Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2005, 04:52 PM   #1
Body By Johnsonville

Gallery: CandidCam
WOE: Food...not "food"
Black Strap Molasses sub for regular Molasses?

Ok, so I know that black strap molasses is molasses that has been refined to the point that there is very little sugar left, and that it is more concentrated than regular molasses.

So say a recipe calls for .25C of regular molasses, how might a person sub blackstrap? Maybe half as much and add a few TB worth of sweetener (or even vegetable glycerine, which would help add back the sweetness and the liquid)? I LOVE molasses cookies, baked beans, and sweet rye breads made with molasses, and I don't really know how else to sub for the regular molasses in these recipes, but if there is a way to do it, I sure do want to!

Any thoughts, BTDTs? I know Scott had suggested using 1/2 - 1/3 as much blackstrap to equal the flavor of regular molasses, but figuring-out the sweetness has me perplexed. I am assuming I would need to add a bit more water to recipes, too.

k
CandidCam is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2005, 06:30 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Cap57
Stats: 155/150/135 (5'8")
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Sept. 2003
I find blackstrap molasses much, much more concentrated than regular molasses. In my Spice Sugar Cookies, (which are the best LC cookies I've tried), the original recipe called for:

1/4 cup molasses
1 cup sugar

I use:
1 tsp. blackstrap molasses
1 1/2 tsp. TrishZ's liquid Splenda
2 packets Stevia Plus
1/4 cup Erythritol
2 Tab. Whey Low
3/4 cup Polydextrose

I'm a "taste as I go" kind of cook. I think I originally thought that the blackstrap, liquid Splenda, and E should have replaced the sweetness of 1 cup sugar and 1/4 cup molasses. I ended up adding the Stevia Plus and Whey Low after the dough was mixed up, because it wasn't sweet enough. It did have enough molasses taste, however. I didn't add any extra liquid either. Maybe 1/4 cup of regular molasses has a more concentrated sweetness than 1/4 cup of sugar does, so you have to actually up the amount of sweetner subs to compensate.

I probably haven't been much help. I would start with a tsp. of blackstrap per 1/4 cup of molasses called for, and 1/4 cup of sweetness equivalent, and taste.
When I'm subbing blackstrap for brown sugar, however, I only use 1 tsp. per cup of sugar, along with the sugar subs.
Old 02-19-2005, 06:52 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BettyR
WOE: maderate carbs
Start Date: 1/15/04
I agree with Cap57, if a recipe calls for 1/4 cup molasses I also use about 1 to 2 teaspoons and then make up the difference with other sweetners.

I'm also a taste as you go cook. With our type of cooking we quite often have to make the recipe up as we go. I would start with 1 teaspoon as Cap said and then if you feel you need more later you can always add it.

If you've ever used too much black strap molasses in a recipe you will be very sure never to do that again. Voice of experience here.

Betty
BettyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 08:30 AM   #4
Body By Johnsonville

Quote:
Originally posted by BettyR
I agree with Cap57, if a recipe calls for 1/4 cup molasses I also use about 1 to 2 teaspoons and then make up the difference with other sweetners.

I'm also a taste as you go cook. With our type of cooking we quite often have to make the recipe up as we go. I would start with 1 teaspoon as Cap said and then if you feel you need more later you can always add it.

If you've ever used too much black strap molasses in a recipe you will be very sure never to do that again. Voice of experience here.

Betty
Ooh, I can imagine that substituting 1:1 would be a lesson hard learned...

Wow, good to know that it is THAT concentrated. I probably would have started with at least at TB. I am definite a taste-as-I-go cook, too.

That makes sense that I would probably have to sub a full .25C worth of sweetness (or more), too.

Thanks!

k
Old 02-19-2005, 10:16 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NulloModo
Just a word of warning, Blackstrap molasses is by far not low-carb. A cup of regular molasses contains 250 grams of sugar. A cup of blackstrap contains 200 grams. A cup of pure granulated sugar also contains 200 grams of sugar.
NulloModo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 10:36 AM   #6
Body By Johnsonville

Quote:
Originally posted by NulloModo
Just a word of warning, Blackstrap molasses is by far not low-carb. A cup of regular molasses contains 250 grams of sugar. A cup of blackstrap contains 200 grams. A cup of pure granulated sugar also contains 200 grams of sugar.
True...but if a person needs to use only a fraction of the amt. of regular molasses to achieve the same flavor, then I can't imagine that very many carbs would be added to a recipe. According to ******.com a full TB has only 12 carbs, so 2tsp. would be no more than 8 carbs. Divided into a full recipe of bread or cookies that would add negligible carbs/serving, IMO.

k
Old 02-20-2005, 10:42 AM   #7
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: scott123
Stats: 245/220/205
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2/6/04
Nullo, you make a valid point. Molasses is another form of sugar and should be treated with care.

My recommendation of bs molasses isn't an advocation of a no holds barred approach to sugar consumption, it's yet another in a long line of trace sugar compromises. For those that eschew trace sugar such as the kind you find in pepperoni, mayo, deli meats and granular splenda, then, obviously, bs molasses is out of the question. For those of us that are okay with a carb here or there, then bs molasses is, imo, the best option for creating brown sugar. Assuming that 1 cup of brown sugar can be made with 1 tsp of BS molasses + AS, then that's in the realm of 4 net carbs per cup. Even in the context of the higher molasses baked goods that Candidcam is investigating, I still believe the bs molasses carb impact to be fairly minimal.

I'm a big bs molasses fan for one other reason as well. Since regular brown sugar is made from white sugar and molasses, using molasses for a lower carb AS based version gets us the closest possible flavor to the real thing. The artificial brown sugar flavorings you find either combined with sweeteners (brown sugar twin, etc.) or sold by themselves just aren't up to snuff. I'm still holding out hope that a decent one can be found, but my gut is telling me that this is one of those flavors (much like banana) that can't be reproduced artificially.

Is blackstrap molasses perfect? Does the flavor acquired from it, when combined with AS come close to molasses and in turn, when combined with additional sweetener come close to brown sugar? I'm not sure. Until we find a decent brown sugar flavoring, though, I think this is as close as we're going to get while still keeping the carb impact low.

CandidCam, if you're subbing bs molasses for a lot of molasses and the carb count get's high, I'd play around with a little coffee. Also a little food coloring might help. A few teaspoons of bs molasses won't give you anywhere near the right color for your baked good. As far as making up for the extra liquid from converting from regular molasses to bs, I'd give the polyd corn syrup a shot (minus vanilla). That should provide the right amount of water, texture, sweetener, and, most importantly, humectant (water attracting properties).

Cathy/Betty, it's funny, for the longest time I contended that very small amounts of blackstrap molasses were necessary to achieve the same amount of flavoring as regular molasses. Having only used it in BBQ sauce and not measuring it that carefully, I didn't have much to back up my stance when people claimed more was necessary. Dana Carpender is in the high quantity bs molasses camp, and since so many people were reiterating her recipe for brown sugar, rather than trying to beat them, I joined them.

So... now people are saying less bs is necessary. Sounds good I guess it teaches me to take less of a third person/theoretical approach and go in the kitchen and confirm my theory at the very beginning.
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 01:00 PM   #8
Body By Johnsonville

Quote:
Originally posted by scott123

CandidCam, if you're subbing bs molasses for a lot of molasses and the carb count get's high, I'd play around with a little coffee. Also a little food coloring might help. A few teaspoons of bs molasses won't give you anywhere near the right color for your baked good. As far as making up for the extra liquid from converting from regular molasses to bs, I'd give the polyd corn syrup a shot (minus vanilla). That should provide the right amount of water, texture, sweetener, and, most importantly, humectant (water attracting properties).
I have a recipe for Swedish Limpa bread that I found that also uses a bit of instant coffee and not too much molasses (quarter cup of regular, so I need to experiment with the BS), so that will be my first experiment. I think if that works that I would always use a little BS molasses and coffee + sweetener to use in place of regular molasses in recipes.

And I was kind of wondering how using glycerine would work to add the liquid/moisture AND sweetness. Like, say, mixing 2TB glycerine + 1-2TB water + 2tsp. BS molasses + liquid Splenda to taste to = molasses...just brainstorming. I think your idea of making a polyD/Splenda syrup with BS molasses is also a good one.

k
Old 02-20-2005, 01:43 PM   #9
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: scott123
Stats: 245/220/205
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2/6/04
Quote:
Originally posted by CandidCam
And I was kind of wondering how using glycerine would work to add the liquid/moisture AND sweetness. Like, say, mixing 2TB glycerine + 1-2TB water + 2tsp. BS molasses + liquid Splenda to taste to = molasses...just brainstorming.
I don't have any numbers in front of me, but I believe that glycerin is very hygroscopic (water loving), molasses is slightly less, and poly is less than either. That's my guess If that's true, then I think that glycerin would make an excellent component of a molasses replacer. Glycerine has quite a bit less bulk than molasses, though, and combining it with water will only exacerbate it's lack of texture, so I'd omit the water and go with either polyD or E. From what I've read, glycerin has flavor issues when used in excess. 2 T. sounds okay, but I wouldn't go much higher than that.

It's just a ballpark, but I'd say...

2 T. glycerine
2 T. polyd
1 t. water
15 drops trishz liquid splenda
2 t. bs molasses
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 02:26 PM   #10
Body By Johnsonville

Quote:
Originally posted by scott123
I don't have any numbers in front of me, but I believe that glycerin is very hygroscopic (water loving), molasses is slightly less, and poly is less than either. That's my guess If that's true, then I think that glycerin would make an excellent component of a molasses replacer. Glycerine has quite a bit less bulk than molasses, though, and combining it with water will only exacerbate it's lack of texture, so I'd omit the water and go with either polyD or E. From what I've read, glycerin has flavor issues when used in excess. 2 T. sounds okay, but I wouldn't go much higher than that.

It's just a ballpark, but I'd say...

2 T. glycerine
2 T. polyd
1 t. water
15 drops trishz liquid splenda
2 t. bs molasses
Ooh, now that sounds like a pretty good mix. I think I will have to try that blend!

k