Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2005, 06:08 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Freezing raw shredded cauliflower "rice"

In answer to rojo1's question last week about whether or not you can freeze raw shredded cauliflower, the answer is YES. It works great and will be a wonderful time saver. I froze about 1/2 cup of raw shredded cauliflower in a ziploc bag and didn't do a thing to it other than stick it in the freezer for a few days or so. No blanching or anything is necessary, but you will probably need to thaw it the night before you want to use it. That's what I did anyway. Maybe I need to experiment with cooking it from a frozen state sometime. The reason that I thawed it was because it had frozen into a solid chunk.

I recommend adding a little water to the cauliflower before microwaving it, just like when you cook it from fresh, even though it will seem very watery once it has thawed. The cooking will quickly evaporate the little bit of moisture and it could start to brown if you're not careful.

Anyway, I cooked up that single serving and added a pat of butter and some salt and pepper and the flavor and texture are very nice. I would have taken a photo of it, but I ate it, LOL.

Thanks for asking about this, rojo1. Now I will start freezing it myself when I have more than I need for a recipe.
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2005, 07:23 AM   #2
Bike Tart

Gallery: mamagiff
WOE: general low carb
Glad to hear this! I've been meaning to try it and never got to it. Now I will make the effort so that I have single serving packs to use when DH isn't home for a meal.
mamagiff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 07:41 AM   #3
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: binki
Stats: 190/160/140
WOE: just low carb
Start Date: November 2003
Ooh, this is good to know. Next time cauliflower goes on sale I'll stock up and shred a haystack of the stuff. Thanks for braving the frozen tundra to find out!
binki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 10:15 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: deeO
WOE: Blended LC
Start Date: Feb 03
Thanks Linda Sue....you're a gem!
deeO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 01:33 PM   #5
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Here's a thought - you could spread the (raw) cauli-rice out on waxed paper on a cookie sheet, and freeze - then break it up quickly and bag it. That way you could pour out just the amount you needed and put the rest back in the freezer!

I do that with cilantro and strawberries and stuff like that and it works great. Kind of your own version of IQF (individually quick frozen) veggies!

Char
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 02:01 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NotoSugar
I am sure this will work in the short run, but I don't think the cauliflower will keep long term in the freezer without blanching.
NotoSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 02:20 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dolphinslady
Stats: 134/117/115
WOE: Lower Carb/Lower Fat
Start Date: WOL for 3 years
Here's a thought - you could spread the (raw) cauli-rice out on waxed paper on a cookie sheet, and freeze - then break it up quickly and bag it. That way you could pour out just the amount you needed and put the rest back in the freezer!

Another little hint that you can do with ground chuck that I would imagine works for anything basically is...

Put a the food in a ziplock freezer back and flatten it out. Then, get all of the air out and zip it. (Leave a little room for expansion.) Then, take a plate or very dull knife and divide it into sections that suit your needs. (hamburger size, 1 lb. size, etc.) Then, when you need to break it off from the freezer it works great!

:-)
Cheryl
dolphinslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 02:22 AM   #8

Gallery: auntie3
Stats: 217 / bouncing around / 140
WOE: Low Carb/ Lower GI
Start Date: Jan 24/01
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotoSugar
I am sure this will work in the short run, but I don't think the cauliflower will keep long term in the freezer without blanching.
I agree with this. Sometimes things will freeze just fine for a few days, or even up to a week or two. But beyond that, your result can be very disappointing. Much depends on the type of freezer you put it in, and the temperature of the freezer. And sometimes, it can depend upon where in the freezer you put it. Frost free refrigerators and freezers tend to dry out your food and cause premature freezer burn. Sometimes things won't even keep for more than a month without showing signs of deterioration. Also, it depends on how carefully you seal the food item, and how much air is in the freezing container.

HTH

Auntie

Proud member of the SHRINKING VIOLETS
[/color]

[color=red]At the Canada Challenge thread every day![/color]
auntie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 06:11 AM   #9

I think that even some slight deterioration of quality would be better than throwing it out when you can't use up the leftovers or have too much to use right away. Even store bought frozen veggies deteriorate over time. Next time I shred some fresh cauliflower, I'll stick a little in my freezer for a longer time (1-2 months perhaps) and see what happens. My extra freezer isn't frost free, but my fridge freezer is and that's where I had the sample.
Old 05-28-2005, 10:02 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nessyrae
Stats: 299/239.6/???
WOE: Lower Carb WW
Just a quick question...how do you shred cauliflower without making a mess. I tried this last weekend and it was a disaster. It also didn't taste very good either (I made the "mexican rice" recipe from Linda Sue's site). I bought some cabbage today to shred for coleslaw, hope I don't run into the same problem. What parts of the cauli do you shred? All or just some? Thanks!
nessyrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 10:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nessyrae
Just a quick question...how do you shred cauliflower without making a mess. I tried this last weekend and it was a disaster. It also didn't taste very good either (I made the "mexican rice" recipe from Linda Sue's site). I bought some cabbage today to shred for coleslaw, hope I don't run into the same problem. What parts of the cauli do you shred? All or just some? Thanks!
Grating cauliflower, even with a food processor, can make a big mess. Little bits of cauliflower will end up all over the place. To keep the mess to a minimum, put your food processor close to your kitchen sink and place your cutting board in the sink that has your garbage disposal. Most of the little bits will stay in the sink and you can simply rinse them down the drain. If you don't have a garbage disposal, set your cutting board on a plastic grocery bag in the sink. It will catch most of the mess.

I shred everything except for the very toughest part of the stem and any leafy bits. The stem makes very nice shreds and makes your "rice" look more realistic.

If you're not a cauliflower lover, there's not going to be much you can do to make it taste good to you.
Old 05-28-2005, 11:03 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nessyrae
Stats: 299/239.6/???
WOE: Lower Carb WW
I love the taste of cauliflower, I think I just had such a bad experience and ended up cooking it poorly. Thanks for the tips!
nessyrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 04:16 AM   #13

Gallery: auntie3
Stats: 217 / bouncing around / 140
WOE: Low Carb/ Lower GI
Start Date: Jan 24/01
I find it helps to spray my food processor with Pam or vegetable oil. Everything just slides off. Since it's being used for rice anyway, I figure the little bit of oil won't hurt anything.

I agree about freezing rather han tossing, Linda. I just don't think that anyone should expect that freezing for a long time will have the same result as short-term freezing.
auntie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 08:08 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
Let me just say . . .

I am NOT a cauliflower lover. I really can't stand the stuff plain, and I only find mashed cauliflower palatable if I put enough cheese and fat and bacon in it to convince my mouth that it's mashed.

But!

Tonight I tried cauliflower fried rice for the first time. I was really reluctant, but I was serving a chinese low carb dish tonight and I wanted a good side.

What a pleasant surprise. I used the fried rice recipe from Linda Sue's site, and I thought it was delicious. The texture and mouthfeel seemed right. The taste was delicious. It triggered me to want to eat a second bowl, which I did!

Caveat is that my husband did not like it. This surprised me, quite honestly, because I thought he would love it. It didn't taste like cauliflower to me. It tasted delicious.

He said the texture seemed right, but the spices off. So I will try to find another recipe for making fried rice and do it again. Then again, maybe he is just being unreasonable.

I will absolutely make this again, especially if it can be frozen. If need be, I'll buy my husband those bags of prepared rice, and defrost my "rice" when needed!
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 10:27 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rexsreine
WOE: low carb
I have frozen shredded raw cauliflower a number of times. Given the mess involved - even with a food processor - it is worth it to do two or three heads at a time. I put one shredded head in a freezer zip bag, pressing out as much air as possible. I have kept the cauliflower as long as two months. I cook it from the frozen state in the microwave, uncovered, with NO extra water. I break it up from time to time while cooking. This method has given me the best results. The longer the cauliflower remains frozen,the more seasonings you will need as it is true that longer storage certainly does not improve its flavor. But I have not found this to be a problem as most of the dishes I use the frozen for are spicy. If I want "mashed potatoes", a fresh cauliflower or newly-frozen bag is best.

Ginny
rexsreine is offline   Reply With Quote