Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2005, 04:36 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patt3
Stats: 173/153/150
WOE: /low carb
Breakfast in the car ideas??

Seems like I'm always having to eat breakfast in the car. I often have morning meetings and I have to drive 1 1/2 hours to get there. I have been eating Atkins and other breakfast bars, but I'm tryng to cut down on those. I also sometimes have cheese sticks or string cheese. any other ideas???
Patt3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2005, 05:00 PM   #2
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: 5cats4me
Stats: 185/134/130
WOE: Atkins without counting
Start Date: Jan 04
Spongebob's Flaxmeal bread tastes like banana bread and it fills me up until lunchtime! With the slice I cut I think I probably have 2 servings, but at 2 carbs per serving, it's worth it!
5cats4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 05:04 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pdianne
Stats: 300/ DONE - size 6, 150 and happy
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 2003
Breakfast burritos with LC tortilla.

tuna muffins

crustless quiche (i did this all the time when i commuted - just put it in a paper towel or napkin)

smoothie
pdianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 07:10 PM   #4
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Rollups! Just roll your favorite thinly sliced meat around cheese.

Some of my faves: Smoked salmon, lox-type, wrapped around a "stick" of cream cheese.

Prosciutto rolled around cream cheese or a stick of provolone.

Roast beef wrapped around white cheddar.

Ham wrapped around a stick of Swiss.

Sandwich-sized pepperoni wrapped around a mozzarella or string cheese stick.

You get the idea!

Make them up the night before and put them in a sandwich bag. Cut up some sweet red pepper strips or jicama too if you like - the crunch and the sweetness of the veggies is really nice with the savory of the meat/cheese combo, AND you get in another veggie serving!

Char

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 07:32 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Great ideas! I had never thought of the meat/cheese roll ups for breakfast, but why not!! I love them for a lunch or a snack.
My next post will be about this spongebob's flax bread....need help!
Old 01-28-2005, 04:53 AM   #6
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: 5cats4me
Stats: 185/134/130
WOE: Atkins without counting
Start Date: Jan 04
There's a whole thread about Spongebob's bread, I'll bump it for you!
5cats4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 05:14 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NulloModo
I used to eat breakfast in the car all the time last year, and usually went for string cheese, flax muffins, chunks of sausage, anything that could be finger food.

However, this year I have taken to just getting up earlier and fixing something real and enjoying it with a nice cup of green tea, I find my whole morning goes much better that way, and I also have a fairly long (1 hour) commute. Try it some time, you may find it is easier to get into the routine than you think.
NulloModo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 08:04 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LadyTexun
Stats: 01-03-11 restart 222/212/175
WOE: Just Lo-Carb
Start Date: 01-'03 (again 01-2010, and again 1-'11)
I've been stalled so long I thought I'd try to cut cheese out for awhile and see if it helps... here's what I started today.

I make the 1.4 carb "hamburger" bun except I make it a bit sweet by adding a dash of vanilla extract and liquid splenda. Then slice and add a turkey sausage patty. Viola!!! breakfast while driving (I also drive about 1 hour to get to work)

This weekend I'm going to buy some ground turkey and ground pork and make my own sausage patties instead of buying the premade frozen ones.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:38 PM   #9
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Bfranke
Stats: 177.5/139.5/117.5
WOE: Modified Atkins/Exercise
Start Date: 12/26/05
Check the McGriddle thread. They sound great! I plan to make up a batch next week. Though a long commute is not my problem, waiting an hour after my thryoid meds is. So, I get up, take my pill, get dressed, go to work. Then eat at my first break. I have been taking muffins and bacon, but the McGriddles sound like a really nice change.
Bette
Bfranke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 03:58 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for even MORE ideas!!
Old 01-29-2005, 09:28 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sue421
Stats: 150/125/125
Start Date: Dec. 2003
Hmmm Char, you have me hungry reading those suggestions. I love, love eating in the car (especially if I am a passenger).
Sue421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 09:44 AM   #12
Gadget Gal

Well, Sue, roll some up and get somebody to take you for a ride!

Me too. DH and I bought a cool little AC/DC refrigerator which we take in the PT Cruiser whenever we go for a road trip. It's great for stuff like those rollups and deviled eggs and diet sodas!

Hmmmm, I think I need a road trip.....

Char
Old 01-30-2005, 12:26 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sue421
Stats: 150/125/125
Start Date: Dec. 2003
Char! That sounds like fun. I went to look on the net to see what PT Cruiser is - very nice!
Sue421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 01:51 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BettyR
WOE: maderate carbs
Start Date: 1/15/04
Char-
Ok-sorry for the thread jack here but Char I have to ask, how do you like your PT Cruiser?

I've been trying to get my DH to get me one for a couple of years and he keeps saying that he wants to wait until they've been out long enough to know how reliable they would be.

Well the last addition of the Consumers Reports that lists recommendations for used cars they rated the PT Cruiser very high in reliability.

One hurtle cleared, now I'd like to know as far as comfort, ride and convince of use, how do you like the car?
BettyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 01:58 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NulloModo
Quote:
Originally posted by BettyR
Char-
Ok-sorry for the thread jack here but Char I have to ask, how do you like your PT Cruiser?

I've been trying to get my DH to get me one for a couple of years and he keeps saying that he wants to wait until they've been out long enough to know how reliable they would be.

Well the last addition of the Consumers Reports that lists recommendations for used cars they rated the PT Cruiser very high in reliability.

One hurtle cleared, now I'd like to know as far as comfort, ride and convince of use, how do you like the car?
PT Cruisers are nice, very roomy and comfy inside, but also check out the Pontiac Vibe/Toyotal Matrix, Scion xB, Mazda3 Hatchback, and Honda Element if you are looking for something along those lines.
NulloModo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 04:58 PM   #16
Gadget Gal

Betty - my standard response to people who ask me how I like the car is this - if I thought I wanted one, and I knew then what I know now about them - I'd buy TWO! LOL!

Mine is a 2002, and I just find more and more things about it to love all the time. I swore I'd buy one someday when I saw the first concept. I'm glad I waited a little because I guess the first year they were pretty gutless. Mine is perfectly peppy enough for my uses.

What I love MOST is the versatility - the seats can be put into many different configurations, or removed entirely, to haul cargo. I've even had a 6 foot stepladder in there with DH sitting in the back seat! You just fold down the back seat behind the front passenger seat, and then that seat folds down flat too - no prob.

Before the Cruiser, I had a 1985 Toyota truck that I'd bought new, with a camper shell - so what I bought next had to be as able to haul stuff around as the truck. So far I've not been stymied by anything I've wanted to haul!

I bought a custom polished steel grill and custom "smoothy" (like baby moons) wheels for it and get comments from people all the time about how cute she is!

OK, thread jack over...if you want to PM me to further discuss feel free!!

Char

And PS - I see YOU have horses! I used to raise and show Arabians....
Old 01-30-2005, 09:12 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BettyR
WOE: maderate carbs
Start Date: 1/15/04
Char-
Thank you, I'm really going to have to start bugging DH harder now!

Yes, we have three, they're just pets. Easter was the first one, she's a short fat quarter horse that thinks she's the Queen of Sheba.

The second is a tall white horse named Buckwheat. He's a Tennessee Walker, Arabian mix. He's a very nice horse to ride but he spooks very easily. He's so funny if you have to get on concrete with him he tries to jump over the little black lines in the road. I don't know what he thinks they are.

The third is Tennessee Walker, he's a retired show horse and he has the brains of gnat. He doesn't like to have a saddle on his back and sometimes when you saddle him he will lay down and act like he's havening some sort of fit. I don't mess with him, he's my husbands horse. He's very pretty, he's black with a silver mane but I won't go near him, he's crazy.
BettyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 07:12 PM   #18
Gadget Gal

Betty, LOL!! I can picture all three in my mind's eye as well as their antics!

My favorite mare of all time was a half-Arabian, the other half consisting of Morgan and Saddlebred. She could trot as fast as everyone else was cantering - what a beautiful thing to see, AND ride! But she was definitely Arab in temperament, would spook at nothing, and pull funny stunts. My worst hurts in my life were due to that crazy animal - 4 broken ribs, a stomped foot with every bone bruised, and numerous fall-offs! But I loved her.

OK, I now return this thread to "Breakfast in the Car Ideas!"

Char
Old 02-01-2005, 09:59 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dizneegirl
I make "scrambled eggs to go" muffins for weekday mornings...

1 lb. sausage
12 eggs
8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese

Cook sausage until crumbly. Let cool and add eggs and cheese. Mix together and fill greased muffin tins. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes, or until golden brown and set.

Makes 18 muffins in a regular muffin tin... 3 muffins = 2 eggs. If your muffin cups are a little larger, you'll get 12.

These reheat great in the microwave... about 1 1/2 minutes for 2-3 "muffins".

You can eat them with your hands if they're not too hot, just like a muffin.

-----

These are good, too (and full of fiber!):

Dizneegirl's Coconut Flax Muffins

2 eggs
1/8 teaspoon stevia, or to taste (equal to 1/2 cup sweetness)
dash salt
2 tablespoons DaVinci (I used german chocolate cake)
1/4 cup coconut oil
4 tablespoons melted butter
1/3 cup vanilla whey protein
1 cup flax meal
1/3 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
2 teaspoons baking powder

Mix all ingredients and let rest several minutes. Fill 6 muffin tins (I use a silicone pan, you may need to grease metal pans) and bake at 350 degrees for about 12 minutes, until top springs back when lightly touched. Remove from pan and let cool. Makes 6 muffins.

Per Muffin (using Designer Whey Protein): 284 Calories; 27g Fat (78.9% calories from fat); 9g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 88mg Cholesterol; 313mg Sodium
Old 02-01-2005, 01:31 PM   #20
Allergic to Carbs- I break out in Fat!

Gallery: Diana
Stats: 176.5/138.8/134 (5'3")
WOE: The Original Atkins
Start Date: 8/11/03 Restart 4/08
I like to make Shake Muffins

2 scoops of shake mix
1/4 c splenda
1 egg white
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp oil

375 make into 4 muffins. Sprinkle with Splenda on top. You can eat them plain or slice with butter
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote