Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2005, 03:14 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 212/200 /goal 150
WOE: Lowcarb
Angel Food Cake

I got this from another board a long time ago and yes I did make it, hubby says it taste as good as the real thing.

"Angel Food Cake"
Ingredients:
10 Egg Whites (from XL Eggs)
1/2 tsp Salt
1 1/4 tsp Cream Of Tartar
1/2 tsp Almond Flavoring
1/2 tsp Vanilla Flavoring
1/2 cup Unflavored Whey Protein (or the vanilla kind goes well with it too)
1/2 cup Barley Flour
1 cup Splenda (whizzed in the coffee grinder to make it more like confectioner's sugar) I would use "Steels powdered next time"
3/4 cup Splenda (just out of the box)

Preheat oven to 375.

1. Beat the egg whites and the salt on high spead until just frothy.
2. Add the cream of tartar and flavorings and beat until soft peaks (don't overbeat ... it could make the cake dry and crumbly)
3. Add 1 cup of (whizzed) Splenda (a little at the time) and continue beating until well incorporated.
4. In a seperate bowl sift together the remaining splenda, whey protein and barley flour. It is best to sift it about 3 times.
5. Sift about 1/4 of the flour mixture over your egg whites and fold with a spatula (don't do this with an electric mixer!). Continue until all the flour mix is well incorporated.
6. Pour into an ungreased Angelfood pan. Once all the batter is in there shake the pan a LITTLE to settle the dough and release any airblubbles. You could also just "cut" the dough lightly with a knife (don't cut too deep or you will damage your pan!!)
7. Bake for around 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
After taking your pan out of the oven, invert it (upside down) on a plate or the counter top and let it cool this way.
8. Once cooled the cake will come out quite easily.

4.7g carbs/slice (at 16 generous slices) with 6g protein per slice

*I used the CMF Whey Protein Isolate from the Protein Factory ... this yielded the best result.

Last edited by Tater Head; 01-14-2005 at 03:19 PM..
Tater Head is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2005, 03:29 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I was just thinking now that we have polyD, I bet adding some of that would even be better
Old 01-14-2005, 04:28 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: parrotchic
Tater Head, is Barley flour legal where did you get it ?

Here is an Angel Food Cake recipe I got from Blaine's Low Carb Cooking show that I'm working on. I need to convert the soy, any ideas what I could use ?

Stuffed Angel Food Cake with Strawberry Icing

Cake:
12 egg whites, room temperature
1 1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1 c. artificial white sweetener
1/4 c. wheat flour
1/2 c. soy flour
1/2 cup strawberries
1 packet sugar free strawberry gelatin

Cream Cheese Icing:
1 8 oz. package cream cheese
1 stick of butter
1 1/2 cup unsweetened confectioner sugar
1 tsp. strawberry extract
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Cake Preparation:
Preheat oven 350 degrees. Prepare Gelatin and let soft set on counter until ready to stuff cake. Use a mixer or wire whip to beat egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt until soft peaks form. Add vanilla and almond extracts. Gradually add artificial white sweetener, beating until whites are stiff. Sift flours onto egg whites and gently fold with rubber spatula. Spoon mixture into greased 10-inch angel food cake pan and bake until toothpick comes clean (approximately 40 - 45 minutes.) Remove from oven and invert onto rack and let cool completely. Once cooled loosen edges with knife and gently remove cake from pan.

Cream Cheese Icing:
Clean mixing bowl while cake is baking. Whip cream cheese, butter and both extracts for 1 minute. Scrape bowl and add confectioner's sugar. Mix on low until sugar is incorporated then whip on high for one minute. Slice cooled cake with bread knife starting on right side and finishing on left so you have a top and a bottom. Using your fingers gently pull out pocket around circumference of bottom half of cake making sure not to tear hole. Spoon in partially set Gelatin in pocket and ice the bottom edges. Put on top of cake and ice sides and top. Refrigerate at least 4 hours.

Yields 8 servings - approximately 8.5 net carbs per serving
parrotchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 04:37 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Bob's brand carries it, as for your recipe, I would use minicarb bake mix or oat flour, barley etc. I wouldn't use almond flour though....too heavy.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:23 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: parrotchic
Thanks Tater Head
parrotchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 07:36 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

A genle bump, because this is so good
Old 02-18-2005, 10:09 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mahyde
Stats: 119/110/110
WOE: moderate carbs/Zone
Start Date: April 2001
TaterHead, I want to make your Angel Food Cake so what would be your recommendation on how to add the PolyD. Scott, chime in here too or anyone else with some ideas.

Thanks
mahyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 10:47 AM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
Keeping my eyes on this one! Finally someone is going to LC an angel cake
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 04:38 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by mahyde
TaterHead, I want to make your Angel Food Cake so what would be your recommendation on how to add the PolyD. Scott, chime in here too or anyone else with some ideas.

Thanks
Good ?, I don't know for sure because I've never made this with PolyD. If I were to add PolyD I'd add 1/2 cup to the dry ingredients. If anyone wants to see a pictuce of this cake, e-mail me and I'll send you one. It's really good but a few more steps then your average cake.
Old 02-19-2005, 08:45 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SSin-Deb
Stats: 245/164 /160 ~ 6'1"
WOE: HCG R4P2 (previous Somersizer)
Start Date: April, 2008 (Somersize 2-01)
Hi TaterHead ~ I'd like to receive a picture of your cake, but I can't figure out how to email you? I made 2 A.F. cakes this past week - it's a recipe that I really want! My email address is: sdbruce@usamedia.tv - I'd sure appreciate it, thank you! *Ü*
SSin-Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 09:24 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
Hey Tatarhead, Couln't you just post it on here? If not, send me the picture. thanks Julie
SCOTTSDALEJULIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 10:30 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I always get hubby to do my picture posting when i make something yummy to show you guys lol*, I'll go ask him and get back to you
Old 02-19-2005, 01:26 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Bfranke
Oh, Tater Head, could one use the liquid sucralose concentrate in this instead of the pwd splenda? It should work, shouldn't it? I have that that is 1/4 t to a cup. [/B]
I think you could, but I like to add anything with bulk to this because it's 90% egg whites so it needs a little body I think. I usually do my 3 sugar subs as a rule E,splenda and one other to make up the sweetness.

Another tip, have all your dry ingredients sifted and ready to go in a bowl before you whip your whites, that way your white won't deflate much.

Please don't do what I did the first time I made this, and try to get it out of the pan too early lol* it will stick big time. Let it cool I'd say over night before trying to release. If you make it in the morning then maybe by that eveing would work.

Last edited by Tater Head; 02-19-2005 at 01:31 PM..
Old 02-19-2005, 01:38 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
Wow, that looks great. Now I have to get an angel food cake pan.
SCOTTSDALEJULIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 11:28 AM   #15
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: scott123
Stats: 245/220/205
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2/6/04
Okay, I'm chiming in

From my experience trying to polyd-ify recipes, I've noticed that it's a lot easier to convert a high carb recipe than try to tweak a lc one. So, although these look like delicious recipes, rather than take the time attempting to get them to work with polyd, does anyone happen to have a high carb recipe from years past that they're head over heals in love with?

Also, I think, like most everything these days, this would be a good candidate for carbquik for maybe half of the flour component. I say half due to the delicate flavor of the cake and, as perceive by some, the somewhat strong flavor of carbquik. What do you think?
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 12:04 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well scott123, I agree with you on this one. Since I have made this cake and know for sure it taste great as written, I don't know if I'd mess around with it by adding CQ,PolyD etc. It is way better then any LC store bought. I did a side x side taste test with DH. I bought a LC version from wal-mart and made this cake too, he said the WM one was too dry and this was just right, plus no stomach upset either.

Last edited by Tater Head; 02-20-2005 at 12:06 PM..
Old 02-20-2005, 12:52 PM   #17
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Bfranke
Stats: 177.5/139.5/117.5
WOE: Modified Atkins/Exercise
Start Date: 12/26/05
Well, I tried it, but of course had to tweak. It did not turn out...in fact, I just took it out to the garbage.
I used 2 egg whites, and 9 just white egg white equivalents.
I used 75 g polyd, and my sweeteners (1/8 t stevia, 1/8 t liquid sucralose concentrate and 1/4 c xylitol).
Otherwise, as directed.
It deflated a great deal when I sprinkled the dry over the whites. When I put it in the Angle food pan, it was less than half full. It did not get any higher. When baked, I turned it upside down and left till this morning
I tried to take it out of the pan, and it was stuck. So, I quartered it and took it out a section at a time. Would have been no problem, as I wanted to use it with strawberries.
Well, the bottom part was about 3/4" thick and kind of jellied/hard, like the heavy part of the batter had settled and baked in the bottom. The top 1 1/2" was extremely dry, and like baked egg whites.....but not like meringue.
The flavor was good, but this was not a success.
Bette
Back to the drawing boards!
Bfranke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 01:22 PM   #18

Scott, I do.. I will try to find it.. It was from cooking light and was yummy! It is high carb, but low fat obviously with all those eggwhites
Old 02-20-2005, 01:26 PM   #19

I think this is the one I used to love.. Havent done any of the toppings as i used to serve it with fresh whipped cream and sweetened strawberries. :drool:

This one gets 5 stars at cooking light.

Classic Angel Food Cake From Cooking Light

This master recipe is good as is, but it's also easy to modify to suit any cravings.

1 cup sifted cake flour
1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
12 large egg whites
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon almond extract

Preheat oven to 325°.
To prepare cake, lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour and 3/4 cup sugar, stirring with a whisk.

Place egg whites in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until foamy. Add cream of tartar and salt; beat until soft peaks form. Add 3/4 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Beat in vanilla, juice, and almond extract.

Place egg whites in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until foamy. Add cream of tartar and salt; beat until soft peaks form. Add 3/4 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Beat in vanilla, juice, and almond extract. Sift 1/4 cup flour mixture over egg white mixture; fold in. Repeat with remaining flour mixture, 1/4 cup at a time.

Spoon the batter into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan, spreading evenly. Break air pockets by cutting through the batter with a knife. Bake at 325° for 55 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Invert pan; cool completely. Loosen cake from sides of pan using a narrow metal spatula. Invert the cake onto a plate.

Nutty: For nut lovers; fold 1/2 cup finely chopped toasted nuts--such as almonds, walnuts, or hazelnuts--into the batter with the flour.

Chocolate glazed: Whisk together 3 tablespoons unsweeetened cocoa, 1 cup powdered sugar, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract and about 3 tablespoons water or cold coffee. Drizzle over cooled cake.

Chocolate malt: Add 2 tablespoons malted milk powder and 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder to the flour mixture.

Citrus-glazed: Whisk together 2 tablespoons lime, lemon, orange juice and 1 cup powdered sugar until smooth. Drizzle over cooled cake.

Ice cream: Cut the cake horizontally into 3 layers, then spread each layer with cup of softened ice cream or sorbet. Reassemble the cake, then freeze it until ready to serve.

Orange: Fold 2 tablespoons grated orange peel and 1 teaspoon orange extract into the batter.

Pink Peppermint: Add 1/4 teaspoon red food coloring to the batter and fold in 1/4 cup finely crushed hard peppermint candies.

Spiced: Add 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice to the flour mixture.

Yield: 12 servings (serving size: 1 slice)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 146(0.0% from fat); FAT 0.1g(sat 0.0g,mono 0.0g,poly 0.1g); PROTEIN 4.2g; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 4mg; SODIUM 104mg; FIBER 0.1g; IRON 0.6mg; CARBOHYDRATE 31.8g

Cooking Light, APRIL 2003
Old 02-20-2005, 01:37 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Bfranke, sorry you had trouble with this recipe. I NEVER use just whites to replace regular egg whites, never,. I have messed up too many recipes trying to use that stuff, it's just not the same as real egg whites IMO.. I also never tweak any recipe until I've made it as written first and then tweak if I think it needs tweaking.

Your whites have to be really stiff but not too stiff lol* and the trick to not deflateing them when you add the dry mix, is sifting the mix just a little at a time evenly over the whites and fold "VERY" gentle and then sift more, fold gentle again and so on. After you've gotten all the dry mix added to your whites, it should still look very fluffy, if it's not then one of two things happened. your whites weren't beatened enough (just whites I think was the problem ?) or 2 you sifted too much dry mix at one time and folded too roughly. Did you sift all the dry 3 times and then use the sifter over the whites? Making Angelfood cake is a delicate and gentle balance process. I said this recipe is more work then making your usually LC cakes. Also don't use PolyD just yet, it's very heavy weight wise.

Last edited by Tater Head; 02-20-2005 at 01:51 PM..
Old 02-20-2005, 02:10 PM   #21
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Bfranke
Stats: 177.5/139.5/117.5
WOE: Modified Atkins/Exercise
Start Date: 12/26/05
I think the polyd was the main problem. I did not sift enough either.....and though I have had good luck using Just Whites in many things, I suppose even that could have been the problem.
I will try this again, but now for a little while.
Bette
Your picture looked so good, I just had to try!!! Next time I will follow directions!
Bfranke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 02:38 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I think your right about the PolyD, it tends to clump when added to wet things. Did you use the barley flour and the good whey powder? the plain whey from the protein factory is also key in making this, it is much lighter in texture then say Designer whey is, example : powdered sugar or powdered milk like in texture.

Last edited by Tater Head; 02-20-2005 at 02:40 PM..
Old 02-20-2005, 03:25 PM   #23
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I did not make this angel food recipe, but another LC one I had called "Almond Cloud Cake" - made with almond flour. I added some Poly-D to it - and found that it made the cake TOO moist - Angel Food is a delicate yet kind of dry cake, I think it didn't benefit from adding the Poly-D.

JMHO but to me, maybe angel food is NOT a good place for Poly-D!

Char
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 10:21 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SSin-Deb
Stats: 245/164 /160 ~ 6'1"
WOE: HCG R4P2 (previous Somersizer)
Start Date: April, 2008 (Somersize 2-01)
Tater Head ~ I want to thank you for posting the Angel Food Cake recipe. I made it today and it's the best tasting AF cake I've made since beginning Somersizing.

I'm so glad you shared this recipe! *Ü*
SSin-Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 08:05 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by SSin-Deb
Tater Head ~ I want to thank you for posting the Angel Food Cake recipe. I made it today and it's the best tasting AF cake I've made since beginning Somersizing.

I'm so glad you shared this recipe! *Ü*
Yeah! I'm glad you liked it as much I do. I agree it's way better then any store bought and no "GAS" from SA's either

I hadn't made it in a while so last week I went out and bought more Barley flour to makle this again.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:50 AM   #26
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: scott123
Stats: 245/220/205
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2/6/04
Ileen, I haven't forgotten about my promise to try to polyd-ify angel food cake. After I got your recipe I took some time to look into angel food cake chemistry. Yowza, there's a lot going on in there! I have a working recipe that I built off of your Cook's Illustrated version, but there's so many variables involved, I wouldn't feel right about posting it until I tried it first.
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 11:03 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: chickiemom
hmmm wonder how this would take to the jena-marie cake flour blend????
chickiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 01:59 PM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

bump
Old 07-12-2005, 05:54 PM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Tater - do you think oat or soy could be subbed for the barley flour? Or minicarb bake mix? The cake looks so good, I would love to try it but don't have the barley flour and don't have enough stuff to order from Netrition just now.
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 06:33 PM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katcha
Tater - do you think oat or soy could be subbed for the barley flour? Or minicarb bake mix? The cake looks so good, I would love to try it but don't have the barley flour and don't have enough stuff to order from Netrition just now.

I would use oat flour