Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2005, 05:07 AM   #31
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Scott, the reformulation was to have supposedly cut the carbs in half not double them.

When all other food companies can legally round their carb counts DOWN, why would Tova alone be required to round theirs UP? That makes no sense and isn't to their benefit.
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2005, 05:20 AM   #32
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: bybs54
Stats: 58 pounds GONE!
WOE: Low Carb/Calorie Aware
Start Date: 1-27-03 GOAL 12-03! Still Maintaining!! :)
Scott.....I, myself called the company....talked with whoever they referred me to....and she wasn't sure....so she transferred me to someone else. This young girl basically stated the same information that you had said.....when I asked her to explain it to mean, she said "Its on the chart I have". When I gave her my calculations and asked her to explain hers, she was doing some figuring and couldn't get it to work out. She asked me if I could be put on hold while she got her supervisor....sure thing. When she came back she said "he was out of the building, but I called him on his cell and you are correct, it is 13 carbs." I said OK and I said we were having a discussion on a message board I belong to and she said something along the line of "oh Chef Greg and Tova Rep are on there".....I said yes....and she said "well he said its 13 carbs and we sent out an email to another consumer who had questioned the carb count" I asked for a copy of that email....she sent it.

So I was assuming when she said Chef Greg and TovaRep in one sentence and then said "he said it is 13 carbs" that she meant she had talked to TOVA rep. Then when I got the copy of the email....again I assumed the Zack guy who sent it was the knowledgeable source...ie Tova rep....I guess not.....my bad. You know what they say about assuming....

If you have checked with Shannon....and she said she talked with the president of the company....so be it. I would think he would know....

I guess I tend to believe and go with what Chef Greg said and evidently the President of the company that makes the product. Makes no sense to me that they would tell us 13 if its actually 6.1. Who would want to advertise a higher carb count to people looking for a low carb product?

I understand rounding....but it does work both ways....you can round up to a higher number or down to a lower number. Like I said with my Bob's Red Mill example.....0 carbs actually equaled 5.5 net carbs in a cup.

When you talked to the company, did they tell you 13 carbs also for a cup?

And since you won't take Chef Greg or the President of the company's information....I am not sure who you can turn to.....

But if you ever find a current source that can verify it being only 6.1, let me know.....

Hey maybe you can ask Tom at Netrition to do a lab verification on it....like they did for La Tiara taco shells. (they advertised 1 net carb - Tom had a study done and it turns out they were 4 carbs each).

Course I don't want Netrition, Tom or Carbquick people to get upset and not sell the product through Netrition. I love the product.

So Scott....good luck on your search....and thanks for your help with many recipe and sweetener questions, you have certainly been a great help.

But I am going to count it as the 13 net carbs per cup I have been told by Chef Greg and the President of the Carbquick company.....slipping away into my kitchen....LOL

GOOD FRIENDS ARE LIKE STARS....YOU DON'T ALWAYS SEE THEM, BUT YOU ALWAYS KNOW THEY ARE THERE!!!!!!

I miss ya Pop...Oct. 26, 1918 - Oct. 19, 2006 & Mom...Aug. 20, 1928 - March 30, 2009. Please watch over us all.
bybs54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 07:47 AM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 212/200 /goal 150
WOE: Lowcarb
I think we really need to get to the bottom of this. I told my son who lives in Texas about it now being 13 net per cup. He said he might have to stop using it then. He said Mom, I'm trying too hard to lose weight and this product isn't worth messing that up. There is a "BIG" difference between 6.1 and 13 net. per cup
Tater Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 09:14 AM   #34
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Even using the higher carb count, everything I've made with Carbquik is still very low in net carbs per serving. Most are between 2 and 4 net carbs and you can't get much better than that. By the time you divide the amount of Carbquik among servings, you really aren't using all that much. Using the lower net carb count might shave a carb off per serving, which isn't a big deal in most cases.
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 01:06 PM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aediekins
Stats: St/199 Curr/163 Goal/155
WOE: Low-Carb
Start Date: 8 more lbs to go!!
Quote:
Originally posted by LindaSue
Even using the higher carb count, everything I've made with Carbquik is still very low in net carbs per serving. Most are between 2 and 4 net carbs and you can't get much better than that. By the time you divide the amount of Carbquik among servings, you really aren't using all that much. Using the lower net carb count might shave a carb off per serving, which isn't a big deal in most cases.
I'm with you on that Linda Sue. Most recipes, by the time you divide the serving sizes it only makes 1 carb of difference.

13 carbs for 1 whole cup really isn't that bad!

If people are still wary of it... they can mix in some almond flour or ground flax to be sure of lower carbs.

In fact, just to experiment, I made your "easy golden cake" from your website only I used 3/4 cup CQ, 1/2 cup golden flax meal and 1/4 cup almond meal. It came out tasting great.

I think mixing "flours" is the best remedy for most baking. Then you get the best of all worlds!

Low-Carb foods are not created equal
Enjoy- cream, butter, coconut oil, olive oil, fresh chicken, fish, beef, pork, bacon, sausage, cheese, LC veggies, berries/melon, dressings, stevia, chocolate (75% cocoa) and red wine
Avoid - Mayo, canola oil, too much protein, processed LC foods (tortillas, candy, shakes, bars) Splenda and other artificial sweeteners, corn products (xanthan gum, dextrose, maltodextrin)
Aediekins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 09:10 PM   #36
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: argo2d
Quote:
Originally posted by LindaSue

i echo this sentiment. why obsess when i doubt looking at the ingredients that they are the bad carbs like SAs and maltodextrin and other starches. this product actually seems pretty 'nutritious' as far as human-made products go
argo2d is offline   Reply With Quote