Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2005, 04:47 PM   #1
Lounge Chef & Typo Queen!!

Gallery: SnowWhite
Stats: 450/ Ugh/185
Start Date: 5/26/03 * WLS 1/15/04
Post your authentic ethnic recipes here!

I'm dying to try out some authentice ethnic recipes.

If I can't travel around the globe - at least my tastebuds can!

Asian, Canadian, European, Italian, Spanish, African, Hawaiian - YOU NAME IT! I want to experience tastes from around the world!

I'm looking forward to your replies!
XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO
SnowWhite is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2005, 05:18 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BettyR
WOE: maderate carbs
Start Date: 1/15/04
How about Cajun? My mom is Creole - she's a wonderful cook. This is her recipe.

Seafood Gumbo
Total Carbs 140
16 large servings=9 carbs per servings

3 tablespoons olive oil-0
8 cloves garlic (minced)-8
2 large onions (chopped)-26
1 large bell pepper (chopped)-7
4 large ribs celery (chopped)-3
2-14oz cans diced tomatoes-17
1-8oz can tomato sauce-17
2-10oz packages frozen okra-43
1 bunch parsley ~leaves only~ (chopped)-4
1 bunch green onions (chopped)-8
2 tablespoons chicken bullion-7
1 tablespoon liquid crab boil-0
1 gallon water-0
2 lb. Shrimp ~peeled & de-vained -0
2 lb. Frozen ~meat only~ craw fish tails-0
2 lb. Mild flavored white fish (chopped in 1 in. cubes)-0

In a large gumbo pot heat the olive oil and saute the onion, bell pepper, and celery until they are tender. Add the garlic and saute until you start to smell it. Add the tomatoes, parsley, green onions, tomato sauce, water, crab boil, and chicken bullion. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, cook uncovered for 45 minutes. Add the okra and bring back to a boil, simmer for 45 minutes. Add seafood bring back to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings.

Ladle into bowls and serve with tall glass of ice tea.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And Tex-Mex

Tortilla Soup
Carbs for the whole pot - 56

1 large fryer cut in half-0
1 large bunch cilantro, washed well, chopped (leaves only)-1
4 garlic cloves, chopped-4
1 large onion, chopped-13
2 fresh Serrano peppers, chopped-6
1 (10-ounce) can tomatoes with green chilies-7
2 quarts chicken stock-0
1 (15-ounce) can crushed tomatoes-14
2 teaspoons ground cumin-1
2 teaspoons salt-0
2 large carrots cleaned and chopped-10
1 to 1 1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese (about 1 ounce per serving)-0
2 avocados, peeled and mashed with a little lime juice and garlic salt
Sour Cream

Place all ingredients except cheese, avocados and sour cream in a large stock pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for an hour.
Remove cooked chicken from the pot and cool enough to handle. Remove meat from the bones and return meat to the pot.
To serve place a small mound of cheese, about one ounce, in the bottom of a bowl and ladle hot soup over the cheese.
Having a small bowl with a dollop of mashed avocado and another one with sour cream on the side. Dip your soup spoon into either the avocado or the sour cream and then take a bite of the soup scooping up a little of the cheese at the bottom of the bowl.

This is pure heaven.

Makes 8 servings.
BettyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 05:23 PM   #3
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I have no idea where I got this but man it's good!

Moussaka

Moussaka is a delicious one-dish-meal that traditionally takes hours to prepare. This lower-carb version takes much less time and tastes just as delicious. You can also use ground beef instead of lamb.

3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1/2 small onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
2 teaspoons chopped garlic
1 1/2 pounds lean ground lamb
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1/2 cup dry red wine
1 cup controlled-carboydrate tomato sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
dash of ground cloves
1 medium eggplant, peeled and sliced diagonally in 1/4" slices (about 3 cups)
6 ounces cream cheese
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
1/4 cup Feta cheese, crumbled

Preheat oven to 425º F. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Sauté onion until soft, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and sauté until aroma is released, about 30 seconds. Add lamb and sauté until still slightly pink, breaking up with a wooden spoon, about 4 minutes. Drain off most of the fat, add tomato paste and sauté until lamb is cooked, about 1 minutes longer. Stir in wine, tomato sauce, salt, cinnamon and cloves. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer 10 minutes to reduce sauce.

While sauce is cooking, brush slices with remaining oil. Arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake until lightly browned and slightly softened, about 12 minutes, turning once during cooking time.

In a small saucepan whisk cream cheese, cream and nutmeg over medium heat and cook until cream cheese melts and mixture is smooth, about 3 minutes. Set aside.

Turn oven down to 350°F. Spread a thin layer of meat sauce on bottom of an 8-inch square baking pan. Layer half the eggplant slices on top; cover with half the remaining meat sauce and half the cream sauce. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with feta cheese. Bake until cheese starts to brown, about 25 minutes. Serve hot or at room temperature.

Serves 6

Per Serving: Cals 478, Carbs 9.5, Fiber 3, Net Carbs 6, Protein 24, Fat 37

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 05:26 PM   #4
Gadget Gal

This is a big fave around our house.

Chili Adovado

8 EACH dry ancho, New Mexico, and Anaheim chile pods
1 Tablespoon salt
4-6 cloves garlic
1 Tablespoon oregano leaves
3.5 cups water
4-5 pounds pork or beef, cut into large cubes

Dust off chile pods with a damp cloth. Place on cookie sheet and roast in oven at 250 degrees F for 3 to 4 minutes, turning to prevent their scorching. Remove stems and seeds. Blend, adding a few at a time, with the water, garlic, oregano and salt, in an electric blender or food processor, until smooth. Pour over pork cubes in a large ziploc bag and marinate at least 24 hours. Pour meat and marinade into a large baking pan and bake at 350 F for 1.5 hours.

Serves 8 or so. Very tasty served with warmed LC tortillas with some sour cream on the side to cut the heat. If the chiles are too hot, you can substitute a few anchos (dried poblanos) or pasillas; if you want more heat, add some serranos or arboles.

Also good served with lettuce leaves for "wraps"!

Char
Old 03-01-2005, 05:28 PM   #5
Gadget Gal

Char's Green Enchilada Casserole
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Char's Green Enchilada Casserole

8-10 low carb flour tortillas (I used Mama Lupe's 7", 3 carb tortillas)
1 28 oz. can green enchilada sauce (I like Las Palmas brand)
1 7 oz. can chopped green chilies (such as Ortega mild)
1/2 cup sliced or chopped green onion
1 small can sliced ripe olives, drained, or about 1/2 cup sliced green olives with pimiento
4 cups cooked, shredded chicken breast
2 cups Mexican-blend shredded cheese

Sidenote: I took 3 whole chicken breasts and poached them in simmering water to which I had added 1 T. taco seasoning and 1 tsp. each garlic and onion powder; covered, simmered 5 minutes, turned them all over, and simmerered another 5 minutes. Removed the chicken to a platter to cool, and then shredded the meat.

To assemble:

In a 9" x 13" casserole which has been lightly sprayed with nonstick cooking spray, layer half the tortillas - I cut 3 of them in half, and put the straight (cut) edges along the straight sides of the pan - 2 halves on each side and 1 half at each end, then 1 whole tortilla in the middle. Depending on the configuration of your pan and the size of the tortillas, this may take more or less, but you want to cover the bottom of the pan with slightly overlapped tortillas.

Add about a cup of the enchilada sauce and spread evenly over the tortillas.

Sprinkle most of the green onions over the sauce, reserving a few for the top of the casserole after it has baked. Spread the chicken over the onions, then the green chilies, then the sliced olives, then most of the cheese, again save a bit to sprinkle over the top at the end of the baking time.

Put another layer of tortillas just like the first. Spread the remaining enchilada sauce evenly over the top - it will run down the inside of the casserole.

Bake in a preheated 325* oven about 40 minutes, or til the sauce is bubbling nicely along the sides and the top looks somewhat dry. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top and scatter the remaining onion bits to decorate - pop back in the oven to melt the cheese.

Let stand 15 minutes before cutting to serve. Even better the next day!

Your carb count will vary depending on the tortillas and enchilada sauce you use. I get 8 servings out of this.

If you want to be more traditional, you can mix the filling ingredients together and roll it in the tortillas, then top with sauce and bake. Too much trouble for me! DH actually has grown to prefer it in the casserole format.

Char
Old 03-01-2005, 05:30 PM   #6
Gadget Gal

Another Mexican favorite!

Carnitas
(twice-cooked Mexican pork)

3 pounds boneless pork
(I used 6 1" thick boneless sirloin chops)
12 oz. low-carb beer
1 tsp. chicken stock base
1 tsp. dried oregano'
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 T. minced fresh cilantro
1 med. onion, peeled and quartered
Olive oil or bacon fat for browning

Place all ingredients except oil in slow cooker or roaster oven. Add enough water to just cover pork. Cover and cook 4-6 hours, until pork is extremely tender. Preheat oven to 400*. Remove pork from cooking liquid (reserve strained liquid for other use if desired) and shred with two forks. Mix pork with enough olive oil or melted bacon fat to coat evenly. Spread in a layer in a large flat pan (I use the bottom of my broiler pan, lined with foil) and place in 400* oven; roast about 20-30 minutes, turning occasionally, until it begins to get brown and crisp.

0 carbs per serving

Garnish with shredded cheese if desired and serve with guacamole, salsa, sour cream, whatever you like.

This is great with refried black soybeans! You can make these with canned black soybeans, drained and rinsed; mash at least half the beans and heat in a nonstick skillet with enough bacon fat, lard, or oil to "fry" them a bit.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:33 PM   #7
Gadget Gal

Asian Pork

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 lb of boneless pork cut in 1 inch cubes
2 tbs olive oil
1 tbs sesame oil
1 tbs soy sauce
1 tsp ground ginger, or equivalent fresh ginger
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp. Trishz's Splenda concentrate or equivalent sweetener
salt and pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients in ziploc bag. Place in fridge to marinate 1 hour or more. Stir-fry over medium high heat until browned on all sides and cooked through.

You can add veggies to this if you like, such as red or green bell peppers, diagonally sliced celery, snow peas - whatever you like!

Char
Old 03-01-2005, 06:23 PM   #8

Oh wow! These all sound wonderful!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

Keep 'em coming! PLEASE!

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO
Old 03-01-2005, 06:53 PM   #9
Gadget Gal

Hungarian Goulash

2 lbs. beef chuck, cut into cubes
2 onions, sliced
2 Tbsp. butter
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup LC beer or water
1/2 tsp. powdered marjoram (optional)
1/8 tsp. caraway seed (optional)
Paprika - hot or sweet

Cut meat into 1 inch cubes. Let onions brown in butter; add meat and let it brown lightly. Add caraway seed, marjoram, chopped garlic, and enough paprika to effect a noticeable red color. Add beer or water and salt, and simmer for 2 ½ hours. Add more liquid pot is cooking dry. Meat should be very tender!

Serve with sour cream and sauerkraut if desired.

Serves 6 and has 2.8 carbs a serving
Old 03-01-2005, 06:58 PM   #10
Gadget Gal

Char's Asian Pork Tenderloins

Marinade:

2 tsp. sesame oil
1 tbsp. mirin
1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup sake
1/2 tsp. minced ginger
1/2 tsp. minced garlic
1/2 tsp. chili/garlic paste
Splenda liquid concentrate or granulated Splenda
1 tbsp. natural peanut butter, chunky style

Mix marinade ingredients together in a large ziploc bag. Add the pork tenderloins, press out the air, and allow to marinate at least 30 minutes, or several hours if desired.

Preheat oven to 400*. Remove tenderloins from marinade and place in roasting pan; roast approx. 40 minutes, or til done to your liking (pork can be safely served slightly pink these days and it tastes better!).

Meanwhile, pour remaining marinade into a 2 cup Pyrex measuring cup. Microwave on High 2 minutes, til it has boiled and reduced somewhat. Add 15 drops Splenda concentrate, or a tablespoon granulated. Add the peanut butter and stir til well-blended. Microwave an additional minute.

When pork is cooked, removed from oven and slice on the diagonal into 1" thick slices. Serve with teriyaki peanut sauce drizzled over each serving.

I served this with a side of sauteed bok choy with garlic and sliced mushrooms. DH said, "Serve this meal EXACTLY like this again!" Which is why I'm posting it now, so maybe I'll remember how I did it again!
Old 03-01-2005, 07:00 PM   #11
Gadget Gal

Oysters on Creamed Leeks with Guinness Hollandaise Sauce

Ingredients

24 oysters, shucked, reserve juice
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons water
2 leeks, white and pale green parts only, thoroughly washed and sliced
2/3 cup heavy cream
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Guinness Hollandaise
3/4 cup (1-1/4 sticks) butter
1/2 cup Guinness stout
3 egg yolks
Juice of 1/2 lemon

Instructions
Over a small bowl, shuck oysters, strain and reserve the liquid and the shells.

Combine the butter and water and cook over medium heat until butter has melted. Add the leeks and cook until slightly tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the heavy cream and reduce until it thickens slightly, stirring continuously, 3 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and keep warm in a bowl over hot water.

In a small saucepan over low heat, melt the butter. In another saucepan over medium heat, combine the reserved oyster liquid and Guinness and bring to a boil. Cook until reduced to about 2 tablespoons. Transfer the mixture to a food processor or blender. With the motor running, add the egg yolks and lemon juice, then slowly drizzle in the melted butter and process until thickened.

Preheat the broiler. Place the reserved oyster shells on a baking sheet. Divide the creamed leeks evenly into the shells and top with an oyster. Spoon the Guinness hollandaise sauce over each and place under the broiler until the sauce is browned and bubbling. Serve 4 oysters per person.

Yield: 6 servings
Old 03-01-2005, 07:01 PM   #12
Gadget Gal

Olive and Feta Stuffed Grape Leaves
3/4 cup chopped green olives
3/4 cup chopped Kalamata olives
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese, at room temp
3/4 cup chopped macadamia nuts
5 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
4 roma (plum) tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
3 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
2 tablespoons Splenda or Steele's Brown Maltitol Crystals
salt and pepper to taste
1 (8 ounce) jar grape leaves, packed in brine, drained and patted dry with paper towels

1. In a medium bowl, mix the olives, Gorgonzola cheese, macadamia nuts, basil, tomatoes, bell pepper, garlic, and artificial sweetener. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

2. Lay each grape leaf flat, and place a heaping tablespoonful of the olive/cheese mixture in the center.

3. Fold in the sides of the leaves, then roll tightly to contain cheese/olive mixture. Chill well til serving time.
Old 03-01-2005, 07:04 PM   #13
Gadget Gal

Char's Crabby Cakes with Chipotle Aioli

1 1-lb. can backfin crabmeat (procured at Costco in the refrigerated secton) or fresh crabmeat
1/2 cup crumb mix (see below)
1/4 cup Best Foods mayo
1 egg
1/4 teaspoon White Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning

Additional crumb mix for breading
Oil for frying (I used a mix of 2/3 coconut/1/3 olive oil)

Mix together crumb mix, mayo, and egg; stir in Worcestershire and Old Bay. Mix well. Blend in rinsed and drained crabmeat, mixing lightly.

Divide into 6 equal portions and form into thick patties. Put additional crumb mixture on a plate and coat each side of the patties. Refrigerate coated patties for an hour before frying.

Heat oils (to about 1/2" deep) in large nonstick or cast iron frying pan over medium high heat til shimmering. Cook patties, 3 at a time, until nicely browned on each side, about 2-3 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels and serve with Chipotle Aioli.

Chipotle Aioli

Mix 1/4 cup Best Foods mayo with Chipotle Tabasco, lemon juice, and crushed garlic to taste. Chill til serving time.

Crumb mix - I keep this in a Ziploc bag in the freezer all the time. It's great for breading anything from crab cakes to pork chops to veggies for oven or pan frying!

1 cup crushed pork rinds (I love to use the Hot & Spicy kind but plain is fine too) mixed with 2 tablespoons flax meal, 1/4 cup almond meal, and 2 tablespoons Vital Wheat Gluten. Shake well and freeze to use as needed.

You can crush the pork rinds with a rolling pin in a Ziploc bag, or do them in the Vitamix, blender, or food processor until they are a nice fine crumb.

Char
Old 03-01-2005, 07:06 PM   #14
Gadget Gal

General Tso's Chicken

4 LBS Boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts, cut into 1" cubes-0
1/3 cup soy sauce
1 tsp. sesame oil
1 clove crushed garlic
2 cups crushed spicy pork rinds
4 Tbs. coconut or light olive oil-0
1/2 cup SF DV pramge pr vanilla syrup-0
1/2 cup sake or water
1/3 cup soy sauce (use a good quality 0 carb sauce)-0
4 Tbs. LC ketchup-4
1-1/2 Tbs. seasoned rice vinegar-1.5
1 clove Garlic finely chopped-1
1 Tsp. Red Pepper Flakes (the kind you put on pizza)-.5 (more if you like it spicy, I used about a tablespoon!)
1 Tbs. chile garlic paste (optional)
1 Tsp. jarred minced Ginger-.3
1/3 cup polydextrose OR

Guar gum or Xanthan gum-0

1/3 cup sliced green onion

Combine 1/3 cup soy sauce, 1 tsp. sesame oil, and 1 clove crushed garlic in a ziploc bag. Add chicken breast cubes; "massage" to evenly coat all pieces, then let marinate 30 minutes, turning once or twice.

In batches, shake drained chicken pieces in a ziploc bag with the crushed pork rinds. Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over med. high heat; add chicken in batches (mine took 4 batches) and cook until lightly browned, turning over half way through (6-7 min total). Drain on paper towels, set aside.

Combine remaining ingredients (except the gum if using) in a bowl and mix well, (if using polydextrose, heat in microwave to dissolve it into the sauce); return chicken to pan, pour sauce over chicken and return to heat. Bring to a boil and then simmer until sauce is thickened and reduced, and glazes chicken, about 10 minutes or so. About 5 minutes into cooking, add 1/4 cup sliced green onions.

If you did NOT use polydextrose -sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of one of the gums over the chicken and cook and stir until sauce is thickened and it glazes over chicken.

Garnish with remaining sliced green onion.

Makes 4 servings for hungry people!

I served with steamed broccoli, and added a bit of soy sauce and sesame oil and ginger to it also, shook it up well to coat.

This dish is a little labor-intensive but it is OH so good - even better the next day!

Char
Old 03-02-2005, 05:37 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ClikChik
Stats: 124/?/105
WOE: LC
Start Date: Feb 4, 2014
...and Tonight, I'm making chicken!

Quote:
Originally posted by Charski
General Tso's Chicken

4 LBS Boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts, cut into 1" cubes-0
1/3 cup soy sauce
1 tsp. sesame oil
1 clove crushed garlic
2 cups crushed spicy pork rinds
4 Tbs. coconut or light olive oil-0
1/2 cup SF DV pramge pr vanilla syrup-0
1/2 cup sake or water
1/3 cup soy sauce (use a good quality 0 carb sauce)-0
4 Tbs. LC ketchup-4
1-1/2 Tbs. seasoned rice vinegar-1.5
1 clove Garlic finely chopped-1
1 Tsp. Red Pepper Flakes (the kind you put on pizza)-.5 (more if you like it spicy, I used about a tablespoon!)
1 Tbs. chile garlic paste (optional)
1 Tsp. jarred minced Ginger-.3
1/3 cup polydextrose OR

Guar gum or Xanthan gum-0

1/3 cup sliced green onion

Combine 1/3 cup soy sauce, 1 tsp. sesame oil, and 1 clove crushed garlic in a ziploc bag. Add chicken breast cubes; "massage" to evenly coat all pieces, then let marinate 30 minutes, turning once or twice.

In batches, shake drained chicken pieces in a ziploc bag with the crushed pork rinds. Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over med. high heat; add chicken in batches (mine took 4 batches) and cook until lightly browned, turning over half way through (6-7 min total). Drain on paper towels, set aside.

Combine remaining ingredients (except the gum if using) in a bowl and mix well, (if using polydextrose, heat in microwave to dissolve it into the sauce); return chicken to pan, pour sauce over chicken and return to heat. Bring to a boil and then simmer until sauce is thickened and reduced, and glazes chicken, about 10 minutes or so. About 5 minutes into cooking, add 1/4 cup sliced green onions.

If you did NOT use polydextrose -sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of one of the gums over the chicken and cook and stir until sauce is thickened and it glazes over chicken.

Garnish with remaining sliced green onion.

Makes 4 servings for hungry people!

I served with steamed broccoli, and added a bit of soy sauce and sesame oil and ginger to it also, shook it up well to coat.

This dish is a little labor-intensive but it is OH so good - even better the next day!

Char
ClikChik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 08:41 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: chickiemom
Picadillo
1 pound ground beef
1 small onion chopped
1 poblano chile diced
2 serrano chiles minced
3 garlic cloves minced
1 tsp each salt and cinnamon
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp allspice
12 green olives
1/4 cup raisins if you can handle the carbs
1 cup tomato sauce
1/3 cup chopped blanched almonds
Saute meat with onions, peppers and garlic till golden Add all the rest except almonds bring to simmer and cook over low 20 minutes till thick. Stir in almonds.
chickiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 09:27 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dcarlee
Stats: 350/280/200
Green Bean Meat Stew (Lubi bi Laham)

1 lb beef or lamb cut into 1/2 inch cubes
3 Tbs butter or vegetable oil
1 medium onion (finely chopped)
2 lbs green beans
water
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp cinnamon

In saucepan, saute meat in oil or butter until meat is browned. Add chopped onion. Saute until onion is limp. Add beans, stir then add water to cover. Cover and cook until meat and beans are tender, 40-50 minutes. Add tomato paste, salt, pepper and cinnamon. Cook an additional 10-15 minutes.

http://adventuresinlowcarb.blogspot.com/
dcarlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 12:44 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sooz
Stats: 171.8/157.9/145 (5'6")
WOE: LC/IF
Start Date: Over and over and over
Ohhhh Chickiemom, I LOVE Picadillo. Could also add some Dreamfield's "Rice to it.

We are having a favorite tonite which is Adobo Pork over Dreamfield's "Rice". It is a traditional dish from the Philippine and although we are not from their, our old neighbor was and got us started on this dish. It smells soooooo good while it is cooking!

Sooz

Adobo Chicken or Pork (Philippine style)

3 pounds chicken thighs or 3 lbs pork shoulder cut 1 ½ inch pieces
2 Tablespoons olive oil

1/2 cup soy sauce
2/3 cup cider vinegar
1 bay leaf
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 packets Splenda (optional)

Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat for 5 minutes. Brown chicken thighs or pork in olive oil until outside is brown and crispy. Add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until tender, about 1 hour for the chicken 1 ½ hours for the pork. Serve over Dreamfield’s “rice” with steamed broccoli on the side.

6 carbs for entire recipe

Dreamfield’s “Rice”

Posted by CarolynF Lo Carb Rice from Dreamfields..

I got this recipe in an email from Sharon Wertz:

It looks great...

Lo carb "rice"

Take two ounces (two ounces is only one serving) of Dreamfield's spagetti and run it in a food processor until it is cut the size of rice grains (it takes longer than you would think, pasta is HARD). (or if you don't have a food processor, put it in a ziplock bag and beat on it with the side of a meat hammer, rolling pin, etc)

Place in a pan with two tablespoons butter, and cook until the pasta changes color and looks kind of crispy. Add water to the pan and cook the pasta until tender (about 15 minutes). It will stay firm because of the browning, with the texture of cooked rice instead of the slightly "slimy" feel of cooked pasta.

Drain and serve under stir fry, stroganoff, curry, etc. 5 grams per very
generous serving.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I NEGU! Do you?
Sooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 12:54 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sooz
Stats: 171.8/157.9/145 (5'6")
WOE: LC/IF
Start Date: Over and over and over
SilkandSand's Carne en su Jugo

I have to post another of my favorite Ethnic recipes which comes from SilkandSand and it is her Carne en su Jugo. Here is her post and recipe.

From SilkandSand:

I live in Mexico, so we eat the "real deal." My favorite is Carne en su Jugo:

Carne en su Jugo:

2 lbs of beef sliced thinly and cut into 1 inch pieces (when we lived in the US, I had our butcher at the grocery store do this for me) or ground beef will work as well. ***Sooz's Note: I also use cubed Pork when it is on sale
1 lb of bacon cut into pieces
1 lb of fresh tomatillos (canned will do)
4 cloves of garlic
salt to taste
1 handful of cilantro plus some set aside as a garnish

Garnish/Sides
fresh lime
1 diced avocado
1/2 diced onion
your favorite salsa or hot sauce

First cook the bacon and then take it out of the pan and put it in a pot, save the grease. Then cook the beef until brown in your bacon grease and add that to the pot. Make a green stock in your blender using the tomatillos, cilantro, garlic and a little water. Blend. Now add that to the beef and bacon and cook until tender (The original recipe calls for beans in the soup or on the side as a garnish to be added, I omit the beans for lc) Now dish it up and add cilantro, raw chopped onion, avocado and salsa. You will LOVE this! Your friends will be amazed. It was the hit of every potluck I brought this to.

Sooz's Notes: I use a whole can of Tomatillos (the large can) and use my food processor. I do the tomatillos first then strain off the seeds before putting it back in the food processor and adding the rest of the ingredients. I am pretty generous with the Cilantro because we love it. Then I serve it with LC tortillas, shredded lettuce, sour cream, salsa and the works. Some of us use the meat for inside the tortillas and make a smothered burrito with the sauce and some of us eat it as soup.

Enjoy!

Sooz
Sooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 01:15 PM   #20

*drool*

I LOVE CHICKEN ADOBO!!! We make it often!
Old 03-03-2005, 08:09 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: chickiemom
Asian Style Chicken

1 cup water
1/4 cup soy
1/2 cup vinegar
garlic to taste. I use 8 cloves;o)
crushed red pepper
2 T sweetner
Bring mix to boil lower heat to simmer. Add chicken whatever parts your family likes. I used boneless breast cause that is dh's fav but I think thighs or wings would be great. Simmer till chicken is cooked. Remove chicken and simmer sauce to desired thickness. I also added half of a star anise and a slice of dried orange peel plus a T of polyd to help thicken it. This recipe begs for tweeks so have fun. Serve with sliced green onions and toasted sesame seeds
Also if you use chicken with skin on you may or may not want to brown it

I bet this would be good with diet orange soda for the water

Lots of good recipes here THANKS for the thread. I love ethnic food
chickiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 08:15 AM   #22
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Sugar Patrol
Stats: 163.2/134.6/135
WOE: Isocaloric
Start Date: 1/1/03
I love the Chinese Fried Cauliflower Rice from Linda Sue's website. I made it and added shrimp. I was pleasantly surprised by the flavor. It tastes is so much like the real thing and is very good.
Sugar Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 09:52 AM   #23
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Banshee5
Bay Scallop Ceviche

1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1- 1 1/2 cup fresh lime juice( enough to just cover the scallops)

2 pounds bay scallops
1 hot red chili pepper or jalapeno -- finely chopped
1/4 cup red onion -- finely chopped
3 ripe plum tomatoes -- seeded and chopped
1 red bell pepper -- seeded and chopped*
3 green onions -- chopped
1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 lime -- sliced, for garnish
1/2- 1 diced avocado* for garnish

Stir the cumin into the lime juice and pour over the scallops. Stir in the chopped chili pepper and red onion. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.

Just before serving, drain the scallops and mix with the chopped tomatoes, bell pepper, green onions and cilantro. Garnish with the slices of lime.

I modifed this version of Mexican ceviche. You just need to have enough fresh lime juice to cover the scallops...I use a pie plate to spread them out, so you won't need so much juice. Also, I don't drain every last drop of juice....I save a little so that the cumin flavor is in there.

Red bell pepper is optional, like the avocado. Be careful with the hot pepper if you don't like the heat!! ( You can cut out the membrane and seeds, if too hot. Or you can just use some hot sauce of choice)
Banshee5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 10:13 AM   #24
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Hot and sour shrimp soup (Tom yum goong)

4 cups of water or chicken broth
2 stalks fresh lemon grass, trim off the very end of the root and smash with the side of a cleaver of chef's knife; cut into 1 inch pieces; or 2 pc dried
3 slices fresh galangal root(smashed) or 2 pc dried
3 fresh kaffir lime leave or 4 pc dried
1 Tbsp. tamarind paste, with or without seeds
1 Tbsp. fish sauce(Nam Pla)
3/4 lb shrimps, medium to large size, shelled and de-veined; butterfly if desired
12 fresh Thai chile peppers, whole or 2 medium sized jalepenos, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch strips.
1/2 small white onion, cut 1/4 inch slices
2 Tbsp. roasted chile paste(nam prik pao)
1 (16 oz.) can straw mushrooms, drained and rinsed
1 small ripe tomato, cut into wedges 1/4 inch thick
1 small lime, squeezed
2 sprigs fresh cilantro

Bring water to boil over high heat in a medium-sized saucepan. Add the lemon grass, galangal, kaffir lime leaf, fish sauce and tamarind paste(break apart the tamarind paste with your fingers as you add it).**
Add the shrimp, bring to a boil and cook 3 minutes. Add the onion, nam prik pao,and straw mushrooms. Boil for another 7 minutes until the shrimp is cooked through. Add the chile peppers and tomatoes. Turn off the heat. Add the lime juice. Taste to adjust the seasoning, adding fish sauce to taste. Garnish with cilatantro if desired and serve. Serves 3 to 4.

When I make this I use chicken broth instead of water.
If you can't find Tamarind paste, you can leave it out.
If you can't find galangal, use fresh ginger root.

** I simmer the broth for 15-20 min. and then strain it, saving the broth. If you add in the other ingredients, then you'll be picking out bits of lemon grass, ginger root, etc. (I'd rather remove everything I wouldn't eat first)!! If you want, you can put the fresh chilis in( before you add ingred. that you will actually eat) and strain those out too!

I've also made this using cooked, frozen shrimp. Thaw shrimp first and remove tails if they are still on. Then stir in the shrimp LAST, since they are already cooked..you just want them to heat up.
Old 03-03-2005, 10:22 AM   #25
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Thai Chicken in Coconut Milk (Dtohm Kah Gy)

2-3 pcs fresh or dried galangal slices/can use fresh ginger root
2 pcs of fresh lemon grass stalks
1 clove of garlic
A pinch of Tamarind paste
Fish sauce to taste
13.5 oz can coconut milk
Thai soy sauce*
2 thin slices white onion

Boil galangal, lemon grass, garlic, and tamarind in 1 cup water to bring out the flavor for 2-3 minutes.
Cut 1/2 lb. chicken(thighs are nice or breast) into approx. 2 inch pieces(best if you cut through the bone with a sharp cleaver, but also you can use boneless meat. The bones give a richer flavor.)
Add chicken to the boiling water and boil for another 8 minutes until cooked through**.

Add 13.5oz can coconut milk. Bring to a boil again and boil for another 3 minutes.
Add 1 Tablespoon of Thai fish sauce(Nam Pla), 1 Tablespoon Thai thin soy sauce(Dragonfly brand is great), 2 slices of white onion. And if desired garnish with 3-4 pcs of Thai fresh chiles(prik kee noo). Bring to a final boil for one minute. Remove from heat and serve* . Add fish sauce to taste.
If fish sauce is not available sea salt is also very good. *Thin soy is optional also.

** If bones included, I remove the meat at this time and place it back into the broth without the bones.
Served over rice but not if you LC....I eat it, as is or over veggies.

Last edited by Banshee5; 03-03-2005 at 10:26 AM..
Old 03-03-2005, 10:32 AM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: thecheshirekat
WOE: Back to Atkins
Start Date: This restart - 10/1/12
Souvlaki! Easy, tasty, and naturally low-carb.

I think I've posted this before, and I don't have any measurements (sorry--that's not how my grandmother cooked!), but here goes:

Meat (chicken, beef, pork, or the classic--lamb)
Olive oil
Garlic cloves, peeled
Lemon juice
Oregano
Lawry's garlic salt with parsley flakes (the family secret!)

Cube the meat and toss it in a bowl with the above ingredients. There's really no wrong way to mix the seasonings, and you want it to be fairly heavily seasoned. Once it's mixed, cover and refrigerate for at least one day, or longer if possible. Thread meat on to skewers, and grill or broil until done.

This is best served with tzatziki (cucumber-yogurt sauce), and while it's possible to make that yourself, it's so much easier to just buy it. I get mine from our local Greek restaurant and import store, and it's much better than the results I got when I made it.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:08 PM   #27
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: lbaile2
Stats: 218/177/140
WOE: atkins
Start Date: july 2003
mexican peppers
I get so hungry for mexican food but obviously the choices are limited so I came up with this dish.

Stuffed poblano (or passila) peppers

4 large poblano peppers
1 lb of ground beef
salsa
shredded cheddar cheese

brown ground beef and drain well. cut a long slit in the side of the pepper from the stem to the end, run you knife around the stem half way leaving the stem intacked. open the pepper and take out the seeds. Mix 1/2 cup of salsa with the beef and a few handfuls of cheese. stuff the peppers with this mixture. lay in a baking dish and bake at 375 for 1 hour and 15 min. in the last few minutes of baking pour a litte more salsa on top of the peppers and top with more schredded cheese. continue baking until the cheese melts.

these are so good and you really get that authentic flavors w/out all the carbs. I figured about 4 or 5 carbs per pepper.

Last edited by lbaile2; 03-03-2005 at 01:21 PM..
lbaile2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 07:15 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Suebird
WOE: Atkins
Ginger Chicken with Citrus Juices
Serves 4-6

2-3 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 medium onions, finely chopped
1-3 fresh green chili peppers, minced with seeds (I use 1 jalapeno)
2 Tbsp peeled minced fresh ginger (about 2 inches worth)
1 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro (divided)
1.5-2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into 1.5 inch pieces
1/3 cup fresh lime juice, (2 limes)
1/3 cup lemon juice (2 lemons)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 large red bell pepper (or a green one)
1/4 tsp garam masala (optional)

1. Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over med-high heat and cook the onions, stirring, until well browned (dark), about 12 minutes.
2. Add the chili peppers, ginger, .5 cup of cilantro, then mix in the chicken, salt, black pepper, and fruit juices. Cover the pan and bring to a boil over high heat. Uncover & cook, stirring as needed, until all the juices evaporate and the chicken is soft, about 30 minutes. Add the bell pepper and the remaining .5 cup cilantro during the last 5 minutes of cooking. Transfer to a serving dish, sprinkle with garam masala on top, and serve.
Suebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 07:22 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Suebird
WOE: Atkins
I'm also very fond of this one.

http://www.indolink.com/Recipe/MainC...n/recipe2.html
Suebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:39 PM   #30
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Essy's Spanish Rice

1 lb. hamburger
1/2 onion chopped
2 tablespoons oil
1 16 oz. crushed tomatos
1 head cauliflower riced
1 tsp.garlic powder
1 tablespoon chile powder

Fry hamburger & set aside. Sautee onion in oil, pour hamburger back in pan.
Add tomato , cauliflower, garlic powder,& chile powder. Cook over med heat or lower until everything marries. Serve and enjoy.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote