Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Can we make Rugala with over50mom's carbquik cream cheese coffee cake recipe? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/321009-can-we-make-rugala-over50moms-carbquik-cream-cheese-coffee-cake-recipe.html)

Beeb 02-20-2005 04:37 PM

Can we make Rugala with over50mom's carbquik cream cheese coffee cake recipe?

I love Rugala and was thinking maybe we can tweak the recipe and come up with Rugala. The ingredients are almost the same, just will need to add SF preserves to this.

How about it, you think we can do this?? :dunno:

CarolynF 02-21-2005 07:25 AM

Hi Beeb..

What is rugala??? I'm sure it is something wonderful...;)

Pami 02-21-2005 09:46 AM

Rugelach are cream cheese pastries,
rolled up around a filling, like cinnamon
and nuts (my favorite), or poppy seeds,
or a fruit filling, then baked.

They look like this:

http://www.ruthys.com/rugelach.jpg

Beeb 02-21-2005 12:16 PM

Here is a recipe, needs to be lowcarbed. I will put my idea next to the regular ingredients. Anyone who can think of a better idea or add to these ideas, bring them on, need all the help I can get!! I think without the currants and with SF jam this will work. The high carb ones are to die for. Hopefully these will turn out good.

Rugala

Serves: 36

Ingredients
8 oz cream cheese at room temperature
2 cups flour (2 cups carbquik or 1 cup almond flour & 1 cup carbquik)
1 cup butter at room temperature
2 Tbsp sugar (2 Tbsp splenda or sweetener of choice)
1 cup ground pecans
1 cup currants (don't think we need these)
1/2 cup sugar (1/2 cup sweetener of choice, or combo of sweeteners)
1 tsp cinnamon
12 oz apricot jam (any SF jam flavor will work)

Method

For dough: Combine cream cheese, flour, butter and 2 Tbsp sugar in processor or mixer and blend well. Divide dough into 4 pieces. Dust each with flour, shaking off excess. Roll each piece between sheets of waxed paper into 10" circle. Refrigerate 1 hour.

For filling: Combine pecans, currants, sugar and cinnamon in mixing bowl. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease baking sheets. Spread each circle of dough with apricot jam. Divide filling among circles, spreading evenly. Cut each into 12 wedges. Roll up each wedge from bottom to point.

Arrange on prepared sheets, point side down. Bake until golden, about 16-17 minutes. Transfer to wire rack and let cool. Store cookies in airtight container.

Tips: Be sure to work on just 1 circle at a time and keep others refrigerated. Don't overdo the jam and cinnamon/pecan filling because they tend to overflow and will burn quickly on your baking sheets. Remove at once from the baking sheet to cool on racks when they turn golden brown on top.

After rolling out between waxed paper, one hour of cooling is perfect to cut out, but they may be made ahead and refrigerated longer. Leave them out a bit before cutting out so dough won't be so stiff to handle properly and roll well.

CarolynF 02-21-2005 12:40 PM

Linda..

This sounds delish..But I was thinking that Julie's pie crust
is 1/2 cup butter (fat) to 2 cups CQ..same as Over50's pastry
for her coffee cake..

Now the above recipe is 4 times as much fat..to the same
amount of flour sub..i.e,, 8 ounces cream cheese plus one cup
of butter to 2 cups CQ...This would make a very buttery dough..and might be hard to keep together..Maybe 4 ounces of
cream cheese and 4 ounces of butter might make a more workable dough..That CQ does absorb the fat like flour does..of
course there is some fat in CQ, too...

Refrigeration would also be crucial with this much fat..and
I would roll it out using Press N Seal...love that stuff...

If you are experimenting, let us know...:)

Beeb 02-21-2005 01:10 PM

CarolynF you are a genius!! I am going to try this tonight and will use only 1/2 cup butter and 4 ounces of cream cheese, but I will be using 1 cup almond flour and 1 cup carbquik.

Do you think that with the almond flour, the 1/2 cup butter and lower cream cheese measurement will be enough?

Bfranke 02-21-2005 01:12 PM

I make something very similar, but with a yeast dough. I think with out looking up the recipe, it is flour with butter cut in like pastry dough, with water, yeast, sugar added, then eggs. This is chilled and then rolled into walnut sized balls, rolled out on powdered sugar, then filled. I use apricot filing and pinch to the center from 4 sides, or nutmeats mixed with egg white and sugar. I have tried many ways of de-carbing this, but nothing successful so far. I plan to try Jena Marie cake flour mix next time. I suspect that they maybe could be rolled in the polyd.
Bette

tiva 02-21-2005 01:28 PM

I often make rugelach, but with all almond flour. Rugelach is supposed to be very very rich, but not very sweet, so cutting down on the fats would be a drastic change. I've found it can convert to low carb quite well. Here's my recipe:

The dough:

* 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
* 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
* 1 cup almond flour

The filling:

* 1/2 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
* 1/3 cup splenda (granular, for the right consistency)
* 2 teaspoons cinnamon
You could substitute some low carb preserves, I suppose. Or you can use grated low-carb chocolate too.

The dough:

1. cream the cream cheese and the butter together, about 2 minutes. Add the almond flour and beat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.

Filling and baking the rugelach:

2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line 2 cookie sheets with baking parchment.

3. Mix the ingredients for the filling and divide the dough into 2 balls. Roll the balls out into 2 circles about 1/8 inch thick and 9 inches in diameter. Spread the filling over the dough.

4. Using a dull knife, cut each circle of dough into 16 pie-shaped pieces about 2 inches wide at the circumference. Roll up from the wide side to the center. Place the rugelach on the parchment-lined cookie sheets. Bake in the oven on the middle and lower racks, switching after 12 minutes, also switching back to front. Continue baking about 13 more minutes, or until golden brown. Remove the rugelach to racks to cool.

I often just mix the walnut filling in with the dough, chill it, and roll into little balls, instead of doing the filling and rolling. Either way, this is delicious and rich, but not sweet.

Beeb 02-21-2005 07:08 PM

What a mess!!! I made the recipe I posted. It was so wet and sticky. I put it in frig for 2 hours, then I spread the jam and nut mixture on it, cut it into wedges and THEN I COULDN'T PICK IT UP. It fell apart, so I baked the whole thing (looked like a pizza) and even cooled it fell apart, but it tasted great!!

I only did 1/3 of the dough, so I added more almond flour and rolled it out again and it's in the frig until tomorrow when I have time to try again.

I hate not being a good baker!!:cry:

24Fan 02-22-2005 03:56 AM

Beeb, I love rugelach too :)

Tiva, I like your idea for the recipe, it sounds very rich and not too sweet, like it's supposed to. Thanks, think I'll try that and bring them to work to see how they go over.

CarolynF 02-22-2005 08:21 AM

Linda...I think it's hard to figure out how much CQ/almond flour
and fat to use to make a pliable dough...I would defintely add
more almond flour rather than more CQ...Maybe a bit of xantham
gum would help things stick together too...

Let us know how today's batch turns out..:)

24Fan 02-22-2005 11:29 AM

Beeb, I feel for ya for I had the same experience today. I did something wrong with that wonderful recipe using almond flour. Mine were icky and I was unable to roll them into little cookies. I also overbaked them. Sad day for my workmates, no cookies for them (or me). :)

I think I had too much cream cheese, I didn't actually measure, just used up some I had in frig.

Beeb 02-22-2005 01:02 PM

UPDATE! I rolled out the rest of the dough last night after adding about 3/4 cups more of almond flour. Left them overnight in the frig and just made the cookies about 1 hour ago. They were very stiff right from the frig, but when they started to warm up some, they became really hard to roll, very mushy. I did it, but sure wasn't easy. Baked them as directed, cooled on wire rack and then went to eat one and IT FELL APART!!!:mad: I think more almond flour, like another whole cup, less cream cheese, maybe 3 oz not 4oz, 1/4 cup butter and some butter extract. They taste wonderful, though, so I know its just a matter of tweaking to get the dough right.

I'm determined now, so I will be trying these again real soon and when I do I will report back.

Maybe someone would like to try with my new ideas and let us know, or maybe some of you great bakers in here have some others ideas!!

;) :D

CarolynF 02-22-2005 02:32 PM

Linda...I'm not sure what you are using for almond flour..but
there is one (more the meal) that has fat in it..itself..nut fat..LOL..
so it probably wouldn't absorb the other fat too readily..

I have no cream cheese right now..but will try after a trip to
Wally..

inatic 02-22-2005 05:03 PM

:D :DROOL: my (jewish) grandmother makes the best rugalah in the world !

Hmmm might just have to make this for Free day :D

24Fan 02-23-2005 01:42 PM

I had a thought about this cookie last night :) How about rolling it out onto wax paper, cutting them into their little wedges, then flipping the wax paper onto the cookie sheet, add the filling and THEN rolling them up into their shape? Be a lot easier then lifting them off after rolling, since it's a wet dough.....no? I'll try it this weekend.

tiva 02-24-2005 01:59 PM

You can also make them by simply adding the filling ingredients right to the dough (in step 1), then chilling, then rolling little balls in your palms and baking them. In other words, skip all the flattening, filling, rolling steps. They taste just as good, and they're a lot easier to make this way.

chickiemom 02-26-2005 09:42 AM

Great idea Tiva. Thanks for your recipe. Going on my to try list. Love those little cream cheese goodies specially with some chocolate in the nut filling