Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2005, 12:46 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Compassionate
Stats: 195?/195/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 21, 2005
Corn Bread~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello everyone,

I've checked the recipe board, and I've already done a search on the message boards. Does anyone have a good corn bread recipe that they've tried and is pleased with?? Oh...and I need a corn bread recipe that does NOT use carbquick. I wanted to use it soooo bad. But our cardiologist advised us not to, because it has partially hydrogenated oil in it. The recipe that I found on the recipe board, didn't have any reviews, so I'm wondering how good it is. Does anyone have a corn bread recipe that they've TRIED and liked??

Thank you kindly to anyone who responds.

Compassion
Compassionate is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2005, 01:09 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compassionate
Hello everyone,

I've checked the recipe board, and I've already done a search on the message boards. Does anyone have a good corn bread recipe that they've tried and is pleased with?? Oh...and I need a corn bread recipe that does NOT use carbquick. I wanted to use it soooo bad. But our cardiologist advised us not to, because it has partially hydrogenated oil in it. The recipe that I found on the recipe board, didn't have any reviews, so I'm wondering how good it is. Does anyone have a corn bread recipe that they've TRIED and liked??

Thank you kindly to anyone who responds.

Compassion
The new CarbQuik (3# box) has been reformulated for some time now. ZERO added trans fats or hydrogenated oils.

That being said, just sub finely ground almonds (almond 'flour') for the carbquik if you really want to.
theislandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 01:33 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Reallyyyyyyyyyy?? Ok...thanks Islandgirl!! I'll try the carbquick.

Blessings,
Compassion
Old 04-12-2005, 03:53 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 212/200 /goal 150
WOE: Lowcarb
you could use soy grits instead
Tater Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 04:35 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Well Islandgirl ((SIGH)), I just got back from Kroger. The carbquick that is sold there, has PARTIALLY HYDRONATED soy bean oil. So much for that.

Blessings,

Compassion
Old 04-12-2005, 05:51 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SSin-Deb
Stats: 245/164 /160 ~ 6'1"
WOE: HCG R4P2 (previous Somersizer)
Start Date: April, 2008 (Somersize 2-01)
Hmm ~ Does anyone know what happened to Sherrie's recipe site? Here's a recipe she posted and I remember it was getting very good reviews:

Sherrie’s Buttermilk Corn Bread

***Looks and tastes like the real thing, you won't know the difference, and no soy taste!! And no, I'm not kidding! Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

1 8oz Pkg cream cheese
3 eggs
3 tbsp Splenda
1/3 cup Atkins Bake Mix *see below for making your own
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup Soy Grits (Bob's Red Mills Brand)
1/4 cup buttermilk
2 tbsp Bacon Grease melted** see below how to do this
Beat cream cheese with mixer until blended smooth, add the remaining ingredients (see below for bacon grease) and let sit for 5 minutes before using.
Cast Iron Skillet:
Preparing the pan, this is a southern thing, so if you have never done this don't despair...it's easy! Preheat the oven with the cast iron skillet in side for 5 to 10 minutes. Remove to stove top and add 2 tbsp bacon grease, return to oven. Once melted remove the pan and turn to coat the sides of the pan, pour the remaining grease in your batter and mix well.
Pour the batter into greased pan and return to oven, cook until golden brown on top!
If you don't have a cast iron skillet...just grease a 9X 12 pan and pour in mixture, don't forget to add the grease to your batter!
Slice and serve with a big ole pat of butter! This recipe nearly brought tears to my eyes, I'm delighted to share such a winner with everyone!
Makes 10 large Slices @ 3.3 carbs per slice

Faux Atkins Bake Mix
1 cup soy flour
2 cups soy protein isolate
2 tablespoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons Splenda
Sift together then store and use as you would Dr. A's. It's much cheaper and things come out about the same.
SSin-Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 05:54 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Wine2
Stats: 5'7 53 y.o.189/175/165 (size:14,12,10)
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 12/26/11
Have you tried the Atkins cornbread mix? I really like it, but some don't.
Wine2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 06:04 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Oh thanks Ladies! S-deb, thanks for the recipe. I'll try that! My mom always makes corn bread in her cast iron skillet. I sure miss it. So now I'll get to eat some again. See...I'm at the point now where I am convinced that there is no reason for getting off the low carb woe. Somebody always comes along and helps me find a low carb alternative. Thanks Wine2. But nope, I haven't tried any of the bake mixes. But...since you say Atkins has a corn bread mix, I'll eventually end up trying it. Thanks Ladies!!!

Blessings,
Compassion
Old 04-12-2005, 07:28 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mahyde
Stats: 119/110/110
WOE: moderate carbs/Zone
Start Date: April 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wine2
Have you tried the Atkins cornbread mix? I really like it, but some don't.
Atkins is the only cornbread mix I use. Its yummy!
mahyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 09:15 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lgpars
Stats: 222/208/130
WOE: AtkinsO
Start Date: Oct. 2011
Sherrie's Cornbread Recipe is the BOMB!!! Wonderful!!!!!
lgpars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 09:17 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Sherrie's website is here: http://headed-west.com/sherries_recipes.htm
Old 04-12-2005, 09:23 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Ok...thanks for the website Lgpars. I will check it out for sure. And Mahyde, I'll try that Atkins Mix too, especially when I'm being lazy or in a hurry.

Blessings,

Compassion
Old 04-13-2005, 06:47 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: makeupmonsterdog
Stats: 23(ish)% Body Fat/15% Body Fat/15% Body Fat
WOE: Low Carb
I have a bag of the Atkins cornbread/muffin mix sitting in the pantry--does anyone make it in their cast-iron skillet?
makeupmonsterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 07:13 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SSin-Deb
Stats: 245/164 /160 ~ 6'1"
WOE: HCG R4P2 (previous Somersizer)
Start Date: April, 2008 (Somersize 2-01)
Hi lgpars ~ That's the address I had too for Sherrie's website... but I cannot find the recipe section any longer, just her horse art work...

I was wondering if she has a new recipe site address? *Ü*
SSin-Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 07:42 AM   #15
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Sugar Patrol
Stats: 163.2/134.6/135
WOE: Isocaloric
Start Date: 1/1/03
Why in the world do they put hydrogenated oils in the 1 pound box and not the three pound box??
Sugar Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 08:35 AM   #16
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Bfranke
Stats: 177.5/139.5/117.5
WOE: Modified Atkins/Exercise
Start Date: 12/26/05
I think that is what they started out with, then they reformulated. I think the 3# box sells much faster. I bought my first # box, for $7! I almost croaked, but wanted to try it. Then when Netrition had their weekly special a few weeks ago, I purchased 3 3# boxes. I like it, but find that I use equal parts carbquik to Jena Marie cake flour and add baking powder to the recipe. In all the things that I have subbed like this, I have had great results.
Bette
Bfranke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 10:16 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 212/200 /goal 150
WOE: Lowcarb
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgpars
Sherrie's Cornbread Recipe is the BOMB!!! Wonderful!!!!!

I must be the only one who didn't care for Sherrie's cornbread. That 1/3 cup of Atkin's bake mix just ruined it for me, soy, soy soy oh soy lol* I just couldn't get past that awful soy taste so my batch went in the trash.

Soy protein isolate doesn't have that horrible soy aftertaste flavor like the soy flour does, so I'll use that sometimes.

I even made the faux bake mix recipe sherrie gave at the bottom of her recipe, because I had heard how bad the Atkin's bake mix was. If I was to make this recipe again, I would replace the 1/3 cup of Atkin's mix with the Atkin's cornbread mix, at least that's not so soy tasteing.

The best cornbread recipe IMO is the carbquik one, the one that you add cheese to. If you can only find the kind of CQ that has transfats then I would order from Netrition and get the 3lb box that doesn't have it. my 2 cents

Last edited by Tater Head; 04-13-2005 at 10:23 AM..
Tater Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 10:28 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compassionate
Well Islandgirl ((SIGH)), I just got back from Kroger. The carbquick that is sold there, has PARTIALLY HYDRONATED soy bean oil. So much for that.

Blessings,

Compassion
That must be pretty old stock, that's way too bad...how much do they sell it for? It just might be worth it to go to the Netrition site (they have a VERY low flat shipping rate of 4.95 per order) and get it there. Their stock turns over so fast, they've always got the latest freshest stuff.

Here's the ingredients from the box (I bought 5 of them, actually, since I can't buy the stuff anywhere around here and the shipping's so good) I received a couple of weeks ago from Netrition --
[COLOR=Blue]Ingredients: Carbalose flour (enzyme-enriched wheat, vital wheat gluten, wheat fiber, unbleached patent wheat flour, vegetable fiber, canola oil, salt, emulsifiers, enzymes, ascorbic acid, sucralose, calcium propionate), palm oil, buttermilk powder, baking powder, egg white powder, lecithin, salt, natural and artificial flavors.[/COLOR]

On the bottom of the box is a production/batch number including date of 200501913 indicating this batch is from January of this year and on the front left top is a big blue 'star' with the words "No Sugar! High Fiber! Low Sodium! No Hydrogenated Oils!, High Protein!, No Trans Fats!".

You might want to check out the date of the product in your Kroger store..., and even consider telling your store manager/customer service that the new formulation is want you want and what will sell -- I've been known to do that, tell them what's wanted. Quite often, they simply don't know...

Good luck with your hunt!
Old 04-13-2005, 10:35 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Patrol
Why in the world do they put hydrogenated oils in the 1 pound box and not the three pound box??
The CQ originally only came in a 1# box and there's tons of stock out there already.

Later they started making a 3# box for food service mostly, but everybody wanted the stuff retail too and started buying it. Not long after they started making the 3# box they reformulated (lots of public pressure and requests) to get rid of the small amount of hydrogenated oils.

Hardly anyone buys the 1# box anymore.

In the end, there's lots of old stock in 1# boxes and a little old stock in 3# boxes left out "there" in the buying world.

So they don't actually make a different formulation in the 2 sizes, but the old stock bought by stores (like Kroger's) in whatever size is still in circulation.

The SAME holds for the label issue. Old stock versus new stock, and the new stock when it's produced is PRESUMABLY going to have updated labels, though I'd like to see that stated at the website and by the CQ management team...
theislandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 12:09 PM   #20
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Sugar Patrol
Stats: 163.2/134.6/135
WOE: Isocaloric
Start Date: 1/1/03
Thanks Bfranke and Islandgirl! I wish they would just go and throw away any old transfat containing mix!
Sugar Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 05:07 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Island Girl. I think I will ask one of the store managers if they could possibly get the 3# box. The price of the 1# box was close to 6 dollars. I can't remember the exact amount. But I know it was more than 5 dollars. Maybe I'll just order the 3# box from Neitron. I just hope that is exactly what they send me. I can not have hydrogenated oils at all.

Blessings,

Compassion
Old 04-15-2005, 02:26 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kcduffer
Stats: 168/152/135
Start Date: Sept. 2002
Here's my recipe for corn bread. It uses no soy.

2 cups Carb quick
6 tablespoons corn bran, can substitute corn meal if you don't have corn bran, but it will raise the net carbs.
2 tablespoons polydextrose, keeps all that corn bran from being too dry.
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon liquid splenda
1/2 cup cream
1/2 cup carb countdown milk
1/2 cup butter, melted

Mix all ingredients in an 8X8 baking dish.

Bake 400 degree for 20 minutes in un-greased pan. Cut into 9 squares. This could also be made into muffins. I don't know how many you would get, but I think it would be more than 9.

Per Serving: 205 Calories; 18g Fat (66.8% calories from fat); 6g Protein; 14g Carbohydrate; 11g Dietary Fiber; 83mg Cholesterol; 249mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 3 Fat
kcduffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 05:20 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hookmaster7
Stats: 220/180/130
WOE: ATKINS
Start Date: JUNE 1999
There were no recipes on that link. Nice horses though.

Last edited by hookmaster7; 04-15-2005 at 05:21 PM..
hookmaster7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 11:05 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Just went to this link http://headed-west.com/sherries_recipes.htm and Sherrie's recipes were there. This is very weird. Her recipes are located on the back of the horse site though. The headed-west is the horse site. I can't figure it.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:06 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

That's funny because I've never tasted any soy in Sherrie's cornbread recipe. Even my picky husband likes it. Be sure you put the bacon grease in it.
Old 04-16-2005, 05:51 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: KatEyez44
Stats: 145/130/120 - 5'2", 34 yrs
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 1/3/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgpars
Just went to this link http://headed-west.com/sherries_recipes.htm and Sherrie's recipes were there. This is very weird. Her recipes are located on the back of the horse site though. The headed-west is the horse site. I can't figure it.
That link redirects me to her horse site. Perhaps you have an old version of her site cached? I looked all over the horse site for her recipes and couldn't find them.

I've used KCDuffer's corn bread recipe twice. The first time, I made it as listed - with 2 Tbsp polyD. They were good, but still a bit dry. The second time, I made them with 1/4 C polyD - they were incredible! So moist and yummy!
KatEyez44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 07:30 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

I contacted Sherrie about her recipe site and she said she is changing her hosting company and will hopefully be back online next month. She said she has to figure out where to put her recipe site. So we haven't lost those good recipes forever.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:46 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oliveoyl
Stats: 208/166/165
WOE: Low Carb Primal
Start Date: August 2002
If you can taste the soy in Sherrie's corn bread, try adding cheddar cheese and bacon bits. My husband (not a low-carber) says it's the best corn bread he's ever had.
oliveoyl is offline   Reply With Quote