Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2005, 06:40 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: makeupmonsterdog
Stats: 23(ish)% Body Fat/15% Body Fat/15% Body Fat
WOE: Low Carb
Has anyone tried subbing Carbalose flour? I haven't worked with it yet (haven't even opened my bag!) but I imagine it is finer in texture than barley or oat flour
makeupmonsterdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2005, 07:45 AM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 212/200 /goal 150
WOE: Lowcarb
Quote:
Originally Posted by makeupmonsterdog
Has anyone tried subbing Carbalose flour? I haven't worked with it yet (haven't even opened my bag!) but I imagine it is finer in texture than barley or oat flour

That's a great idea
Tater Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 07:50 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

I just may give this a shot this weekend--Gives me a reason to break open the bag. And Angel Food Cake will go quite nicely with the Blueberry ice cream I made a few days ago (if it makes it to this weekend!)

I'll report back in!
Old 07-13-2005, 10:05 AM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I just may give this a shot this weekend--Gives me a reason to break open the bag. And Angel Food Cake will go quite nicely with the Blueberry ice cream I made a few days ago (if it makes it to this weekend!)

I'll report back in!
BTW, so it doesn't stick to the bottom I put a circle of parchment paper down, don't spray with any oil though.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:10 PM   #35
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: mom2twoboys
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 10/26/05
Has anyone tried the Carbalose or Carbquick instead of the "Barley Flour"? I love Angel Food Cake and would love to try this even though egg white recipes never turn out for me.
mom2twoboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 07:07 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

I made the cake this past weekend and it was a repulsive, rubbery mess.

I used Carbalose flour, but I think the real reason for the rubbery texture was the protein powder - with the whites AND the powder, I think it is just too much protein. I may try it again with all carbalose flour that I have milled to give it a finer texture.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:06 AM   #37
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I made the cake this past weekend and it was a repulsive, rubbery mess.

I used Carbalose flour, but I think the real reason for the rubbery texture was the protein powder - with the whites AND the powder, I think it is just too much protein. I may try it again with all carbalose flour that I have milled to give it a finer texture.

Baking a Angelfood cake is one of the toughest things to make. It's a "VERY" delicate batter and needs to be treated as such.

Three things to make things go smooth are.

1. oven should be on and ready for cake to go in before doing anything else. Don't turn it on after you've mixed the batter and then the batter is sitting there on the counter waiting for the oven to heat up to right temp.

2. All dry ingredients should be measured out and sifted three times before you even think about beating your egg whites.

3.Your pan should be ready to receive batter, so line with parcthment circle on the bottom, no oil.

4. Most important, beat those egg whites till stiff and use a wire whisk attachement for your beater, otherwise you probably won't get them as full as they need to be.

5. Treat the fluffy whites very gentle, can't stress that enough. Sift a 1/4 of the dry ingredients evenly over the whites and fold gentle and do this till all is folded in. Don't take too long to fold because "AGAIN" your whites can defalte very quickly.

6. As soon as and not a minute longer get that batter in the pan and the pan in the oven fast.

Hope you'll try this recipe again and use the original recipe posted, tweak later on after you've made it once. I have never tried this recipe using, carbolose, oat flour or anything else. Good luck

Edit to say, use "REAL" egg whites......

Last edited by Tater Head; 07-20-2005 at 09:09 AM..
Old 01-01-2006, 02:44 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: datahamstr
Stats: 180/160/140
Start Date: may5, 2004
Bump.

Tater Head, that cake is a thing of beauty and you are a VERY talented baker. I have never before seen an Angel Cake with no sugar--you are amazing!
Datahamstr
datahamstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 05:21 AM   #39
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
Thanks for the bump. I still havent tried this.. My nutriton plan has been pretty strict. But darn! I forgot all about this and could have had some over the holiday when i eased up slightly!

Has anyone came up with any tweaks that they'd like to share that have improved this recipe before i put it down on a card.
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 10:06 AM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

IIeen follow my tweaks 2 spaces above, I wouldn't use any other flour then what is in this recipe. There is nothing to mask the flavor of carbolose or carbquik except egg whites, so don't take that chance. What I do with all the yokes is make cream brulee. The most important thing is to get your egg whites stiff and fold the flour in gently, #2 is to use parchment paper on the bottom, this batter likes to stick.

Debbie....
Old 01-01-2006, 11:38 AM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Here is my concern about using Carbquik: Angel food cake has no fat and carbquik does!

What about carbalose?

AND. . .would liquid splenda work?? I'm thinking it needs some "binding" power. Don't have Scott123's chemistry flair, but would it need something binding/bulking?

I'd use the barley flour, but don't have it and my kitchen is bursting at the seams with my LC ingredients already!

Sure would like a tried and true recipe (without buying more stuff!)
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 05:35 PM   #42
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
Deb/Tater, curious, why barley flour?
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 02:45 PM   #43
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shawneesioux
Stats: 170/128 Maintaining since Aug. 2001. Young 62 Y.O
WOE: just Low Carb my own style
Start Date: 01/30/01
OOPS!

So, has anyone tried it with PolyD?

Don't think CQ is a good choice...cause it has those Shortning bumps (canola and palm oils) in it...and fats are a no-no in Anglel Food batters, huh?

Sorry, I need to pay better attention; Magnamater has already mentioned the fats thing!

Hope some of you successful cake bakers will post pics of your results, so we can all drool...

THANKS, Taterhead

Shawnee

Last edited by shawneesioux; 01-04-2006 at 02:53 PM..
shawneesioux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 03:18 PM   #44
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: 5cats4me
Stats: 185/134/130
WOE: Atkins without counting
Start Date: Jan 04
I've never heard of barley flour. How many carbs per cup and where do you get it?
5cats4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 04:29 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

finding barley flour

If you google "alternative flour", you'll find some places that sell barley flour, you may also find it in health food stores, and I think the bob's line carries it.

Many of us are used to "tweaking" recipes, and mostly with good results, but being a loonnggg--time hypoglycemic (can't eat sugar), I know that angel food cake is very very touchy, and I was amazed to even find a recipe made without sugar, never mind one that's looks so GREAT!!!

I have done some gluten-free and allergen-free cooking in the past, so I know that Bette Hagman's famous gluten-free cookbooks would have resources in the back pages (get a recent copy, of course), if you still have trouble locating.

kudos to Tater Head for this recipe!

Datahamstr
Old 01-04-2006, 05:16 PM   #46
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Bob's Red Meal Barley Flour has 23 carbs, 5 Fiber per 1/4 cup. Its very finely milled, just like regular white flour.

Sometimes it can be found in Bulk bins at the huge chains, and in small packages at others.

HTH

Shawnee
Old 01-05-2006, 09:51 AM   #47
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Bumping for further info. . .
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 11:31 PM   #48
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Altho I have been cooking/baking for over 40 years, somehow I've never gotten around to making an Angelfood cake.

So I sorta got half-brave and made a half-recipe... cause I love a challenge....and as Tater Head said:

Quote:
Baking a Angelfood cake is one of the toughest things to make. It's a "VERY" delicate batter and needs to be treated as such.
I basically followed all of TaterHead's excellent advice, but just used half the Ingredients amounts for a smaller version...I did omit the Almond extract, replacing it with Orange extract, plus Lemon and Orange zest.

It turned out just OK appearance-wise , 'cause I made a couple mistakes along the way:
375* was too hot for the smaller size; it started peaking near the center...and I didn't watch the time closely enough,(darned phone call !).. it was well-done before I checked at 23 minutes (remember, this is just a 1/2 recipe)

So it certainly didn't resemble the BEAUTY of Tater's pic...BUT taste and texture were fantastic!

I will try this again, doing a full-size version....just wanted to let you AngelFood lovers to know this is a GREAT recipe

...and I'm not quite too embarrassed to post a pic of my less than perfect Half-cake.

Shawnee

Maintainer

Last edited by shawneesioux; 01-05-2006 at 11:34 PM..
Old 01-06-2006, 12:53 AM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Wow, Shawnee, that looks fabulous!

Yes, an Angel Food cake is the true test of just how good a baker one is, it's like dismantling a bomb---well, you know what I mean, it's touchy! Yours looks beautiful and yummy!

Smart to only attempt half the recipe, but that may have increased difficulty as you discovered--did you use the barley flour? I don't know, but I suspect regular cake flour might work too, as it's so light, but I wouldn't chance it!

Kudos to your baking courage

Datahamstr
Old 01-06-2006, 02:04 AM   #50
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

LOL, Datahamstr...

Quote:
it's like dismantling a bomb

After reading Tater Head's advice, believe me...I had everything lined up before I cranked on that mixer!

...just shoulda ignored the phone call that distracted my oven-watching eye.

YUP, I used Bob's Red Mill Barley Flour.

I usually Tweak the heck out of Recipes, but I'm gonna leave this one AS IS, other than the flavorings I mentioned above....(well, maybe just cut back a tad on the Splenda amounts, and add in some other fake sweeteners...LOL, just can't help my "tweaking genes"...)

Shawnee

Last edited by shawneesioux; 01-06-2006 at 02:06 AM..
Old 01-06-2006, 08:07 AM   #51
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: 5cats4me
Stats: 185/134/130
WOE: Atkins without counting
Start Date: Jan 04
Okay, I'm no baker...does this take major skills to make? I don't want to try it if I know I'll ruin it!! Also, if I don't have barley flour, what should I use? Thanks for posting this!
5cats4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 12:20 AM   #52
Senior LCF Member

4catsforme, I think you should have a bit of experience as a baker, but I'm sure you do. After that, just follow the directions exactly.

Shawnee, glad you liked my joke! You have inspired me to give this lovely cake a try--soon as I get the barley flour! No guts, no glory!

Datahamstr
Old 01-07-2006, 09:40 AM   #53
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ...and I'm [I
not quite[/I] too embarrassed to post a pic of my less than perfect Half-cake.
[/I]

Are you crazy, that looks great and I like the idea of using lemon or orange flavors too. I hope if anyone else makes this cake they read all the tweaks first so they don't waste all those eggs lol.

I'd be careful of useing other sweeteners, because they might not be as light weight as splenda and could deflate your egg whites.

Debbie.....

Last edited by Tater Head; 01-07-2006 at 09:46 AM..
Old 01-07-2006, 02:00 PM   #54
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Tater Head

I agree: Absolutely essential to read this recipe over several times, and include your extra suggestions right on a printed-out recipe. Having all necessities ready and at hand is a must. As you say, make it as you suggest first to get a "feel" for the process...then go crazy with the Tweaking ideas when you are comfortable with the Origional Recipe.

Since I've gotten my Trial Run under my belt (so to speak) ...(or, mostly under my non-LCer DH's belt, cause he loves it!)...I will be experimenting with a Splenda-Stevia-Erythritol, maybe Ace-K mixture next time...(I certainly don't recommend it to anyone else, unless they are willing to risk failure..LOL...but that's just my adventuresome baking personality; always Tweaking)

...'cause, as Datahamstr says: No guts, no glory!

5cats4me
I personally can't suggest a sub for the Barley flour...and wouldn't go out on that limb until I had actually tried it myself first, and achieved good results. Its rather easily found here in my small town. Hope you can find some. ...or someone else comes up with a "tried and true" sub.

Shawnee
Old 03-25-2007, 10:21 PM   #55
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: ItsTheWooo
Stats: 280/118 (5'5)
WOE: Maintain with <60 carbs average and watching cals
Start Date: March 2003
I was wondering if I could bake this in 2 brownie pans to make kind of an angel food 2 layer square shaped cake.

This cake seems like the perfect base for my pepridge farm coconut cake mock off; my plan is to seperate the batter in 2 brownie pans to make it square, then frost it as a layer cake.

Is the bundt pan necessary for this cake to work or will any shape do?
Thanks
ItsTheWooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 09:57 AM   #56
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheWooo View Post
I was wondering if I could bake this in 2 brownie pans to make kind of an angel food 2 layer square shaped cake.

This cake seems like the perfect base for my pepridge farm coconut cake mock off; my plan is to seperate the batter in 2 brownie pans to make it square, then frost it as a layer cake.

Is the bundt pan necessary for this cake to work or will any shape do?
Thanks

You should have no problems doing that, just remmember read all my tweaks for best results. The parchment paper is a must or you'll never get this cake out of the pan. These Lowcarb ingredients don't act like real ones BTW, don't use the Steels powder it's too heavy and will defalt the egg whites.

Good luck

Last edited by Tater Head; 03-26-2007 at 10:07 AM..
Old 03-26-2007, 04:04 PM   #57
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Thanks for the reply
I read the tweaks and will be doing my best to contain my need to TWEAK.

I plan on using the following protein powder:
- Vanilla flavored vitamin shoppe protein powder; It is powdered-milk like in consistency (I often use it as a milk-like substitute, it's good to make stuff like hot cocoa a tad thicker and creamier). You said the protein powder should be powdered milk-like and this is that.

*OR*

-Unflavored casein powder. Casein is milk protein, it is unflavored, and much finer/lighter weight. Only problem is it reacts with liquids to make them, well, very creamy and milky (it is like dried milk powder). I'm thinking casein might be TOO "milky" and cause problems in the recipe so should I stick with the other protein powder?

I am also going to use a tablespoon of not/sugar, sifted into the flour...hopefully this will make the cake more moist (in case I overcook or overbeat eggs).

And for the sweeteners, I'm thinking of using 1/4 a cup powdered erythritol and 1/4 a cup powdered isomalt (using mortar and pestle to make them powder). THe isomalt is extremely lightwegith, as is the E. It should also help with the texture some since I'm not going to use the maltodextrin from splenda for the rest of sweeteners (I was going to use a quick pack and a few packets )

And, I'm replacing the almond flavor with coconut flavor. Everything else is to recipe.

Do you think that would work?
Old 03-27-2007, 02:10 PM   #58
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

The cake tastes great! OMG coconut layer cake yum. The only problem...

It fell in the center, and later my mom said that was because all angel food cakes will fall unless in a bundt pan.

Also, it got brown REAL quickly and I had to turn down the heat and take it out early. It didn't burn too badly but it was too dry and the top was very very dark. I followed the instructions for 375/35 min. After about 10 min it smelled fragrant and was golden. I kept taking it out of the oven and opening the door etc because if I didnt it would have burned.

Any reason why it cooked so fast? The only difference is I used vitamin shoppe whey protein and I used some erythritol instead of 100% splenda.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:41 PM   #59
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheWooo View Post
The cake tastes great! OMG coconut layer cake yum. The only problem...

It fell in the center, and later my mom said that was because all angel food cakes will fall unless in a bundt pan.

Also, it got brown REAL quickly and I had to turn down the heat and take it out early. It didn't burn too badly but it was too dry and the top was very very dark. I followed the instructions for 375/35 min. After about 10 min it smelled fragrant and was golden. I kept taking it out of the oven and opening the door etc because if I didnt it would have burned.

Any reason why it cooked so fast? The only difference is I used vitamin shoppe whey protein and I used some erythritol instead of 100% splenda.

Glad it tasted good.

You might need to check your oven temp to make sure it is correct, some ovens run hot or cooler. It could be the E, I really don't know what to tell you about it. Were your pan a dark color? Maybe lower the temp next time to 350 and cook it less time.

Also I use a "VERY" fine in texture protein powder Whey Protein Isolate (now brand). I never use other sugars because of how heavy they are in weight. Glad you tired it

Last edited by Tater Head; 03-27-2007 at 02:44 PM..
Old 03-30-2007, 08:40 PM   #60
ksm
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ksm
bump - sounds like just the thing for Easter dessert, maybe with strawberries!
ksm is offline   Reply With Quote