Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2003, 01:32 PM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: supportinghubby
OK now where do i find this ... man i have to reread this three more times befor i understand this post fully. oh my i am over whelmed now . Going to go watch some TV ...lol

Any help on where to find it would be wonderfull thanks
supportinghubby is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2003, 05:02 AM   #62
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: locarbman
Stats: 289/180/185
WOE: Atkins/Maintenance
Start Date: September 1998
Zero Carb Jelly ;-)

Hi again ;-)

I've made some specialty jellies using liquid stevia sugar free syrups (also works with Atkins, Torani. DaVinci, etc.)

1c Liquid Stevia Sugar Free Syrup (0 carbs)
1t Calcium Water (0 carbs)
1.5t Pomona's Universal Pectin (0 carbs)

Bring syrup and calcium water to boil, remove from heat, add pectin, blend with stick mixer (or in blender), return to boil. Pour into 1 cup Kerr jelly jar, screw on two piece lid, place in pot with water to cover, boil for 5 minutes plus 1 minute for every 1000 feet above sea level. Cool, check lids for seal (should be 'sucked down'), refrigerate until set. I made mint jelly using liquid stevia peppermint paddy sugar free syrup and blackberry jelly using DaVinci Blackberry sugar free syrup. Both are excellent. With all of the sugar free flavors available in syrup form there are amazing possibilities for truly zero carb jellies...;-)

PS: Just made Smores jelly (1/2c DaVinci Chocolate and 1/2c DaVinci Toasted Marshmallow Sugar Free Syrups) and chocolate peanut butter jelly (1/2c DaVinci Chocolate and 1/2c DaVinci Peanut Butter Sugar Free Syrups)... ;-0

PPS: If you are not satisfied with the taste, you can melt the jelly by placing the jar in boiling water, add additional flavor, sweetener, or other ingredients and reset the jelly in your refrigerator...;-)

Last edited by locarbman; 02-09-2003 at 07:24 AM..
locarbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 12:02 AM   #63
thinthinker

Gallery: thinthinker
Hi! I just found yall over here and talk abt timing! I was going to go in that coop to buy the liquid splenda but the $90 was killing me this month, so I thought that I would give this a shot first.

Is there a thread that one of you wouldn't mind sharing on how to make ones own syrups, like french vanilla or any non koolaid type recipes? Thanks so much!
Old 02-17-2003, 10:12 AM   #64
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sferrojr
Lorann Oils

Locarbmna, I noticed you posted the link to the Loran site a little while back and I was wondering how much you use, on average, to make a stevia Syrup. I've got a few flavors, but I know they are VERY potent and I'm always afraid of overdoing it.

Thanks for all your great Stevia Advice!!
sferrojr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 11:00 AM   #65
Major LCF Poster!

sferrojr, LOL! I have used from a few drops to a full teaspoon, depending upon the strength of the flavor and the volume of liquid I am using. I pretty much make up each syrup fresh and in the amount I that I want for each recipe. You need to go pretty much by taste for each flavor and for each recipe. I keep ordering new flavors...21 so far and find uses for different flavors in most every recipe...I'm now playing with the chocolate flavorings in chocolate mousse and in my chocolate pie...I like my flavors rather strong and am very happy with them! ;-)

thinthinker, I find liquid Stevia an excellent replacement for liquid Splenda. Most of the information for making up syrups is contained in this thread. You need to experiment with the ingredients to find the mix that works best for you...LorAnn has french vanilla flavoring...;-)
Old 02-18-2003, 08:00 AM   #66
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: low-carb-dad
LorAnn Flavoring Oils

Locarbman,

Have you every used the lorann oil honey flavor for anything? I am looking for a honey additive for a honey mustard sauce.

any help would be appreciated.
low-carb-dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 09:01 AM   #67
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Low-carb-dad,

I have been adding a teaspoonful to my bread recipe...so far ;-) I will probably try Steel's maltitol honey for a honey mustard because it is so thick and sweet, but, the LorAnn honey flavoring with glycerin (a thick sweetener) would probably work too. let us know how it turns out...I plan to make a sweet hot mustard dip for use with sliced Yangtzee BBQ Pork that I just discovered in our grocery deli section... ;-)
Old 02-21-2003, 08:59 AM   #68
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sferrojr
Thanks Locarbman!!!

My NOW breand Stevia arived today. I mixed as per your eccomendation and am right now enjoying my first glass of my old favorite Tropical Punch Kool Aid, with 0 Carbs! Even though I don't count it towards my water intake, after 7 weeks drinking nothign but water it is quite a refreshing change!Your recipe worked prefectly and now I dont have to worry about those pesky fillers.
sferrojr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 09:04 AM   #69
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maven98
Hey Locarbman

What the heck is calcium water? I've never heard of it.

Melanie
maven98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 10:15 AM   #70
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Melanie,

The dry calcium comes in a small packet with Pomona's Universal Pectin...you mix in water and keep in the refrigerator until you're ready to make your jam or jelly. It's function is described in the sugar free jam post above... ;-)

PS: This is the substance that allows the pectin to gel without sugar.

Last edited by locarbman; 02-22-2003 at 10:25 AM..
Old 02-28-2003, 11:58 AM   #71
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Bfranke
Stats: 177.5/139.5/117.5
WOE: Modified Atkins/Exercise
Start Date: 12/26/05
"baked coconut 'ice cream sweet bread'"

Where will I find this recipe? It sounds mighty good!!
Thanks,
Bette
Bfranke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 12:18 PM   #72
Major LCF Poster!

Ice Cream 'Sweet' Bread Low Carb Bread Machine Recipe

Hi Bette,

Liquid:
1c Heavy Cream (6.6 carbs)
1c Stevia, DaVinci or Torani Sugar Free Syrup (0 carbs)
2T Glycerine (0 carbs)
2T Lecithin Granules (1 carb)
6T Butter (0 carbs)
1/2t Salt (0 carbs)
1T Sugar (consumed by yeast 0 carbs)

1/2t Xanthan Gum (0 carbs)

Dry:
1c Oat Flour (48 carbs)
1c Almond Flour (7.5 carbs)
2c Protein Powder (I use Protein Factory Whey, vanilla, stevia 5.2 carbs)

1T Bread Machine Yeast (Rapid Rise, 0 carbs)

Directions:
Heat liquid ingredients (except xanthan gum) over low heat, stirring until butter melts, use hand mixer to blend in xanthan gum and pour into bread machine. Mix flour with protein powder and add to bread machine. Add yeast. Use sweet bread/medium crust, large loaf setting.

I used DaVinci Coconut Syrup plus the equivalent of 2 cups of liquid stevia, and then added 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut during the mixing cycle... ;-)

Last edited by locarbman; 03-09-2003 at 08:40 PM..
Old 03-04-2003, 02:23 PM   #73
Major LCF Poster!

Stevia sweetened Chocolate Candy ;-)

Twokitty wrote:
"locarbman Haven't yet tried the stevia yet but if you tell me it sweetens chocolate better than the alternatives it will be worth trying. I haven't been satisfied with any of the commercial chocolate candies, need something closer to the dark chocolate Hershey bar (with almonds of course). Just a bit of something really good once in a while would be ever so nice."

Well, here is my recipe for making an equivalent Hershey's Almond Chocolate Bar, sweetened with Stevia...only 3 carbs (from chocolate, vanilla flavoring and nuts) Hope you like it... ;-)

Stevia Sweetened ‘Solid’ Chocolate Candy:

Improved recipe 6/21/03, makes 2 chocolate bars ;-)

3oz Cocoa Butter (0 carbs)
1 oz Hershey's Unsweetened Baking Chocolate (4 net carbs)
1/2t Stevia Extract Powder (=2c sugar, 0 carbs)
2t Vanilla Powder (Cook's or Nielsen-Massey, 1 carb)
1t Liquid Lecithin/Olive Oil mixture (0 carbs)
2T Almonds (chopped or slivered, 1 carb)

Easy step by step:

1. Weigh cocoa butter, microwave in 2 cup plastic measuring cup until melted (use least amount of time/heat necessary to melt).

2. Mix powdered ingredients with liquid lecithin/olive oil mixture (2:1 lecithin to oil, use just enough to make a 'dry' paste).

3. Add baking chocolate to melted cocoa butter...helps cool the cocoa butter while melting...adding now keeps the chocolate from being burned in the microwave.

4. Add paste to cocoa butter/chocolate mixture (further cools the cocoa butter), whisk until well mixed (no lumps ;-)

5. Pour into 2 rubber soap dish molds (the kind with 1/4" raised ridges across the bottom), sprinkle nuts (use a fork to sink them into the chocolate ;-) let rest 30 minutes, refrigerate, enjoy...

More chocolate recipes at:

http://www.low-carb-friends.com/bbs/...896#post967896

3/25/03 UPDATE:

I have found that it is possible to replace the unsweetened baking chocolate with a high quality Dutch cocoa powder processed, with alkali, added to the other powdered ingredients that will mix well with cocoa butter for a less bitter chocolate. And, a teaspoon or two of cream powder will make for a lighter chocolate.

Last edited by locarbman; 06-23-2003 at 12:11 AM..
Old 03-04-2003, 06:43 PM   #74
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sdbeeme
Stats: 250/up one, down one/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Re-committed 8/04
shelf life???

LoCarbMan.....how long do you think the liquid Stevia mixture would last?? Would you keep in the fridge?? Thanks!!
sdbeeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 07:03 PM   #75
Major LCF Poster!

sdbeeme, it lasts quite well in the refrigerator...2/3 cup doesn't take up much room. I'm on my second batch since starting this thread and have had absolutely no problems... ;-)
Old 03-18-2003, 02:30 PM   #76
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: monicat
locarbman: syrup help?

Couple of questions:
1) If I don't have Lorann oils and want to make your orange syrup, could orange extract be used? If so, based on some of your other syrup recipes, I'm thinking about 1 tsp. Eh?
2) I tried making some syrup and mixed the xantham gum in about 4 oz of the water (made a "gel" texture), then poured it in. Now, I have a clear liquid with 1 1/2" of gel just sitting on top. I've never claimed to be a good cook, but this is really making me feel inadequate.

Thank you for your help.
monicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 02:48 PM   #77
Major LCF Poster!

LOL! I use a stick mixer to blend my xanthan gum into the syrup after adding all other ingredients...never a problem with separation. Extracts work fine...try the 1 teaspoon amount, and, if necessary, add more until you like the taste. I added up to 2 teaspoons of Durkey Strawberry extract (to make 12oz syrup) before I was satisfied...hope this helps ;-)

Last edited by locarbman; 03-20-2003 at 11:27 PM..
Old 03-24-2003, 07:54 PM   #78
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Twokitty
locarbman

Wow, just noticed you made my dark chocolate ( I hadn't kept up with this thread recently) --time to open the Stevia in the cupboard! Thanks so much!! A little yum once in a while is a treat.
Twokitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 03:18 PM   #79
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: smasty
Hi Locarbman!!!

Just wanted to thank you for this wonderful thread. I'm a body builder on the BFL board, though I'm not low carbing anymore, I decided that for me to meet my goals, I finally had to break the back on my sweet tooth. That meant giving up not only sugar, but all artificial sweeteners too. Your liquid spenda idea has saved me!!! Tomorrow is my 6 week anniversary of giving up all sugar and artificial sweeteners, and I've lost 9 pounds since doing that! I rarely eat sweets anymore, but when I do it's homemade wholegrain muffins made w/ the liquid stevia. I also enjoy it in my fake coffee every morning (Inka). This has saved me! My sweet tooth monster is locked in his cage!

Sue
smasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 10:00 AM   #80
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dominique
Good Morning LCM~

It's definately better to make into liquid prior to trying to use stevia. It's just impossible to mix in the powder to a recipe and not expect to get a powerful taste every now and again.

I use the stevia clear liquid which I buy at hi-health for 9.00. It lasts a llllooooonnnnngggg time *LOL.

I use it to sweeten my cheesecakes, puddings, koolaid, yogurts, and will 1/2 recipes that call for a sweetener.

I really like it. Plus, i know it's natural and not chemically played with. That kind of bothers me a bit. Plus it's LOTTTTSS cheaper than trying to fiddle with liquid splenda.

Lemme see..100.00 for the liquid splenda or 9.00 for stevia *LOL. I think i'll work with the stevia. Thanks for figuring with this LCM, I cant wait to try your 'potions' *LOL

Dom
dominique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 09:06 AM   #81
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mozomom
Locarb man...you are a genius.....I just stumbled upon this thread and rushed right out and purchse the now powdered stevia. I have been drooling over some of the recipes that call for liquid splenda and now hopefully i have a great alternative (that I can afford). I'm anxious to hear what some of you that have used liquid splenda and now are trying the liquied stevia find the comparison to be.
I am dying for a macademia nut cookie......has anyone conccoted a recipe that that. I am not a good cook so I have to rely on what others create. I have purchased some of the wheat protein isolate....so hopefully some one can come up with something to use the wheat protein and stevia to make a macademia nut cookie.....anyone????
mozomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 02:38 AM   #82
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KC21
KAL brand

KAL brand of Stevia does not have the licorace taste
KC21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 08:57 AM   #83
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bab1075
I have the small bottle of Liquid Stevia that looks like a Visine bottle. Can I use this in Beachgirls Cheesecake Recipe and if so how much?
Bab1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 09:47 AM   #84
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Barb,

I personally don't use the commercial liquid stevia (containing alcohol)...am not sure about it's strength. However, I have used 'homemade' liquid stevia in Beachgirls White Chocolate Marbled Pumpkin Cheesecake using 1/2t liquid stevia (=2 cups sugar to replace 1 cup Splenda...like mine a bit sweeter ;-) and found that it worked very well...

Last edited by locarbman; 05-12-2003 at 10:26 AM..
Old 05-14-2003, 07:46 AM   #85
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MusicMom

I am relatively new to this WOE & my husband is also doing this. I really need to make some good stuff in order to keep him on it. Just about everything we've tried, he has completely poo-pooed. I have some good sounding recipes that use liquid splenda. Problem is that I can't find liquid splenda or stevia extract powder to make the liquid splenda substitute. I live in the boonies, so practically nothing is available locally, but I can't even find this stuff online. Any suggestions? (A recent post said that KAL brand has no licorice taste. This would be preferable because I HATE licorice.)
143/118/115
MusicMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 08:02 PM   #86
Major LCF Poster!

Hi, thought I'd add my liquid stevia pudding recipes... ;-)

CHOCOLATE PUDDING:

2c Heavy Whipping Cream (13.2 carbs)
1c Torani Sugar Free Syrup (chocolate flavor, 0 carbs)
1t Vanilla Extract (1 carb)
3c Equivalent sweetener of choice (Liquid Stevia = 0 carbs ;-)
4 sq. Hershey's Unsweetened Baking Chocolate (foilwrap=2sq., 8 carbs)
3T Lecithin Granules (1.5 carbs)
1/4t Xanthan Gum (0 carbs)
1/16t Salt (0 carbs)

Heat chocolate and cream…the chocolate melts in the warming cream but doesn’t really mix up till I use a hand mixer. Add remaining ingredients with a hand mixer, chill in refrigerator, 3.5 cups, 23.7 total carbs, no aspartame... ;-)

VANILLA PUDDING:

1c Sugar Free Syrup (Vanilla flavor*, 0 carbs)
3c Equivalent sweetener of choice (Liquid Stevia = 0 carbs ;-)
2oz Cocoa Butter (0 carbs)
3T Lecithin Granules** (1.5 carbs)
1/16t Salt (0 carbs)

Heat cocoa butter and cream (I zapped the cocoa butter for 1.5 minutes in the microwave and added to warming cream), add remaining ingredients with a hand mixer, chill in refrigerator, 3.5 cups, 14.7 total carbs, no aspartame... ;-)

*Any sugar free syrup flavor can be used...

**3 heaping tablespoons granules = 3 level tablespoons fine ground = 2 tablespoons liquid lecithin

PS: I added 1 teaspoon of my homemade vanilla bean/vodka extract for more flavor...0 carbs. These puddings will make great fillings for cream pies... (key lime, coconut, banana...;-)

Here's one using Flavorings and Food Coloring (no DaVinci's ;-)

BUTTERSCOTCH PUDDING:

1c Water (0 carbs)
1/4t LorAnn Butterscotch Flavoring (0 carbs)
Food Coloring for Orange Color:
4d(rops) Red food coloring (0 carbs)
6d Yellow Food coloring (0 carbs)
4c Equivalent sweetener of choice (Liquid Stevia = 0 carbs ;-)
2oz Cocoa Butter (0 carbs)
3T Lecithin Granules (1.5 carbs)
1/16t Salt (0 carbs)

Heat cocoa butter and cream (I zapped the cocoa butter for 1.5 minutes in the microwave and added to warming cream), add remaining ingredients with a hand mixer, chill in refrigerator, 3.5 cups, 14.7 total carbs.
Old 08-23-2003, 01:06 AM   #87
Major LCF Poster!

Commercial Sugar Free Syrup sweetened with Stevia ;-)

LOL! An interesting development...finally, a flavoring company has developed a sugar free chocolate syrup sweetened with Stevia...why, we've been doing this for almost a year now... ;-)

Thanks for the heads-up SleuthFan...

Stevia-Sweetened, Sweet Chocolate Syrup $7.99

Available Options:
Sizes: 12 fl. oz. ($7.99) 1 qt. ($9.99)

A Rich, Chocolate Experience! We've perfected the chocolate flavor in sugar-free form! This sweet, velvet liquid can easily work as a flavored syrup or a topping, so don't hesitate to try this Stevia-sweetened wonder out today!

Enjoy the sugar-free, calorie-free, and carbohydrate-free taste of this Stevia-sweetened syrup on just about anything you can think of! Use it to make great, flavored snow cones, drinks, foods, and more!

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size 3.5 oz.
Amount Per Serving: %DV*
Calories 0 g 0%
Fat 0 g 0%
Sugar 0 g 0%
Carbohydrates 0 g 0%
Protein 0 g 0%
* Percent U.S. Daily Value for adults and children 4 or more years of age.

Has the FDA finally approved Stevia as a sweetening substance in foods???

Per this news article 2/15/2000:
Marketing with a wink

Companies that sell stevia extract and powder in health food stores face a delicate situation. They can market it as a dietary supplement but can't state its most obvious appeal without breaking the law.

Stevia is "very, very sweet. But if we say that, we get into trouble," says Warren Sablosky, president of NuNaturals Inc. of Eugene, Ore.

The firm's literature describes stevia extract as delicious and suggests adding it to beverages, foods and sprinkling it on cereal -- as a dietary supplement, of course.

Current Legal Regulations Regarding the Use of Stevia
FDA/U.S. Regulations
http://www.trutinadulcem.com/stevia_update.htm

"In the United States, any consumable food or drink that contains Stevia is considered "adulterated." According to the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act of 1994 (revised April 2000), Section 402 (a) (2) (c), Section 409 and 21 CFR 170 and 21 CFR 189-1, Stevia is a substance "Prohibited from use in human food." Per 21 CFR 190, Stevia may be sold in the United States as a stand-alone "dietary supplement" or an herb, but not as a sweetener."

Last edited by locarbman; 08-23-2003 at 02:02 AM..
Old 08-24-2003, 04:28 PM   #88
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jewel1
Stats: 215/155/150
Hi Locarbman...I need your help!

I went and bought some Stevia from the only store I could find it in. It is Stevita Stevia Supreme, which doesn't give an equivalence to sugar. It says it's 96% stevia and apparently, the rest is Erythritol.

It says serving size is 1/3 teaspoon, with 150 servings in the 5.4 oz bottle.

I'm very confused....can you help me with calculating how much water to add to this product? I want to start using it right away!

Thanks!!

--Julie
jewel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 04:45 PM   #89
Major LCF Poster!

Sorry, Jewel, this product is not a pure stevia extract...it is a stevia blend (spoonable stevia)...probably 4 times the strength of sugar. Pure stevia extracts are 200 times the strength of sugar...better keep looking for the real thing... ;-(

STEVITA STEVIA SUPREME starts with the highest premium quality ORGANIC stevia extract available, which is 96% pure steviosides with over 30% Rebaudiosides. Next Stevita blends in erythritol, a natural crystal granulated filler from fruits and vegetables. Unlike other fillers, it is easily digested, dissolves quickly, is safe for diabetics, promotes healthy teeth, and has no calories or carbohydrates per serving. Each jar contains 5.4 oz. & 150 Servings Ingredients: Stevia Extract and Erythritol.
Old 08-24-2003, 04:51 PM   #90
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jewel1
Stats: 215/155/150
Darn!!

It was fairly expensive...so now I'm not sure whether to open it and give it a try at 4x sugar strength...or whether to return it and keep looking.

The only other one I've found locally was +fiber.

There is a Whole Foods a few towns away. I guess I'll check there or order online. If I have to order online, which brand do you recommend?

Thanks for your help!
jewel1 is offline   Reply With Quote