Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2011, 08:35 AM   #181
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for sharing your tips and tricks. Jeezes LoCarbMan..you rock!
iheartcookiecrumbs is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2011, 11:12 PM   #182
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sherrymyra
Glad I found this. I was wondering how to make liquid stevia from powder. I have been using the liquid but it is so expensive.
sherrymyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:43 AM   #183
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
I buy the stevia/erythritol blend from a company called Steviva. I've also bought the white powdered extract and I found this information on their website:

What if Need Liquid Stevia?
When you buy liquid stevia you are buying mostly water. There is only about fifty cents worth of stevia powder in liquid stevia. Why would you pay $10.00 for 50 cents worth of stevia? We do not sell liquid form because we feel it is not fair to our customers and we don’t want to use any stabilizing additives to make it. But, it is very easy to make yourself and we are going to show you how with the following recipe for liquid stevia.

Instructions:
Mix one part Steviva Brands stevia powder with four parts warm water.
Optional: 1 drop of grape seed extract (possesses antibacterial, antiviral, and anti-fungal properties that will preserve the liquid)
Mix well until all the stevia powder is dissolved.
Put into a small glass dropper bottle and refrigerate.

I've made this and it works great. The first time I made it I didn't have the grape seed extract and one bottle I kept in the fridge was fine and I'm still using it but the other bottle I kept in my desk at work and it developed the weird floating stuff in it so I dumped it. I ordered a bottle of the grape seed extract and just made me a new bottle to keep in my desk and so far no floaters
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:26 PM   #184
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Thanks for that info Pam. But as usual, I'm confused. (This making the liquid has kept me confused.)
If I wanted to make up a full 1 oz of powder into liquid, it was be simple for me, as locarbman has explained that quite well. But me & math do not get a long well!
He has tried several times to give us directions and amounts for smaller amounts, but I still get confused. I only want to make up a very small amount of liquid at one time. It gets too expensive throwing it out, and I've found a small amount lasts quite a while on my counter,,,, sometimes. I have some now that needs to be thrown out. I don't want to make up 4 oz of liquid (or whatever his recipe for the 1 oz pwd makes) and try to keep it in the fridge.
As far as your recipe goes, I'm not sure what 1 part pwd to 4 parts water comes out to. How much pwd is that to say 4 oz water. Pwd & water do not measure out the same! And..... I don't know what the strength to that is. I actually think, (and this is a big assumption) that it is the same ratio as locarman's. Think it is 1 oz (dry weight) pwd & 4 oz water. But I'm not sure.
I have made up liquid stevia in the past, but I now have no idea what amounts I used.
Locarbman has been so very helpful, he has really really tried, and some have "gotten" it. But then too, some don't mind making up larger amounts than what I want to make. And even some have understood the smaller amount equations, but I just go dumb when it comes to the mathematics.
Next question..... Is the grape seed extract the same as grape seed oil (which I have on hand)? Or is that possibly different? I thought of grape seed oil when I first read your post.

OH, and I was just reading my post below. I DO now have scales which I could use to weigh the pwd.

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:36 PM   #185
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I used 1 tablespoon powder to 4 tablespoons distilled water and added a couple drops of grape seed extract.

Grape seed extract is not the same as grape seed oil. I bought mine off Ebay, I think it came from Vitaminlife.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:07 PM   #186
Major LCF Poster!

OK thanks!! I decided the grape seed extract was probably different. (I have the poweder in capsules. )

So what do you think the sweetening equivalent of a drop of this is? Any idea?
Old 11-14-2011, 01:45 PM   #187
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have no idea what the sweetening equivalent is. I only use the liquid stevia to sweeten tea or other drinks to taste, I rarely use it in cooking. I always use the white powder in recipes.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:24 PM   #188
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: locarbman
Stats: 289/180/185
WOE: Atkins/Maintenance
Start Date: September 1998
PaminKY,

I have no idea what the sweetening equivalent is. I only use the liquid stevia to sweeten tea or other drinks to taste, I rarely use it in cooking. I always use the white powder in recipes.

From Post # 45 Page 2 of this thread, assuming a strength of 200 times sugar for Stevia powder:

"To mix smaller amounts, ie: 1tsp of stevia powder, you divide 200 by 48 to equal 4.2 equivalent cups of sugar per teaspoon of stevia powder. This requires 4.2 1/4tsp water or ~1tsp water per 1tsp of stevia powder to achieve the desired concentration of 1/4t of the mixture = the sweetness of 1 cup of sugar..."

Your 1 tablespoon Stevia powder mixed with 4 tablespoons water, would (in my opinion ;-) equal 1 cup sugar equivalence per teaspoon of solution.

crazywoman-in-wy,

You might consider using Vegetable Glycerine (a natural preservative with antibacterial properties) that does not require refrigeration instead of water for your solution rather than adding grape seed extract to a water solution...has worked for me over extended periods with no problems.

Since my Now Brand Stevia Extract = 9.5 teaspoons per ounce, I would add 9.5 teaspoons water (or NOW Vegetable Glycerine, available from Netrition) to approximate the strength of Sweetzefree liquid Sucralose for which they claim "1 drop = 1 rounded teaspoon sugar".

Hope this helps...locarbman ;-)

Last edited by locarbman; 11-14-2011 at 08:47 PM..
locarbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:27 PM   #189
Major LCF Poster!

Locarbman, I thought her solution sounded pretty weak!

I do have the Now vegetable glycerine. I could do that. So lookinng at your last paragraph above, are you saying it would be an equal amount, ie 1 tps stevia pwd / 1 tsp water or glycerineto eaqual the strength of Sweetzfree? Sorry to be so dense. I keep reading things wrong, and getting it mixxed up in my head. (dyslexia is the pits to say the least!)
Will this same equation work for sucralose, or s it different? Can you use the glycerin with sucralose? Have you tried that?
Will it work half water/half glyceride? Do you know?
Thank you for being so patient with me! Your a sweetie!
Old 11-15-2011, 03:46 PM   #190
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy View Post
Locarbman, I thought her solution sounded pretty weak!

I do have the Now vegetable glycerine. I could do that. So lookinng at your last paragraph above, are you saying it would be an equal amount, ie 1 tps stevia pwd / 1 tsp water or glycerineto eaqual the strength of Sweetzfree? Sorry to be so dense. I keep reading things wrong, and getting it mixxed up in my head. (dyslexia is the pits to say the least!)
Will this same equation work for sucralose, or s it different? Can you use the glycerin with sucralose? Have you tried that?
Thank you for being so patient with me! Your a sweetie!
are you saying it would be an equal amount, ie 1 tps stevia pwd / 1 tsp water or glycerineto eaqual the strength of Sweetzfree?

Yes, they all produce 1 cup of sugar equivalence per 1/4 teaspoon solution... ;-)

Will this same equation work for sucralose, or s it different?

No, Sucralose is much stronger (600 times sugar compared to Stevia at 200 times sugar).

Per my chart for mixing teaspoon amounts of Sucralose powder and water in post #29, Page #1 of this thread:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...sucralose.html

1 teaspoon Sucralose powder requires 1.6 teaspoons water. (based upon gram weight of Sucralose powder and calculations for a 26%wv solution (Sweetzefree equivalent solution)

Can you use the glycerin with sucralose? Have you tried that?

I found that when I mixed 2 ounces Quick Sweet Sucralose powder in 1 cup less 2 teaspoons Vegetable Glycerine, the powder did not fully dissolve, however, the solution is still satisfactory (to me ;-). Sucralose powder did dissolve fully when mixed in water...

Yes, although I have not tried this, I think using all Vegetable Glycerine is a safer bet for long term storage without refrigeration.

Happy Sweetening... ;-)

Last edited by locarbman; 11-15-2011 at 03:51 PM..
Old 11-15-2011, 05:36 PM   #191
Major LCF Poster!

Thank You, thank you, thank you, locarbman!!! I think I've finally got it!!! Thank you for your help to a l of us, and thank you for your patience (tho we or should I say I) am probably wearing it pretty thin!

I won't be mixing either up by just a teaspoon amount, but I think I can use those numbers better than others I've tried! Those I think I can convert as need as I decide how much I want to make up.

Please excuse all the extra letters in the words in the post before. I'm bad enough on my own to misspell or typo, but this keyboard is having fits! You wouldn't believe how many times I've had to go back & correct just in this post. I'm afraid I missed some of them in the other one.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:59 PM   #192
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: marduk1015
liquid splenda concentrate

I have bulk powder for sucralose and ace k. If I cut the amount of the stevia to 1/3 with the sucralose will it be the same sweetness as the stevia since it is 3 times sweeter. Also, can I use the stevia recipe for the ace k to make concentrated ace k?
marduk1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:59 AM   #193
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
locarbman is the one you need to answer this question.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:00 AM   #194
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jessiemms
lowcarbman if you are still out there could you please help me.

I bought stevia powder and want to make the liquid.

It says it is 250 times stronger than sugar.. but a serving size is only 1 g. which equals .035 oz. which would mean an ounce would only have 28-29 servings?

Does this make since? I am very confused.. it should be closer to that of the NOW brand shouldn't it? It is stronger, but yet it has less servings??

Any help would be appreciated!!
jessiemms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:20 AM   #195
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: soon
Stats: restart 07
WOE: whatever works
Isnt truvia the same as stevia and it tastes really good?
soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:18 AM   #196
Junior LCF Member

Okay.. let's see if I figured this out...

You said 250 times the sugar.. using that in my calculation.

I weighed my stevia, about 7 tablespoons=1oz

7T x 3t = 21t x 32 (1/32 teaspoons)= 672 servings in 1 oz.

divide strength 250 by 32 = 7.8125 (sugar per serving) x 672 (servings in ounce)=
5250 equivalent teaspoons of sugar in 1 oz of product.

divide 5250 by 48 (number of teaspoons in a cup= 109.375 cups of sugar equiavalent in 1 oz stevia.

Divide 109.375 by 4 = 27.343 the number of teaspoons of liquid required.

Divide 27.343 by 3 = 9.115 the number of tablespoons of liquid required.

Divide 9.115 by 2 = 4.56 the number of fluid ounces required. so... I need 9/16 cup of water.(1/2c + 1/16c)

Did I do this right??
Old 05-19-2012, 08:42 AM   #197
Junior LCF Member

I think truvia is made of part of the stevia leaf plus a sugar alcohol and natural flavors.. that is for the tabletop formulation. I do not know about other formulations they have.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:23 PM   #198
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiemms View Post
lowcarbman if you are still out there could you please help me.

I bought stevia powder and want to make the liquid.

It says it is 250 times stronger than sugar.. but a serving size is only 1 g. which equals .035 oz. which would mean an ounce would only have 28-29 servings?

Does this make since? I am very confused.. it should be closer to that of the NOW brand shouldn't it? It is stronger, but yet it has less servings??

Any help would be appreciated!!
Hi Jessie,

Glad to help if I can. It would be a real help if you could give me the brand name of your Stevia product...if there is one... ;-) My last ounce of NOW Stevia measured only 9.5 teaspoons per ounce and your measure of 21 teaspoons per ounce of your product seems a bit high to me.

A strength of 250 times sugar is acceptable as most references do rate Stevia extract powders at 200 to 300 times sugar.

Both grams and ounces may be either weight or volume measures which causes some confusion as products usually equate serving size to a volume measure and indicate the number of servings per ounce of product. (ie: NOW brand initially indicated a serving size of 1000 1/32teaspoons per ounce...which proved incorrect ;-)

I will wait for your response before making any further 'guesses' ;-)

Welcome to our board...locarbman ;-)

PS: I hope your product is a pure Stevia white extract powder... ;-)

Last edited by locarbman; 05-19-2012 at 05:39 PM..
Old 11-28-2012, 12:53 PM   #199
Major LCF Poster!

The ‘easiest’ way to mix Stevia Extract Powder solutions! ;-)
  • First - Determine the volume of solution you wish to prepare.
  • Second - Calculate the number of 1/2 teaspoons in this amount of solution.
  • Third - Use the powder/sugar equivalence chart below to determine the teaspoons of powder necessary to provide the number of cups sugar equivalence that equal the number of 1/2 teaspoons in the amount of solution you wish to prepare.
  • Fourth - liquid may be ‘hot’ water or ‘cool’ Vegetable Glycerine. Water solutions require refrigeration. Vegetable Glycerine (a natural preservative with anti-bacterial properties) solutions do not require refrigeration. ;-)
Teaspoons Stevia Extract Powder = Cups Sugar Equivalence:
Tsps...................Cups (Assumed strength 250 times sugar)
1oz....................49.48 (9.5 teaspoons per ounce)
1T......................15.63
1t.........................5.21
1/2t.......................2.6
1/4t (Tad)…….....1.3
1/8t (Dash)...........0.65
1/16t (Pinch)…....0.33
1/32t (Smidgen....0.16
1/64t (Drop).........0.08
1/128t...................0.04
1/256t...................0.02
1/512t...................0.01

As there are 84 (˝ teaspoons) in 7 fluid ounces of my Vegetable Glycerine solution (7floz * 2Tablespoons * 3teaspoons * 2(˝ teaspoons)), and I desire a solution that will provide 1 cup sugar equivalence per ˝ teaspoon of solution, I used 5 Tablespoons + 1 teaspoon Stevia Extract Powder (equals 83.34 cups sugar equivalence per the above chart) with 7 fluid ounces ‘cool’ Vegetable Glycerine for a solution strength of 96 times sugar, ˝ teaspoon solution = 1 cup sugar equivalence.

Note: Stevia Extract Powder will not dissolve into the small amount of solute necessary to achieve 1/4t solution equal to 1 cup sugar equivalence (similar to liquid Sucralose or liquid Neotame)...I now purchase the 1 pound NOW brand Stevia Extract powder to allow making up larger volumes of solution ;-)

Hope this helps, easy math! locarbman… ;-)
Old 11-30-2012, 04:03 PM   #200
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: spoiltmomof2
Stats: 230/180/138
WOE: Lap Band/LC
Im going to try this! Thanks locarbman!
spoiltmomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:24 PM   #201
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Nanatobe1
Canning with Stevia

Has anyone canned jams with Stevia?

Last edited by Nanatobe1; 08-12-2013 at 02:25 PM.. Reason: Misspelled a word "with"
Nanatobe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:41 PM   #202
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanatobe1 View Post
Has anyone canned jams with Stevia?
Hi Nanatobe ;-)

You may find posts #'s 42, 48 and 56 page 2 of this thread helpful...also post # 62 page 3 for homemade jellies ;-)

Glad to help if you have further questions!

locarbman... ;-)