Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2005, 10:17 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PhillyTwinsMom
WOE: LowCarb & Patience
Start Date: It's a fresh start everyday...!
Cauliflower Shredding for faux Rice???

I wanted to try the faux rice but do not have a food processor with the shredding blade.
Does anyone have any other suggestions to get the same results?

Also, any recommendations on a resonable priced dependable unit?

Philly
PhillyTwinsMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2005, 10:31 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: pocahontas
I grate mine a regular ol' cheese grater.
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 10:36 AM   #3
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I saw that Macy's had the Cuisinart for $89, I think Amazon does too. I've had my Cuisinart about 25 years now and it's still going strong! I love that shredding blade.

But yeah, a regular box grater would do it, or you could chop it up very fine with a knife.

Char
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 10:37 AM   #4
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I just looked and Amazon has the 7 cup Cuisinart for $79. Good deal!

Char
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 10:56 AM   #5

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Yes, you can do it with a box grater, but you'll want to put it in your kitchen sink to do it or you'll have tiny bits of cauliflower all over your kitchen. I'm not exaggerating, LOL.
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 11:14 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks everyone...

I saw the $79 deal on Amazon. I wasn't sure if that was a fair price or not.

Also, is that a pretty good cup size. I probably won't use it everyday but I want to make sure when I have my cooking moments (I have those sometimes:blush: ) it will be the right size. Don't want anything to big and overbearing but don't want something that you can only get about 4 strawberries into. For the rice receipe it says use 1/2 head of cauliflower, so would this work OK?
Old 03-04-2005, 11:16 AM   #7

PhillyTwinsMom, that's the Cuisinart food processor that I have and that's what I paid for mine (minus 20% at Bed Bath & Beyond). I love it. It's not huge, but it's big enough to grate at least half a large head of cauliflower.
Old 03-04-2005, 12:08 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks!!!

Linda, if it's something you can depend on I know it's a good product
Old 03-04-2005, 02:00 PM   #9

Gallery: auntie3
Stats: 217 / bouncing around / 140
WOE: Low Carb/ Lower GI
Start Date: Jan 24/01
If you do need to use a box grater, spray it first with Pam, inside and out. It will help to release the cauliflower that otherwise sticks to it. (Been there and done that!)

auntie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 04:25 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

OOOHHHH THANK YOU AUNTIE3!!!!

you have helped save me from a major headache. I could see me now....frustrated and throwing the grater in the trash
Old 03-05-2005, 05:34 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TXkim
Stats: 5'8" 155/127/125
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2003
I use one of those hand cranked salsa makers and it does a great job!
TXkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 05:44 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sdbeeme
Stats: 250/up one, down one/150
Start Date: Re-committed 8/04
dumb question.......is the shredding blade the one that has holes like a grater???

Thanks!!!!!
sdbeeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 07:42 PM   #13
Formerlychubchick

Gallery: CurveControl
Stats: 200/172.4/130
WOE: LC JUDD/TOPS
I love my salad shooters- I have the reg and Deluxe!
CurveControl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 02:49 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

sdbeeme
It's not a dumb question. and I'm sure everyone is willing to help.

Yes the shredding side of the blade would look the same as the grater, with the small holes.

Philly!!
Old 03-06-2005, 04:14 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sdbeeme
Stats: 250/up one, down one/150
Start Date: Re-committed 8/04
Thank you Philly!!!

Sharon
sdbeeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 04:19 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DivaWannaBe
Stats: 346/336/150
Start Date: 02/9/12
Faux rice? sounds interesting. Here in Louisiana, we eat a TON of rice. I can sub the cauliflower shreds for rice??!!
Explain how to a 'challenged' cook, please! Are we shredding raw cauliflower, then cooking? Cooking, then shredding?
My little brain is going into overdrive, thinking of new things to cook! Please help me by walking me through the basics of cooking faux rice!!!!!
DivaWannaBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 05:09 AM   #17

DivaWannaBe, here are a few recipes to get you started:

Faux Rice - this is the basic "rice" recipe

Asian Flavored Rice

Cauliflower Hash Browns

Diner "Potatoes"

Faux Hash Browns

Fried "Rice"

Mexican "Rice"

Easy Jambalaya

Tuna "Rice" Casserole

Can you guess that I eat a little cauliflower???
Old 03-07-2005, 08:25 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

WOW LindaSue....they all look GREAT!
Especially the Diner Potatoes,Mexican Rice and Spanish Rice w/Hamburger.

I did pick up a food processor this weekend with the shred/slice blade. I also already have a small processor with only the "S" blade. When I tried it with both appliances it seem to come out with the same results. But with the big processor, using the shredding blade, food got stuck between the blade and the cover. I did not see a major difference and using the small processor was much easier and cleaner. I'm thinking of taking the new processor back. What do you think? Do you think there really is a difference?

I picked up a head of cauliflower this weekend and did try out a few things. I started with the basic rice receipe and then used the leftovers to make shrimp fried rice. They were both awesome. The shrimp fried rice had a slightly difference taste but the texture was the same. Because the cauliflower is so bland it takes on the taste of your receipe really well. I think I will be making alot of "Rice" going forward.

Do you think I can just shred the whole head at once and keep it in a container (uncooked) or is it better to shred as needed? This way I can just grab it and mix into different things.

I think I will be making Mexican this week

Last edited by PhillyTwinsMom; 03-07-2005 at 08:45 AM..
Old 03-07-2005, 08:59 AM   #19
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Sugar Patrol
Stats: 163.2/134.6/135
WOE: Isocaloric
Start Date: 1/1/03
I LOVE Linda Sue's Chinese Fried Rice dish. Before LCing, I never gave Cauliflower a second thought. Now it is almost a staple. It is so useful.

Too bad I lost the shredding blade on my food processor. I never had a need for it before, because I ate so few veggies. I have to grate by hand, because I don't feel like buying a new one just to get another attachment.
Sugar Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 11:18 AM   #20

PhillyTwinsMom, I've never tried shredding cauliflower with the "S" blade so I'm not sure what it looks like afterward. When I use the shredding disk, it comes out in little shreds, like coleslaw. There are some pieces that are just little balls though. I think it's the shreds that make it look so much like rice. It would still taste the same cut the other way though.

It doesn't sound right that your cauliflower should get caught between the lid and the blade. I'd take it back if mine did that. I'm not saying that I don't get the occasional bit of food that does that, but it's not a major problem. It sounds like they left too much space between the blade and the cover.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:43 AM   #21

Gallery: Dreamchaser
PhillyTwinsMom - I have a question for you. Is your small processor with the s blade anything like this one ? This is the one I have. I have always wanted to try the faux rice but didn't think I could because I don't have a regular food processor. Is this small one anything like yours?? Mine is called a 3 cup compact food chopper. I don't know if that's considered to be like a small food processor or not.
Dreamchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 12:47 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamchaser
PhillyTwinsMom - I have a question for you. Is your small processor with the s blade anything like this one ? This is the one I have. I have always wanted to try the faux rice but didn't think I could because I don't have a regular food processor. Is this small one anything like yours?? Mine is called a 3 cup compact food chopper. I don't know if that's considered to be like a small food processor or not.
Does Lindasue or anybody else have any ideas on this one??
Old 03-07-2005, 12:49 PM   #23

Never mind Lindasue - I just read that you said you had never tried it with the s blade. That's what this little chopper has. Anybody else??
Old 03-07-2005, 01:05 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Dreamchaser.....
I believe mines is a 3-4 cup also. My dh bought it for me as a gift last year. I does not look like the one you post. It does not have a base. Instead, it has the cup, you put the "S" blade inside and the top is the motor. The top of the stem and the cup top mend together. There is a slow and fast button. You just lay your hand over the top and press the buttom of which speed you want. The power cord is contacted to the top.

It's very compact and neat. I like it. I use it for chopping up all my veggies, to make almond meal and i can even whip heavy cream in it. Even though it's small it serves my purpose. Alot of time I just make the LC receipes for me. The family usually hides when I start one of my experimental LC cooking session
Old 03-07-2005, 01:12 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally posted by LindaSue
PhillyTwinsMom, I've never tried shredding cauliflower with the "S" blade so I'm not sure what it looks like afterward. When I use the shredding disk, it comes out in little shreds, like coleslaw. There are some pieces that are just little balls though. I think it's the shreds that make it look so much like rice. It would still taste the same cut the other way though.

It doesn't sound right that your cauliflower should get caught between the lid and the blade. I'd take it back if mine did that. I'm not saying that I don't get the occasional bit of food that does that, but it's not a major problem. It sounds like they left too much space between the blade and the cover.
Linda....I guess you are right. The taste is the same, it's just the shape that would be different. I guess mines would be more like a coucous (sp?).
With the processor, when you put the blade on and then the lid it looks like there is about an 1/2" of space. . It goes back this week.

Thanks for all the help and advice everyone. I'm becoming a better/wiser cook thanks to all the support from this board.

Philly!
Old 03-07-2005, 01:30 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally posted by PhillyTwinsMom
Dreamchaser.....
I believe mines is a 3-4 cup also. My dh bought it for me as a gift last year. I does not look like the one you post. It does not have a base. Instead, it has the cup, you put the "S" blade inside and the top is the motor. The top of the stem and the cup top mend together. There is a slow and fast button. You just lay your hand over the top and press the buttom of which speed you want. The power cord is contacted to the top.

It's very compact and neat. I like it. I use it for chopping up all my veggies, to make almond meal and i can even whip heavy cream in it. Even though it's small it serves my purpose. Alot of time I just make the LC receipes for me. The family usually hides when I start one of my experimental LC cooking session
Thanks phillytwinsmom. I don't know whether mine would work or not. I guess I might as well try it. I just know that one time I used a hand grater and it was pretty much a disaster (at least for me).
Old 03-07-2005, 04:44 PM   #27

Strange. There is half an inch between my shredding disk and the cover too. There must be something else that's causing the problem.
Old 03-07-2005, 05:52 PM   #28

Gallery: auntie3
Stats: 217 / bouncing around / 140
WOE: Low Carb/ Lower GI
Start Date: Jan 24/01
I have the 11 cup Cuisinart, and there is definitely a bit of space between the blade and the lid. I do get stuff caught in between now and then, but I don't mind, because it takes me about 5 minutes to grate a whole head of cauliflower with it. Doing it by hand, which I have done, took about 3/4 of an hour, and I had such a mess! I'll make do with that little inconvenience.

I also have a mini chopper, but I think it would be a bit of a pain to try to do a whole head of cauliflower with it. I think the capacity is, at max, 3 cups. You'd probably have to dump it about 3 or 4 times to accommodate the volume. I know in the past when I used it to chop onions, I was very disappointed with the inconsistency of the size of the onion pieces. It may be okay with other vegges, but I honestly haven't tried it.

Auntie

Proud member of the SHRINKING VIOLETS
[/color]

[color=red]At the Canada Challenge thread every day![/color]
auntie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 06:42 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Dream
I would definately give it a try. Worst come to worst it will just be shaped different. As long as you get it shredded it will still taste the same.

I tried a single portion of the Mexican rice. It was really good. I'm just amazed at what can be done with this. I have been missing out all of this time.

Auntie....I think you are right about the convinence. It would definately take me emptying the cup several times to get a whole head shredded. I think for now it will work for me since the majority of the time I will be making 1-2 servings at a time. (my husband is not going for it ) My processor is probably a fluke. I will take it back and wait on a sale or coupon to get a better model.

Thanks....Philly
Old 03-07-2005, 07:53 PM   #30

I am gonna give it a try sometime. My little kitchenaide 3 cup chopper is real good about chopping in consistent sizes. I'm real happy with it. I agree with auntie, though that it will be a pain to have to dump it out 3 or 4 times before I can get the whole cauliflower head finished. But that's OK. I just want to be able to see if I like the "rice" for now.