Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2005, 10:38 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Motts Landing
Start Date: restarted Jan 08'
Whey Low Brown Sugar Subtitute

Whey Low Brown Sugar Subtitute
Has anyone tried this product yet (it is fairly new I believe) and if so, how does it taste? I don't care for Brown sugar Twin. Thanks!

Just thought it might be nice instead of using the molasses/splenda sub.

also...No sugar alcohols I believe

Last edited by Motts Landing; 02-12-2005 at 11:32 AM..
Motts Landing is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2005, 11:34 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mahyde
Stats: 119/110/110
WOE: moderate carbs/Zone
Start Date: April 2001
A quote from Scott123....

<Whey Low bulks, sweetens and caramelizes exactly like sugar does, because, quite simply, it is sugar.

So, no complicated equations, no substitutions and no combining, just one simple sweetener.

If I wasn't trying to lose weight or didn't care about my health, I'd be running out to buy the stuff.

I see sugar as heroin. If you believe that someone can mix a few different types of heroin together and come up with 'good' heroin, well... I have a bridge to sell you as well.>
mahyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 12:02 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Motts Landing
Start Date: restarted Jan 08'
guess I am a bit confused then because the Splenda website says...tastes like sugar because it's made from sugar.
So then what would be the difference with whey low? Sorry if I seem dense on this subject but thanks for any insight.
Motts Landing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 12:37 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NulloModo
Whey low is tricky stuff. It is basically a mix of lactose, fructose, and sucrose. They say that because of the way they combine the three they cancel each other out somehow. Personally, I think it is a load of bull****, but some people seem to be able to eat it and not gain... then again, some people can cheat every weekend and not gain...
NulloModo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 01:18 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mahyde
Stats: 119/110/110
WOE: moderate carbs/Zone
Start Date: April 2001
Soooo it is a mix of sugar, sugar and sugar. I believe that is how Scott put it. End of story, lol.
mahyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 02:29 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: showgirl
Stats: 127/116/115 5'3"
WOE: diet free!
Start Date: 3/1/05
per their website it has been tested on diabetics and causes no blood sugar rise...

but to answer your question, i have purchased the whey low gold and it is brown, but it is not sticky like conventional brown sugar and it doesn't really taste like brown sugar, just sweet. when i use it, i end up adding more molasses to my recipe. i will not buy it again.
showgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 02:49 AM   #7
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: scott123
Stats: 245/220/205
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2/6/04
Equating whey low to heroin? Moi?

In an effort be a little less cantankerous, let me clarify my position on whey low a bit.

Glycemic testing is not a comprehensive method of determining carb impact, especially when a low glycemic carb like fructose is involved. I will concede that the blood sugar tests point to the possibility that digestion of these sugars could be blocked in some way, but glycemic tests by themselves are not, imo, conclusive. Glycemic testing only paints a picture of the rate of absorption, not the overall carbohydrate absorbed. 24 carbs absorbed over 3 hours time are just as anti-ketogenic as 24 carbs absorbed over a half hour period.

When a company comes out with a product that contains three different sugars that's supposed to act like a non sugar, they bear the full responsibility of the burden of proof. Beyond the glycemic testing, which I believe to be circumstancial evidence, Vivilac (the makers of whey low) have little else backing up their claim. I keep returning to their website in the hopes that new research/new data will appear. It doesn't.

Excessive fructose consumption has been link to increased tryglycerides amongst a host of other ailments. You're not going to see warning label regulations pop up today or tomorrow, but they are not far off for fructose/fructose based products. People are already starting to wake up. Fructose will be the next hydrogenated oil. If Vivilac were perfectly honest/forthcoming, they'd put a warning label on whey low relating to the dangers of excessive use.

I would love it if whey low did turn out to be low carb. Polyd will caramelize a little bit, but no where near as well as whey low does. Until I see some more conclusive evidence, though, I consider whey low to be sugar.

Motts Landing, splenda can legally say that "it's made from sugar" but when you start analyzing it from a molecular level, it has very little in common with sugar. There's absolutely nothing natural about splenda, even though the manufacturers would love you to believe so. It's a chlorinated hydrocarbon. Not that it's bad for you, it's just not natural nor is it anything like sugar, other than being sweet.
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 07:57 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: showgirl
Stats: 127/116/115 5'3"
WOE: diet free!
Start Date: 3/1/05
Quote:
Beyond the glycemic testing, which I believe to be circumstancial evidence, Vivilac (the makers of whey low) have little else backing up their claim. I keep returning to their website in the hopes that new research/new data will appear. It doesn't.
scott- can you email them and ask for new data? i really don't understand the data that's there already so i wouldn't know what questions to ask...
showgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 10:29 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CRosie
Stats: 266/186/150
WOE: my own low carb/sometimes lowfat plan
Start Date: May 21, 2007
I once communicated with the owner a bit, but he was evasive.

It seems to be a double edged sword. Companies like this one want to give you enough information to convince you to purchase the product, but not so much that it would divulge proprietary information, presumably to their competitors.

I understand that, but with health issues, it seems people need a bit more to go on than just "trust me." We need to understand the science.

I was also able to determine that the Whey Low product is somehow related to tagatose, since they were developed by the same researchers in the same lab or some such.

Not sure why tagatose has not been widely released for use in the U.S.

Rosie
CRosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 08:42 PM   #10
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: scott123
Stats: 245/220/205
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2/6/04
Showgirl, I've spoken to Vivilac's director of operations and the president of the company. They seemed like nice people, but couldn't point me to any more info than the glycemic testing. My issues with whey low go well beyond whether or not it's low carb. My real concern is the fructose. Vivilac's argument is that when consumed in moderation the fructose in their products doesn't pose any health risks. I bring up excessive fructose consumption being linked to increased triglycerides mainly because that's something that Vivilac is aware of/agrees with. One aspect of fructose that they don't bring up is it's links to increased insulin resistance. Increased insulin resistance, as you may or may not know, is a precursor to diabetes. So, here we have a company marketing a product to diabetics/overweight people prone to diabetes that may very well cause diabetes. A lot of diabetic organizations are backing away from supporting fructose as an alternative to sugar. Unfortunately, its taking some time for the information to get out. That's why I'm so vocal about this. I don't want to see the 10+ year learning curve that it took everyone to gain an understanding of the dangers of transfats.

I read as much as I can on this stuff, but I'm certainly no expert. Ultimately, I'd like to get the whey low people and the anti-fructose people in the same cyber-room.

Rosie, I couldn't agree more about the need for more than just "trust me."

Tagatose was developed by the same lab that developed whey low. It was caught up in FDA approval issues for a bit, but I think that they're movig forward and it shouldn't be long before it starts showing up in products. It could be a while before it gets approval as a tabletop sweetener, though.
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:14 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: HappyCooker
Whey Low

Is there any new news on Whey Low? I purchased some just going by the carb count and didn't read the ingredients until I received the bag. I was hesitant to use it, but it does state that there are only 4 carbs per serving for the Whey Low for ice cream. It does make amazing ice cream, so I'm hoping that it's not entirely bad for those of us that are watching our carbs, sugar intake, weight, etc. Anxious to hear any updates!
HappyCooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:48 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: littlesky
I am diabetic but it is mostly resolved at the moment. I have used whey low a bunch of times in the past two years. It has not raised my blood sugar and I still lose weight while using it.

That being said it is just how it affects me and can be different for everyone. I do not follow any traditional low carb plans and can do a bit more carbs than I think most of us on this site do. I also haven't done much baking with it. I mostly use it to sweeten coffee, tho I have baked a few things with it and there was no difference to me.

Now I want to order some on the first of the month. I'm craving fudge and can't seem to get a recipe that works for me and i'm hoping to use a traditional recipe with the whey low. If it turns out then maybe i'll post it.

I'd say try it for yourself and see how it goes. If it hinders your weight loss then you can always pass the remainder of the bag on to someone else.
littlesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:44 PM   #13
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Why wouldnt you just use something else instead of something thays iffy. I have a supply of diabetisweet brown sugar sub from when they stopped making it, but I know theres another one out now that people use that is similar.
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:44 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jenna...
WOE: VLCarb
I've used WheyLow for many many years. Each Christmas I back CheeseCake Muffins and that them to a Christmas brunch decorated with cherries on top. These are a hit. I am so sensitive to sugar and can eat one or two without any cravings coming up for more sugar.

A friend who turned me on to it was a diabetic and she never had a blood sugar reaction to it using it daily.

I use it sparingly mostly for baking. It is perfect for that. I use the brown sugar for rubs and making pulled pork.

I'm a fan of stevia but when that doesn't sub good enough it's wheylow for me.

... KETOSIS TAKE ME AWAY...
jenna... is offline   Reply With Quote