Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Most Awesome Pizza (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/323787-most-awesome-pizza.html)

tyler43836 03-01-2005 06:31 PM

Most Awesome Pizza

I was craving pizza tonight...I mean REALLY craving pizza! My plans were to make LindaSue's deep dish pizza. I ended up working late and the weather is so bad I went straight home without stopping at the grocery store.
So...I made do with what I had.

The crust:
1/4 c flaxmeal
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp garlic salt
1/4 tsp onion salt
1 packet Splenda
1 tbs Italian seasoning
1 tbs grated parmesan
1 egg
2 tsp water

Mix dry ingredients, then add egg and water. Spay a dinner plate with Pam and spread mixture into plate. (Will be about the size of a 'personal pizza') Microwave for about 1 minute 40 seconds.
Slide off plate into a pam sprayed frying pan and brown both sides on high.
Place crust on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Spread pizza sauce over crust almost to edges. Top with cheese of your choice (I used a moz./jack blend) and toppings of your choice. Pepperoni and mushroom for me. Heat in oven at about 350 until cheese melts and toppings reach desired 'doneness'. Cut into 4ths and enjoy. It looks like pizza, tastes like pizza, you can pick it up and eat it like pizza, has that crunch like a thin crust pizza. I loved it....and wouldn't you know...by the time I finished making it I was hungry and ate it (the whole thing!) without taking a pic!

Purrgirl 03-01-2005 06:39 PM

Sounds yummy and EASY to make! I will definitely be trying this! Thanks for sharing!

Laura

Sweeteater 03-01-2005 06:45 PM

oh, no! No pic! ;) I guess I can understand. Maybe next time.

:)

underHiswing 03-02-2005 10:37 AM

How creative...and it sounds really tasty! It reminded me of a takeoff on your "Flax-wich" bread...thanks for sharing! :up:

Pam 03-02-2005 10:49 AM

Thanks for the recipe, Tyler! This sounds REALLY good..........

underHiswing 03-02-2005 12:47 PM

:clap: WOW, Tyler...I hadn't eaten lunch yet so I thought that I would give this a try! It was SOOOO GOOD!! (I'm still eating it as I type! :laugh:

It honestly kind of reminds me of a whole wheat pizza crust...just so tasty! I love your idea of using the flax meal! I did just some tiny tweaking. I only ended up using a half packet of Splenda (just to suit my own taste). I also didn't have garlic or onion salt so I just used powder with some salt added and also used less Italian seasoning. I lightly oiled my plate (and pan thereafter) with olive oil instead of the Pam and just threw it under the toaster oven broiler for a bit. My toppings were some parsley pesto (that I had made yesterday), along with some dabs of Hunt's sauce right from the can, mushrooms and mozzarella. Necessity is the mother of invention...you wanted pizza, used what you had on hand, and the results were delicious! This definitely is a KEEPER in my estimation!

THANKS again!! :up:

Laurie

CarolynF 03-03-2005 07:41 AM

Tyler: I'm dying to try this..Love my flaxseed..Might bake it on
my oven stone to get it crispy...

I posted this on the Goldie Board for you as our ladies love
their flax and didn't want them to miss it..

tyler43836 03-03-2005 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by underHiswing
:clap: WOW, Tyler...I hadn't eaten lunch yet so I thought that I would give this a try! It was SOOOO GOOD!! (I'm still eating it as I type! :laugh:

It honestly kind of reminds me of a whole wheat pizza crust...just so tasty! I love your idea of using the flax meal! I did just some tiny tweaking. I only ended up using a half packet of Splenda (just to suit my own taste). I also didn't have garlic or onion salt so I just used powder with some salt added and also used less Italian seasoning. I lightly oiled my plate (and pan thereafter) with olive oil instead of the Pam and just threw it under the toaster oven broiler for a bit. My toppings were some parsley pesto (that I had made yesterday), along with some dabs of Hunt's sauce right from the can, mushrooms and mozzarella. Necessity is the mother of invention...you wanted pizza, used what you had on hand, and the results were delicious! This definitely is a KEEPER in my estimation!

THANKS again!! :up:

I agree, it's a keeper. and your tweaks sound good! I really like the fact that you can get the crust crispy so you can pick it up and eat it. And you're absolutely right about the taste...I was trying to figure out what it tasted like..whole wheat crust-exactly!
And isn't it pretty?? It looks just as good as any pizza out there.

Laurie

tyler43836 03-03-2005 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by CarolynF
Tyler: I'm dying to try this..Love my flaxseed..Might bake it on
my oven stone to get it crispy...

I posted this on the Goldie Board for you as our ladies love
their flax and didn't want them to miss it..

Oh good! Pass it on. I love my flax too!

Davian 03-03-2005 09:39 AM

Oh my house smells Delish!

What a great quick recipe. DD and I just split this for lunch. I, also, used a little less Splenda but did everything else the same. It was great and I love to use my flax as well.

Thanks for sharing!

stewcarol 03-03-2005 09:49 AM

Still have unopened bag of bob's flax seed that I've never used! So, do I need to run it through the food processer, then try this recipe? Does flaxseed ground up = flaxmeal?

Tater Head 03-03-2005 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by stewcarol
Still have unopened bag of bob's flax seed that I've never used! So, do I need to run it through the food processer, then try this recipe? Does flaxseed ground up = flaxmeal?
If you have the seeds, then yes you'll need to grind them first to make meal. The food processer won't work, you'll need a coffee grinder, these seeds are hard little suckers :)

tyler43836 03-04-2005 05:03 AM

Made this again last night. I remembered to take a picture this time.....I'm no food photographer, but you get the idea!

http://tinypic.com/20fjm8

VAmomof2 03-04-2005 05:41 AM

I made this last night (just reduced the splenda) and it was yummy but a bit dry. I topped mine with ricotta, left over sauteed veggies and a little moz cheese - I think the sauce would have helped it. Next time, I might just add the toppings in the pan and cover to melt. I will also know not to crisp for so long but it is a definite keeper - I can't wait for DH to try it too. He does not lc but loves my flax bread.

Thanks Tyler!

tyler43836 03-04-2005 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by VAmomof2
I made this last night (just reduced the splenda) and it was yummy but a bit dry. I topped mine with ricotta, left over sauteed veggies and a little moz cheese - I think the sauce would have helped it. Next time, I might just add the toppings in the pan and cover to melt. I will also know not to crisp for so long but it is a definite keeper - I can't wait for DH to try it too. He does not lc but loves my flax bread.

Thanks Tyler!

Oh, that's a good idea. Adding the toppings in the pan and covering. That'll cut back on the time (and save washing an extra pan!) I added a bit of almond flour to mine last night. It made it a bit less dry, but still got crispy and firm enough to pick up with no problems.

akmd65 03-04-2005 05:49 AM

wow...im trying this tonight!!!!!

hello pizza night.:D

Pam 03-04-2005 03:35 PM

Tyler, I made your pizza for dinner tonight. To me, this is the best low carb crust I've tasted. I'd like to make it thicker, break it in pieces, and dip into extra virgin olive oil. Thanks so much for inventing this recipe! It's very tasty!!!!!!

tyler43836 03-04-2005 05:40 PM

I'm loving this crust too!!
Tonight I made the crust without the Italian seasonings and Parmesan. Instead of pizza toppings, I topped it with well drained tuna and cheddar cheese. After melting the cheese I added sliced plum tomatoes and dipped it in ranch dressing...Oh MY!! It was absolutely delicious!!!

VAmomof2 03-04-2005 06:12 PM

My DH, who does not lc because he can eat anything and stay fit and trim, tried my leftovers today and just gushed about it. I am thinking of trying to sneak this into my DDs too. If they could not see the greenish tint, they might just go for it. I really can't wait to make this again and it was soooo easy.

Beeb 03-04-2005 09:16 PM

I made this tonight for dinner and it was sooo good. I had to nuke it (microwave it) longer because I could not get the middle dry enough and when i tried to lift it off the plate after 1 minute 40 I almost lost it.

Could be the wattage of my microwave, but this is a great recipe and will make it over and over.

YOU'RE SO SMART!!!!! Thank u!! :up: :hugs:

Brendajm 03-05-2005 05:24 AM

has anyone ran this thru master cook to get the counts for this? I am really wanting to try this ,, sounds great. I always wait for all the tweaking and try the final results.

TXkim 03-05-2005 06:15 AM

I made this and decided to bake it in the oven. I made two batches and got 2 good sized pizzas on one large cookie sheet. I spread the batter pretty thin but the dough really puffed up during baking, so it could be spread even thinner for a larger crust next time. I prebaked it and then added sauce, cheese and toppings and returned to the oven to melt cheese. This was fantastic and very easy to pick up and eat!! I made one with splenda and one without and could not tell the difference, so I'll probably leave that out next time. Great recipe, tyler!!! Thanks so much. :)

akmd65 03-05-2005 06:48 AM

I made this last night with 1/2 the seasonings and no splenda. WOW. this was very good! last night was pizza and wings night and i was able to really enjoy my pizza!

thanks for the recipe....anyone have the counts for this?

LindaSue 03-05-2005 07:18 AM

TXkim, can you give us a temperature and time for pre-baking the crust in the oven?

LindaSue 03-05-2005 07:23 AM

Here's what I get from MasterCook for just the crust:

227 Calories; 16g Fat; 14g Protein; 12g Carbohydrate; 8g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs

I did tweak the seasonings a bit because I don't use onion or garlic salt (garlic salt has sugar in it). Here's what I entered in MC:

1/4 cup flaxmeal
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp onion powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons granular Splenda
1 tbs Italian seasoning
1 tbs parmesan cheese
1 egg
2 tsp water

tyler43836 03-05-2005 07:30 AM

I used the powders and salt last night too. I was out of onion salt....or I lost it:dunno: It tasted the same.

LindaSue 03-05-2005 07:33 AM

How much salt did you use, tyler43836? I was just guessing at the amount needed to replace what would have been in the onion and garlic salts.

tyler43836 03-05-2005 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by LindaSue
How much salt did you use, tyler43836? I was just guessing at the amount needed to replace what would have been in the onion and garlic salts.
I only used 1/8 tsp, but I did toss in a bit extra garlic powder...I love garlic!

tyler43836 03-05-2005 09:31 AM

I have some time this afternoon. I'm thinking about making several of these crusts and seeing how they freeze.
I might try a few with less flax meal...see if I can get the carb count down a bit without affecting the taste or texture too much.

TXkim 03-05-2005 12:28 PM

LindaSue,
I baked it at 350* but don't remember how long. I'd guess about 5-10 minutes on each side. I used a silicon mat and when the top looked done, I flipped it over and cooked the other side a little longer. It was completely cooked before I added any toppings, but it got a little crispier when I stuck it back in to let the cheese melt. I also used the powders and added salt. I'd guess about 1/4 t. Thanks for doing the carb counts. Would it be any less at all without the splenda?