Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2005, 09:41 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MonaMarie
Stats: 255/255/168
WOE: LC Whole Foods
Start Date: 01/01/08
Anyone use a pressure cooker?

I bought a new pressure cooker on HSN several weeks ago. It looked like just what I needed on HSN. But, I've used it once. I need to get motivated to use it. Anyone use one often?
MonaMarie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2005, 10:27 AM   #2
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: lbaile2
Stats: 218/177/140
WOE: atkins
Start Date: july 2003
not often but i have one and i do pressure cook some things. it's easy to use just read the directions, they are pretty self explanitory. I jar deer meat, pinto's (for DH) you can do all kinds of things. mine came with a recipe book, it would be good to do stock, like chicken or beef. pressure cooking is a must for meat because it kills the bacteria that causes botulism. oh and i made home made spaghetti sauce last summer too.
lbaile2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 12:54 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lgpars
Stats: 222/208/130
WOE: AtkinsO
Start Date: Oct. 2011
I LOVE a pressure cooker. Most of what I do in mine is either beef roasts or baby back ribs. The baby back ribs are to DIE FOR. All I do is just brown them and stick them in there with some water and cook. They are falling off the bone tender. I like baby back ribs without BBQ sauce on them. Just like them come out of the pan. Also, you can pressure cook the ribs for about 10-15 min. and then take them out and put them on the grill with BBQ sauce for a while if you like them BBQ'd. It makes them so tender that way.

For the eyes of the LORD run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show himself strong in the behalf of them whose heart is perfect toward him. (2 Chr 16:9 KJV)
lgpars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 01:15 PM   #4
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
When I bought my pressure cooker, I did a Yahoo search for "pressure cooker" and recipes and came up with TONS of them!

Also the Lorna Sass PC cookbooks are great.

Char
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 01:33 PM   #5
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: lbaile2
Stats: 218/177/140
WOE: atkins
Start Date: july 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by lgpars
I LOVE a pressure cooker. Most of what I do in mine is either beef roasts or baby back ribs. The baby back ribs are to DIE FOR. All I do is just brown them and stick them in there with some water and cook. They are falling off the bone tender. I like baby back ribs without BBQ sauce on them. Just like them come out of the pan. Also, you can pressure cook the ribs for about 10-15 min. and then take them out and put them on the grill with BBQ sauce for a while if you like them BBQ'd. It makes them so tender that way.
wow that sounds great I never really though about cooking diner in them but the rib idea sounds great! may have to try that this weekend.
lbaile2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 01:38 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
I make a beef stroganoff in the pressure cooker to die for. I used to do Corned beef and cabbage, but now do it in my slow cooker. I do lots of things, and if you don't have time to do stuff, just throw it in the pressure cooker.
SCOTTSDALEJULIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 01:56 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MonaMarie
Stats: 255/255/168
WOE: LC Whole Foods
Start Date: 01/01/08
Thanks for all the responses. I know I need to get to using it more.
MonaMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 06:05 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SharonLC
I have one that my mom gave me but the seal is bad on it. Anyone know of a good place to order a new seal for an older pressure cooker?
SharonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 07:13 PM   #9
Zib
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Zib
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: August 2012 - Cholesterol down 70 points!
I have a pressure cooker and love it. I used to do pasta with pasta sauce in it and have recently wondered if I could use it for lc pasta -- as I recall you threw in your pasta, added a jar of pasta sauce and some beef broth then pressure cooked for 12 min (I think) and the pasta absorbed all the sauce. It was yummy.

Here are a few ideas I've picked up off the net:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Pressure Cooker Ideas

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Main Dishes Pressure Cooker

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------

For the boiled dinner his favorite is with kielbasa although i have done corned beef and smoked shoulder. I just put potatoes and carrots and cabbage and some onion in the cooker and top it with the meat and bring up to pressure and cook. For a kielbasa about 20-25 min and a corned beef about 45. The vegetables have a wonderful flavor when done this way.

I also have put whole chickens and small turkeys or turkey breast in the pressure cooker with onion and celery and carrot and bouquet garni and cooked after coming up to pressure for about and hour. The meat falls off the bones and can be used to make the best chicken or turkey salads.Also the broth is wonderful. I strain it and defat it and use it in soups, casseroles, or anything you would use broth for. The meat can be frozen if there is too much of it for a single use.

Also I have put chuck roasts or bottom of the round or pork shoulders in the pressure cooker to cook for about an hour after coming to pressure. Then shred the meat and heat it in a barbecue sauce. I have tried many types of sauces. This makes wonderful sandwiches. I sometimes put the meat and sauce in my crockpot for the final heating.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Pressure Cooker Tri-Tip

Recipe By :Mimi's Cyber Kitchen
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Entrees Main Dishes
Pressure Cooker

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 Tablespoon oil
2 1/2 pounds tri-tip steak
1 large onion -- sliced
2 cloves garlic -- smashed and peeled
2 cups beef broth
2 anchovy fillets -- chopped
1 Tablespoon tomato paste
salt and pepper

Heat pressure cooker, add oil and sear tri-tip until well browned on both sides, turning just once. Add the rest of the ingredients.Bring to pressure and cook per instructions.

The anchovies leave no detectable trace after pressure cooking, but leave a pleasant dark flavor to meat.

The gravy is excellant with mashed potatoes.

NOTES : 3-inch thick cut of boneless top sirloin weighing 3 to 4 pounds
Zib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 01:10 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: underHiswing
Stats: Size 14/6-8/8
WOE: moderate carb, whole foods
Start Date: 7/03
I've been using a pressure cooker for 30 years and love it. I mostly use it for soups and stews (and potatoes for non-LCers).
underHiswing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 12:16 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: its4me
WOE: Weight Watchers Points Plus
Start Date: 4/24/11
I bought a HUGE pressure cooker a few months ago and I love it. The one I got is a digital one and it has this browning feature also.

I have made really great pot roasts, with turnips, onion, carrot and a little tomato paste to flavor the meat. The roasts are really good.

I made a corned beef in it last week and I liked it better than ones I had made in the crock pot.

Also, I am using it for meatballs and also taco meat every week.

It is like this big assembly line I do on the weekends. I make two or three things in the pressure cooker and then package them for the week.

I love it.

Lori
its4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 03:32 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Davian
Stats: 245 / 142 now - rather 135
WOE: Maintenance plus.....
Start Date: 02/24/04
I'm currently using mine to make spareribs however I don't have a manual and this is my first attempt. If anyone has a must try recipe, I'd love to have it. (Along with instruction for "dummy" )

I have a 6 quart model with a one hour timer on it.
Davian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 03:34 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aediekins
Stats: St/199 Curr/163 Goal/155
WOE: Low-Carb
Start Date: 8 more lbs to go!!
KFC fries there chicken in a pressure cooker. I wonder if it could be done low-carb?
Aediekins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 12:01 PM   #14
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: mom2twoboys
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 10/26/05
My MIL bought me a pressure cooker 6 mos ago and and it is still in the box. She told me I could make turkey soup in it, has anyone ever tried that? She said just put the turkey carcass in there with celery carrots and an onion and a little water. I might try it tonight instead of on the stove.
mom2twoboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 12:26 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: underHiswing
Stats: Size 14/6-8/8
WOE: moderate carb, whole foods
Start Date: 7/03
Quote:
Originally posted by SharonLC
I have one that my mom gave me but the seal is bad on it. Anyone know of a good place to order a new seal for an older pressure cooker?
Sharon,

My Presto pressure cooker was my mom's as well so I understand about having to replace the seal. Try looking at your local hardware store; they may have some replacement parts there. The brand name, size and model number are helpful to have. You can also try to see if there is a Web site for the brand that you have or even a site that sells appliance parts. Just do a search by putting in the brand name and "pressure cooker". I can still get the gasket (sealing ring) and pressure regulator for mine.

Hope this helps,
Laurie
underHiswing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 12:55 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: parrotchic
What type of PC's are you all using, I see there is the type you plug in or the type you use on the stove. My B-Day is coming up and I think I'll put one of these on my list. Do the electric ones cook different than the stove top? Thankyou
parrotchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 01:48 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: its4me
WOE: Weight Watchers Points Plus
Start Date: 4/24/11
Hi,

I have the one from Williams Sonoma - Hobbs... something like that. I would post the link, but I would get spanked for that!

Anyway....
I LOVE cooking in it. It is better than the stove top! It browns, so the grease does not spatter all over the stove and then everything tastes so good when it is done. The flavors really get into the meat..... vegie flavors like the onion, carrot, pepper, chili whatever.

Mine is so easy to clean, too. The inner cooking container comes out and you can put it in the dishwasher if you want. The digital programming allows you to delay the cooking or keep the food warm as well. Mine has a steaming function as well... great for vegies and making things like faux potatoes.

Tonight, I am going to try some artichokes in it.

I am having a ball experimenting. I bought the 'Under Pressure' cookbooks as well. There are lots of great things there.

Stock is supposed to be the best use, stock and cooking beans. Beans are not on this WOE, so I have not tried it yet.

Lori
its4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 07:16 PM   #18
Gadget Gal

I have one that is probably the same - 8 quart, electric, digital programmable. It's a wonderful piece of equipment!

Back in another, non-LC lifetime, I used to cook whole grains in it - usually a combo of spelt, oat groats, and wheat berries - and they were so SO good! I imagine that down the road I could have some of those, but truly I believe that mankind was NOT evolved to eat much in the way of grains so I prolly won't do it!

I also used it to cook beans, which works very well. May have to drag it out and try it on some of the dried black soybeans I bought.

I also have made sugarfree jam in it, using granulated Splenda, back before there WAS much else in the way of sweeteners that could stand up to the heat.

I've done artichokes too, worked great, and plenty of stews and such.

I have neglected that little hummer for quite a while - maybe it's time to drag it back out and play some more!

Char

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Old 05-26-2011, 01:32 PM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Rachel011235
Stats: 244 / 244 / 175
Start Date: May 2011
Can you guys post recipes for these things you are cooking? I just bought a stove-top PC and I have had beef stew and spare ribs in it. Any experiences with chicken?

PS I'm on Atkins induction...
Rachel011235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:44 AM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: BassettGirl
pressure cooker website

I'm on my third pressure cooker. I have one stovetop and one digitial - I prefer the digitals as they are so easy to use. I know a lot of people in my yahoo pressure cooker egroup buy them from the QVC site. One of the most helpful sites to learn to use a pressure cooker, stovetop or digitial, is Pressure Cooker Recipes She also has a blog Miss Vickie's Pressure Cooker Explains how to test the pressure cooker, how to use it, where to buy parts, etc...

To correct a previous poster - you CANNOT fry in a pressure cooker. There is a pressure FRYER that is a totally different piece of equipment. It's extremely dangerous to attempt to fry in a pressure cooker.
BassettGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:38 PM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonLC View Post
amazon has some
Nigel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:09 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Love my pressure cookers

I do what others have mentioned. One really easy thing to do is
take a roasted chicken from say CostCo. Remove the breast meat
for another recipe and then just put the rest in the cooker with
good water, your seasonings and let it got for about an hour.
Let it cool and you will have the best chicken stock you've ever tasted.
Now you can jar it up, freeze it, make chicken soup. Whatever.
The other thing I love it for is canning my tomatoes, making wonderful
corned beef,pot roast. I really use it for something weekly. Makes
quick work of 3 large artichokes.

Have three sizes plus a huge one for canning quarts, which sadly
I don't do anymore. Had to cut my workload down as I'm getting
up there in years.

Enjoy!
Old 06-16-2011, 08:35 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: The Chicken Lady
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic
WOE: High Fat Low Carb Diet
Start Date: July 5th 2008
I love my pressure cookers; I have two of them.

I have one that I cook in and one that I can in. Like today I'm putting some beef ribs on to boil with onions, celery, carrots and various seasonings. I will boil the beef ribs until they are tender then I will put them in the frig to chill and firm up. Then on Sunday I will get them out and put them on the smoker on a very low heat with lots of smoke. That with some sides will be for Father's Day.

Then I will strain all that wonderful beef broth, pour it up into 1 pint jars and pressure can it.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:25 AM   #24
Gadget Gal

I recently bought a second pressure cooker, a 6 quart stovetop Fagor. It's really nice. I still prefer the "set it and forget it" of the digital, but when I have a lesser amount to cook, the 6 quart is perfect.

I've been doing heirloom beans in it lately, and also pork or lamb vindaloo and chile verde.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:07 PM   #25
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: catkin
Stats: Made Goal! 132 lbs.
WOE: hhcg
I got one of Wolfgang Puck's digital pressure cookers but have yet to try it, anyone have this model? (HSN).
I keep remembering my Mom's old fashioned one blowing up in our kitchen when I was a kid.... We had food on the ceiling!
catkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:16 PM   #26
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KnitWhit
Stats: 214/183.0/165
Start Date: July 2011
I've had one for several years now, and I still use it at at least once a week. It's good for all cuts of tough meat, corned beef, etc. Before LC I made baked potatoes in it, as well as winter squash. As far as recipes, you can really make anyting in it that would be done in a slow cooker; it's just done in an hour or less. I also always make homemade chicken broth in it for when someone is sick.
KnitWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:17 AM   #27
Pam
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Pam
Stats: 181/150/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: March 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by catkin View Post
I got one of Wolfgang Puck's digital pressure cookers but have yet to try it, anyone have this model? (HSN).
I keep remembering my Mom's old fashioned one blowing up in our kitchen when I was a kid.... We had food on the ceiling!
YES...I have 3 of them and I use them all!!!
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:32 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: locarbman
Stats: 289/180/185
WOE: Atkins/Maintenance
Start Date: September 1998
Hi,

For canning:

I use my large Presto PC (holds 8 Kerr Wide Mouth Pint Mason Jars) on my fishing trips to Alaska for smoked salmon. I fish on sunny days and on rainy days I filet, cut into 1 inch chunks, brine, smoke, and can…bring home ~25 cases of smoked salmon. ;-)

On non fishing years, I buy fresh Sockeye Salmon at my local supermarket and prepare as above! ;-)

I use my medium Presto PC (holds 4 Kerr Wide Mouth Pint Mason Jars) for Jicama Apples:

"Crockpot Apple Pie Filling:

Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 24 hours (overnight ;-)

1 large jicama (30oz, 32 net carbs)
6pkts Alpine Low Cal Apple Cider Mix (24 carbs-maltodextrin, aspartame, alpinecider.com)
3t Liquid Sucralose (equals 12 cups sugar, 0 carbs)
3t Cinnamon (4 carbs)
dash Allspice (0 carbs)
dash Salt (0 carbs)
1T Lemon Juice (1 carb)
1-2t Xanthan Gum (to desired consistency, 0 carbs)
4c Water

Total of 61 net carbs or 7.5 carbs / cup

I used scissors to cut the jicama slices into bite sized pieces. Heat the water, cider mix, lemon juice, Liquid Splenda, cinnamon, allspice, salt. Add xanthan gum with a stick mixer and pour over jicama in crockpot. Cook overnight on low setting or until satisfied with texture. Makes about 8 cups..

Pressure Cooker Apples ;-)
I decided to try making Apple (jicama) pie filling in a pressure cooker rather than to cook overnight in a crockpot. I have read that a crockpot takes up to 24 hours to cook an item that takes 1-3 hours in an oven and that pressure cookers will cook in 1/3 the time it takes to cook in an oven. I therefore decided to use my pressure cooker for 1 hour (crockpot 24 hours = oven 3 hours = pressure cooker 1 hour)...and it worked! ;-)

All you need to do is add an additional 2 cups of water to the basic recipe (to account for the steam lost in cooking), heat the cooker until a steady release of steam occurs for about 5 minutes, then place the pressure weight on the steam release port and begin your 1 hour cooking when it begins to jiggle. Let the cooker cool, fill your jars, cap and replace them in the pressure cooker with 8 cups of water (didn't even wash out the pressure cooker lol...it cleaned itself ;-). Heat until the pressure weight begins to jiggle and remove from heat. When cool, you can store the jars in your pantry. I filled 4 wide mouth pint jars (8 cups)...took about 3 hours for the whole process and they taste just like apples... ;-)

For kitchen use:

I like my small Mirro PC. Great for recipes and 1 cup jars of SF Jams and Jellies:

SF Jams:

CRANBERRY ORANGE JAM:

1c SF Orange Syrup (~1c sugar equivalence, 0 carbs)
1c Sweetener of choice (1/4t Liquid Sucralose or 2/3c Maltitol Honey (you may add additional liquid sweetener to taste, 0 carbs)
12oz Ocean Spray Cranberries (raw, 30 net carbs)
2 Oranges (small, raw, 18 net carbs)
4t Pomona's Calcium water (calcium packet comes with Pomona's Universal Pection, 0 carbs)
3t Pomona's Universal Pectin (0 carbs)

Use blender to blend (grind) cranberries and oranges with syrup (do 1/2 recipe at a time), place in pot. Add calcium water, stir well, bring to boil. Bring additional sweetener to a boil (in a separate pan), add pectin and stir vigorously 1-2 minutes to dissolve pectin (I used a stick mixer, you may also use a blender), add to fruit, stir well to mix, return fruit to boil and remove from heat. Fill canning jars (I used small Kerr jelly jars, 1 cup size) to 1/2" of top. Wipe rims clean, screw on 2-piece lids. Put filled jars in boiling water to cover (I used my pressure cooker to 15 pounds). Boil 5 minutes (add 1 minute for every 1,000 ft above sea level). Remove from water, let jars cool, check seals-lids should be sucked down. Makes 6 (1 cup) jars and lasts about 3 weeks once opened. 0.5 carbs per tablespoon...yummy on buttered, low carb toast...am going to try berries next, should work with frozen fruit if fresh not available... ;-)

SF Jellies:

I've made some specialty jellies using sugar free syrups (Atkins, Torani. DaVinci, etc.)

1c Sugar Free Syrup (0 carbs)
1t Calcium Water (Calcium packet comes with Pomona's Universal Pectin, 0 carbs)
1.5t Pomona's Universal Pectin (0 carbs)

Bring syrup and calcium water to boil, remove from heat, add pectin, blend with stick mixer (or in blender), return to boil. Pour into 1 cup Kerr jelly jar, screw on two piece lid, place in pot with water to cover, boil for 5 minutes plus 1 minute for every 1000 feet above sea level. Cool, check lids for seal (should be 'sucked down'), refrigerate until set. Makes 1 1cup jar of jelly. I made mint jelly using liquid stevia peppermint paddy sugar free syrup and blackberry jelly using DaVinci Blackberry sugar free syrup. Both are excellent. With all of the sugar free flavors available in syrup form there are amazing possibilities for truly zero carb jellies...;-)

PS: Just made Smores jelly (1/2c DaVinci Chocolate and 1/2c DaVinci Toasted Marshmallow Sugar Free Syrups) and chocolate peanut butter jelly (1/2c DaVinci Chocolate and 1/2c DaVinci Peanut Butter Sugar Free Syrups)... ;-0

PPS: If you are not satisfied with the taste, you can melt the jelly by placing the jar in boiling water, add additional flavor, sweetener, or other ingredients and reset the jelly in your refrigerator...

locarbman…. ;-)

Last edited by locarbman; 08-03-2011 at 12:13 AM..
locarbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:58 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Squigglywiggly
Stats: 220/193.2/160
WOE: low carbing/leptin reset
Start Date: June 2010
I am too scared to own or use one, after one exploding when we were kids, porridge sprayed everywhere, especially the ceiling. They scare me!
Squigglywiggly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:47 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NineOhNine
Stats: 250/225/155
WOE: Generic <72 carbs/day
I have an electronic one and love it--especially for soups and stocks (pho-type stock with shirataki, for example), corned beef, artichokes, roasts. I even made a low carb cheesecake in it once--I should do that again, because it came out quickly with perfect texture!
NineOhNine is offline   Reply With Quote