Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2005, 06:44 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kglowack
Stats: 165/158/135 @ 5'8
Start Date: October 2003. Restart July 2008
Pierogi

This originated in the CQ pop tart thread. Anyway, I don't think it's possible to create boiled pierogi from CQ since it seems to just dissolve in water but I looked through my huge Polish cookbook and I found some recipes that might be doable. These are not the same pierogi you might be familiar with -- I've never had the variations I'm about to reveal but it may be worth trying.

Fired Pierogi
Spread 2C flour along the bottom of a lrge, dry skillet, sprinkle with 1t. salt and heat, stirring frequently, until flour is lightly browned. Remove from heat. slowly stir in just enough boiling water to bind the flour into a dough, return to heat, and mix well until dough comes away from the skillet. Set aside to cool. roll dough by hand on board into a long, narrow, even roll. slice roll into 1/2 inch rounds one at a time, flatten between palms into a small pancake, fill with a spoonful of filling of choice, fold over, and pinch edges together. Fry in 1C hot lard, vegetable shortening, or oil to a nice golden brown on both sides.

Yeast-raised pierogi, oven baked
Scald 1/2C milk, pour into bowl, and cool to lukewarm. Crumble in 1/2 cake yeast and mash with fork (or use 1/2 packet dry yeast), add 1t sugar, 5T flour and mix ingredients. Mixture should have the consistency of thick pancake batter, so stir in a bit more milk if needed. Let stand in a warm place to rise. To yeast mixture add 2 lightly beaten eggs, 2 1/2C sifted flour, and 1t salt; work into a dough. Knead well until air blisters appear, gradually add 1/2 stick melted butter and continue to knead until it's fully absorbed and dough is smooth and silky. Place dough in a bowl, cover with clean dish towel, and let rise in warm place until doubled in bulk (about 1 hr). Roll out dough about 1/4 inch thick, cut into circles and fill with a filling of choice. Fold in half and pinch edges together to seal. Bake in 350 oven about 30 min., or until golden brown.

Yeast-raised sour cream dough pierogi
Dissolve 1.2 packet dry yeast in 1/4C hot (105-115) water. beat 4 eggs with 1t salt and 1 T melted butter until nice and fluffy. combine the yeast mixture and egg mixture, beat in 1C fork plended sour cream, and gradually add 3 3/4-4C flour, or enough to get a firm but pliable dough, stirring constantly. Transfer to lightly floured breadboard and knead well until air blisters appear. Place dough in a bowl, cover with clean dish towel, and let rise in warm place until doubled in bulk (about 1 hr). Roll out dough about 1/4 inch thick, cut into circles and proceed as above.

I will post filling recipes later tonight since I'm already late to work

Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2005, 07:43 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Beachgirl
Stats: Nunya
WOE: Paleo
I'd like to hear results if anyone tries this.
Beachgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 10:00 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Pierogi fillings, part 1

Savory cheese pierogi filling
Combine 1lb ground farmer cheese (or dry cottage cheese) with 1 whole egg, 1 extra egg yolk, and salt&pepper to taste. 1t sugar may be added (optional). If nether farmer cheese or dry cottage cheese are available, drain and press out all the moisture from ordinary creamed cottage cheese, which can be pulverized in a blender. If filling is too wet, stir in some bread crumbs. Variations: Add 1-2T finaly chopped chives or other spices (feel free to improvise).

Savory cheese pierogi filling another way
Fork-blend 3T sour cream with 1 egg yolk and salt&pepper. Mix with 1 lb ground farmer cheese (or dry cottage cheese) into a smooth filling. Variations: 1 whole egg or 2 egg yolks may be also used and the amount of sour cream may be increased slightly. The main thing is that the filling should not be mushy. A finely chopped onion browned in butter or some chopped chives may be added.

Sweet cheese pierogi filling
Combine 1lb ground farmer cheese with 1/4-1/3C sugar, 1 egg, 1 extra yolk, 1/2t vanilla extract and a dash of salt.

Sweet cheese pierogi filling another way
Combine 1lb ground farmer cheese with 1 egg yolk, 1-2T melted butter, and several T sour cream. Add sugar to taste a sprinkle with a little cinnamon.

Lithuanian-style cheese pierogi filling
Combine 1lb ground farmer cheese with 2 eggs, 1T butter, and 1t tarragon. Salt&pepper to taste.

Yellow cheese pierogi filling
Combine 2C grated yellow cheese (tilsit, edam, gouda, munster, brick, or similar) with 2 eggs and several T bread crumbs, enough to get a moist but firm filling. Salt&pepper to taste.

Sauerkraut & mushroom pierogi filling
Soak 1oz dried Polish mushrooms* 2-3 hrs in 1 1/2C water then cook in the same water until tender. Chop mushrooms fine, return to water and cook to reduce liquid. When you have no more than 2T of almost syrupy mushroom liquid left, switch off heat and set aside. Rinse well in cold water 2 well-packed C sauerkraut**, drain in colander, press out excess moisture, chop fairly fine, place in pot, scald with boiling water to cover, and cook on medium heat 20 minutes. Meanwhile simmer 1 finely chopped onion in 2T butter until transparent or slightly browned. To sauerkraut add the mushrooms and their liquid, the browned onions, and (optional) 1/2t sugar. Simmer on low heat under cover another 30 min or until tender, stirring frequently to prevent burning. When tender, uncover and allow moisture to steam away. Salt&pepper to taste the transfer to sieve, pressing out all moisture. This is a favorite Wigilia (Christmas Eve) dish. Note: For non-fast days, sauerkraut may be cooked in meat stock and onions can be fried up with bacon or salt-pork nuggets.

*Here's some info on Polish mushrooms:
http://www.zakopane-life.com/news/ne...lish_Mushrooms but I've used cremini mushrooms before with success.

**Make sure you get good quality sauerkraut. I've yet to find commercial sauerkraut that I would like but if you don't have access to a Russian or Polish store that sells homemade sauerkraut I'd go with Polish-style sauerkraut in a jar (I think Vlasic makes it as well as some other company -- Snow-Flo or something like that). Stay away from canned generic sauerkraut!
kglowack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 10:22 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Pierogi fillings, part 2

Cabbage pierogi filling
Shred 1lb (small head) of cabbage, scald with boiling water to cover, bring to boil, and cook 3 min. Drain. Cover with boling water again and cook on med. heat 20 min. In a skillet simmer 1 chopped onion in 3T butter until tender, add cabbage to onions, stir to mix, salt&pepper to taste, and simmer under cover until tender. Uncover and simmer a while longer, stirring constantly until moisture evaporates. Transfer to sieve and press out excess moisture. Chop fine or grind. Besides s&p, other seasoning possibilities include 1t chopped dill or 1/4t crushed caraway seeds.

Cabbage & mushroom pierogi filling
Proceed as above but simmer 8oz or more washed, chopped fresh mushrooms with the onions in 3T butter or bacon drippings until tender before adding to cabbage.

Fresh mushroom pierogi filling
Wash and chop and simmer 16oz fresh wild, or store-bought mushrooms in 4T butter together with 2 finely chopped onions under cover for about 15min, stirring occasionally. Uncover and continue simmering until moisture evaporates and mushrooms begin to sizzle. Run mushrooms and onions through meat grinder together with 1 stale, unsoaked kaiser roll (I've used breadcrumbs before instead). Add 1 egg to mixture, mix well, s&p, add a little chopped parsley (optional), and firm up with a little breadcrumbs if necessary.

Meat filling
Grind 1lb assorted, cooked leftover meat. Simmer 2 finely chopped onions in 2T butter until slightly browned. Soak a stale kaiser roll in 1/2C milk until soggy and grind together with onions. Combine ingredients well, s&p to taste. Other seasoning possibilities: garlic powder, paprika, dash of beaf seasoning, etc.

Egg pierogi filling
Lightly brown 2 chopped onions in 2-3T butter and grind together with 6 or more HB eggs. To mixture add 2T breadcrumbs, 1 small raw egg, 1-2T chopped dill, and/or parsley and s&p to taste.

Blueberry pierogi filling
Fill pierogi with blueberries. That's it

Poppyseed pierogi filling
Scald 1C poppyseeds with boiling water and cook covered on very low heat until poppyseeds fall apart when rubbed between fingers. Drain well and run through grinder 2-3 times. Mix with 1/2C powdered sugar, 1/2C ground or finely chopped walnuts, 1 beaten egg, and 1/2t grated orange rind.
*The original recipe also had 1/2C raisins but I omitted them since they're pretty high in carbs.

There are a lot more fillings but I skipped the high carb ones such as all potatoe varieties, lentil, bean, buckwheat, plum, prune, apple, etc. as well as some that just sounded nasty such as fish filling or lung filling

Last edited by kglowack; 03-11-2005 at 10:45 AM..
Old 03-11-2005, 10:24 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

BTW, I just realized that I made a typo in the first post. These should be "Fried pierogi" not "Fired pierogi"
Old 03-11-2005, 04:22 PM   #6
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: scott123
Stats: 245/220/205
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2/6/04
Wow, thanks Karolina!

Can I ask what the name of your Polish cookbook is? I don't own any cookbooks, but that sounds like one I might seek out.

The fried pierogie sound a lot like pate de choux, which, as a far as I know, chefgreg has successfully done with CQ.

It's possible that with enough gluten CQ might hold together when boiled. This might be a job for resistant starch/wpi as well.

The fillings are all wonderful ideas to combine with low carb pasta. A pasta casserole is not as life changing as biting into a filled pierogie, but unless we can come up with a decent homemade pasta, I think it'll be the closest approximation. I can't eat dreamfields, but for those that can, all these fillings would be great combined with it.
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 05:11 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Scott -- the title of the book is Polish Heritage Cookery by Robert and Maria Strybel. I got it used a while ago so I don't remember how much I paid for it. The price listed on the book is $39.95 but I'm sure you'd be able to find it cheaper than that. It's hardcover and it's almost 900 pages long so if you can get it cheap it would be a great investment. I make some recipes a little differently than they but it's because for some things such as hunter stew, there are pretty much as many different variations as there are people making them so I just follow my family's old recipes in those cases.
Old 03-12-2005, 12:09 AM   #8
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: scott123
Stats: 245/220/205
Start Date: 2/6/04
Thanks, Karolina! I'll keep my eye out for that.
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 08:54 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lmt_24fan
Stats: 194/GOOOOOOOAAAALLL/135
Start Date: July 2004
Ooohhhh..I'm gonna try the fried ones this week -- haven't decided on a filling yet...

THANKS for all the options!

Lynn
lmt_24fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 01:19 AM   #10
Old Wise One

Gallery: jezzie
Stats: choosing to be scale-free;
WOE: (48% C; 33% Fat; 19% P; )
Start Date: 11/22/11 - MediterrAsian, Flexitarian, Oz-ish
My grandmother made pierogi with potatoes and pot cheese (and sauerkraut for my mother). I never see 'pot' cheese perhaps it's the same as farmer cheese? We ate them boiled with sour cream the first day and fried the second. I never learned how to make them.

Oh ... With the leftover dough she made little 'worms' for me and my sister that she called 'babulki' (sp?). lol.

~jezzie

[color=FF 00 FF]If the past has taught us anything it is that every cause brings its effect, every action has a consequence. - Denis Waitley[/color]
jezzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 06:45 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Lynn -- let us know how these turn out. You may also want to fine Chef Greg's recipe that Scott was referring to for some pointers on subbing CQ for flour in this particular case.

Jezzie -- I think pot cheese is a middle ground between cottage cheese and farmer cheese. It has less moisture than the former but more than the latter. I'm not sure but it may also be what's sometimes referred to as curd cheese

BTW, if anyone's interested, I can post recipes for homemade curd/farmer cheeses. I haven't tried them myself but it could be interesting to see how they turn out.