Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2005, 11:24 AM   #1
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: sasasota
Stats: 301/173/140
WOE: LC
Start Date: March 15, 2006
Ground Turkey Recipes Anyone??

I just bought 5 pounds of ground turkey that was on sale for 75 cents per pound. I know I can use it for burgers, meatloaf and meatballs, but can anyone give me some other great ideas for it. I am thinking of getting more of it at this price if I can come up with some great recipes. I will be making Picadillo and freezing that, but I would like to be able to make and freeze some dinners to stock my freezer with.

Thanks for your help.
sasasota is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2005, 03:13 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Cap57
Stats: 155/150/135 (5'8")
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Sept. 2003
Wow! Great price! I sub ground turkey anywhere I might use ground beef. Here's a recipe my whole family really likes. I haven't frozen it, but I would think you could.

MEXICAN CHOP SUEY

1 lb. ground turkey
1 small onion, diced
½ green pepper, diced
2 cloves garlic
1 Tab. (or to taste), taco seasoning, (recipe below)
½ box Dreamfield’s elbows
1 packet seasoning mix from Kraft Mac & Cheese
2 Tab. Butter
1/3 cup milk, either Carb Countdown brand, or put 2 Tab. half & half in measuring cup and fill rest of way with water
½ cup diced tomatoes, (I like grape tomatoes)
1 cup shredded cheese, (Mexican blend, or cheddar)
sour cream to top

Brown meat with onion, green pepper, and garlic. Stir in Taco Seasoning. (Sometimes I also add a couple of spoonfuls of salsa if I have it).
Cook pasta and drain. Stir in butter and milk. Sprinkle cheese sauce packet over and stir. Add pasta to meat mixture, along with chopped tomatoes. Stir well. Sprinkle shredded cheese over. Cover skillet until cheese is melted. Serve with a dollop of sour cream if desired.

SEASONING FOR TACOS (Courtesy of Linda Sue)
2 Tab. Chili powder
5 tsp. paprika
5 tsp. cumin
1 Tab. Onion powder
1 Tab. Salt
1 Tab. Garlic powder
¼ tsp. cayenne, (can add more if you like it really spicy)
1 yellow packet Splenda

Mix and keep on hand for tacos, chicken fajitas, chili, or anything that needs a Mexican flavor. 2 carbs per Tab.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:04 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MORE2GO
Stats: 240/184.5/150
Start Date: October 2003
This is what I like to do with ground Turkey

I add crumbled bacon to it, and an egg (like making meatloaf) and then wrap the mixture around a piece of frying cheese (or any cheese stick). and bake them in the oven until done. Makes about 6-8 mini meat loaves.
My family seems to like them, but they are kind of dry, so last time I mixed 1/3 c of Sour Cream, 1/3 c of Mayo and some dry ranch dressing seasoning and poured that over the top of them and baked them - I thought it was really good.
I also like to make Turkey, Bacon, Cheese burgers, mix the turkey, bacon pieces and shredded cheese together (doesn't stick together well) fry'em up.
MORE2GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 03:45 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dolphinslady
Stats: 134/117/115
WOE: Lower Carb/Lower Fat
Start Date: WOL for 3 years
You can pretty much use it for anything you would use ground beef for. I actually sometimes prefer the turkey over beef, in an effort to cut calories as well as taste.

Off hand I'm thinking freeze it in portion sizes that you will use. But you could also go ahead and season the meat and make meatballs, hamburgers, etc. and freeze.

A few of my favorite recipes:

Kerri’s Yummy Stuffed Peppers

4 medium green peppers -- tops removed, deseeded, washed
1 lb ground beef *turkey*
½ c. chopped onion
1 tsp Oregano
1 tsp Basil
3/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp Sage
salt and pepper -- to taste
1 1/2 tsp worcestershire sauce
8 oz. tomato sauce
6 oz. cream cheese
1 egg
1 cup shredded cheese of choice

Core and deseed the peppers. Boil in salted water for 5 minutes (for
firmer peppers, don't boil). Place in a casserole dish. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Brown the onion and beef in a large saucepan. Drain and add the spices and worcestshire sauce. Over low-medium heat, add the tomato sauce and cream cheese and mix until blended. Turn off heat and add the egg and 3/4c of the shredded cheese and mix well.

Spoon the mixture into each of the peppers, then top with the remaining 1/4c. shredded cheese. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.

Tex Mex Turkey Burgers
1 pound turkey
1/4 cup chopped green onion
2 tbs green salsa
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper

I just use garlic pepper instead of garlic & pepper. Cook about 5-6 minutes per side on a medium hot grill. Flip here and there. Awesome topped with jack cheese w/peppers, if you like spice.

HTH!
Cheryl
dolphinslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 09:33 AM   #5
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: sasasota
Stats: 301/173/140
WOE: LC
Start Date: March 15, 2006
Thanks everyone. I have added the recipes to my list. I am going to cook up this ground turkey tomorrow evening. Wish mew luck.
sasasota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 06:08 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: wendytanner23
Stats: 224/215/145
WOE: Low carbs not really following any peticular diet
Start Date: 8/25/09
Noodless Lasagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasasota View Post
I just bought 5 pounds of ground turkey that was on sale for 75 cents per pound. I know I can use it for burgers, meatloaf and meatballs, but can anyone give me some other great ideas for it. I am thinking of getting more of it at this price if I can come up with some great recipes. I will be making Picadillo and freezing that, but I would like to be able to make and freeze some dinners to stock my freezer with.

Thanks for your help.
Tammy-
hello my name is wendy. I have a blog on google reader called project wendy. I have a great recipe in one of my blogs for noodless veggie lasagna. I created it myself. You can add meat to it if you would like. If you have a hard time finding it let me know. The blog it is in is called noodless lasagna anyone.

Have fun with the cooking
wendy
wendytanner23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:22 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: krissakris
WOE: Low-Carb Something of Another...
I lovee Spinach + Mozzarella meatloaf...I use 1lb of ground turkey, 1 pack of fresh spinach chopped, I don't remember if I used an egg or not, but I'd say use what you'd use in a regular meatloaf, and 2 cups of mozzarella. It tastes great! I may have to make some of that this week since I have some ground turkey in my fridge, lol.
krissakris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:23 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: krissakris
WOE: Low-Carb Something of Another...
Oh, and you can also make Italian Wedding Soup!
krissakris is offline   Reply With Quote