Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2005, 12:16 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PhillyTwinsMom
WOE: LowCarb & Patience
Start Date: It's a fresh start everyday...!
Shirataki Noodles...Anyone Using them

I did a search on these and found some information, but most of it is from over a year ago.

Is anyone currently using them?
Do they work out well in receipes?
Do you have any receipes you want to share?

Thinking of going on the hunt for them this weekend, but I want to see if it's worth it?

Philly~
PhillyTwinsMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2005, 12:21 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pdianne
Stats: 300/ DONE - size 6, 150 and happy
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 2003
I used to use them rather frequently but haven't found them in quite a while. I miss them.

Mostly what I'd do is make a stir-fry of some sort and serve it over the noodles. Either that or an alfredo ot tomato sauce.

Make sure you cook them according to the package.
pdianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 08:29 PM   #3
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: argo2d
i dont like these as much as the tofu shiratake made by house foods which are a combination of konnyaku flour (same stuff used to make konjac noodles) and tofu. they resemble pasta and noodles far more and render the konjac stuff pretty impalatable in comparison (based on the fact i used to love the konjac but now refuse to eat it!) - and they have calcium and protein to boot! there are 2 types, noodles and fettucini shaped.

i agree about the dreamsfield though -- i have never believed in the indigestible carbs thing and i dont understand why someone would choose that when a far better alternative that is truly low carb and calorie is on the market!
argo2d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 04:10 AM   #4
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: akmd65
Stats: 182/182/150
WOE: South Beach - Phase 1
Start Date: 6/24/2010
where do you find these noodles? ive been looking and cant find them anywhere.
akmd65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 08:01 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MARAL3
Stats: 180/180/150
I found the Shiratake noodels at a local Vons,I'm in LA,actually there are 2 in my town and one had it and the other one didn't.
I'm so excited about it!
I made a fettucini(sp?) with it yesterday.It was great!
It smells funky when you first open it up...I rinsed it well...and then I boiled it for 3 or 4 minutes in some water and chicken bouillion(sp?)
I'm going to be using it a lot!
The texture is a bit different...but it didnt' bother me at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MARAL3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 02:27 PM   #6
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I bought some and all I can say is YUCK!!

I thought the texture was nasty.

Probably would be just fine in sukiyaki but for me, it did NOT make a viable pasta substitute! I'd rather have spaghetti squash!

My local produce market, which is owned by some Korean people, carries them though, so if you really want to try them, look for an Oriental market. They should be in the refrigerated section.

Char
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 02:05 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MARAL3
Stats: 180/180/150
dont' you think they are a little like the noodles in those Cup O Soups?
well anyways,I'm very glad I tried them!
MARAL3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 06:47 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

I'm going to have to try them for myself.

I haven't found them yet, but will keep looking.

Thanks All.....
Old 05-08-2005, 08:24 PM   #9
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: argo2d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski
I bought some and all I can say is YUCK!!

I thought the texture was nasty.

Probably would be just fine in sukiyaki but for me, it did NOT make a viable pasta substitute! I'd rather have spaghetti squash!

My local produce market, which is owned by some Korean people, carries them though, so if you really want to try them, look for an Oriental market. They should be in the refrigerated section.

Char
what did you buy? was it the tofu shiritake?
argo2d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 09:47 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jeamevan
Stats: 150/115/115
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: Feb 2004
I found the yam ones, not the tofu ones, at my local asian grocery. The were only $.99. The label listed 0 calories and 0 carbs for the whole package. I stir-fryed shrimp, bean sprouts, and brocolli in soy sauce, garlic, ginger and sesame oil, then added the noodles. Then I mixed a huge heap of melted peanut butter w/ a little water and soy sauce and poured over the top. Oh, and I used chunky peanut butter so there were lots of little peanut bits.

I was always a fan of cold leftover chinese food, so I put it in the fridge overnight to let the flavors blend and ate it cold for lunch today.

OHMYGOSH WAS IT GOOD!!!
jeamevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 06:26 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aediekins
Stats: St/199 Curr/163 Goal/155
WOE: Low-Carb
Start Date: 8 more lbs to go!!
I tried it too. Grossssss!!!!

They're nasty yucky things.

Blech for me!

But I'm glad others like it! We all have different tastes.
Aediekins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 11:32 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LowCarbHoney
Stats: 293/182.8/150 (5'7")
Start Date: January 21, 2004
I love the yam noodles. They make a pretty good baked spaghetti and I wasn't able to tell the difference. I found them at an Korean International grocery store. Love them!
LowCarbHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 08:33 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hirezmary
Stats: 195/160/145
WOE: Semi-Atkins
Start Date: January 2005
Sounds like we really have mixed reviews. Still Im so curious now, I think I will have try both the yam and tofu noodles. Maybe I can find them in an asian market. I thought it'd be fun to make a noodle soup of some sort. I'm very picky about taste so I'll report back once I've had a chance to taste these!!
hirezmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 08:34 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

I agree Mary....and since they run around $1.00 a bag, there would be little loss.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:56 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mule_Freak
Stats: 145/125-130/135
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: Oct. 2003
These sound good, I looked at another site that talked about these noodles and told how to prepare them so they dont "weep" on your plate when you make them. I stopped this a.m at my Meijers store, they have a pretty good selection of Asian Foods, they had tons and tons of noodles, but not this
Shiratake. So my best bet to find them would be look for a Japanesse food store?? Has anyone ordered them on line ? I get a bit scared to order on line never sure if it is a reputable company I am dealing with. Will do a search on the web and see if I can find a local type Japan/Asian food store.

In Loving memory of my "Queen of England"
Irene J. Jackson miss you Mum

I my Scottish Terrier Quinn
From the land of Heather

Be a Voice for the Voiceless
Say NO to animal abuse!!!
Mule_Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 11:48 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: makeupmonsterdog
Stats: 23(ish)% Body Fat/15% Body Fat/15% Body Fat
WOE: Low Carb
I just noticed that the Shirataki Noodles I bought from local Low Carb store have an expiration date of 11/20/2004 on them!

I am pretty annoyed--with both the store for selling them so far past the date and myself for not thinking to look for an expiration before I bought them

Anyway, do you guys think they would be okay that far past their date? I'm thinkin' no, but hoping yes!
makeupmonsterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 06:33 PM   #17
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: akmd65
Stats: 182/182/150
WOE: South Beach - Phase 1
Start Date: 6/24/2010
grrr....i still cant find these anywhere. anyone in south jersey/philly area know of anywhere???

thanks!!!!
akmd65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:56 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: loveispeakincode
Stats: 180/132/127
WOE: Somersize/Atkins
Start Date: (around) 4/1/2010
ugh im dealing with the expiration date issue too..afraid to try it..
but heres what the website says

Can the noodles be eaten after the expiration date?

Yes. The noodles do last beyond their suggested shelf life but we recommend following the date. If they have been refrigeratated and if the noodle shape is still intact, they are fine to eat for a period o 2-3 months after the date. After a period of time, the noodles dissolve back into Glucomannan powder they are made from and then can no longer be consumed.
loveispeakincode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:34 PM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: pbeaulieu
miracle noodle

I just joined this forum and look forward to visiting it often. In looking at this string of messages, I have tried the Miracle Noodle and like them pretty much. I order them from
miraclenoodle.com
Certainly lots of variety. Have checked my local stores in Portland Maine area and haven't found them. They are pricier I'm sure on the internet, but I like the variety and convenience. I recently made a sesame noodle recipe using them and bulking it with some bean sprouts. Very tasty. Definitely there is a texture issue and once you rinse them from the package and get past the "fishy" smell they aren't so bad.
pbeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:02 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyTwinsMom View Post
I agree Mary....and since they run around $1.00 a bag, there would be little loss.

Honestly, they were too much like chewing on rubber bands for me.
My dogs wouldn't even eat them.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:33 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
I buy mine from Netrition. I like the miracle rice the best. Make sure after rinsing them to pan fry for a few minutes.
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:35 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbeaulieu View Post
I just joined this forum and look forward to visiting it often. In looking at this string of messages, I have tried the Miracle Noodle and like them pretty much. I order them from
miraclenoodle.com
Certainly lots of variety. Have checked my local stores in Portland Maine area and haven't found them. They are pricier I'm sure on the internet, but I like the variety and convenience. I recently made a sesame noodle recipe using them and bulking it with some bean sprouts. Very tasty. Definitely there is a texture issue and once you rinse them from the package and get past the "fishy" smell they aren't so bad.
to LCF!! I really like the shiratake noodles and rice. I generally order mine from Netrition along with other items I can't find locally. I rinse mine in hot water for about a minute and then dry them in a hot skillet for about 7 - 8 minutes. I've been on a miracle rice kick all this week . My DH is beginning to get curious about what I'm eating

Here is a link to a "shiratake" thread up at the top of this section:

Everything Shiratake...

You might want to post your recipe in that thread so it doesn't get lost as easily. You will also see other threads with interesting ingredients which have been "stickied" to the top so they can be found easily.
Mobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:52 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: marieze
Stats: 376/199/180
WOE: My way low carb!
Start Date: July 11th 2003
Here's my think with the shirataki noodles...

I can buy them at our local grocery in the refrigerated veggie area. They are made with tofu. I first tried the spaghetti and they were good...tried the fettuccini and barf they were too thick and therefore too rubbery.

Made the spaghetti ones again last night with shrimp scampi and they were fabulous. I believe this was the key...

Put them into a colander and ran them under hot water for about 10 minutes...then I dried them with a paper towel. When mixed with the garlic butter sauce with parmesan cheese the texture was fine and they were delicious.

When you first open the package they smell fishy, but another poster said they aren't fishy but that the smell is the calcium or ascorbic acid or something...

Good luck!
marieze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:52 AM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: h82bl8
Stats: 220/170
WOE: what works for me
Start Date: Apr. 2013
I place them in a collander and run cold water over them for amount 2 min. In the meantime I have about a 1/4 of a cup of water boiling in a pan. I place the noodles in the boiling water and let them boil for about 1 minute. Then I rinse them again and add them to whatever sauce I am cooking. This is for the Miracle Noodles. Yes they smell very "fishy" but they do not taste that way at all.
h82bl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:18 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: goheels
WOE: Low carb woe
Start Date: January 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbeaulieu View Post
miraclenoodle.com
Amazon has them, of course you have to order 6 packs, the rice is good.
goheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:00 PM   #26
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: AvaLouise
I love these things :)

I found these on Amazon.com, and I read all of the negative reviews, and was SO hesitant to order these noodles, but I was SERIOUSLY desperate for some sort of noodle. hahahaha. I am thankful for the negative reviews however since they had me expecting the worst. I was so pleasantly surprised to find that following some of the positive reviewers recipes, they were a God-send for low carbers. I've included one of my own concoctions at the end of this review.

Fishy smell? Yeah, but like others have written, if you rinse them it goes away, and after drying them off (I dry them off on a hot frying pan with no oil) the smell is completely gone. The smell wasn't really an issue for me though, since I don't mind the fishy smell so much. I just put them in a colander and rinse for a few seconds while I jostle them around under the water stream (maybe 20-30 seconds)

True, the texture isn't exactly like the texture of traditional noodles, but I have to agree with the other optimists...It's an awesome alternative.

So, my favorite recipe is for one serving, and a total of 5 net carbs. This includes an entire package of the Fettucini style Miracle Noodles (yes...I eat the whole package. hahaha):

Get the following ingredients ready before throwing the noodles on the hot frying pan
2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons unsweetened heavy cream
2 tablespoons Campbell's Cream of Chicken and Mushroom soup
1 teaspoon of a low carb Szechuan seasoning (they're not listed as low carb, you just have to find one with a low to no sugar content. The one I use has less than 1 gram of carbs per teaspoon)
50 grams (1.8 ounces) of raw broccoli
30 grams (1.1 ounces) of raw spinach
113.4 grams (4 ounces) of chopped chicken (I like to buy the already cooked, rotisserie chickens from Costco)

Rinse the noodles, and then put them in a hot frying pan to dry off
Once the noodles are dry, add the Szechuan seasoning until the noodles are coated, add the heavy cream, the Cream of Chicken and Mushroom soup, and then the water followed by the chicken.

Allow the chicken to warm up before adding the veggies.

I add the broccoli and the spinach last, but just enough to get them coated with the creamy sauce, 'cause I like my veggies crunchy.
AvaLouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:29 AM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
I like the shiritaki noodles with tofu added (the opaque ones). But I don't like the translucent ones (yam only based) in anything but soups.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:16 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Perdita
Stats: 215/150/150
WOE: LC/IF
I still use the ones with tofu as well, from time to time. Usually the spaghetti style or the fettucine style.

For prep, I rinse them well in hot (not boiling water), drain well/press with paper towels. I then dry them further in a hot pan, and sometimes add a sprinkle of carbalose flour or something similar (to help sauces stick to them).

I had tried many times in the past to make spaghetti carbonara with them, and eventually realized that if you 'cook' the carbonara over heat a bit longer than you would do with real wheat pasta, the sauce will still eventually thicken up very nicely.

They're carried by both Whole Foods and my local grocery chain.
Perdita is offline   Reply With Quote