Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2002, 08:09 PM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: locarbman
Stats: 289/180/185
WOE: Atkins/Maintenance
Start Date: September 1998
LCF Stevia Blend ;-)

Here it is...;-) Low Carb Friends Stevia Blend! To make 2 cups of stevia extract / maltitol blend, we start with 2 cups (96t) of maltitol which equals 86.4t sugar equivalence (90% as sweet as sugar), costing $8.00. We want a blend that equals 4 X 96t or 384t sugar (the desired strength of the blend at 4 times sugar). We add 297.6 (384 - 86.4) sugar equivalents of stevia extract powder, which at a strength of 200 times sugar, requires ~1 1/2t stevia powder extract (costing $0.25). Mix it up real well with a whisk and voila, 2 cups of LCF Stevia Blend which is 4 times the strength of sugar, costs $8.25 and will work in all of the recipe's at the above referenced site ;-) Yawn!...time to go to bed ;-)

PS: Erythritol (70% as sweet as sugar) is available from Beyond A Century for $6.00/pound. If you wish to use this (highly recommended, no laxative effect ;-) sugar alcohol to make an exact duplication of the referenced commercial stevia blend, you should mix 2 cups of erythritol with 316.8 (384 - 67.2) teaspoons of stevia/sugar equivalence, or ~1 3/4t NOW Brand Stevia Extract, and mix as above. Stevita charges $22.95 for 16 oz of this erythritol/stevia extract blend which only costs $6.25 to make your own... ;-)

Last edited by locarbman; 12-28-2002 at 03:10 AM..
locarbman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2002, 03:59 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gettingsmaller
locarbman, I use Kool Aid all the time to make syrups and they are really good. Place 2 cups of water in a pan and bring to a boil. Put 1 pkg Kool Aid in blender along with 2-3 cups of sugar substitute and 1 tsp of guar gum. Add boiling water and blend for a couple of minutes. If you want a richer syrup, boil a cup of fruit with 1 1/2 cups of water for 15 minutes. Strain and add water to the berry juice to make 1 cup of liquid. Substitute this for 1 cup of water in the Kool Aid recipe and proceed as above. Let the syrup sit for an hour or so until the foam can be scooped of and pour it into your syrup jars. By using the Kool Aid, you are putting in the citric acid and other preservatives in the syrup, so it stays fresh longer.
gettingsmaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 05:40 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brennyS
Could you make jellies and jams maybe?Make them more concentrated and use pectin? What cha think Locarbman?
brennyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 02:47 PM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

gettingsmaller, thanks so much for the Kool-Aid Syrup recipe...I'll give it a try!!!

brennyS, great idea...I used to make some great raspberry jam prior to locarbing. This certainly sounds doable and really deserves a try!!! A good recipe, using a sugar alcohol like xylitol, maltitol, or Diabetisweet, (stevia blend would be too sweet at 4 times sugar ;-) to replace the sugar...should work very well!!! Of course, now I'll have to wait till next summer for my raspberry bushes to produce again lol!

Dizneegirl, I'm also constantly amazed at the brilliance of the 'real' cooks on this board...I'm just a microwave cowboy ;-)

Last edited by locarbman; 11-06-2002 at 08:03 PM..
Old 11-07-2002, 03:11 PM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

LOL, Pauline, I've just checked my low carb sweetener arsenal. I have:

Stevia Extract ('natural sweetener' white powder, 200 times as sweet as sugar)
Stevia Packets (equal to 2t sugar, <1 carb per pkt)
Liquid Stevia (homemade, stevia extract mixed in water, 200 times as sweet as sugar)
Stevia Blend (homemade, stevia extract mixed with maltitol 4 times as sweet as sugar)
Stevia/flavoring Syrups (homemade)
Diet Ice Botanical/stevia syrups (homemade)
Kool-Aid/stevia syrups (soon to be homemade ;-)
Glycerine (sugar alcohol family 75% as sweet as sugar)
Granular Splenda (sucralose and maltodextrin as sweet as sugar)
Splenda Packets (sucralose, maltodextrin and dextrose, equal to 2t sugar, <1 carb per pkt)
Pure liquid Splenda (homemade, powdered sucralose mixed in water, 200 times as sweet as sugar)
Pure Sucralose powder (600 times as sweet as sugar)
Isomalt (sugar alcohol 50% as sweet as sugar, laxative effect ;-)
Diabetisweet (sugar alcohol isomalt with acesulfameK as sweet as sugar, laxative effect ;-)
Maltitol crystals (sugar alcohol 90% as sweet as sugar, laxative effect ;-)
Powdered maltitol (ditto)
Brown sugar maltitol (ditto)
Maltitol honey (ditto)
Maltitol vanilla syrup (ditto, good replacement for corn syrup)
Xylitol (sugar alcohol 150% as sweet as sugar, no laxative effect)
Erythritol (sugar alcohol 70% as sweet as sugar, no laxative effect)
Brown Sugar Twin (Saccharin, as sweet as sugar)
DaVinci Splenda Syrups (water based about 25 flavors ;-)
Torani Splenda Syrups (glycerine based about 10 flavors)
Sugar (for the yeast in my breads, as sweet as sugar ;-)

Out of all of these, I opt for 1/16t stevia extract plus a splash of my favorite DaVinci (hazelnut, irish cream, chocolate) syrup in my 16oz mug of coffee... ;-)

Last edited by locarbman; 01-15-2003 at 02:24 AM..
Old 12-06-2002, 10:41 AM   #36
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
locarbman.
I have STEVIA PLUS FIBERin the cupboard from a previous purchase . i didn't like it.
Do you think i could us this to make your blend of liquid .

INGREDIENTS: frutafit inulin fiber(fos),stevia extract (standardized to a minimum of 90% stevosides , including 60% rebaudioside A.

SERVING SIZE=1/2 packet. calories less than 1,total carbs less than 1(Is THAT BECAUSE OF THE FIBER?????),sugars less than 1,protein less than 1 gm, frutafit inulin fiber(FOS) 475 mg,stevia leaf extract 25mg
If so how much of the packets do i need in order to make the recipe..I too am CHALLENGED and need this clearly spelled out LOL.
Thanks for your help.
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 09:28 AM   #37
slacccer

Gallery: slacccer
Locarbman,

Your version of Liquid Stevia (with the Now brand Stevia) - how long will it last in the fridge?

Thanks for your help!

Chris
Old 12-07-2002, 09:57 AM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Chris, no problems so far...shouldn't be a problem if kept refrigerated. I use tap water...some recommend distilled. I keep it in a clear plastic mustard bottle that I can observe for any change in appearance. I don't expect any problems...only have 1/3 batch left and it is still working as advertised...fantastic in my chocolate pie lol! ;-)

More posts re shelf life:

sferrojr
Junior LCF Member
Liquid Stevia Shelf Life
My first batch of Liquid Stevia (as per LoCarbMan's method is about 3 weeks old now and I just noticed some "Stuff" Floating in it. I split the batch between two glass bottles with Eye droppers and I've only used 1, so it could have been in there from some recipe. I also keep it in the fridge. It looks kind of like mold floating in it, and I'm to afraid ot use it now. Has anyone else had this problem? Does Stevia have a limited shelf life?
Thx
03-21-2003 09:39 PM

sdbeeme
Junior LCF Member
mine did that too!!!!!!! After only 1 week!!! What should I do??
It really does look like mold floating.
03-22-2003 07:21 AM

ccaverl8
Junior LCF Member
help locarbman
bump__________________
ccaverl
started atkins 9/19/02
130/119/120
reached goal in Dec. - working on maintaining
03-22-2003 11:25 AM

locarbman
Senior LCF Member
LOL! What can I say? Since mine is stored in a rather opaque plastic container, I poured it into a crystal clear glass which I held up to a light bulb and noticed the same thing...I'm not worrying about it (have used 2 batches so far, the first batch lasted about 5 months, I used every last drop ;-)...probably results from the extraction process...just keep your liquid stevia refrigerated. If it grows fins and winks at you, why, then you should discard...;-)

PS: Just made 2 'French' Apple (jicama) Pies with a crumb topping and liquid stevia...yum ;-)
03-22-2003 11:45 AM

locarbman
Senior LCF Member
In a further effort to assist, I ran 2 cups of water through a fresh #4 Melitta coffee filter in my Gevalia coffee maker and then poured my liquid stevia through the filter. The result was a clear yellowish liquid stevia with no 'floaters'. Inspection of the coffee filter yielded no identifiable substance under a magnifying glass...hope this helps ;-)
03-22-2003 12:27 PM

jlatislaw
Junior LCF Member
LOL I always look forward to Locarbman's posts!! He is an absolute riot. Wish he was my neighbor - he'd be great at parties.
JL

Last edited by locarbman; 04-14-2003 at 06:00 PM..
Old 12-07-2002, 10:15 AM   #39

locarbman. i can't find the stevia around here and i am thinking of ordering it off the web. I searched your suggested site for the now stevia but could not find it by name. I found many listed there but i don't know which one to order. how do i determine which one would be the right one??
Old 12-07-2002, 10:41 AM   #40
slacccer

inatic,

I found the Now brand of Stevia that locarbman mentiond at Whole Foods Markets - do you have one of those near you?

Chris
Old 12-07-2002, 12:38 PM   #41
slacccer

locarbman,

It cost $8.99 at Whole Foods for the 1oz container you mentioned. I also bought 4 online today for $5.75 each. Whole Foods is definitely more expensive, but I wanted some right now to try out. If I ever get through those 5 containers, I will have to check out the website you mentioned.

Chris
Old 12-07-2002, 01:12 PM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

Sugar Free Jams ;-)

brennyS wrote:
"Could you make jellies and jams maybe?Make them more concentrated and use pectin? What cha think Locarbman"

I've found some interesting information for making 'truly' sugar free jams...

http://www.vegsource.com/talk/sugarf...ges/56309.html

In Reply to: Sugar free jam recipes anyone? posted by Leslie on August 6, 2002 at 12:13 pm:

In Reply to: linda, where in the world do you find something like this? posted by v on June 14, 2002 at 8:16 am:

Well the fruit itself is sugar anyway, right? So fruit juice is sugar too, but it's fruit! Anyway, I know what you mean. You may be able to find some ready-made jams to order online, but I do know you can make your own! It's not hard. You need to buy "Pomona's Universal Pectin" because it is the only pectin which will jell without sugar or juice! You can find it at any old supermarket or health market too. The little box it comes in has an insert of recipes. Here is some info I have on it.

TRULY SUGARLESS JAMS JELLIES

Pomona's Universal Pectin gels regardless of the sugar concentration in the jam or jelly requiring only the calcium naturally present in most fruit to set firmly. A small packet of food grade monocalcium phosphate comes in each box for use with low calcium fruits. Monocalcium phosphate is used as a yeast nutrient in baking and acidulant in baking powder, and as a mineral supplement.

Now jam and jelly makers can easily and successfully make low and no sugar fruit spreads that are thick, healthful and delicious. Pomona's Pectin firmly gels fruit products sweetened with any amount of honey, sugar, fruit juice or artificial sweetener (like liquid stevia ;-). IT WORKS EQUALLY WELL WITH 100 PERCENT FRUIT.

Pomona's Pectin can be used in a number of applications: cooked jams and jellies, uncooked 'freezer' jams and jellies, aspics, jelled milk puddings, chilled pie fillings and as a vegetarian gelation substitute. It gels fresh, frozen or canned fruit and juice.

Many jam and jelly makers have been frustrated by the pectins generally available. These pectins do not work without a 55 percent or higher sugar concentration and they are not pure products.

Some large manufacturers have introduced pectin products that require less sugar but they contain undesirable additives. All pectins available today, EXCEPT POMONA'S PECTIN, have sugar as one of the ingredients and many have preservatives as well. People today are concerned about product purity. Pomona's Universal Pectin is 100 percent pure citrus pectin powder.

Because Pomona's Pectin does not have the sugar normally added by manufacturers for the purpose of gel strength standardization (the strength is standardized by blending pectin with pectin); it is more concentrated. A 1 ounce box will gel 20 cups of fruit. A box of ordinary pectin will only gel 3-5 cups of fruit with about an equal amount of sugar. Therefore, a box of Pomona's gels 4 times as much fruit and twice as much finished product. That's both economy and healthful eating.

Pomona's Universal Pectin is derived from the peel and pulp of lemon and lime, and to a minor extent orange and grapefruit. Citrus peel is a by-product from juice and oil pressing and contains a high proportion of pectin.

The pectin is extracted using hot, acidified water and then precipitated out of solution with alcohol. Some amide groups are then introduced into the pectin molecule during the process of de-esterification (a process by which the pectin is changed from high-methoxyl to low-methoxyl). High-methoxyl pectin requires a sugar concentration above 55 percent to gel whereas low-methoxyl pectin gels in the presence of calcium ions.

This calcium sensitive, amidated, low-methoxyl pectin is packaged under the name Pomona's Universal Pectin. Each 1 ounce box includes thorough instructions and easy to follow recipes. Each 1 ounce box makes 2 - 4 recipes. Although LM (low-methoxyl) pectin has been known to industry for some time, Pomona's Universal Brand finally put it on the retail shelves in health food stores. Pomona's Universal Pectin is not recommended as a dietary supplement. Pomona's Universal Pectin can be ordered directly from:
Pomona Universal Pectin
c/o Workstead Industry
P. O. Box 1083
Greenfield, Massachusetts (MA) 01302
(Telephone and Hotline: 413-772-6816)
Up to 5 of the one ounce boxes costs $3.50 each (handling and packaging included). Orders of 5 or more boxes costs $3.25 each. Quantity orders are cheaper. Make checks payable to Workstead Industry.

PS: I called and talked to Connie at the above number and ordered (2) 1/2 pound bags (includes recipes) $17.50 each and 1 small box $3.50...all with s/h included ;-) This is a small distributorship and Connie was 'great' to talk to...She will put my order in the mail tomorrow and I will mail her a check tomorrow...just like in the good old days before internet shopping lol! This may also be good for making home made, liquid stevia sugar free syrup puddings...found this site with 561 pudding recipes, many of which can be made low carb... ;-)

http://www.recipesource.com/side-dis.../indexall.html

PPS: Found Pomona's Universal Pectin at my local health food store for $28/pound.

This sounds ready made for liquid stevia sugar free jams... ;-)

Here are 2 sample recipe's that could be modified to use liquid stevia...and jicama? ;-):

SUGAR FREE APPLE PRESERVES:

Six cups apples, finely chopped
One cup water
Juice of 1 lemon
Two teaspoon cinnamon
One cup Pomona Pectin solution
Three tablespoons liquid sweetener (or equivalent)

Cook apples, water, lemon juice and cinnamon until apples are soft. Add 1 cup pectin solution (following manufacturer's directions). Bring to boil and boil 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in 3 tablespoons liquid sweetener.

Remember: The shelf life of jams and preserves without sugar is considerably shorter.

----------
Using Pomona's Pectin

In each box of Pomona's there is a pectin packet and a calcium packet. Before you start jamming you need to make your calcium water. Put 1/2 tsp. of calcium powder in 1/2 CUP water in a little jar with a lid. Store this in refrigerator between uses. This will stay fresh several months. Shake before using. The following is a sample recipe that you receive in each box of Pomona's Pectin:

NO-COOK FREEZER RECIPE:

Blender/Food Processor Required (other dry & liquid sweeteners, including artifical sweetener, can be substitutedfor the sugar or honey).

2 Qt. of Strawberries, Raspberries or Blackberries (Remove hulls, mash room temperature berries).

4 C. mashed berries
1/2- 1 C. honey or 1+ C. sugar
3/4 C. water
3 tsp. pectin powder
4 tsp. calcium water

yield: 5-6 CUPS

More detailed printed instructions come in each box of Pomona's Pectin. Instructions for cooked jams are included also. This is the pectin choice of our houshold because it works great & uses less sugar than standard pectin. You taste more of the fruit instead of all the sugar because very little sugar is used when calcium is added to help make it set up.

----------
Can't wait for some of you 'jammers' to post some of your great jam and jelly recipes... ;-)

Last edited by locarbman; 02-25-2003 at 02:53 AM..
Old 12-07-2002, 03:01 PM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Hi, thought I'd add a site with information on flavorings that are excellent for making liquid stevia sugar free syrups...a dram is equal to 1 teaspoon... ;-)

Just find the URL for Lorann oils by internet search, or email/PM me, I'll be happy to send you my list of on-line sources... ;-)

Last edited by locarbman; 08-21-2003 at 03:12 PM..
Old 12-16-2002, 07:46 AM   #44

yahoooo my powdered stevia has just arrived!!

and of course i am anxious to get started making my "brew"

i have some questions.

"Here it is...;-) Low Carb Friends Stevia Blend! To make 2 cups of stevia extract / maltitol blend, we start with 2 cups (96t) of maltitol which equals 86.4t sugar equivalence (90% as sweet as sugar), costing $3.00. We want a blend that equals 4 X 96t or 384t sugar (the desired strength of the blend at 4 times sugar). We add 297.6 (384 - 86.4) sugar equivalents of stevia extract powder, which at a strength of 200 times sugar, requires 1 1/2t stevia powder extract (costing $0.25). Mix it up real well with a whisk and voila, 2 cups of LCF Stevia Blend which is 4 times the strength of sugar, costs $3.25 and will work in all of the recipe's at the above referenced site ;-) Yawn!...time to go to bed ;-)"

LCM is this the reqular recipe or is this another one.. wasn't sure 'cause you mention malital blend???

I was thinking that i would make only 1/2 of one bottle. I read input from AZLOWCARBER.. my question is how much powder do you use to the amout of water?? to make 1/2 of the bottle.i didnt see the amout of powder mention. was it 2tb.(or 1/2 the bottle)?? sthe said 1/3 oz or powder to 2 fl of water.

can ya help out a challenged person. PLEASE
Old 12-16-2002, 08:37 AM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Ileen,

LOL! NO! Stevia Blend is not liquid stevia...Stevia Blend is a 'solid' mixture of erythritol or maltitol and powdered stevia that is 4 times as sweet as sugar...used in recipe's on dizneegirl's stevia recipe site.

For Liquid Stevia, (I assume that you are using a one ounce bottle of NOW Brand Stevia (white powder)) the whole 1 oz bottle is mixed in 5.43floz of water to achieve the desired concentration...therefore, you may mix 1/2oz (1/2 bottle) of the stevia powder (2 tablespoons per AZJeanne) in 1/2 of the water (2.71floz)... Personally, I hate the fuss and mess of trying to use smaller amounts of the powder. It's much easier to mix up the whole (1 ounce) bottle and then fill any smaller containers you wish without having to worry about fractions of powder or liquid to maintain the proper concentration. Good luck and happy sweetening... ;-)

PS: However, if you insist, you can make up smaller amounts like this... To mix smaller amounts, ie: 1tsp of stevia powder, you divide 200 by 48 to equal 4.2 equivalent cups of sugar per teaspoon of stevia powder. This requires 4.2 1/4tsp water or ~1tsp water per 1tsp of stevia powder to achieve the desired concentration of 1/4t of the mixture = the sweetness of 1 cup of sugar...

Last edited by locarbman; 03-09-2003 at 10:08 PM..
Old 12-16-2002, 08:42 AM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Twokitty
locarbman

Haven't yet tried the stevia yet but if you tell me it sweetens chocolate better than the alternatives it will be worth trying. I haven't been satisfied with any of the commercial chocolate candies, need something closer to the dark chocolate Hershey bar (with almonds of course). Just a bit of something really good once in a while would be ever so nice.
Twokitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 09:05 AM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Twokitty,

I've used liquid stevia in my chocolate ice cream with Hershey's Baking Chocolate (unsweetened squares) and really enjoy the flavor...also use the ice cream recipe with liquid stevia for my chocolate pie. If you haven't found a satisfactory flavor yet, you might want to give this combination a try...guess I'll have to try making a low carb Hershey Almond bar now LOL! ;-)
Old 12-20-2002, 10:25 PM   #48
Major LCF Poster!

Cranberry Orange Jam ;-)

Hi, just made my first liquid stevia jam:

CRANBERRY ORANGE JAM:

1c Liquid Stevia Orange Syrup (=1c sugar, 0 carbs)
1/4t Liquid Stevia or 2/3c Maltitol Honey (you may add additional liquid stevia to taste, 0 carbs)
12oz Ocean Spray Cranberries (raw, 30 net carbs)
2 Oranges (small, raw, 18 net carbs)
4t Pomona's Calcium water (0 carbs)
3t Pomona's Universal Pectin (0 carbs)

Use blender to blend (grind) cranberries and oranges with syrup (do 1/2 recipe at a time), place in pot. Add calcium water, stir well, bring to boil. Bring additional sweetener to a boil (in a separate pan), add pectin and stir vigorously 1-2 minutes to dissolve pectin (I used a stick mixer, you may also use a blender), add to fruit, stir well to mix, return fruit to boil and remove from heat. Fill canning jars (I used small Kerr jelly jars, 1 cup size) to 1/2" of top. Wipe rims clean, screw on 2-piece lids. Put filled jars in boiling water to cover (I used my pressure cooker to 15 pounds). Boil 5 minutes (add 1 minute for every 1,000 ft above sea level). Remove from water, let jars cool, check seals-lids should be sucked down. Makes 6 (1 cup) jars and lasts about 3 weeks once opened. 0.5 carbs per tablespoon...yummy on buttered, low carb toast...am going to try berries next, should work with frozen fruit if fresh not available... ;-)

PS: Here is some more info re syrups:

BodyMindSoul
Senior LCF Member

Recipe for SF Syrups
I would like to make sugarfree syrups (like Torani or Davinci) using Lorann flavoring oils/extracts. Does anyone have a recipe for amounts etc - would like them carb free if possible (use liquid stevia??) Thanks in advance!!

locarbman
Senior LCF Member

Hi, Lorann pretty much leaves it up to your taste buds...they recommend a "few drops" in most recipes. Their recipe site is available in my on-line sources list, just send me an email or PM for the list... ;-)

From their site:

More uses for LorAnn Flavoring Oils
· If your recipe calls for orange, lemon or lime zest, use a few drops of flavoring instead.
· If you're making homemade jams and jellies, add a bit of LorAnn Flavoring Oil (Strawberry Flavor for strawberry jam, etc.) for a great flavor boost.
· Try a few drops of Raspberry or Peach Flavoring in your iced tea.
· Add a few drops of Orange Flavoring to your favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe.
· Add 1/2 teaspoon of Pineapple Flavoring to any boxed white cake mix. While still warm, top with a glaze made with powdered sugar, milk and a few drops of Pineapple Flavoring for a delicious tropical treat.
· Use a few drops in your recipe for homemade beer. Try pumpkin, apricot, raspberry or your favorite flavor!

Many of their flavorings use propylene glycol as a medium...just another name for glycerine.

For my liquid stevia orange sugar free syrup I used:
1t Homemade Liquid Stevia (= 4c sugar, 0 carbs)
5d(rops) Lorann Orange Oil (0 carbs)
3T Glycerin (0 carbs)
1/8t Salt (0 carbs)
1/2t Xanthan Gum (0 carbs)
25oz Water (0 carbs)

You can vary ingredients depending on the amount/strength/texture/flavor/sweetness you desire for any given use...hope this helps ;-)

BodyMindSoul
Senior LCF Member

Thanks locarbman..... I saw on the other thread that you used lemon oil in the pepperment paddy, strawberry and pancake syrup but not in the orange syrup you just posted????? Are you adding some citrus to all syrups for a specific reason???? (I am quite ignorant on this subject LOL) Thanks for answering my questions - I am VERY new to this WOE but my family and I love it and I have had alot of fun experimenting since we started OWL. PS -- have ordered my Cuisinart ice cream maker so would like to make these syrups for ice cream (also the girls like them in Italian sodas for a treat).

locarbman
Senior LCF Member

LOL! ;-) I checked the ingredients of those DaVinci and Torani syrups I have on hand and found they all included some citric acid...thus my inclusion of a bit of lemon extract to achieve the closest possible match. Of course, orange and tangerine oils contain their own citrate (citric acid) and I didn't feel it necessary to add the lemon extract with these flavorings. I used the orange (homemade liquid stevia) syrup in my cranberry/orange jam recipe along with Pomona's Universal Pectin and it worked very well. You'll love the Cuisinart...my peppermint paddy and maple pancake (homemade liquid stevia) syrups worked well in ice cream. I recently received a number of Lorann flavorings that I'm playing with ;-); Eggnog; Butterscotch; Orange; Tangerine; Honey; Cinnamon; Anise; Butter Rum; Clove; Cherry; Lemon; Grape; Maple; Spearmint; Raspberry; Peppermint; and Bavarian Creme...they are all more potent, cheaper than extracts, and can be mixed for even more flavors...have fun experimenting... ;-)

PS: I found an 8oz bag of Citric Acid granules at my local health food store for $2.60 that I'm going to try next in my syrups.

Last edited by locarbman; 08-21-2003 at 03:16 PM..
Old 12-26-2002, 11:02 AM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: feistymama
I almost bought some today! It must be potent - it came in a bottle that looked like a Visine dropper bottle. LOL!

So is it nasty? If so, I will just stick with sweetening my decaf coffee with vanilla Davinci syrup!
feistymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 03:35 AM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

Hi feistymama,

It's probably a good thing you didn't buy that commercial liquid stevia as I've not found anyone who really likes the taste, it is usually mixed with alcohol, and there is no easy way to determine it's concentration (sweetness level). However, if you make your own (homemade) liquid stevia from the pure extract powder as detailed above, you may find it an excellent (natural) sweetener that is very satisfactory in recipes. I'm partial to using the powdered stevia extract with a shot of DaVinci in my coffee...

I don't find my homemade liquid stevia 'nasty' at all, however, you may note that Jazzy (above) does not like the commercial liquid. LOL! You can make your own liquid stevia and use a dropper bottle with AZJeanne's drop equivalences (above) for a more accurate measure of liquid stevia in your decaf... Hope this helps, as Mikey would say, try it you'll like it... ;-)

Last edited by locarbman; 12-28-2002 at 03:45 AM..
Old 01-05-2003, 10:10 AM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Where do you find the clean dropper bottles new? Would a druggist sell one or two? Been meaning to ask there but haven't.
Old 01-05-2003, 04:30 PM   #52

chocolate pie

I would love to make the chocolate pie recipe that you spoke of. would you be willing to share that recipe i would rather try one that has been tested then one that has not..

Thanks.

-ileen
Old 01-05-2003, 07:12 PM   #53
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Ileen, here it is:

CHOCOLATE PIE:

Filling (my chocolate ice cream recipe):
2c Heavy Whipping Cream (13.2 carbs)
1c Torani Sugar Free Syrup (chocolate flavor, 0 carbs)
1t Vanilla Extract (1 carb)
3c Equivalent sweetener of choice (Liquid Stevia = 0 carbs ;-)
4 sq. Hershey's Unsweetened Baking Chocolate (foilwrap=2sq., 8 carbs)
3t Lecithin Granules (1.5 carbs)
1/4t Xanthan Gum (0 carbs)

Heat chocolate and cream…the chocolate melts in the warming cream but doesn’t really mix up till I use a hand mixer. Add remaining ingredients with a hand mixer, pour onto crust, cool in refrigerator, will set nicely overnight.

Crust (from SleuthFan’s Pecan Praline Cheesecake):
1 cup almond flour (7.5 carbs)
1 cup chopped pecans (GoldShield Pecan Bits 12 carbs)
4 TBL butter, softened (0 carbs)
4 TBL sweetener of choice (Xylitol = 0 carbs)

Mix all ingredients well (I use a blender to grind the pecans), press mixture into bottom of a Pam sprayed springform pan so it's evenly distributed and firmly packed. Bake at 375 for 10-15 minutes. You want it to be slightly browned and a little crunchy on top.

Topping:
I use an iSi Cream Whipper to top the pie with sweetened whipped cream at serving time.

43.2 total carbs (8 servings at ~5 carbs each)

It's my favorite dessert...the filling is also excellent all by itself... ;-)

Twokitty, this was posted by Galatea (above):

"I also got some tipped and capped squirt bottles, complete with ounce markers) at a beauty supply store for .89 a piece. Walgreens also gave me syringes for free from the pharmacy department that measure in fractions of teaspoons. I just put the syringe into the sweetner container and suck up the amount I need. NO spilling - - EVER! I love it. I have been doing that with liquid splenda for quite some time."

I found some clear plastic ketchup and mustard bottles in the cookware section of my supermarket that I really like. They have a red and a yellow very pointed tops with little caps attached and are made by the Arrow Plastic Mfg. Co. of Elk Grove, Ill. 60007 (Items #00065 and #00066) I store my liquid Stevia in the yellow one and my liquid Splenda in the red. I have never used eyedroppers...just count the drops from these containers or fill my measuring spoons...they work great. Hope this helps... ;-)

Last edited by locarbman; 02-27-2003 at 11:40 PM..
Old 01-06-2003, 05:46 AM   #54
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dizneegirl
I've purchased empty glass bottles and eye droppers from a local health food store... found them back where they have all the bulk spices, in several different sizes/colors. I use blue for liquid Splenda and amber for liquid Stevia.
dizneegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 09:10 AM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Thanks lcman. I really missed that quote. I'm sure each dropper has its own size drop. Mine measures about 24 drops per 1/4 teaspoon.
Old 01-09-2003, 04:07 AM   #56
Major LCF Poster!

Strawberry Jam ;-)

I just made strawberry jam using frozen strawberries and am adding the recipe for those who may be interested. .. Be sure to use the 'All Fruit' directions from Pomona's recipe sheet when using 0 carb sweeteners:

STRAWBERRY JAM;

1c Liquid Stevia Strawberry Syrup (1c sugar, 0 carbs)
1jar (12oz) Maltitol Vanilla Syrup w/ 1/4t Lorann Honey Flavoring, or 1 jar Maltitol Honey, or additional Liquid Stevia to taste (~1c sugar, 0 carbs)
2 16oz packs Frozen Strawberries (=4c fruit blended, 66 net carbs)
4t Pomona's Calcium Water (0 carbs)
2t Pomona's Universal Pectin (0 carbs)

Wash jelly jars, let jar tops stand in hot water. Puree defrosted strawberries with calcium water in blender. Bring mixture to a boil, remove from heat (I use a non-stick pan on high heat, stirring until mixture bubbles). Boil liquid stevia strawberry syrup and mix in blender with additional sweetener and pectin 1-2 min. until well mixed. Add to fruit and Return to boil. Fill jelly jars to 1/2" from top. Wipe rims clean. Screw on 2-piece lids. Put filled jars in boiling water to cover. Boil 5 min. (add 1 min. more for every 1,000 ft. above sea level) (I use a pressure cooker to 15#). Remove from water. Let jars cool. Check seals - lids should be sucked down. Lasts about 3 weeks once opened. Fills 6 (1 cup) jars (96T) and has 0.7 carbs per tablespoon...easy to make and quite yummy ;-)

NOTE: I used all of the juice from the defrosted berries and the result was a jam that was a bit more runny than the Cranberry Orange. I plan to add a packet of Knox Gelatine to my next batch for a firmer jam.

NOTE2: Above was my fault, I failed to mix the pectin with 1 cup of boiling liquid stevia syrup in the blender, and that's why the jam was runny ;-( I have adjusted the instructions above accordingly... ;-)

NOTE3: A stick mixer works better for me than a blender...less trouble than trying to get all of the pectin mixture out of the blender.

Last edited by locarbman; 01-26-2003 at 04:22 AM..
Old 01-09-2003, 07:29 AM   #57
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sferrojr
Strawberry Syrup?

Wow! That sounds increadible locarbman! Just one question though, how do you make the "Liquid Stevia Strawberry Syrup" from your standard Liquid Stevia recipe?

Thanks!
sferrojr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 07:56 AM   #58
Major LCF Poster!

Hi sferrojr,

I copied this recipe from my post above...I know, this thread has become a lot to read...lol!

_____
Strawberry Stevia sugar free syrup (12oz)
1/2t Liquid Stevia (= 2c sugar, 0 carbs)
2t Strawberry Extract (1 carb) (Durkee not very strong, 5 drops Lorann flavoring is better ;-)
1/16t Pure Lemon Extract (0.06 carb)
1T Glycerine (0 carbs)
1/16t Salt (0 carbs)
3d Red Food Coloring (0 carbs)
1/8t Xanthan Gum (0 carbs)
12oz Water (0 carbs)

Stored in empty 16oz glycerine bottle ;-)
_____

You can use a full 1 cup of the Liquid Stevia Syrup instead of using the maltitol honey syrup to make the jam...just wanted to try it out... These low carb jams sure help fruit cravings...;-)

PS: Just got home from the grocery with packages of frozen peaches, strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, berry medley, tropical fruit, and fresh cranberries ;-)...these Liquid Stevia jams are lower in carbs than Fifty Fifty jams and have no aspartame..;-)

Can't wait to try homemade tomato jam (I remember it from childhood ;-) and orange marmalade...whole oranges in the blender leave chunks that should work as well as (and save the time of peeling and slicing) processed skins... ;-)

Last edited by locarbman; 01-10-2003 at 11:40 PM..
Old 01-14-2003, 10:23 AM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AlliECaT
OK. Now that you all have me cranked up about stevia, here is what I found at The Vitamin Outlet in Dearborn, MI (and bought).
I have a 2 oz. bottle of liquid stevia extract and a box of stevia balance (which is powder in packets). Both Now brand.
Is this the stuff of which dreams are made for replacing splenda in recipes?
The powdered form indicates that one packet has 9 mgs of extract and it also has chromium and inulin in it in very small amounts.
I put 4 drops of the liquid in a 12 oz. glass of water and it tastes lke sugar water ;-).
Thanks
Allie
Old 01-14-2003, 02:07 PM   #60
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Allie,

Stevia packets are just like Splenda packets...equivalent to 2 teaspoons of sugar per packet. I've not tried the NOW Brand Liquid Stevia, and am unable to tell you exactly what it's strength is...you might try 1/4 teaspoonful with a packet of Kool-Aid in 2 quarts of water to verify it's sweetness. If it is sufficiently sweet, and you don't mind the alcohol taste, then it could be used in the same way that our 'homemade' liquid stevia is used. I personally recommend making 'homemade' liquid stevia by mixing a 1 ounce bottle of NOW Stevia Extract Potent White Herbal Extract (a white powder) in 2/3 cup of water...I'm satisfied that this solution is 200 times as sweet as sugar and is the only solution that I can recommend to replace Splenda in recipes...hope this helps ;-)