Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Frizzled Jacama (with picture) (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/333853-frizzled-jacama-picture.html)

Beeb 04-02-2005 03:56 PM

Frizzled Jacama (with picture)

Went to a restaurant last week and on my DH's plate was Frizzled Onions. They were onions julianned and then fried.

Got to thinking, how about doing this to Jacama and putting onion powder, salt and pepper on them! Well I did it tonight and boy are they great!! Wish I had made more.

All I did was take my julianne peeler (see LindaSue's link on here for picture) and julianned a small jacama. Fried in my deep fryer until golden brown, drained on paper towel and seasoned to taste with the onion powder, salt and pepper. DH put them on his burger and said they were great. I just ate them along side my burger.

LindaSue's Link: http://users3.ev1.net/~fontlady/kitchen_gadgets.html

Here is a picture of DH's burger with the Frizzled Jacama on it.

http://tinypic.com/2k0bav

SSin-Deb 04-02-2005 04:35 PM

These look great beeb and what a good idea! I've attempted jicama chips twice now and they're difficult to get done evenly if the sizes aren't uniform. These look much easier, thanks for sharing. **

jeamevan 04-02-2005 06:41 PM

oooOoooO :) That looks great and I just happened to buy a small jicama today! My favorite way to eat them is just slicing them into carrot-like sticks and eating plain or with PB. I looove jicama!!

Beeb 04-02-2005 06:42 PM

Sorry, spelled it wrong!! :doh: It's Frizzled JICAMA!!

:laugh:

BTW these came out SO crunchy, you would not believe it!! :up:

Charski 04-02-2005 07:13 PM

Wow, looks good - I'll have to try that!

I have a Spirooli (cool kitchen gadget that spiral cuts stuff) so may do that to the jicama - sounds easier and I'm all about easy in the kitchen anyway!

Char

Sue421 04-02-2005 07:53 PM

That looks really good. Now I have to get a julienne peeler too. Thanks, Beeb.

Aediekins 04-02-2005 08:16 PM

Why not just do onions? Is Jicama that much lower in carbs?

manalu 04-02-2005 08:18 PM

What does jicama taste like? I have never had it.

ClikChik 04-03-2005 05:57 AM

Nutritional data for onions & jicama

Sweet Onions

Jicama

Wow...there is a big diff!

Motts Landing 04-03-2005 06:52 AM

Beeb... those look really tasty & how lovely for you to serve them on my dinnerware ;) (I have the same dishes!!) I love jicama but never thought of frying them. Thanks for sharing!

jezzie 04-03-2005 07:03 AM

I looked for it in two produce departments and couldn't find it. :dunno:
Is it a 'regional' food?

~jezzie

fab40 04-03-2005 07:07 AM

Jezzie,

I think Jicama is common in hispanic/Mexican cooking. You could find them at a farmer's market or possibly an ethnic grocery store.

Meg

Beeb 04-03-2005 07:40 AM

Jezzie, do you have a Stop & Shop near you, or a Shop Rite, Super G, Acme, A&P? These are the places I find my Jicama. Ask the produce manager, maybe he will stock it for you. :)

Jaideyes 04-03-2005 10:16 AM

They look great, I will try these as soon as I can find some jicama. They also might be tasty with a little cinnamon/splenda sprinkled on 'em for a sweet treat! Thanks Beeb! :)

Aediekins 04-03-2005 10:45 AM

Wow that is a big diff!

HBFD 04-03-2005 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charski
I have a Spirooli (cool kitchen gadget that spiral cuts stuff) so may do that to the jicama - sounds easier and I'm all about easy in the kitchen anyway!

Char

I was cleaning out kitchen drawers last week and I found one of these. I have never used it and I washed it and left if on the counter top thinking I have to find something to try it on since potatos are off limits :rofl: I have a Jicama in the fridge just waiting for me to peel it and try this little gadget on. What a find this thread is! Thanks OP!

Chrissy

Beeb 03-30-2010 07:24 PM

Bumping! This is an OLD thread, and the picture is gone but these are so good they are worth a try if you want to experiment with jicama. I use a JULIENNE PEELER to make these. Got it at my local kitchen store (Bed, Bath and Beyond).

I love putting them on my burgers! YUMMY!!

Linny 03-31-2010 06:00 AM

Do you know how many times I have gone to B,B&B to get the julienne peeler and forget it because I get so overwhelmed at everything else - LOLOLOLOLOL :D

Anyway, the recipe sounds interesting Beeb....thanks!!

Beeb 03-31-2010 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linny (Post 13316041)
Do you know how many times I have gone to B,B&B to get the julienne peeler and forget it because I get so overwhelmed at everything else - LOLOLOLOLOL :D

Anyway, the recipe sounds interesting Beeb....thanks!!

This is why I ALWAYS have a list anymore!! :rofl: I really love the thin, breaded and fried onions that they put on burgers at some restaurants and because onions are too carby and I won't do the breading anymore, I tried this. I gotta tell you, they are a great sub and with the onion powder and other spices you can't even tell the difference! Hope you like them when you try them!

DEEDLYNN 04-01-2010 09:11 AM

awwwwwwwww pic is gone....I wanted to see the pic... wahhhhhhhhhhhhh

Beeb 05-27-2010 08:28 PM

Post Booboo, sorry!:blush::blush::laugh:

Jennifer Eloff 05-28-2010 11:23 AM

Waaah, me too - can't see the pic! Sounds nice though. Daikon (radish) apparently makes a good potato substitute in stews. Wonder if it would work here? Wait a minute you were trying to get something like fried onions. Okay.

lindaokc 05-28-2010 12:06 PM

I'm confused here. Could somebody help me out? I clicked on the onion link and it said 148 gms were 11 carbs or something like that, then I clicked on the Jicama link and it said 120 gms were like 11 carbs. Several have said there is such a big difference in them.....what am I missing?:confused:

Chickamomminy 05-28-2010 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindaokc (Post 13529030)
I'm confused here. Could somebody help me out? I clicked on the onion link and it said 148 gms were 11 carbs or something like that, then I clicked on the Jicama link and it said 120 gms were like 11 carbs. Several have said there is such a big difference in them.....what am I missing?:confused:

It's the fiber and sugar carbs that make the difference. Of the 11 carbs in a serving of onion, only 1 is fiber (so 10 net, or digestible, carbs), and 7 of those are sugar! With the serving of jicama, there are 11 carbs, but 6 are fiber (for a total of 5 net carbs) and only 2 of those are sugar.

lindaokc 05-28-2010 02:09 PM

Thanks, Chicamomminy, I can see it now. Don't know why I was so dense before. DOH!!:laugh: I appreciate the help.

BarbDe 06-16-2010 09:40 AM

I finally found Jicama again! I'm so glad! I dice it up with some onion and garlic and throw it in a pan with a stick of butter and roast it in the oven, 350 for at least an hour. I have it with my breakfast, as a side or in my scramble. I LOVE this stuff!
eta: found a picture! Man, I'm hungry now!!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ncantelope.jpg

Ginaaaaaa 01-14-2013 02:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I made this tonight and everyone thought it was onions!! They were crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. I cut the jicama up then put them in a bag with some onion powder, salt pepper and a dash of cayenne powder and shook it up and fried them in a pan. Went well with our burgers on almond butter rolls. :)

Thanks Beeb!!!

flossie73 01-14-2013 02:43 PM

Yay! A picture! I'm going to have to pick a jicama up next time I go shopping. I tried it before and didn't care for it... But this sounds yummy.