Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2005, 05:28 PM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Easy Ice Cream!

If you don't have an ice cream maker, and don't want to bother with specialty ingredients, you have got to try these recipes for the easiest ice cream ever. Tonight I made the strawberry and my husband and I were in heaven it was soooo good. I may try making some coffee ice cream tomorrow night.

Be sure to follow the instructions carefully. The frozen ice cream cubes must be in an almost slushy state before processing. Once you've tried the basic vanilla and the fruit version, you'll soon come up with your own variations using the basic ingredients as a guideline.

EASY ICE CREAM
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup Da Vinci sugar free syrup, any flavor
Liquid Splenda equal to 1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla, chocolate or other extract, optional

Mix all ingredients and freeze in ice cube tray at least 4 hours. Once the cubes are frozen solid, take them out of the tray and store in the freezer in an airtight container until 1 hour before serving time. Place frozen ice cream cubes in food processor, with chopping blade inserted, and let them stand at room temperature 1 hour or 30 minutes if it's a very hot day. Once the cubes have had a chance to thaw a little, process until ice cream is smooth and creamy, scraping down sides of processor as needed. Serve at once and do not refreeze for more than a few minutes before serving.

Makes 2-3 servings

TIP: If the cubes don't easily pop out of the tray, fill kitchen sink with about an inch or two of very hot water. Set tray in water for a few seconds or until the cubes can be popped out of the tray.

Per 1/3 Recipe: 276 Calories; 29g Fat; 2g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs
Per 1/2 Recipe: 413 Calories; 44g Fat; 2g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs

This is so good and so easy. You'll think you've died and gone to the Dairy Queen. I made a batch using vanilla syrup and another one using coffee syrup with chocolate extract. Both were very good. Use your imagination to come up with some tasty variations using this basic ice cream recipe. How about throwing in a few frozen strawberries along with the ice cream cubes? Or how about a low carb "Blizzard" with some chopped up bits of sugar free peanut butter cups, etc? Try caramel, banana or any other flavor syrup or extract to come up with your own unique flavors.

NOTE: I've discovered that you can't process the ice cream cubes from a completely frozen state. You'll end up with slushy butter. Although you can freeze them ahead of time, and store them in the freezer indefinitely, they must be partially thawed for the recipe to be successful.

EASY STRAWBERRY ICE CREAM
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup vanilla Da Vinci sugar free syrup
Liquid Splenda equal to 1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
8 ounces frozen strawberries

Mix all ingredients, except strawberries, and freeze in ice cube tray at least 4 hours. Once the cubes are frozen solid, take them out of the tray and store in the freezer in an airtight container until 1 hour before serving time. Place frozen ice cream cubes and frozen berries in food processor, with chopping blade inserted, and let them stand at room temperature 1 hour or 30 minutes if it's a very hot day. Once the cubes have had a chance to thaw a little, process until ice cream is smooth and creamy, scraping down sides of processor as needed. Serve at once and do not refreeze for more than a few minutes before serving.

Makes 4-6 servings

TIP: If the cubes don't easily pop out of the tray, fill kitchen sink with about an inch or two of very hot water. Set tray in water for a few seconds or until the cubes can be popped out of the tray.

Per 1/6 Recipe: 150 Calories; 15g Fat; 1g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs
Per 1/4 Recipe: 225 Calories; 22g Fat; 1g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 6g Net Carbs
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2005, 06:27 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
sound easy and great,, thanks for this recipe
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 07:41 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mahyde
Stats: 119/110/110
WOE: moderate carbs/Zone
Start Date: April 2001
Okay, now I have to get an ice cube tray....thanks Linda Sue.....
mahyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 04:50 AM   #4

One thing I really like about this method is that it has built-in portion control. You have to wait another hour if you want to make more. The down side is that you have to remember to take the cubes out an hour ahead of time.

I'm going to add this note to the recipes on my site, so I thought I'd mention it here too. One way that you can tell if the ice cream cubes are thawed enough to process, is if you can easily break them up with a fork.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:54 AM   #5
Old Wise One

Gallery: jezzie
Stats: choosing to be scale-free;
WOE: (48% C; 33% Fat; 19% P; )
Start Date: 11/22/11 - MediterrAsian, Flexitarian, Oz-ish
I just mix half a cup of organic frozen berries with some heavy cream ... whip with stick mixer and eat. ... I think it tastes great without the splenda.

~jezzie

[color=magenta]There are no shortcuts to any place worth going. - Beverly Sills [/color]
jezzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 09:35 AM   #6
Inky

Gallery: airforcemom
WOE: Low carb/lots of exercise!
Start Date: March 2003
ohhh gosh that looks so good, I can get into real trouble with ice cream though so I'm not sure I will make it...oh who am I kidding I'm gonna make it! LOL

Thanks for another wonderful recipe!
airforcemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 11:38 AM   #7

That sounds good, jezzie, but it wouldn't work for plain vanilla and non-fruit ice creams.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:33 PM   #8
cbg
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cbg
Linda Sue, what chocolate syryp do you use. I didn't like the choco syryp by divinci so well. I luv other flavors but just not the chocolate. Any suggestions?
cbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 03:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbg
Linda Sue, what chocolate syryp do you use. I didn't like the choco syryp by divinci so well. I luv other flavors but just not the chocolate. Any suggestions?
I've never used any low carb chocolate syrups because they usually have sugar alcohols in them. Are you looking for a topping for your ice cream or something to flavor the ice cream with? I found some chocolate extract that's not too bad, but you get a pretty weak chocolate flavor with it.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:05 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kcduffer
Stats: 168/152/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Sept. 2002
I would think that you could pop them into the microwave for a short time to soften them up enough to make them right away. I know this doesn't help with the portion control, but I find that a really rich ice cream is so satisfying that I usually don't overindulge too badly.
kcduffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 04:30 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcduffer
I would think that you could pop them into the microwave for a short time to soften them up enough to make them right away. I know this doesn't help with the portion control, but I find that a really rich ice cream is so satisfying that I usually don't overindulge too badly.
I'd be very careful doing that. It can melt very quickly once it gets going.

You also may find that the cubes are ready to process sooner than 1 hour. Nancy made her first batch last night and it turned to soup because she waited an hour. I made a batch of coffee ice cream last night and I needed to wait the full hour for mine, even though it was in the 80's here, and it came out perfect. I would start checking on them after 30 minutes to see if you can break them up with a fork or not. You don't want them to reach the point where they are melting and turning to liquid. In fact, when I do mine, there is no liquid in the processor at all. Here's a picture from last night:

Old 05-10-2005, 06:43 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: canadiandina
i don't have a food processor...do you think a blender would work? or how about a stick blender?
canadiandina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 08:11 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lucky4
Stats: Size 20-22/-31.6 lbs /Size 8-10 Right under 5'8"
WOE: Back to Protein Power (LCer for a long time)
Start Date: Restart Feb 1, 2011
I use my Vita-mix to make ice cream similar to this. Problem is in the past, I used solid frozen cubes and milk--now, I let them thaw (like you guys do) and add more cream. I rarely buy my kids ice cream outside--they love this type with strawberries or bananas.
Lucky4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 10:10 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiandina
i don't have a food processor...do you think a blender would work? or how about a stick blender?
I don't think that either of those will work for this. Nancy tried using her blender the other day and it didn't work. It needs the large food processor blade to chop it up fine and aerate it at the same time. I'm not sure, but I think the stick blender wouldn't cover enough area. If you want to take a chance with the stick blender, try making a small batch first. Today I tried making a 1/3 batch in my mini food processor, and it worked, but the blade wasn't big enough to get it nice and creamy.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:12 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
Well I was already to make this up as I have some cream that needs to be used up and when I went to get my ingredients together I realized that I dont have any ice cube trays,, duh , Now I got to wait till I get some trays,, I was j ust at the store too,, I am so mad..
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 10:18 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendajm
Well I was already to make this up as I have some cream that needs to be used up and when I went to get my ingredients together I realized that I dont have any ice cube trays,, duh , Now I got to wait till I get some trays,, I was j ust at the store too,, I am so mad..
You could still make some using the method in this recipe: Kool-Aid Sherbet. That's the recipe that gave me the idea for making this in the first place. It's more work and fiddling around, but the end result is about the same.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:20 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: glasskat
Stats: 178.6/160/140
WOE: Atkins Induction/VLC
Start Date: July 2002/Restart May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiandina
A fairly inexpensive option is to get one of those Black and Decker choppers. I have one and use it all the time to make whipped cream - it's just a smaller version of a food processor. I use mine all the time for chopping stuff (even make almond flour in it).
glasskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 04:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasskat
A fairly inexpensive option is to get one of those Black and Decker choppers. I have one and use it all the time to make whipped cream - it's just a smaller version of a food processor. I use mine all the time for chopping stuff (even make almond flour in it).
The Black & Decker chopper is what I was referring to when I said I tried it in my mini food processor. It worked, but you can't get the ice cream as creamy with it. I have found that adding a tiny bit of water helps a lot if you're having trouble getting the ice cream to go around in the processor. I'll have to try that with my mini chopper sometime. I just didn't think to do that at the time.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:26 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hookmaster7
Stats: 220/180/130
WOE: ATKINS
Start Date: JUNE 1999
Can you make this Ice Cream in an Ice Cream Maker??
hookmaster7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 10:26 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookmaster7
Can you make this Ice Cream in an Ice Cream Maker??
I don't see why not, but you'd still have to eat it right away because there are no gums and additives to keep it scoop-able. The reason I came up with this idea was so that I wouldn't need an ice cream maker. I do have one, but I didn't want to bother with the ice and salt and all that for such a tiny batch.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:51 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jdennysgirl
I don't have a food processor. Would the "Ultimate Chopper" suffice to make a small amount? Thanks
jdennysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 09:35 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998
Isn't this just lovely for all those of us who are going through a "bad" patch where we can't handle SAs and PDs and such....

Thanks, Linda Sue, I was trying to figure out what to do with that large batch of heavy cream ....
theislandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 10:56 PM   #23
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: saprswife
Stats: 178/128/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/16/03
I have mine freezing right now...

...for some reason I'm really, really low on SF vanilla syrup so I made mine with SF Almond Roca (it smells devine!).

I can't wait to try it out tomorrow!

Malinda
saprswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 04:40 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdennysgirl
I don't have a food processor. Would the "Ultimate Chopper" suffice to make a small amount? Thanks
I really couldn't say. I think that it may need the large blade of a food processor to get creamy results. Also, your Ultimate Chopper might end up whipping the cream to the point that you end up with butter.

I'm not normally too concerned about fat and calories, but I'm considering trying this ice cream with half and half instead of cream sometime. It cuts the calories to almost a third of using cream and it may help with the "mouth feel" of the ice cream. Cream sometimes leaves a bit of a film in your mouth. Oh, and it would only add 1-2 carbs more per serving to use half and half.
Old 05-14-2005, 02:08 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: makeupmonsterdog
Stats: 23(ish)% Body Fat/15% Body Fat/15% Body Fat
WOE: Low Carb
LindaSue, I am enjoying your Bananas Foster version as I speak and it is so darn tasty! The ratios of cinnamon and caramel extract are just right to hit the flavor on the nose. The only thing I did different was use 2 percent Carb Countdown milk (didn't have the cream and need a way to get rid of the milk anyway), so the texture is more like a fluffy and very creamy italian ice. Also, this stuff really does expand! I ended up with 12 ice cubes and used 6 for my portion (at less than 60 calories and about 2 carbs!) I yield a BIG portion! I need to get more ice cube trays to try different flavors!!

Thanks for yet another fantastic recipe
makeupmonsterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 02:29 PM   #26

Thanks for the review, makeupmonsterdog. The Bananas Foster ingredients were pretty much just a guess, but I guess I hit it about right. It's nice to know that Carb Countdown milk works too. I suppose that a combination of milk and cream would work too if you're trying to use up one or the other and don't want to buy half and half.

I bet chocolate Carb Countdown would be nice too, but make sure you take the fact that it's already sweet into the equation.

I made a new dessert recipe today, so I won't get to have any more ice cream until that's gone. If you want to take a look, here's the link to Key Lime Fluff
Old 05-14-2005, 04:29 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PhillyTwinsMom
WOE: LowCarb & Patience
Start Date: It's a fresh start everyday...!
Linda... Do you have to freeze completely and then melt the cubes. Can you take the short cut and just freeze maybe 2hours and if it's soft enough blend it from there? I have been following this receipe here and at your site.

Also, I'm I understanding that you can use cream or half and half?

Last edited by PhillyTwinsMom; 05-14-2005 at 04:31 PM..
PhillyTwinsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 04:47 PM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Linda, I was looking at your site and the strawberry ice cream recipe doesn't say when to add the strawberries. Do you process the partially thawed cubes first and then add them or add right at the beginning? Could you throw the strawberries in while the ice cubes are thawing and let them partially thaw too?

The key lime fluff recipe looks interesting too. I love that you experiment with this stuff and share with us.

Last edited by katcha; 05-14-2005 at 04:50 PM..
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 05:56 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyTwinsMom
Linda... Do you have to freeze completely and then melt the cubes. Can you take the short cut and just freeze maybe 2hours and if it's soft enough blend it from there? I have been following this receipe here and at your site.

Also, I'm I understanding that you can use cream or half and half?
I think that the cubes need to be frozen nearly 4 hours to work, but you can process them at any time that you think they are ready. You don't have to let them freeze solid first as long as they are at least frosty all the way through. You must make sure that there is not still liquid in the centers. The idea is not to let the cubes get soft or melted before processing. They should break up with a fork, but still be frosty and icy. If the cubes get too slushy before processing, the ice cream will be too soft. When they are just right, you may think that the food processor won't be able to blend them, but pulse them a few times, and scrape down with a spatula, and they'll eventually get moving. If they're still a bit sluggish, pour in about 1 teaspoon of water.

Just give it a try and you'll eventually get to know when the cubes are ready to process. Be sure to start checking them after 30 minutes because the temperature in the room can make a huge difference in how quickly they start to thaw.

I haven't tried making the ice cream with half and half yet, but I'm sure it would work fine. Just bear in mind that the less fat, the more icy the end result will be as you can see from makeupmonsterdog's description when she used Carb Countdown milk instead of cream.
Old 05-15-2005, 05:59 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by katcha
Linda, I was looking at your site and the strawberry ice cream recipe doesn't say when to add the strawberries. Do you process the partially thawed cubes first and then add them or add right at the beginning? Could you throw the strawberries in while the ice cubes are thawing and let them partially thaw too?
Thanks for catching that, katcha. You're right. You put the frozen berries in the processor at the same time as the cubes and let them thaw together. I've already corrected it on my site.