Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2005, 10:51 AM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tammay
Stats: 188/188/123
WOE: SBD Vegetarian
Start Date: Jan 2002 (restarted: 6/1/11)
Yep, bought mine on Netrition. They are selling it in 1 lb. bags which was great for me since I just wanted to try it. Now i know why you can get it in a 50 lb bag! I'm using about 2 tbsp a day and a lb isn't going to last me very long .

Tam
tammay is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2005, 10:46 PM   #62
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eko42
Stats: 184/170/125
WOE: hHCG
Start Date: July 9, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by tammay
I'm using about 2 tbsp a day
How much fiber does this add to your diet?

Erin---
eko42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 07:44 AM   #63
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by eko42
How much fiber does this add to your diet?

Erin---
2 Tablespoons Polydextrose: 25 Calories; 0g Fat; 0g Protein; 26g Carbohydrate; 23g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 11:54 AM   #64
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eko42
Stats: 184/170/125
WOE: hHCG
Start Date: July 9, 2013
Thanks Linda,
That adds quite a bit of fiber to a diet.
Good to know.

Erin---
eko42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 12:48 PM   #65
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Thanks for the reminder Linda. Per Tammay's suggestion, I started putting into my hot tea for added fiber, it dissolves perfectly.
Buffy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 02:47 PM   #66
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45
Thanks for the reminder Linda. Per Tammay's suggestion, I started putting into my hot tea for added fiber, it dissolves perfectly.
I have some PolyD, but haven't had a chance to try it out yet. I'm still trying to gather information about how to work with it. I've read that it can clump up if you add it dry to cold ingredients unless you blend it first with enough other dry ingredients. Are you saying that it will dissolve fine in hot liquids? What happens if you blend it into cold liquid? If it clumps when you do that, will it dissolve after you heat it?
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 07:54 PM   #67
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Linda, what I have found so far is that it clumps when adding it to oil based hot liquids, and is gritty, I use it with Coconut oil. But, I was very surprised to see it dissolve instantly in hot tea. ???
Buffy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 08:01 PM   #68
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
It dissolves fine in hot liquids, OR you can stir it into cold liquid and then heat it and it will dissolve. Also, using it in baked items (like your brownies, Linda) it works best to blend it with all the other dry ingredients and THEN add the wet stuff like eggs and such.

That's been my experience so far anyway!

Char
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 08:29 PM   #69
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tammay
Stats: 188/188/123
WOE: SBD Vegetarian
Start Date: Jan 2002 (restarted: 6/1/11)
Char, thanks for the advice on adding PolyD to liquids and heating it afterwards - that sounds like it would work well (duh, why didn't I think of that sooner )

Tam
tammay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 09:40 AM   #70
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: LauraFL
Stats: 230.2/226.8/170 5'6.5"
WOE: What day is it? *scratches head*
Bumping so I'll know where to find this thread. I keep getting to it from the PolyD Recipes sticky thread. (I feel like I don't know where I am, like being in the Twilight zone! ) Gonna read up on the Resistant Corn Starch 260 as I've never heard of it.
LauraFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 07:29 PM   #71
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: terez
WOE: Reinduction 1-2-2013
Thanks, Scott and LindaSue for your generosity in sharing all this information! I come to this board and I swear I learn more than I had ever even thought was out there.

I thought polydextrose was some out-there substance, and now I find you can actually buy it. I found a stevia that I really liked, after throwing out others. It's at Trader Joe's. It's not the liquid, but the powder tastes just like sugar.

I love the ganache idea. I've been unable to make anything chocolate because I had to heat Splenda or something and it was never sweet enough. Or other dishes, like AngelFood cake would just fall because of the lack of sugar. I also love the idea of the fake corn syrup; I'd love to make mock popcorn balls and Rice Krispie Treats. Trader Joe's had some sweet popcorn that had dried blueberries and other dried things in them. I don't think blueberries are all that high in carbs.

No doubt you'll come up with a wonderful recipe in about 24 hours for them both!

You guys and others on these boards have made Low Carb cooking a high art. I tune in all the time now so not to miss anything.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:57 AM   #72
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: scott123
Stats: 245/220/205
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2/6/04
Terez, thank you for your kind words. Rice crispie treats are marshmallow based. I'm still working the kinks out of my polyd marshmallow recipe. Once Netrition carries isomalt, I'll probably take a shot at an isomalt marshmallow- it shoud be a lot easer than a polyd version. Popcorn balls could be made with my polyd corn syrup, I think. You could also probably make them with the polyd caramels.
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 12:20 PM   #73
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lscoop
Stats: 115, maintaining
WOE: Mostly raw, organic, low-glycemic
Start Date: 8/05
Polydextrose Question

Hi-
I haven't posted here in quite some time....hope you're still the resident expert here, Scott, since you know so much about Poly-D....
As I think I mentioned a while back, I switched to a mostly raw food diet a couple of years ago. I still, however, don't believe in using sugar or agave nectar gratuitously just because it's raw and organic....I still believe that, at least for me, good sugar alcohols, esp. xylitol and erythritol are a better choice, so I use them in my raw recipes, as well as things like oat fiber & coconut fiber (flour). I find that I still have quite a load of polydextrose sitting in my kitchen, and I haven't yet tried using it in my mostly raw recipes. Many of them involve making chocolate....for this I use cocoa powder and cocoa butter (+vanilla & sweeteners) heated at a very low temperature (under 105 degrees in a dehydrator....just until the cocoa butter melts). I was wondering if I could use polydextrose in recipes like that or other ones that are either just moistened and then dried at a low temperature in a dehydrator (i.e., i make some very high fiber bars made with things like berries, cocoa nibs & powder, nuts, oat fiber, xylitol, erythritol, high fiber hemp powder & coconut fiber & water). Any other ways I might be able to use polydextrose in dehydrated foods to improve upon texture? I've never made a raw brownie--fudge, yes....even things like almond joys.....but a brownie might be fun if it didn't depend on high heat to set.
Hope you're enjoying the holiday weekend!
Laurie

Last edited by lscoop; 09-03-2007 at 12:25 PM..
lscoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 02:07 PM   #74
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: stickergoddess
Stats: 182/154/140
WOE: low carb
Start Date: restart 11/03/2012
Scott has not posted here in a while- I hope he comes back soon. I miss his expertise and experiments with poly-d. It seems that not many people experiment with poly-d anymore because they are sensitive to it.
stickergoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 08:06 PM   #75
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the info, Melanie. And congrats on your baby-to-be! I guess I'll experiment with one of my chocolate recipes, but I'll probably have to put the poly-D into syrup form first. Do you remember how to do that? Since poly-d isn't raw, I can just make the syrup first and then combine it later with the other raw ingredients and see if it works in making something like a chocolate bar or fudge. Anything that cuts down on fat content and increases fiber I'm in favor of :-). I'll post back here in the next month after I do the test. The problem with the raw organic ingredients (esp. the cocoa butter) is that they're just so darned expensive that I hate experimenting with them and getting a flop!
Laurie
Old 09-03-2007, 10:15 PM   #76
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: becksterinindy
I miss Scott too
becksterinindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:11 AM   #77
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Leni
WOE: balanced
polyd oatmeal cookies?

anyone know of a good recipe for oatmeal cookie containing polyd? i'm interested in including the polyd because my experience with it seems to yield a nice chewy cookie....
Leni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:21 AM   #78
Senior LCF Member

Hi Leni-
While I don't have an oatmeal recipe containing poly-d, one of the things that I like about it is that you can use existing recipes and just add poly-d to it. What I tend to do is reduce the amount of oil that I use in a recipe, and the sweetener somewhat depending on how much poly-d is used. Poly-d might clump a little if mixed in with slightly moist, cool, ingredients, so the best thing to do is either mix it first with all dry ingredients and then add the wet ones, or dissolve it first in the entirely wet ingredients first, warming if necessary. You might find Scott's recipe for Poly-d syrup on this site...it was very helpful. I'm going to look for it, because I want to try making Xylitol syrup using that same recipe.