Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2005, 01:32 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sue421
Stats: 150/125/125
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Dec. 2003
Polydextrose side effect?

Does it cause gas/tummy distress for some people? Just wondering?
Sue421 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2005, 01:37 PM   #2
Body By Johnsonville

Gallery: CandidCam
WOE: Food...not "food"
:blush: Yes...a LOT. I made a brownie recipe that came out EXCELLENT...but after 2 brownies I was pretty I am now going to cut the poly-d from 2C. down to 1 and substitute a half C. of vanilla whey powder, instead. I think that will work wonders.

Carbquick also makes me gassy, but not nearly as uncomfortable or ill as poly-d. I guess I just am really sensitive to high levels of fiber in my diet.

k
CandidCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 02:00 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: chickiemom
I think the thing with fiber is to add small amounts at a time to let your system adjust

Good for portion control;o)
chickiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 03:34 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 218/154/140; 215/196/150
Start Date: 8/17/2003
Candidcam, I totally agree with you. I'm so glad someone else brought this up. I wasn't sure if it was just me. The brownies were phenominal but definately caused a large amount of gas. Next time, I will reduce the amount of PD and see how that goes.

Josephine
Can'twaittobethin! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 03:42 PM   #5
Body By Johnsonville

Quote:
Originally posted by Can'twaittobethin!
Candidcam, I totally agree with you. I'm so glad someone else brought this up. I wasn't sure if it was just me. The brownies were phenominal but definately caused a large amount of gas. Next time, I will reduce the amount of PD and see how that goes.

Josephine
Here's how I think I will make them next time...eventually I figure I will keep tweaking it until I reach perfection! So far they tasted PERFECT, but the side-effects leave a LOT to be desired...

Quote:
Brownies
(Makes 12 servings)

4 oz unsweetened chocolate
1.5 sticks unsalted butter
3 eggs
1C polydextrose
1tsp. liquid Splenda (adjust to taste)
1T vegetable glycerine
1tsp. vanilla extract
.5C erythritol
.5C vanilla Designer Whey Powder
1C Carbquik
.5C SF Choc Chips
.5 - 1C chopped nuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350. Melt chocolate and butter over low heat in double-boiler (preferred method) or microwave. Allow to cool a bit prior to adding to rest of batter.

While butter and chocolate are melting combine eggs and polydextrose using mixer. Once combined, mix in glycerine, liquid Splenda, and vanilla. Next add erythritol, whey powder, and Carbquick, mixing well after adding, and scraping sides and bottom of bowl well.

Add butter and chocolate mixture and beat well. Once well incorporated, add chocolate chips and nuts. Bake 30 mins, or until toothpick comes out clean, in a 6x9 pan.
Old 01-15-2005, 03:50 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 218/154/140; 215/196/150
Start Date: 8/17/2003
Candidcam, please let me know how they turn out. I'd love to make them again, although I can do without the side effects, LOL.

Josephine
Can'twaittobethin! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 03:51 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SSin-Deb
Stats: 245/164 /160 ~ 6'1"
WOE: HCG R4P2 (previous Somersizer)
Start Date: April, 2008 (Somersize 2-01)
Hi ~ I made a chocolate mousse using the Mini-Carb chocolate chips (melted) and it affected us as if it had been maltitol... *Ü*
SSin-Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 05:20 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: parrotchic
I only use about 1/4 cup in my recipes not so much as a sweetner but to help keep the product moist and chewy. I don't understand why everyone is using it cup for cup for a sugar sub. It's to add fiber and hold moisture in baked goods, it's not sweet enough to really do anything.
parrotchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 05:25 PM   #9
Body By Johnsonville

Quote:
Originally posted by parrotchic
I don't understand why everyone is using it cup for cup for a sugar sub. It's to add fiber and hold moisture in baked goods, it's not sweet enough to really do anything.
To make up for the bulk lost in converting recipes using Splenda and Erythritol (it's only 10% as sweet as sugar, by volume, so *I* am not using it as a sweetener) from those using regular sugar. And because that's how I've always read it should be used....

k
Old 01-15-2005, 08:35 PM   #10
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: scott123
Stats: 245/220/205
Start Date: 2/6/04
Chickiemom is correct. Polydextrose is almost all fiber. When adding any fiber to the diet, it's important to do it gradually, so your body can adjust to it.

All in all, it's in an entirely different class than the non erythritol sugar alcohols, both from a perspective of severity of effects as well as the percentages of people that can't tolerate it.

Candidcam, try half a brownie. If that feels okay (which it should), try a whole one the next day. 2 brownies, depending on how they are cut, could be as much as 30 extra grams of fiber in your diet.

So far, the worst effect I've encountered with PolyD is some very slight gas. If a little gas is the price I have to pay for desserts of this quality, then I'll gladly pay it. This is nothing compared to the explosive effects of something like lactitol.
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 11:08 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sue421
Stats: 150/125/125
Start Date: Dec. 2003
Thanks for all these replies. When I had some symptoms, I was wondering if I was alone. Maybe the answer is as Scott and someone else mentioned - take it a little slower. So hard though. Whoever heard of just eating one brownie at a time? I'm greedy, I guess!
Sue421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 03:32 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: DEBI IN OHIO
Stats: 235.5/-----/150ish?
WOE: Diabetic.lower carbs
Start Date: 05/01, restart 2/22/08 again
so is it fiber (bulking agent)or replacing sweetness?
DEBI IN OHIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 11:54 PM   #13
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Debi, polydextrose has about 10% the sweetness of sugar, so it's not providing much sweetness. What it does provide, is the texture of sugar.
Old 01-17-2005, 03:49 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
Scott, what else have you tried besides the brownies. We really need a polyd recipe thread here. Julie
SCOTTSDALEJULIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 02:17 AM   #15
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Julie, so far just brownies and virgin pina coladas. Jaideyes has the brownies and the key lime pie. CandidCam appears to have perfected a carbquik/PD choc. chip cookie. Lscoop has her chocolate cream pie, dry pudding mix and also a PD ganache. BettyR, her chocolate mousse. Bassetmom has an ice cream base she's happy with. Bfranke is working on a cinnamon roll. KCduffer has devoted many hours to developing a crispy PD meringue, although so far, it's not looking like a crispy meringue is a possibility. This is just off the top of my head (my apologies if I've overlooked anyone).

If I start compiling some stuff and start a PD thread, would you post your PD pumpkin bread recipe to it?

Last edited by scott123; 01-18-2005 at 02:29 AM..
Old 01-18-2005, 01:14 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lee140
Stats: 16+/10/8
Start Date: 1/26/04
Hey Scott, don't forget my "chocolate chip chews", LOL! That's what I'm calling my attempt at chocolate chip cookies, using both the sugar alcohols AND the polyd. It made an awful cookie, but a pretty good candy ! I will actually make them again around the holidays.
Lee140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 01:35 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
Yep, absolutely, Scott. You do it and I'll put every recipe I come up with on it. Julie
SCOTTSDALEJULIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 04:16 PM   #18
Body By Johnsonville

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee140
Hey Scott, don't forget my "chocolate chip chews", LOL! That's what I'm calling my attempt at chocolate chip cookies, using both the sugar alcohols AND the polyd. It made an awful cookie, but a pretty good candy ! I will actually make them again around the holidays.
Try this:

Quote:
Chocolate Chip Cookies
(Makes 50 cookies)

3C Carbquik
1tsp. baking soda
2 eggs
1C polydextrose
1C (2 sticks, ½ pound) butter, softened
½C erythritol
½C Vanilla Designer Whey Powder
1TB vegetable glycerine
1TB molasses
½tsp. liquid Splenda
1tsp. vanilla extract
2C (12-ounce package) MiniCarb Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels

-Combine Carbquik and baking soda in small bowl, set aside.
-Beat eggs and polydextrose until smooth with no large lumps. Next add butter, beating well. Add sweeteners, molasses, and vanilla until creamed.
-Gradually beat in Carbquik mixture. Stir in morsels.
-Drop by heaping tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets covered with parchment/baking paper.
-Bake in preheated 375° oven for 10 to 13 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 3-5 minutes; remove to wire racks or newspaper to cool completely.

Nutrition info for entire recipe:
Calories: 4231
Fat: 339
Carbs: 463 Fiber: 378 (net carbs: 85)
Protein: 137

Per cookie:
Cal: 86
Fat: 7
Net Carb: 1.4
Prot: 2.5

Made these last night and they are already over half gone.... :blush:

k
Old 01-19-2005, 06:37 AM   #19
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

*hitting my head* How could I forget Lee140?

Yes, Lee, of course, your chocolate chip chews make the list. Btw, I don't have a food dictionary in front of me, but I think those might qualify as 'pralines.'

Julie, if you give me a little time, I'll see what I can do.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:50 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Criosa
Stats: 240/171/150
WOE: hhCG, Low Carb
Start Date: In and out since 2003
I made some gingersnaps with polydextrose that were very good - crunchy, yet chewy. I've only made them once, so I don't know if I'll change anything with the recipe yet. My husband likes them just the way they are. I'll post it if anyone is interested.
Criosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 07:16 AM   #21
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Criosa, yes, please post your recipe.

Candidcam, how's your tummy doing? Do you think you might be developing a tolerance to the PD?
Old 01-19-2005, 07:48 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Criosa
Stats: 240/171/150
WOE: hhCG, Low Carb
Start Date: In and out since 2003
Gingersnaps

1 cup polydextrose (dissolve in the heated water, cool)
6 tablespoons water, heated
3/4 cup sweetener (1/2 Splenda-2 T. Erythritol-2 T. AceK)
1 tablespoon molasses
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups plus 2 T. almond flour (2 1/2 c. total flour)
3/4 cup Wheat Protein Isolate
2 tablespoons resistant starch (or extra almond flour)
1 1/2 teaspoons egg white powder
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

1. Dissolve the polydextrose in the hot water, set aside to cool.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
3. Cream together the sweeteners, molasses, coconut oil, and vanilla in a large bowl, as best as you can.
4. In another large bowl combine the flours, baking soda, ginger, salt, cinnamon, and cloves.
5. Pour the dry mixture into the wet mixture and beat while adding the polydextrose/water. Continue to mix until ingredients are incorporated.
6. Measure a heaping teaspoon of dough at time. Roll the dough into a little ball between the palms of your hands. Flatten slightly with the back of a spoon dipped in splenda/ery/diabeti sweet mixture.
7. Bake cookies for 10-14 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Cool on a rack. They will be crispy when cool.

Allow plenty of room between cookies, as they will spread out. But this is what will make them nice and crunchy. Makes about 100 cookies.
Criosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 08:47 AM   #23
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Criosa, that's an impressive looking recipe. I like your combination of sweeteners

And, on a separate note, I just remembered another prominent polydextrose application. NulloModo uses PD as a moisture retention agent in his O'solo roll clone. My head was stuck in desserts, but as you can see, PD has savory uses as well.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:33 AM   #24
Body By Johnsonville

Quote:
Originally posted by scott123

Candidcam, how's your tummy doing? Do you think you might be developing a tolerance to the PD?
Still having issues. I made the chocolate chip cookies with *only* a C of poly-d...but man, oh man do they make me gassy. I wish they would just make me, :ahem:, "regular" (I have the same problem with Carbquick, so I think fiber and I are just not friends).

Could be that I am having a hard time with portion control ...poly-D and Carbquick make LC desserts that actually TASTE good. If I only had one...maybe two servings of these things in a day I would probably be OK, but I think the brownies and chocolate chip cookies I have made are actually BETTER than their flour/sugar-laden counterparts! DH agrees. They have a dense, chewiness that is amazing. And the combo of liquid Splenda, Erythritol, glycerine and other sweeteners duplicates sugar so well.

The side-effects are probably a blessing in disguise--I would eat a dozen cookies in a day or half a pan of brownies if I didn't have the thread of bloated, gassy misery looming over my head. Though I would like to make pancakes and waffles with the carbquick...but I am kinda scared to do so. I think crepes would be ok, though, since they are more egg and butter dense than they are flour (and I prefer crepes, anyhow).

k
Old 01-19-2005, 09:50 AM   #25
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
Originally posted by CandidCam
If I only had one...maybe two servings of these things in a day I would probably be OK, but I think the brownies and chocolate chip cookies I have made are actually BETTER than their flour/sugar-laden counterparts! DH agrees. They have a dense, chewiness that is amazing.
I agree. 100%. Pre-woe, I had been perfecting my sugar based brownies for years. My first batch of polyd brownies put those to shame.

I'm sorry to hear of your continuing discomfort. Hopefully, over time, your body will adjust.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:02 AM   #26
Body By Johnsonville

Quote:

I'm sorry to hear of your continuing discomfort. Hopefully, over time, your body will adjust.
Heh...in some ways I hope it doesn't...might keep me from over-doing it on the "legal treats" (kinda like the Olestra in those chips kept a lot of low-fat diet folks from overindulging...).

k

Last edited by CandidCam; 01-19-2005 at 10:03 AM..
Old 01-19-2005, 10:20 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: showgirl
Stats: 127/116/115 5'3"
WOE: diet free!
Start Date: 3/1/05
Quote:

Candidcam, try half a brownie. If that feels okay (which it should), try a whole one the next day. 2 brownies, depending on how they are cut, could be as much as 30 extra grams of fiber in your diet.

So far, the worst effect I've encountered with PolyD is some very slight gas. If a little gas is the price I have to pay for desserts of this quality, then I'll gladly pay it. This is nothing compared to the explosive effects of something like lactitol.
please...who can eat half a brownie? if i could eat half a brownie, i wouldn't be positng on these message boards!
showgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 10:25 AM   #28
Body By Johnsonville

Quote:
Originally posted by showgirl
please...who can eat half a brownie? if i could eat half a brownie, i wouldn't be positng on these message boards!
See...that's my problem, LOL! I am lucky if I can stop after ONE brownie, LOL!

Hey, Scott, I had one thought...my chocolate chip cookies use 3C of Carbquick. What if I did 2 cups of CQ and 1C of almond flour? I would think that would help the fiber/gas issue a bit, but still keep the texture/flavor about the same. Maybe I could even use regular butter then, too (since the CQ always seems to make things so salty).

I also wonder how I could incorporate the almond flour into my brownies:
Quote:
Brownies
(Makes 12 servings)

4 oz unsweetened chocolate
1½ sticks unsalted butter
3 eggs
1C polydextrose
1tsp. liquid Splenda (adjust to taste)
1TB vegetable glycerine
1tsp. vanilla extract
½C erythritol
½C vanilla Designer Whey Powder
1C Carbquik
½C SF Choc Chips
½ - 1C chopped nuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350°. Melt chocolate and butter over low heat in double-boiler (preferred method) or microwave. Allow to cool a bit prior to adding to rest of batter.

While butter and chocolate are melting combine eggs and polydextrose using mixer. Once combined, mix in glycerine, liquid Splenda, and vanilla. Next add erythritol, whey powder, and Carbquick, mixing well after adding, and scraping sides and bottom of bowl well.

Add butter and chocolate mixture and beat well. Once well incorporated, add chocolate chips and nuts. Bake 30 mins, or until toothpick comes out clean, in a 6x9 pan.
I'm not sure if I would just want to cut some of the CQ or the PD, or both and substitute the almond flour. Any thoughts on what might work best?

The nice thing about cutting down on the CQ is that the almond flour is a LOT cheaper (though a little bird told me that a certain popular, members-only, "All American" warehouse store carries CQ at some of it's locations...not our nearest one, unfortunately....).

k
Old 01-20-2005, 03:43 AM   #29
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
Originally posted by showgirl
Polydextrose and sugar alcohols put a person in the realm of real desserts. Desserts, that, as CandidCam mentioned, can stand up next to their sugar/flour counterparts. For many people with extreme sensitivities to SAs, polydextrose is the only option.

If I were to be faced with the prospect of crumbly cookies/cakey brownies/eggy pecan pies for the rest of my life, believe me, I would go to ANY length to see if I could train my body to handle the additional fiber. Including eating half a brownie for a few days.

There's a huge difference between eating half a brownie for a lifetime (and never turning up here) and eating half a brownie for two weeks with the prospect of being able eat real tasting brownies without digestive consequences.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:18 AM   #30
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

CandidCam, I have yet to take the plunge and buy carbquik. Almond flour and WPI are my baking mix of choice.

Almond flour has a lot more fat than carbquik and zero binding abilities. You can get around this by reducing the butter and adding some form of wheat protein, either VWG or WPI. For the 1 cup of carbquik in the cookies, I'd sub:

2/3 C. blanched almond flour
1/3 C. WPI/gluten

And subtract:

1/4 stick of butter (leaving 1 1/4 sticks butter)

The results may be slightly different than the cookies you have now, but not much, thanks to the other 2 cups of carbquik. If you go with the almond flour, I recommend one additional processing step as well - hand blend the almond flour with the eggs - it helps remove a lot of the graininess.

As far as the brownies go... I have a PD/almond flour/wpi brownie recipe that is just about ready to go public Will be posting it soon.

I'm curious about something... Do you always use vanilla designer whey when you bake? Some of the few times that I've had severe abdominal pain were when I consumed a lot of the designer whey. I'm not sure what's in it that causes me such pain, but it is not pleasant. Is there any chance the whey could be causing you discomfort?