Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2005, 06:42 PM   #1
Pam
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Pam
Stats: 181/150/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: March 2001
Homemade pancake syrup

Does anyone have a good recipe for pancake syrup?
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2005, 07:04 AM   #2
Pam
Major LCF Poster!

Anyone?
Old 01-29-2005, 09:48 AM   #3
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I just buy that Mapleine stuff at the grocery store, right near the other flavoring extracts, and follow the directions using Splenda or another AS in place of sugar - if you want it thickened, you can use some guar or xanthan gum or some Thicken Thin Not/Starch.

Char
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 10:15 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deannie
WOE: LC/allergies
Start Date: restarted Oct 4, 03
When I was a kid and we ran out of pancake syrup my dad used to make some. I think it was about a 1/2 c. water to one cup sugar and maybe a 1/4 -1/2 tsp. maple extract??? Then he boiled it until it got thick.

It was a looong time ago. HTH
Deannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 10:46 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dizneegirl
Locarbman made a successful pancake syrup in the Liquid Stevia thread:

Liquid Stevia Pancake Syrup

Hi, I made my own Stevia sugar free pancake syrup today...taste's as good as DaVinci's ;-)

1t Liquid Stevia (= 4c sugar, 0 carbs)
1T Imitation Maple extract (3 carbs)
1/2t Imitation Butter Flavor (0 carbs)
1/4t Lemon extract (0.25 carbs)
2T Glycerine (0 carbs)
1/8t Salt (0 carbs)
1/2t Xanthan Gum (0 carbs)
25oz Water (0 carbs)

Blend ingredients with hand mixer, store in 'used' DaVinci bottle... ;-)

Nutrition Facts:
Serving size 1 teaspoon
150 servings per bottle
Calories 0
Fat 0
Carbohydrate 0
Protein 0

Of course there are at least 13 calories per bottle but the USDA does allow ME to call anything less than 0.4 carbs per serving '0' LOL!
Old 01-31-2005, 01:25 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oliveoyl
Stats: 208/166/165
WOE: Low Carb Primal
Start Date: August 2002
This is from another recipe site; I don't remember which one but I think the recipe originated with Barbo. I've made some changes, but I don't remember what they are.

1 cup warm water
16 pkts splenda (or 2/3 cup bulk splenda)
2 tsp maple extract
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
shake of salt
1/2 tsp guar gum

Mix everything in the blender. (Be sure to hold the top on with a pot holder or it will fly everywhere!) The mixture will seem quite thin, but it will get thicker after a day. Keep it in the refrigerator and heat it before serving. You can experiment with the amount of splenda and maple extract and guar gum till it's to your taste.
oliveoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 02:01 PM   #7
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: scott123
Stats: 245/220/205
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2/6/04
I haven't made this yet. The consistency should be fairly thick when chilled, but just right warmed. The maple flavoring quantity I'm basing on the other recipes. The sweetener will probably need to be tweaked as well.

2 Cups Polydextrose
3/4 C. Water
2 tsp. maple extract
2.5 Cups post-synergy sweetening equivalent:
... 1/4 t. concentrated liquid splenda (1 C. equivalent)
... 1/4 C. erythritol*
... 2 T. Ace K
1 drop each red, yellow, blue food coloring

Bring to boil, let cool. Taste, adding additional splenda, if needed. Chill.

*The erythritol shouldn't recrystallize/go grainy when this syrup is chilled. If it does, it should melt again once it's heated before serving. Also, the erythritol may make this syrup go cloudy when chilled, again, heating should resolve this.

Polydextrose has the same preservative qualities as sugar. I've had a polydextrose syrup in the fridge now for 4 weeks with no change in taste/appearance. Although I think a syrup like this could probably last indefinitely, I'd still suggest using it within 3 weeks. It can be frozen as well.

If you, like me, enjoy a lot of syrup on pancakes/waffles, I'd make sure that you're body tolerates PDX well before using this. We're talking a lot of fiber here.

I think a polyd/xanthan hybrid might also be a possibility.
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 03:50 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CindyL
Start Date: Feb. '03
What is guar gum. Will this make your syrup thicker, and if so why cant you take DaVincii syrup and heat it and add the guar gum to the mixture before eating it? I like the DaVincii syrup but it is really thin for syrup on waffles/pancakes. Any thoughts?
Cindy
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 04:02 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Guar gum is a thickening agent, like xanthan gum.

Yes, it will make the syrup thicker, and I think some people have done that in the past. With the guar gum, you'd definitely want to heat it to mix it in. Xanthan gum could be added to cold syrup. You'd just want to watch with either that it was sprinkled on and mixed thoroughly... they can clump easily.

You could also reduce the syrup to thicken it (but that, of course, would also reduce the number of servings you'd get. )
dizneegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 05:26 PM   #10
Pam
Major LCF Poster!

THANK YOU everyone for your recipes!!!!! I plan to try each one. Scott, what is Ace K? Is this something I really need to make the syrup?
Old 01-31-2005, 07:54 PM   #11
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Pam, ace k is short for acesulfame potassium, another type of artificial sweetener. Most diet sodas are an ace k/splenda combo. Diabetisweet contains ace k (along with isomalt). Although used by itself it's pretty horrible, it has a fantastic synergy with splenda, making it an ideal candidate for a splenda/erythritol/ace k blend. It's sold under the brand names sweet one and sunnett.

Do you need it? Well... maybe not. A Polydextrose/Splenda/erythritol/ace K is about as close as you're going to get to the taste of sugar without non erythritol SAs. In something very sweet like pancake syrup, if the sweetener isn't on the money, it'll be very noticeable. Can you get away with just PDX/Splenda/erythritol? Perhaps. When I list 'ace k' in a recipe, I normally say 'ace k or a good brand of stevia,' but I'm finding that ace k is so reliably good (in a small amount) that I'm veering a little bit away from stevia. I've also stumbled onto a very good source for ace k recently, so that's another reason why I'm so gung ho about it.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:44 PM   #12
Body By Johnsonville

Gallery: CandidCam
WOE: Food...not "food"
Awesome thread...and very timely! I just discovered that Aunt Jemima no longer appears to be making their LC syrup. It was the only one without SAs that tasted really good (though not as good as REAL syrup from maple sap). I just knew that there had to be some simple recipes out there!

k
CandidCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 10:39 PM   #13
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: argo2d
scott123 -- i have a question about synergy -- does using gums like guar and xanthan and expert foods detract from the overall sweetness? i found that when i used thickners in my ice cream, it tasted sweet just as an ice cream base but after the ice cream maker, it got a lot less sweet?
argo2d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 01:32 AM   #14
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Argo, from my experience with them, gums don't impact the sweetness profile. Are you sure the ice cream was sweet enough to begin with? Cold impairs the ability to taste, so ice cream base, at room temp, should really be almost sickeningly sweet in order for it to be the right level of sweetness when frozen.
Old 02-01-2005, 05:20 AM   #15
Resident Trans Fat Expert

Gallery: Matt
Stats: 370/200/170
WOE: Low GI / south beach type diet
Start Date: Low GI Started: 4-05
id just suggest the walden farms pancake syrup - no sugar alcohols, no carbs, no calories.. and tastes amazing.
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 05:35 PM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CindyL
Start Date: Feb. '03
Thanks dizneegirl for info on the gums...I think I may try it although I did find that DaVincii does have pancake syrup too. Well see how it works.
Cindy
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 08:26 PM   #17
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: argo2d
Quote:
Originally posted by scott123
Argo, from my experience with them, gums don't impact the sweetness profile. Are you sure the ice cream was sweet enough to begin with? Cold impairs the ability to taste, so ice cream base, at room temp, should really be almost sickeningly sweet in order for it to be the right level of sweetness when frozen.
ha! that makes total sense!! thanks once again!!
argo2d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:46 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: AdrianaG
Does anybody sell small packages of guar and xanthan gum. Givent he tiny amounts in most recipes, the packages I can find at my growcery and natural food stores seem ridiculously large and expensive.
AdrianaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:35 AM   #19
skg
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: skg
Stats: 220/169/140
WOE: Low carbing
Start Date: March 31, 2008
I get my small packages of xanthan gum at a farmers market health food store.
skg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 05:53 AM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: AdrianaG
Quote:
Originally Posted by skg View Post
I get my small packages of xanthan gum at a farmers market health food store.
I have checked our independent health food stores and Whole Foods and they only carry the Bob's Red Mill packages - too big for my cluttered cupboard and too expensive for my wallet...

Question - can I substitute guar gum for xanthan gum? I use Profibe for cholesterol control and it is made of grpaefruit pectin and guar gum...
AdrianaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 08:05 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nicole714
Stats: 18/12/8
WOE: lowcarb
I know you are looking for a recipe, but the DaVinci sf pancake syrup is pretty darn good
nicole714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:30 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nikki2777
Subscribing to this thread.
Nikki2777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 01:34 PM   #23
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dankejane
SF syrups

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole714 View Post
I know you are looking for a recipe, but the DaVinci sf pancake syrup is pretty darn good
I had a pretty bad experience with Starbucks SF syrups which is similar to DaVinci. I am a diabetic, so I really need to watch the sugars. I didn't check the label which is my own booboo. :blush: I couldn't figure out why my blood sugar spiked when I used these syrups. I don't know what the Davinci labels are saying, but the following is something for you to watch out for.

the label says that it contains Maltidextron and Sucrolose. This is what caused the blood sugar spikes. I wasn't aware of the connection, between these and the spikes but often wondered why, when I had something that was sugar free I got the spike.

From Dr. Bernstiens Diabetes Solution book. "These are all noncarbohydrate sweeteners that vary in their avilability and can be used to satisfy a sweet tooth without significantly effecting blood sugars. But when sold in powdered form, under such brand names as Sweet'n Low, Equal, The Sweet One, Sunnet, Sugar Twin, Splenda, and others, thse products usually contain a sugar to increase bulk, and will rapidly raise blood sugar " "when you buy them in packets and powdered form, with the exception of stevia, they usually contain about 96 percent glucose or maltodextrin and about 4 percent artificial sweetener. If you read the "Nutrition Facts" label on granulated Splenda, for example, it lists, as such labels must, ingredients in order from the most to least: dextrose (gluclose), maltodextrin (a mixture of sugars), and finally sucralose. Most powdered sweeteners are sold as low-calorie and/or sugar free sweetenrs because they contain only 1 gram of sugar as compared to 3 grams of sucrose in a similar packet labeled "sugar"."
He then goes on in relation to this.

Under the heading of diet foods and sugar free foods he says: Here is a partial list of some fo the many sugars you can find in "sugar-free" foods. All of these will raise your blood sugar.
carob, corn syrup, dextrin, dextrose, dulcitol, fructose, glucose, honey, lactose, levulose, maltodextrin, maltose, mannitol, mannose, molasses, sacchrose, sorbitol, sorghum, treacle, turbinado, xylitol, xylose."

I hope this is helpful to some of you who are living low carb because you have to, like me. really really read your labels. He suggests using the pill forms of the sweeteners, as they are not bulked out and crushing them.

I just looked at the Davinci syrup information, contains splenda. Splenda, the white kind has Maltodextrin, Sucralose. the brown splenda, you add molasses. Go figure eh?

Last edited by dankejane; 05-13-2011 at 01:42 PM.. Reason: add information
dankejane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:57 PM   #24
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: caroll
liquid stevia

what brand of liquid stevia did dizneegirl use in her syrup?
caroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:10 PM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow... blast from the past!

It was actually locarbman's syrup - and it was a homemade liquid stevia (check out this thread). It was powdered NOW brand stevia that he made into a liquid equivalent to liquid sucralose (which was not available for home buyers at the time).

Good luck!

dankejane - yes, everyone needs to do their research into what's in the food they eat, and what they can handle. DaVinci does not contain maltodextrin - funny the Starbucks would. It's generally used in powdered/solid applications, not usually the liquids like the syrups. It's also something that a general low-carber would need to count as a carb (that's why Splenda packets count as a carb each, and the bulk Splenda counts as 24 carbs per cup... it's all that maltodextrin), but something that would probably affect a diabetic much more. Now that it's available, either the pure liquid sucralose or the pure powdered sucralose (NOT the stuff in the packets or bulk) are good bets... they contain no filler, but are harder to measure.
dizneegirl is offline   Reply With Quote