Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2005, 04:26 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ska53
Stats: 201/185/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Re-inducted 4/26/09
Stevia vs. Stevia Plus

Is there a difference? I have Stevia but have never seen Stevia Plus. Can I use this where it calls for Plus? Had never really used anything besides Spenda but am just starting out again. Thanks!
ska53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2005, 10:17 PM   #2
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: scott123
Stats: 245/220/205
Start Date: 2/6/04
Sharon, there's a lot of really nasty tasting brands of stevia out there. Steviaplus just happens to be one brand that a lot of people like. Now brand stevia extract is popular as well. Besides those two, there aren't a great number of well received brands of Stevia.

Which brand is yours?

The only way to know for certain if you're stevia is up to snuff is to taste it. The best way to do this is to add a little to bit to water (a set amount like a drop or a pinch in say 1/4 C. water), taste it, add another drop/pinch, taste it, and continue into it becomes bitter/unpalatable. If a tiny bit tastes bad, then you know you've got a bad brand of stevia and need to search out a better one.
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 03:34 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dizneegirl
SteviaPlus is stevia concentrate with fiber (inulin) added. You can use your stevia concentrate in place of it, just not quite as much. SteviaPlus is less concentrated, because of the fiber.

This chart may help. Of course, your brand of stevia may differ in concentration...

dizneegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 05:02 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ska53
Stats: 201/185/130
Start Date: Re-inducted 4/26/09
Thanks Scott, I checked and the brand I have is Now in powder and Stevita in liquid. I haven't used it much until recently. My downfall in life has been sweets and and I did well on LC until I decided that one cookie every now and then wouldn't hurt me. Now that some of the alternative sweetners are out that don't cause laxative effects, I am happily losing weight again and having my cake and eating it too. I now have on hand, Erythitol, xylitol, FiberFit, Diabetisweet and Stevia in addition to Splenda. I think I can soar with the eagles now . . . as soon as the substitutions start making sense! Thanks so much for you help on all the recipes.

Dizneegirl, I am printing out your referenc chat as help! Thanks, now I will know how much whenever I decide which one to use.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:12 AM   #5
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: scott123
Stats: 245/220/205
Start Date: 2/6/04
From what I hear, those are great brands of stevia, so yes, you should be able to sub them for the stevia plus, as long as you have sweetening equivalents for them.

Muliple sweeteners are a wonderful thing Especially non laxating non stalling sweeteners like liquid splenda, erythritol and stevia.

Now all you need is some polyd and you'll be all set
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote