internet page lists 1/3 teaspoon of the extract can replace 1 cup of sugar. Therefore 1t. extract = 3 cups of sugar or (3X48t) 144t. sugar, a strength of 144 times sugar.

Second, divide the strength (200) by 32 (1/32 is the usual serving size) = 6.25t. sugar/serving and multiply this value by the number of servings (1000 in an ounce of Now Brand) = 6250 equivalent teaspoons of sugar in 1 oz of product.

Third, divide 6250 by 48 (the number of teaspoons of sugar in a cup) = 130.2 cups of sugar equivalent in 1 oz of Stevia Extract. This is the number of sugar servings we want to use per 1/4t. of the resulting liquid Stevia.

Fourth, divide 130.2 by 4 (the number of 1/4th teaspoons in a teaspoon) = 32.6 the number of teaspoons of liquid required.

Fifth, divide 32.6 by 3 (the number of teaspoons in 1 tablespoon) = 10.9 the number of tablespoons of liquid required.

Sixth, divide 10.9 by 2 (the number of tablespoons in 1 fluid ounce) = 5.43 The number of fluid ounces required. As there are 8 fluid ounces in a cup of liquid, this is approximately equivalent to 2/3 cup of liquid (water) in which the 1 oz of Stevia Extract Powder is to be mixed. The resulting concentration will yield the equivalent of 1 cup of sugar per 1/4 teaspoon of liquid Stevia ;-)

Using these steps you can calculate the amount of water necessary to make your own liquid Stevia starting with some indication of it's relationship to sugar...or, in the absence of any indication, using an arbitrary relationship of 200 times as sweet as sugar. Be careful to adjust for the amount of Stevia Extract Powder, if, perhaps, you are using a smaller 0.4oz bottle which is commonly sold. I personally would recommend using 2 1/2 bottles to equal a full 1 ounce under these circumstances.

I hope this is helpful for those with different strength Stevia Extract Powders...and doesn't scare you away from the possibilities of making an excellent 0 carb alternative sweetener LOL!
Old 10-27-2002, 08:31 PM   #17
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Galatea
I made a batch of liquid stevia concentrate today using a 90% powder. The powder came in a .9 oz jar. I mixed mine (before your last post, locarbman) with 4 oz water plus one tablespoon and one teaspoon of water. It tastes great. No after taste.

I made a batch of peppermint syrup, but left out the lemon extract. It was/is delicious. I also made a batch of chocolate and banana.
(I use those flavors in muffins all the time)

I was quite pleased.

I later made a batch of maple syrup, but mine did not turn out right. It tastes bad. I am not sure what the problem is with it.

I have 12 oz of liquid splenda, but know it will run out and then I won't have a new source. I am very pleased with the stevia and the calculations that you made.

Could you PM me with your online powdered stevia source? I got mine at Whole Foods and .9 oz was 13.95 (ouch, but still much cheaper than liquid Splenda)

I also got some tipped and capped squirt bottles, complete with ounce markers) at a beauty supply store for .89 a piece. Walgreens also gave me syringes for free from the pharmacy department that measure in fractions of teaspoons. I just put the syringe into the sweetner container and suck up the amount I need. NO spilling - - EVER! I love it. I have been doing that with liquid splenda for quite some time.

Last edited by Galatea; 10-27-2002 at 08:35 PM..
Galatea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 03:09 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sannr
Stats: Last time: 266/230/150; This time: 265/255/150
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Every day
Locarbman, re: Peppermint Paddy syrup: if you can't get that right now, you might try the daVinci sf creme d'menthe syrup. I used it recently to make a really yummy mint ice cream (thanks to that great ice cream thread that went around). It doesn't look as if your homemade peppermint paddy syrup had any chocolate flavoring in it, so the creme d'menthe might work (it doesn't have chocolate either).

But it sounds like your homemade syrup will do the trick, so why spend the money, right? Just fyi.
sannr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 08:56 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Galatea, thanks so much for your feedback! You have a message ;-)

Shelley, thanks for the recommendation! I do have the DaVinci Creme d'menthe syrup but am having so much fun making Stevia equivalents that I didn't even think of using it ;-) The possibility of saving so much money using Stevia syrups rather than the commercial syrups boggles the mind lol!

HAPPY LOW CARBING !!! ;-)

Last edited by locarbman; 10-28-2002 at 08:59 AM..
Old 10-30-2002, 11:29 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

In regards to the equivalency chart... I was wondering if they didn't have a bunch 'o fillers in it... that would definitely impact the measurements.

Now... can you help a math-challenged girl out? I bought the SweetLeaf Stevia extract (I went out fully intending to get the NOW brand, so I wouldn't have to do any math... but they didn't have it & I didn't feel like running to another store to look for it... so, here I am, stuck with doing math! )

Anyway... .9 oz. in the bottle. Serving size 1/40 tsp. Servings per container 1000. 1/3 tsp = 1 cup of sugar.

So... in following your math... do I have this right?

Sweetness is 144x the sweetness of sugar (as per your example )

Divide by 40 (1/40 is the serving size) = 3.6

Multiply by 1000 (number of servings in my .9 oz. jar) = 3600

Divide 3600 by 48 = 75

Divide 75 by 4 = 18.75 teaspoons of liquid

Divide by 3 = 6.25 tablespoons of liquid

Divide by 2 = 3.125 fluid ounces of liquid

So, I want to mix 3 1/8 ounces of water with my .9 ounces of stevia extract, to get my 1/4 tsp liquid stevia = 1 cup sugar, correct? I'm not actually going to mix this until you verify my math, you know...

Whew!

As my husband always tells me... "math is hard, Barbie!" I really am an intellegent person, but stick a calculator in front of me, and you might as well pass me the dunce cap!

Next time... I just buy the Now brand!
dizneegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 12:19 PM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Bless you!

As soon as I empty my very-hard-to-find bottle of vanilla DaVinci, I'm trying out the Stevia syrups, too... I picked up maple extract/flavoring and butterscotch today, and I've got tons of other flavors at home!

DH, of course, thinks I'm insane.

Now... if I get that Cuisinart ice-cream maker for my birthday or Christmas...
dizneegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 12:36 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

LOL! Just tell him that it's almost Halloween and you're just preparing a witch's brew... be sure to turn the kitchen lights down low, perhaps a few candles, when you mix it up... ;-)

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!
Old 10-30-2002, 01:29 PM   #23
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SandyJ
I am going to buy the stevia powder tomorrow. Can you give me some suggestions on how to use the liquid sweetener. How much of the regular splenda can be substituted for liquid? Is it best to only substitute in liquid recipes or can I use it in anything?
Thanks for all your research into this product.
SandyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 01:59 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Sandy,

The beauty of liquid Stevia is that it can be used in most everything without upsetting the liquid vs dry ingredient balance. I mix it with other liquids in any recipe...it doesn't really effect the liquid volume to any significant degree while Splenda syrups will cause excess liquid in most recipes.

Liquid Stevia provides a full equivalent cup of sugar per 1/4 teaspoon of the sweetener and can be used to replace all granular Splenda in most recipes for a savings of 24 carbs per cup replaced. If your recipe calls for mixing granular Splenda in liquid, you merely mix Liquid Stevia with the same liquid prior to adding dry ingredients.

Hope this helps ;-)

Just wanted to add that it's hard to talk in generalities, if you have specific recipes in mind, would be glad to give you more specific suggestions. I used to use granular Splenda in my jello, however I now use a mixture of Splenda syrup (for flavoring) and Liquid Stevia (for sweetening) as a replacement...

Last edited by locarbman; 03-09-2003 at 09:31 PM..
Old 11-03-2002, 11:14 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Sandy,

Dizneegirl sent me this recipe which looks pretty good:

Stevia recipes
Found a website with stevia recipes on it... thought you might be interested (if you hadn't already found it).

http://cookingwithstevia.com/cgi-bin/recipe/recipe.cgi

Also found a recipe for maple syrup in "The Stevia Cookbook" that look EASY...

3/4 c. filtered water
2 Tbs. plus 2 teaspoons vegetable glycerine
2 tsp. nonalcoholic maple flavoring
1/8 tsp. white stevia powder

Combine ingredients and mix well. Warm mixture in a small pan before drizzling over pancakes, waffles, or hot cereal.

-dizneegirl

My revised recipe:

1T Maple imatation extract (3 carbs)
1/2t Imitation Butter Flavor (0 carbs)
1/16t Lemon extract (0.25 carbs)
2T Glycerin (0 carbs)
1/8t Salt (0 carbs)
1/2t Xanthan Gum (0 carbs)
25oz Water (0 carbs)

Blend ingredients with hand mixer, store in 'used' DaVinci bottle... ;-)

Yes, that's it! I order glycerine on-line but also find it in my local pharmacy. Just be sure that it is 'USP' grade for use in foods. It is normally used in lotions and soaps ;-)

Good luck on your syrup!
Old 11-03-2002, 11:44 AM   #26

For the record, I remade the locarbman version of the pancake syrup, it was fine.

We discovered that the seal had screwed up on our blender and had housed a bit of the pepermint extract from another experiment. The previous batch was bad because it was laced with peppermint (bad combination) We fixed the seal and all is well.
Old 11-03-2002, 02:27 PM   #27
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SandyJ
Thanks for the info.
I was looking at some of the recipes on that site. Have you figured out a conversion from your liquid back to a powder?
I wish they would list how much sugar they are tring to replace like you do. I understand that type of substitution. It seems like every recipe will be trial and error, if every company's stevia is a different strength.

Have you tried to make any peanut butter cookies with stevia? If so, could you post the recipe.

I tried the stevia in hot choc. today. I did not notice any bad flavor. I have seen posts saying not to mix it with choc., but your liquid seems to work ok. I need to find a better recipe for hot chocolate. The one I used was like chocolate water.

I found this conversion chart after I posted.
http://cookingwithstevia.com/stevia_...ion_chart.html

Sandy

Last edited by SandyJ; 11-03-2002 at 02:59 PM..
SandyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2002, 02:54 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Why Sure! ;-)

Here are my calculations for liquid Stevia with thanks to AZJeanne for by the drop equivalents...also works for liquid Splenda... ;-)

1t. extract powder = 4.16 cups sugar (200/48) = ~1t. (my) liquid Stevia
1/2t. extract = 2 cups sugar (96 teaspoons) = 1/2t. liquid
1/4t. extract = 1 cup sugar (48 teaspoons) = 1/4t. liquid
1/8t. extract = 1/2 cup sugar (24 teaspoons) = 1/8t. liquid (16drops)
1/16t. extract = 1/4 cup sugar (12 teaspoons) = 1/16t. liquid (8drops)
1/32t. extract = 1/8 cup sugar (6 teaspoons) = 1/32t. liquid (4drops)
.................................................( 1 tablespoon) = 2 drops
.................................................( 1 1/2 teaspoons) = 1 drop

You will note that since the powder and the liquid are both the same strength (200 times sugar) their measure for equivalent amounts of sugar are the same...we made them that way...pretty nifty? ;-) You are right about the problem in using recipe amounts which might use different strengths, however, I wouldn't worry too much as I'm sure that they have taste tested their recipe's prior to publishing and they really should already be pretty well adjusted for taste (I hope ;-)

Here tis... ;-)

Real Peanut Butter Cookies (isomalt)...
Posted by locarbman ;-) on Mon, 6 Mar 2000 15:57:15

Adapted from "Betty Crocker" using Grace WI's LC Bread flour and isomalt. Makes 5 dozen 3" dia. cookies at 1.5g carb per cookie.
1 cup (2 sticks) butter (0 carbs)
1 cup GrandmaKate's No-sugar Sweetener (isomalt - 0 carbs)[now use 1c xylitol=1.5c sugar - 0 carbs]
1 cup brown Sugar Twin (0 carbs)
1 cup peanut butter (Adams Crunchy - 32 carbs)
2 eggs (Jumbo - 2 carbs)
1 tsp. Vanilla extract (.5 carbs)[now use homemade bean/vodka extract - 0 carbs]
1 cup vital wheat gluten (Bob's Red Mill - 24 carbs)[replace with 1/2c wheat protein isolate - 0.38 carbs]
1/2 cup oat flour (Bob's Red Mill - 24 carbs)[replace with 1 cup almond flour - 8 carbs]
1/2 cup vanilla protein powder (Optimum - 4 carbs)
1/2 cup ground flax seed (Dakota Flax Gold - 0.7 carbs)
2 tsp. baking soda (0 carbs)
1/2 tsp. salt (0 carbs)
Cream butter, isomalt[xylitol], brown sugar twin, eggs and vanilla. Stir in peanut butter. Sift dry ingredients, stir into creamed mixture. Drop by rounded teaspoons on ungreased cooky sheet. Press with back of floured fork to make crosscross. Bake in moderate oven (350 degrees) about 10-15 minutes. Makes about 60 (5 dozen) cookies. Total carbs 87.2[47.1] / batch or 1.45[0.78] / cookie. Store unused batter in the fridge for later use. I love them plain, or add a drop of Cool Whip or strawberry flavored cream cheese. Enjoy! ;-)

I personally recommend using a sugar alcohol (xylitol, maltitol, or diabetisweet) to replace the sugar when baking because it performs just like sugar (as in creaming with butter for cookies). I don't usually find a need for stevia in my cookies, unless i feel their sweetness needs to be enhanced... I really like to add a cup of sugar free chocolate chips to mine ;-)

As for chocolate, I get mine with a shot of DaVinci's syrup along with the cream in my coffee lol! Hope this helps ;-)

PS: Your Stevia/Sugar conversion chart uses 1t. stevia (Steviosides) = 3/4c. sugar (36t.) This means that they equate Steviosides to only 36 times as sweet as sugar...still way too low according to my contention that Steviosides are 200 times as sweet as sugar. I would be careful not to use too much Steviosides because of a possible bitter taste... ;-)

Last edited by locarbman; 08-22-2003 at 11:55 PM..
Old 11-03-2002, 02:55 PM   #29

These are like peanut butter short bread cookies. They are good and delicate.

1 C. 100% natural peanut butter (no sugar) room temp
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp Stevia Liquid (per locarbman directions where 1/4 tsp = 1 C. Sugar)

beat together in mixer

form into little balls press into a small cookie shape. Place on a lightly greased cookie sheet. These cookies will not rise or spred so what you see is what you get. I take the tines of a fork and make a criss cross pattern on them

bake at 350 until browned. watch the bottoms, they can burn easily. Let cool. they freeze well.
Old 11-03-2002, 05:59 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Oh Noooooo!

I just thought about making Kool-Aid Stevia Sugar Free Syrups...for use in ice cream???

LOL!!! ;-)

Sandy, the recipe's on dizneegirl's site use a 'stevia blend' which refers to a product derived from mixing stevia extract with erythritol (a sugar alcohol) that is not the same strength as what we are using, pure stevia extract. The conversion chart shows that 1t. stevia blend is equal to 4 teaspoons of sugar. This equivalence (4 times sugar) may help in making a conversion to sugar for the recipe and then to our liquid stevia extract for substitution, however, I don't recommend this approach in baked goods as the sugar alcohol also provides substance to the product that would be missing. We can make a stevia blend with pure stevia extract and a sugar alcohol, for direct substitution... I'll think about it... Then you could use it in these recipe's as written. I'll bet our mixture would be a lot cheaper and work just as well ;-)

Last edited by locarbman; 11-04-2002 at 08:01 PM..