Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2009, 07:26 PM   #151
Major LCF Poster!
 
locarbman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Spokane, Washington
Posts: 1,594
Gallery: locarbman
Stats: 289/180/185
WOE: Atkins/Maintenance
Start Date: September 1998
Update...

For mixing a 1 ounce container of NOW Brand Stevia Extract powder, I add 36ml (236.6ml/6.6oz) water into the container and shake. This results in a little more than half container full of Stevia solution (1/4t = 1c sugar).

My Medicine Shoppe Pharmacy gave me a plastic Monoject 60cc(ml) Catheter Tip Syringe that is also available online for $1.25…it works quite well for accurately measuring smaller amounts of water for my Sucralose and Stevia solutions… ;-)

I must express my shock and chagrin at having used NOW Brands volume measure in my original calculations and finding them inaccurate...will be using weight measures from now on...my apologies to all...
locarbman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2009, 11:30 AM   #152
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 57
Gallery: orelz
the syrups recipe wont work without the glycerine stuff? we dont have it in here..
orelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 03:12 PM   #153
Major LCF Poster!
 
locarbman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Spokane, Washington
Posts: 1,594
Gallery: locarbman
Stats: 289/180/185
WOE: Atkins/Maintenance
Start Date: September 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by orelz View Post
the syrups recipe wont work without the glycerine stuff? we dont have it in here..
These syrup recipes will work without Vegetable Glycerine... ;-)

Glycerine merely adds a bit of sweetness (75% as sweet as sugar), adds to a smoother texture, and aids in prolonging shelf life (a bit longer than using only water) all for 0 carbs ;-). At the time of my original post, Torani SF Syrups were using a Glycerine base for their SF syrups, however, in about 2004 they changed to a water base with preservatives also used in DaVinci Syrups. You may 'tinker' with the ingredients until you achieve a satisfactory taste and texture... I have since dealt with the shelf life problem by making up syrups in smaller quantities which may be more quickly used and require only refrigeration...

Hope this helps...
locarbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:24 PM   #154
Senior LCF Member
 
zomzom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 97
Gallery: zomzom
locarbman - I just wanted to take this opportunity of thanking you for starting this thread and sharing your experiments. Your syrup recipe has definitely helped me tremendously and I've thoroughly enjoyed the end product.
zomzom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:06 PM   #155
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 57
Gallery: orelz
Quote:
Originally Posted by locarbman View Post
These syrup recipes will work without Vegetable Glycerine... ;-)

Glycerine merely adds a bit of sweetness (75% as sweet as sugar), adds to a smoother texture, and aids in prolonging shelf life (a bit longer than using only water) all for 0 carbs ;-). At the time of my original post, Torani SF Syrups were using a Glycerine base for their SF syrups, however, in about 2004 they changed to a water base with preservatives also used in DaVinci Syrups. You may 'tinker' with the ingredients until you achieve a satisfactory taste and texture... I have since dealt with the shelf life problem by making up syrups in smaller quantities which may be more quickly used and require only refrigeration...

Hope this helps...
thanxs, and, i thoguht to sry low calories chocolate syrup? maybe you have expirement with it? (i want something like walden-farms basiclly) maybe you have recipe for it?
orelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:59 PM   #156
Major LCF Poster!
 
locarbman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Spokane, Washington
Posts: 1,594
Gallery: locarbman
Stats: 289/180/185
WOE: Atkins/Maintenance
Start Date: September 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by orelz View Post
thanxs, and, i thoguht to sry low calories chocolate syrup? maybe you have expirement with it? (i want something like walden-farms basiclly) maybe you have recipe for it?
LOL! No, I haven't tried making chocolate syrup...purchased a case of Walden Farms Calorie Free Chocolate Syrup several years ago...have about 1/2 case left... ;-) I use it occasionally on my homemade Vanilla Bean Ice Cream for a special treat...

Their Ingredients are:Triple Filtered Purified Water, Defatted Cocoa Powder, Maltodextrin, Caramel Color, Natural Flavor, Salt, Food Starch Modified, Xanthan Gum, Sucralose, Potassium Sorbate (To Preserve Freshness), Polysorbate 60, Vanilla and Citric Acid. Apparently, using a serving size of 2 tablespoons allows them to claim 'calorie free'...but I have my suspicions... ;-)

I would probably try:

1/4t Liquid Stevia (= 1c sugar, 0 carbs)
1/4t Liquid Splenda (= 1c sugar for sweetening synergy, 0 carbs)
6t Droste Cacao (Imported from Holland, Dutch processed with Alkali for a less bitter chocolate, 12 carbs)
1t of one of LorAnn Oil Chocolate Flavorings (Canadian Maple, Washington Cherry, Irish Cream, Creamy Hazelnut, Nutty Amaretto or Royal Raspberry 1 carb)
2T [COLOR=#016798]Glycerin[/COLOR] (0 carbs)
1/8t Salt (0 carbs)
?t [COLOR=#016798]Xanthan Gum[/COLOR] (to reach desired consistancy, 0 carbs)
12oz Water (0 carbs)

Good Luck!

Last edited by locarbman; 06-03-2009 at 11:10 PM..
locarbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 01:36 AM   #157
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 57
Gallery: orelz
Quote:
Originally Posted by locarbman View Post
LOL! No, I haven't tried making chocolate syrup...purchased a case of Walden Farms Calorie Free Chocolate Syrup several years ago...have about 1/2 case left... ;-) I use it occasionally on my homemade Vanilla Bean Ice Cream for a special treat...

Their Ingredients are:Triple Filtered Purified Water, Defatted Cocoa Powder, Maltodextrin, Caramel Color, Natural Flavor, Salt, Food Starch Modified, Xanthan Gum, Sucralose, Potassium Sorbate (To Preserve Freshness), Polysorbate 60, Vanilla and Citric Acid. Apparently, using a serving size of 2 tablespoons allows them to claim 'calorie free'...but I have my suspicions... ;-)

I would probably try:

1/4t Liquid Stevia (= 1c sugar, 0 carbs)
1/4t Liquid Splenda (= 1c sugar for sweetening synergy, 0 carbs)
6t Droste Cacao (Imported from Holland, Dutch processed with Alkali for a less bitter chocolate, 12 carbs)
1t of one of LorAnn Oil Chocolate Flavorings (Canadian Maple, Washington Cherry, Irish Cream, Creamy Hazelnut, Nutty Amaretto or Royal Raspberry 1 carb)
2T [COLOR=#016798]Glycerin[/COLOR] (0 carbs)
1/8t Salt (0 carbs)
?t [COLOR=#016798]Xanthan Gum[/COLOR] (to reach desired consistancy, 0 carbs)
12oz Water (0 carbs)

Good Luck!
hmm thanxs, also, i not have stevia, i have only liquid splenda, you think it may work with it only? oh, and i not have the xanthan, i have the guar, its basiclly the same no?

Last edited by orelz; 06-04-2009 at 01:38 AM..
orelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:04 PM   #158
Major LCF Poster!
 
locarbman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Spokane, Washington
Posts: 1,594
Gallery: locarbman
Stats: 289/180/185
WOE: Atkins/Maintenance
Start Date: September 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by orelz View Post
hmm thanxs, also, i not have stevia, i have only liquid splenda, you think it may work with it only? oh, and i not have the xanthan, i have the guar, its basiclly the same no?
I would think that any sweetener would work, I just find that a combination of sweeteners seems to have a more sugary taste ;-) I have not used guar gum but why don't you give it a try and let us know how it turns out...trial and error, trial and success... ;-)
locarbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:50 PM   #159
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 57
Gallery: orelz
Quote:
Originally Posted by locarbman View Post
I would think that any sweetener would work, I just find that a combination of sweeteners seems to have a more sugary taste ;-) I have not used guar gum but why don't you give it a try and let us know how it turns out...trial and error, trial and success... ;-)
and how you make it? just blend all in blender or you need to bring to boil or something?
orelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:39 AM   #160
Major LCF Poster!
 
locarbman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Spokane, Washington
Posts: 1,594
Gallery: locarbman
Stats: 289/180/185
WOE: Atkins/Maintenance
Start Date: September 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by orelz View Post
and how you make it? just blend all in blender or you need to bring to boil or something?
LOL! Yes, I use a hand mixer to blend all ingredients...then pour into a storage bottle and refrigerate...you can also add a few drops of food coloring to make it pretty... ;-)
locarbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 03:58 AM   #161
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 57
Gallery: orelz
Quote:
Originally Posted by locarbman View Post
LOL! Yes, I use a hand mixer to blend all ingredients...then pour into a storage bottle and refrigerate...you can also add a few drops of food coloring to make it pretty... ;-)
oh boy locarbman you are the man! i just made it and its came out from fridge amazing, taste its identical to walden farms syrup.
here whats i did:
took 220ml water, 1tbsp flat strong coffe, splenda liquid sweetner,1\2 tsp guar gum, 1 heaped heaped tea spoon cocoa-powder,1tbsp vanilla extract - i mixed all in shake blender(the big one), and pour into bottle and put in fridge, today i ate it with my pancakes and its was damn amazing. thanxs alot!
exactly like walden-farms, even better! now no need to spend lots of money.
oh, lowcarbman- maybe you have ideas how can i get walden-farms blueberry\strawberry syrup similiar recipe? thanxs!
orelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 04:57 AM   #162
Major LCF Poster!
 
locarbman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Spokane, Washington
Posts: 1,594
Gallery: locarbman
Stats: 289/180/185
WOE: Atkins/Maintenance
Start Date: September 1998
In the interest of clarity, I have reproduced Post #16 (10/27/2002) with my revised calculations (5/25/2009)…was advised that my recent post #150 was a bit confusing ;-)…changes highlighted…


Post #16 revised calculations:

How to calculate your liquid Stevia concentration

Hi, I thought it might be helpful to show you how to calculate the amount of water to use in mixing liquid stevia, due to the number of different brands of Stevia Extract (white powder) currently available ;-)

First, determine the strength of your extract if you can find a statement equating the amount of Stevia Extract powder to sugar. Many of the brands do not do this because of the strictures of the FDA and you may do as I have done, arbitrarily use 200 times sugar as a basis (1t. extract = 200t. sugar).

1. Now Brand bottles show no equivalence, only state that their 1oz bottle contains 1000 (1/32t) servings. CORRECTION: Physical measurement of their 1oz bottle yields 9.5 teaspoons for only 304 (9.5 * 32) (not 1000) 1/32t servings! I assumed a strength of 200 times sugar and will use this product in my calculations below.

2. Wisdom Sweet Leaf Stevia Extract, on an internet page lists 1/3 teaspoon of the extract can replace 1 cup of sugar. Therefore 1t. extract = 3 cups of sugar or (3X48t) 144t. sugar, a strength of 144 times sugar.

Second, divide the strength (200) by 32 (1/32 is the usual serving size) = 6.25t. sugar/serving and multiply this value by the number of servings (304 in an ounce of Now Brand) = 1900 equivalent teaspoons of sugar in 1 oz of product.

Third, divide 1900 by 48 (the number of teaspoons of sugar in a cup) = ~40 cups of sugar equivalent in 1 oz of Stevia Extract. This is the number of sugar servings we want to use per 1/4t. of the resulting liquid Stevia.

Fourth, divide 40 by 4 (the number of 1/4th teaspoons in a teaspoon) = 10 the number of teaspoons of liquid required.

Fifth, divide 10 by 3 (the number of teaspoons in 1 tablespoon) = 3 1/3 the number of tablespoons of liquid required.

Sixth, divide 3 1/3 by 2 (the number of tablespoons in 1 fluid ounce) = 1 2/3 the number of fluid ounces required. As there are 8 fluid ounces in a cup of liquid, this is approximately equivalent to ¼ cup of liquid (water) in which the 1 oz of Stevia Extract Powder is to be mixed. The resulting concentration will yield the equivalent of 1 cup of sugar per 1/4 teaspoon of liquid Stevia ;-)

Using these steps you can calculate the amount of water necessary to make your own liquid Stevia starting with some indication of it's relationship to sugar...or, in the absence of any indication, using an arbitrary relationship of 200 times as sweet as sugar. Be careful to adjust for the amount of Stevia Extract Powder, if, perhaps, you are using a smaller 0.4oz bottle which is commonly sold. I personally would recommend using 2 1/2 bottles to equal a full 1 ounce under these circumstances.

I hope this is helpful for those with different strength Stevia Extract Powders...and doesn't scare you away from the possibility of making an excellent 0 carb alternative sweetener LOL!
locarbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 05:12 PM   #163
Major LCF Poster!
 
jenna...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sunny SoCal
Posts: 2,017
Gallery: jenna...
WOE: VLCarb
Thank you from a Stevia fan.
jenna... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 05:09 AM   #164
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 585
Gallery: Nikki2777
Thank you!! I've read it all ( 6 pages) and that is a lot of information on liquid stevia.

For years I have been using Liquid Stevia (Sweet Leaf) and have been completely satisfied with it. BUT, it is expensive. So, today I'm going out to buy the NOW (powder) brand and will try making it.

Nikki
Nikki2777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 05:56 AM   #165
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Panhandle
Posts: 5
Gallery: luvmyJz
Stats: 190/190/140
WOE: My own
Start Date: June 2007
Ok Mr. Carbman I have been reading your posts for a year now, and I think you are awesome. I have never posted here, this is my first time. I more of a listener than a talker. Now I have a question I hope you can help me with. I use alot of liquid stevia, so I have bought the NOW 1lb (454g) container I mixed it with 40 ounces of liquid to get 48 ounces total at 1cup=1/2 teaspoon. I get your pretty good with math, does this measurement sound about right? I thank you for any help. You are such a blessing to the posts.
luvmyJz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:20 AM   #166
Major LCF Poster!
 
crazywoman-n-wy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: WY
Posts: 2,474
Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
I bought a "jar" of KAL brand pure stevia powder the other day. That's what they had locally, and I wasn't ready to order from anywhere.
I've seen that some people use it, but I've never seen anyone say what the conversion rate is. I'd like to know if any of you use it to make the liquid stevia, and if so, the conversion you use to get the 1/4 tsp = 1 cup. (I'd actually only like to make up a small bottle at a time too.) I would also like to know the conversion for the powder to 1 cup.
I also sometimes use SweetLeaf pure stevia pwd. I've still never been able to figure the conversion on it. (I have it at home, but am away from home presently, living in an RV.)
__________________
Billie

***********
For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
***
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 02:14 PM   #167
Major LCF Poster!
 
locarbman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Spokane, Washington
Posts: 1,594
Gallery: locarbman
Stats: 289/180/185
WOE: Atkins/Maintenance
Start Date: September 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyJz View Post
Ok Mr. Carbman I have been reading your posts for a year now, and I think you are awesome. I have never posted here, this is my first time. I more of a listener than a talker. Now I have a question I hope you can help me with. I use alot of liquid stevia, so I have bought the NOW 1lb (454g) container I mixed it with 40 ounces of liquid to get 48 ounces total at 1cup=1/2 teaspoon. I get your pretty good with math, does this measurement sound about right? I thank you for any help. You are such a blessing to the posts.
Hi luvmyJz welcome aboard!

Here goes… ;-)

I - Given: 1lb (= 16oz) NOW Brand Stevia Extract Powder.

Find: How many cups of liquid are required to achieve a solution where ½ teaspoon will equal 1 cup sugar equivalence?

Using the steps in Post #162, I get:

Step 1) Assuming a strength of 200 times sugar, 1 teaspoon NOW Brand Stevia Extract Powder is equal to 1900 teaspoons of sugar equivalence (per calculations in Post #162)

Step 2) 16oz Stevia = 30,400 teaspoons (16 * 1900) sugar equivalence

Step 3) 30,400t Stevia = 633 1/3 cups (30400 / 48) sugar equivalence

Step 4) 633 1/3c / 2 (the number of ½ teaspoons in a teaspoon) = 316 2/3 teaspoons water required

Step 5) 316 2/3t / 3 (the number of teaspoons in a tablespoon) = 105.6 tablespoons water required

Step 6) 105.6 / 2 (the number of tablespoons in 1 fluid ounce = 52.8 fluid ounces water required

Step 7) 52.8floz / 8 (the number of fluid ounces in a cup) = 6.6 cups water required

Conclusion: You should mix 1lb NOW Brand Stevia Extract Powder in 6.6 cups of water to achieve a solution where ½ teaspoon of solution will equal 1 cup of sugar equivalence.

I would add 1 2/3 cups of water to your solution if you want it to provide 1 cup sugar equivalence per ½ teaspoon solution…

II - Given: 40floz (5 cups) Water.

Find: How many ounces of NOW Brand Stevia Extract Powder are required to achieve a solution where ½ teaspoon will equal 1 cup sugar equivalence?

Using the steps in Post #162 (in reverse ;-), I get:

Step 7) 5c * 8 = 40floz
Step 6) 40floz * 2 = 80T
Step 5) 80T * 3 = 240t
Step 4) 240t *2 = 480½c sugar equivalence
Step 3) 480½c * 48 = 23040t sugar equivalence
Step 2) 23040t / 1900t/oz = ~12oz

Conclusion: You should mix 12oz NOW Brand Stevia Extract Powder in 5 cups of water to achieve a solution where ½ teaspoon will equal 1 cup of sugar.

In the future, I would mix only 12 ounces of Stevia to 5 cups of water if this is the volume of solution you wish to make where ½ teaspoon solution will equal 1 cup sugar equivalence…

hope this helps…awesome??? LOL! Thanks ;-)

Last edited by locarbman; 07-20-2009 at 02:35 PM..
locarbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 03:05 PM   #168
Major LCF Poster!
 
locarbman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Spokane, Washington
Posts: 1,594
Gallery: locarbman
Stats: 289/180/185
WOE: Atkins/Maintenance
Start Date: September 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy View Post
I bought a "jar" of KAL brand pure stevia powder the other day. That's what they had locally, and I wasn't ready to order from anywhere.
I've seen that some people use it, but I've never seen anyone say what the conversion rate is. I'd like to know if any of you use it to make the liquid stevia, and if so, the conversion you use to get the 1/4 tsp = 1 cup. (I'd actually only like to make up a small bottle at a time too.) I would also like to know the conversion for the powder to 1 cup.
I also sometimes use SweetLeaf pure stevia pwd. I've still never been able to figure the conversion on it. (I have it at home, but am away from home presently, living in an RV.)
Hi Billie,

Since none of the Stevia producers seem inclined to declare the ‘strength’ of their creations, I’ve been assuming an arbitrarily low value of 200 times sugar for all of them. Per this site:

HealthWorld OnLine - Page Not found - HealthWorld Online

Q) How sweet is Stevia?

A) The crude Stevia leaves and herbal powder (green) are reported to be 10-15 times sweeter than table sugar. The refined extracts of Stevia called steviosides (a white powder, 85-95% Steviosides) claim to be 200-300 times sweeter than table sugar. My experience is that the herbal powder is very sweet while the refined extract is incredibly sweet and needs to be diluted to be properly used. Both products have a slight bitter aftertaste, also characteristic of licorice.

LOL, the above, 2002, reference no longer exists...you may however be interested in this reference for SweetLeaf Stevia - Sugar Equivalencies showing that 1/3t to 1/2t SweetLeaf Stevia will equal 1 cup of sugar:

Stevia - Naturally Sweet - Recipes, Cooking Tips, Articles, and leading Stevia Products

In Post #28 (Page 1 of this thread) I have calculated the conversion for powder and liquid Stevia based upon an assumed strength of 200 times sugar…1/4t powder or 1/4t homemade liquid Stevia = 1 cup sugar equivalence…I use this same conversion rate for all brands until credible strength comparisons become available…not holding my breath… ;-)

If you tell me how much solution you wish to make, I’ll be happy to tell you how much powder to use… ;-)

Last edited by locarbman; 07-20-2009 at 03:32 PM..
locarbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 03:15 PM   #169
Major LCF Poster!
 
crazywoman-n-wy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: WY
Posts: 2,474
Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Thanks Locarbman!!!!
My head spins when I try to get thru all the math on those posts. Not mathematically inclined.

I would like to make up about 1 once at a time. I did make some up the other day trying to use your (or someone on here) conversion rate. I think I used 6 tsp & 1 oz water. I have no idea what strength it is.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 04:12 PM   #170
Major LCF Poster!
 
locarbman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Spokane, Washington
Posts: 1,594
Gallery: locarbman
Stats: 289/180/185
WOE: Atkins/Maintenance
Start Date: September 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy View Post
Thanks Locarbman!!!!
My head spins when I try to get thru all the math on those posts. Not mathematically inclined.

I would like to make up about 1 once at a time. I did make some up the other day trying to use your (or someone on here) conversion rate. I think I used 6 tsp & 1 oz water. I have no idea what strength it is.
Math is fun ;-)

Per post #151 page 6: I calculated that 36 milliliters of water added to the 1 ounce container of Stevia powder would yield a solution where 1/4t solution = 1 cup sugar equivalence. Per the volume conversion chart 36 milliliter = 7.3 Teaspoons, so, you are pretty close using 6 teaspoons which should make your solution just a bit sweeter...hope this helps ;-)
locarbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 04:46 PM   #171
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Panhandle
Posts: 5
Gallery: luvmyJz
Stats: 190/190/140
WOE: My own
Start Date: June 2007
Locarbman,
Wow this all makes my head spin too!!! I don't remember how I came up with those measurements,(forgot where I placed my worksheet), but I do remembr that I came up with 20 oz of liquid for 1/4 tsp=1cup , so I doubled the liquid to make it 40oz and instead of dividing the 1/4 tsp. I multiplied it by 2 (40/20=2) I guess my blonde is coming through!!! So if I rounded the 6.6 up to sevn just say for the sake of keeping it easy;-) Do you think it would be destinguishable in recipes??? I am dying to try some of your syrups. Again thanks youre great.
p.s I check Now Foods website regularly, do you think they will ever publish equivalences??
luvmyJz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:11 PM   #172
Major LCF Poster!
 
locarbman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Spokane, Washington
Posts: 1,594
Gallery: locarbman
Stats: 289/180/185
WOE: Atkins/Maintenance
Start Date: September 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyJz View Post
Locarbman,
Wow this all makes my head spin too!!! I don't remember how I came up with those measurements,(forgot where I placed my worksheet), but I do remembr that I came up with 20 oz of liquid for 1/4 tsp=1cup , so I doubled the liquid to make it 40oz and instead of dividing the 1/4 tsp. I multiplied it by 2 (40/20=2) I guess my blonde is coming through!!! So if I rounded the 6.6 up to sevn just say for the sake of keeping it easy;-) Do you think it would be destinguishable in recipes??? I am dying to try some of your syrups. Again thanks youre great.
p.s I check Now Foods website regularly, do you think they will ever publish equivalences??
LOL! Rounding up from 6.6c to 7c water would make the solution ~6% less sweet (.4 / 7). I'd personally go for 6 1/2c water...to make it just a tad sweeter... ;-) Well, as for publishing equivalencies, I've been waiting for over 7 years now, but, Stevia has only recently been granted GRAS status (Generally Regarded as Safe) by the FDA...we'll see... ;-)
locarbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:06 AM   #173
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 585
Gallery: Nikki2777
A question to anyone... What kind of water do you use? Kitchen tap water or distilled water.

Nikki
Nikki2777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:14 AM   #174
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Panhandle
Posts: 5
Gallery: luvmyJz
Stats: 190/190/140
WOE: My own
Start Date: June 2007
Distilled Water

Nikki
I use distilled water. but I also add an amount of grain alcohol to make a 15% solution. I do this as a preservative because I mix such a large amount, I don't want it to spoil. One brand of (I think NOW) liquid I have bought in the past has 19% and another 11%, so I figured somwhere in between, and I haven't had any problems with the solution going bad, or an effect in my blood sugars, although some may.
luvmyJz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:03 AM   #175
Major LCF Poster!
 
crazywoman-n-wy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: WY
Posts: 2,474
Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by locarbman View Post
Math is fun ;-)

Per post #151 page 6: I calculated that 36 milliliters of water added to the 1 ounce container of Stevia powder would yield a solution where 1/4t solution = 1 cup sugar equivalence. Per the volume conversion chart 36 milliliter = 7.3 Teaspoons, so, you are pretty close using 6 teaspoons which should make your solution just a bit sweeter...hope this helps ;-)
Thanks Locarbman!!! You are so nice to do this for us!!!!!

At least I was close. LOL I was actually afraid I might be on the less sweet side. But I think that is because I thought I had read somewhere that the KAL might be a little less "strong" (not as sweet per gm). And I may have had that backwards! If I notice that I think it is a little too sweet, I'll up the water a tad. At least to the 7 tsp maybe. Again, Thank you SO much!

Nikki, I used distilled. Figures there is less chance of imputities, better taste, and it might keep longer. (As far as taste goes tho, my water here isn't too bad, and my water at home is great.)
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:09 PM   #176
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
mac24312's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Far SW Virginia
Posts: 3,563
Gallery: mac24312
Stats: 250/130/140
WOE: Stella Style/My OWN LC WOL ;]/Maintenance
Start Date: October 07 2006 Over 6 years on Atkins ;]
LCF

Do you make Liquid Splenda as well out of the pure sucrose powder? I want to try to make both..

TY!
mac24312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:56 PM   #177
Major LCF Poster!
 
locarbman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Spokane, Washington
Posts: 1,594
Gallery: locarbman
Stats: 289/180/185
WOE: Atkins/Maintenance
Start Date: September 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac24312 View Post
LCF

Do you make Liquid Splenda as well out of the pure sucrose powder? I want to try to make both..

TY!
You Bet!!! ;-)

You may find this thread helpful:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...d-splenda.html

Here is a copy of Post #125, Page 5...cleaned up a bit... ;-)

For those interested in the convenience of ‘accurately’ mixing Liquid Sucralose, without the fuss of weighing to the nearest 100th of a gram or using approximate volume conversions, I would like to suggest you mix a 2 oz, pre measured, packet of Quick Sweet Sucralose Powder (available on-line) in 1 cup less 2t water… ;-)

How much water do we need to mix with 2oz (56.7g) Sucralose powder?

A 25%w/v (weight/volume) Liquid Sucralose concentration requires 25g Sucralose powder mixed in 100 ml water.

Using a ratio: 25g is to 100ml water as 56.7g is to Xml water; cross multiplying we get X = 56.7*100/25; X = 226.8ml water

Using the Online Volume Conversion site:

226.8 milliter = 0.96 cups
1c - 0.96c = 0.04c
0.04c = 2t

Therefore 1c less 2t water mixed with a 2oz container of Quick Sweet Sucralose powder will yield a concentration of 25% w/v Liquid Sucralose at a strength of 192 times sugar where 1/4t = 1c sugar equivalence.

===============

I find that a mixture of 1/2 Liquid Stevia with 1/2 Liquid Sucralose (Splenda) makes an excellent, synergistic substitute for sugar in recipes... ;-)

Last edited by locarbman; 07-21-2009 at 10:13 PM..
locarbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 01:06 AM   #178
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 585
Gallery: Nikki2777
Thanks for the response about the water. I'm going with distilled.

BTW, I wanted to ask this question yesterday and deleted it before sending my water question 'cause I thought you all would laugh me off this board.....

Do you all use regular measuring cups (pyrex 1 cup measure) and regular kitchen baking/measuring spoons. Or rather, can I use a regular measuring cup and ordinary measuring spoons?

Thanks again,
Nikki
Nikki2777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 05:48 AM   #179
Major LCF Poster!
 
crazywoman-n-wy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: WY
Posts: 2,474
Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki2777 View Post
Thanks for the response about the water. I'm going with distilled.

BTW, I wanted to ask this question yesterday and deleted it before sending my water question 'cause I thought you all would laugh me off this board.....

Do you all use regular measuring cups (pyrex 1 cup measure) and regular kitchen baking/measuring spoons. Or rather, can I use a regular measuring cup and ordinary measuring spoons?

Thanks again,
Nikki
Nikki, Not a silly question at all. You will get different answers from different people. I for one (at least right now) don't have scales to use, so I have to use regular measuring cup & spoons. This sometimes gets to be a problem for me, in that sometimes the measurements given here are in weights, and makes for an even harder conversion for me. That's one of the reason I keep askin' conversion questions.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:39 AM   #180
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 57
Gallery: orelz
any recipes to jam\spreads but without pecatin? i have only guar gum, extracts, stevia, and alot of ingredients, but not pecatin S: i want it to be low in calories
orelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:18 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.