Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Sugar Slim (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/305968-sugar-slim.html)

SCOTTSDALEJULIE 01-04-2005 05:37 PM

Sugar Slim

Can anyone tell me more about this product. I haeard somewhere that it is a mix of E., polydexrose and some other sugar alcohols. and, I have heard it works great. Anyone here use it or know anything about it. Scott123, I'm sure you know. Anyone? TIA

scott123 01-05-2005 08:17 AM

Julie, I think you know more about it than I do :)

The only source of info I have for it is their website and that only mentions that they use erythritol as the sweetener. It does have other ingredients as the nutritional label lists fiber (E has no fiber). I wouldn't be surprised at all if it did contain polydextrose.

One thing I do know - there are no 'mystery' bulking agents/sweeteners out there that haven't been mentioned in this or another forum. If it is erythritol and polydextrose, I have no doubt that purchasing those ingredients separately would work out to be a LOT less money than the price they're charging.

There is no mention of splenda either, probably due to the fact that tate & lyle won't allow them to use it. Any mix without splenda is going to come up lacking from a quality of sweetness perspective. Until tate & lyle loosens their control on splenda and allows companies to use it in sweetening combinations, I think the liklihood of finding a decent commercial pre-mixed sweetener is slim.

SCOTTSDALEJULIE 01-05-2005 09:20 AM

Scott, someone on the Carbquik thread mentioned she used it and it is a blend of E, inulin, maltitol, lacitol, polydextrose, ace k and natural flavors. I did a search on this board and couldn't find it. When I get some time, I'll peruse that thread and see who wrote that. ANYONE Else.

Brendajm 01-05-2005 09:57 AM

this might help you out with the ingredients

This listing is a 3-pound container of SugarSlim sugar replacement. SugarSlim is a safe, effective, low calorie and high fiber sweetener. SugarSlim can be replaced cup for cup in baking, cooking or anywhere ordinary sugar would be used. This is our 3-pound container (also available by the case) of factory fresh Granulated and Brown SugarSlim Sugar replacement. It's perfect for diabetics, gastric bypass surgery patients, athletes or anyone who needs a calorie restricted diet.

Advantages
· 70% Less Calories than Sugar

· One to one substitution

· Retains sweetness at high heat

· High in fiber

· Tastes great

· Does not promote tooth decay

· No aftertaste

· Diabetic friendly

· Gastric Bypass friendly

· Will not significantly raise blood glucose and insulin levels

NUTRITIONAL FACTS:

Serving Size: 1 tsp (4 g)

Serving Per Container: 340

Calories: 4.5

Calories from Fat: 0

Total Fat: 0g

Saturated Fat: 0 g

Cholesterol: 0 mg

Sodium: 0 mg

Total Carbohydrates: 4 g

Dietary Fiber: 1.5 g

Sugars: 0 g

Sugars Alcohols: 2.5 g

Protein: 0 g

What are the key ingredients?

SugarSlim is made up of a combination of ingredients, all of which are low calorie, tooth friendly, and diabetic friendly. SugarSlim retains sweetness and safety in high heat.

Erythritol is a good tasting bulk sweetener, which is suitable for a variety of reduced calorie and sugar-free foods. It has been part of the human diet for thousands of years due to its presence in fruits and other foods. Erythritol has a high digestive tolerance, is safe for people with diabetes, gastric bypass surgery and does not promote tooth decay.

Inulin is a polysaccharide derived from the Jerusalem artichoke and Dahlia tuber. A natural fiber, it helps to moderate blood sugar levels in the body. Not only can inulin help avoid "sugar rushes and crashes" commonly experienced, but it may also help reduce sugar craving, a frequent source of calories. Inulin is not absorbed by the digestive tract and therefore contributes no extra calories while improving energy levels.

Maltitol is a reduced calorie bulk sweetener with sugar-like taste and sweetness. Its stability, high sweetness, and structure make it suitable for a variety of reduced calorie, reduced fat and sugar free foods.

Lactitol is a bulk sweetener with a sugar-like taste. Its stability, solubility and reduced calories make it suitable for a variety of low calorie, low fat and/or sugar-free foods. Its mild sweet taste makes it ideal for use with low calorie sweeteners.

Polydextrose is a reduced calorie (one calorie/gram) fat replacer and bulking agent. This is a water-soluble polymer of dextrose containing minor amounts of sorbitol and citric acid. Approved for use in a variety of products including baking goods, confections, salad dressings, frozen dairy desserts, gelatins and puddings.

Acesulfame K is a calorie free sweetener that is 200 times sweeter than sugar. It has been used in the United States since 1988. It is often used in combination with other low calorie sweeteners because it enhances the sweet taste of foods and beverages.

Diabetics:

SugarSlim has been tested to show that it helps control diabetes. All the ingredients in SugarSlim have been tested and will not significantly raise the blood glucose or insulin levels. SugarSlim has less than 1.2 calories per gram instead of 4 calories per gram found in sugar. SugarSlim can be used in your food exchange program and one teaspoon is considered a free exchange. As with any change in diet or nutrition please consult your physician, as they will be most familiar with your particular nutritional requirements.

Important facts you should know about SugarSlim:

SugarSlim Sugar Replacement is a naturally sweet sugar replacement.

It contains absolutely NO aspartame, saccharin, sucrose, or fructose and is completely sugar free.

Use SugarSlim cup for cup in cakes, cookies, candies, frosting, beverages, pies, cereal and preserves recipes.

SugarSlim is available in both GRANULATED and BROWN sugar forms.

scott123 01-05-2005 03:22 PM

Brenda comes to the rescue! Thanks!

That's really strange - the sugarslim website doesn't list the ingredients. Weird!

Anyway, now that I know what's in it, I can tell you my opinion ;)

First, it contains lactitol. I can eat a couple of boxes of maltitol chocolates and have no problem whatsoever. A couple of pieces of lactitol chocolate and I'm bowled over in pain. If it didn't have lactitol, it might not be a bad combination used in conjuction with some liquid splenda. But with the lactitol, no, none for me thanks.

Secondly, as I mentioned before, the bang for buck just isn't there. If you buy the ingredients separately, it would probably cost half of what you're paying per lb.

Third, I don't care what they say, without splenda, this just isn't going to cut the mustard from a quality of sweetness perspective.

I guess if you're absolutely certain lactitol doesn't effect you adversely, you don't care about spending twice the money, and if you make sure you combine this with liquid splenda, then sure, go for it.

Btw, regarding inulin, it has calories. Their claim that it doesn't is completely wrong. 1.6 cal/g.

SCOTTSDALEJULIE 01-06-2005 01:01 PM

Brendajm, are you the one that used it in the cobbler, and if so do you use it oftern?, and how do you like it. Thanks, Julie

Tater Head 01-06-2005 01:54 PM

I agree with Scott, they seem to be off on their net carb count, I wouldn't use any sweetener that has 4 carb per tsp .

It looks like they aren't counting SA as anything.They should because some have almost the same amount of calories as table sugar per gram and should be counted IMO.

TABLE 3:
Calories Per Gram of Sugar Alcohols 3

Sugar Alcohol Calories Per Gram
HSH 3.0
Sorbitol 2.6
Xylitol 2.4
Maltitol 2.1
Isomalt 2.0
Lactitol 2.0
Mannitol 1.6
Erythritol 0.2

SCOTTSDALEJULIE 01-06-2005 03:39 PM

TatarHead, Accordingly, the fiber is equal to the sugar alcohols. Don't know for sure, but it's like Diabeticsweet says it has 4.2 grams of carbs and 4.1 grams of sa, so you only need to count it as .1 I don't know, but I sure wish someone who had some experience with it would let us know. It might of be kinda like WheyLow, I'm just not sure, ANYONE?

Tater Head 01-06-2005 03:45 PM

Julie I understand, but! we have discussed this before on the board many times to deduct SA or not and my feeling is if they have calories then I'm counting them. JMO :D

The chart I posted at least helps you know how many calories per gram, remember table sugar is 4. so these SA aren't freebies IMO.

Tater Head 01-06-2005 03:53 PM

I have this saved, it's posted by MaryMary.....

I am going to try to copy an article I received from the CCARB Study that I am participating in. I don't know how to put it in without an internet address. So here it goes. I might have to put it into two sections.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Sugar Alcohol Sweeteners And The Low Carb Lifestyle
By
Melissa Bollman, MS RD
Elena Tateo, MS RD and
CJ Segal-Isaacson, EdD RD

What Are Sugar Alcohols And Are They Carbohydrates?
As if there isn?t enough confusion about carbohydrates and sugars in the diet, we now have to think about things like polyols, better known as sugar alcohols or sugar replacers.
Sugar alcohols derive their name because they chemically resemble both sugar and alcohol. While many scientists do not classify them as carbohydrates, the Food and Drug Administration does. Sugar alcohols are not calorie free, unlike artificial sweeteners such as saccharine, aspartame (Nutrasweet) , ace K (acesulfame potassium), or Sucralose (Splenda).
Sugar alcohols are used in products to replace the physical bulk provided by sugar, but without adding as many calories as normal sugar or other carbohydrates. Sugar alcohols can be less sweet or have virtually no sweetness at all, and may be combined with an intense sweetener to create a replacement food product that has a similar taste and feel of a product made with sugar. You can quickly discern whether sugar alcohols are in the low carb food you are about to ingest. Simply review the ingredients list for any words ending in ?ol. Hydrogenated starch hydrolysates (HSH) and isomalt, however, are two sugar alcohols that do not have the ?ol suffix.
The majority of sugar alcohols (sorbitol, isomalt, lactitol, and hydrogenated starch hydrolysates (HSH)) are considered by the FDA as ?generally recognized as safe?, while xylitol is classified and approved as a food additive. For some, sugar alcohols will cause gastrointestinal discomfort, including diarrhea and/or gas or flatulence. If you do choose to eat foods containing sugar alcohols, it may be wise to slowly add them to your diet so that you can find your level of comfort and learn which products work best for you.
Curious about the sugar alcohol content and nutrition value of some of your favorite low carb food products? We?ve put a few of them in the table below.
TABLE 1:
Sugar Alcohol Content of Selected Low Carbohydrate Foods

Low Carbohydrate Products Carbs On Label (grams) Carbs From Sugar Alcohols (grams) Calories Protein (grams) Fat (grams)
Atkins Shakes 4.0 0.00 170 20 9
Atkins Advantage Bars 2.5 9.75 250 18 13
Carb Solution Bars 2.0 12.00 250 25 10
EAS Advant Edge Shakes 2.0 1.50 110 15 4
EAS Advant Edge Bars 2.0 14.25 210 25 5
Protein Revolution Bars 2.5 15.00 230 22 8

What?s Glycerin?
You may have also noticed a substance called glycerin on food labels. Glycerin, also known as glycerol is found in many low carbohydrate snack or meal replacement bars. It adds moisture and some ?sweetness? to the bars without causing a significant rise in blood sugar.

There is much controversy surrounding glycerin, as it does contain about four calories per gram, the same as carbohydrates, but according to scientists it doesn?t affect blood sugar levels and many scientists don?t count it as a carbohydrate. However, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has recently ruled that glycerin is a carbohydrate and thus, must be added to the total grams of carbohydrates on the label. So it may appear that your favorite low carb bar has suddenly jumped in grams of carbohydrates, but in reality the manufacturer is just complying with the new FDA rules.

What About Low Digestible Carbohydrates?
Finally, another group of carbohydrate-like substances are called Low-Digestible Carbohydrates (LDC). LDCs, as the name implies, are not digested in the upper intestinal tract and thus provide fewer calories per gram than fully digested carbohydrates. LDCs are however, fermented in the lower intestinal tract and provide similar benefits to dietary fiber.

Polydextrose and Oligofructose are two commonly found LDCs in low carb bars. Other LDCs include: Resistant Starch, Inulin, Trehalose, and D-tagatose5. As with sugar alcohols, LDCs may cause mild gastrointestinal discomfort, such as flatulence and diarrhea, thus the slow addition of LDC-containing foods to your diet may also be prudent until you find your level of comfort.

TABLE 2:
Low Digestible Carbohydrates

Low-Digestible Carbohydrate Calories per Gram
Inulin 1.59
Oligosaccharides 1.59
Polydextrose 1.06
Resistant Starch 2.97
D-tagatose 1.5
Trehalose 4.0

How Do I Know How Much Sugar Alcohol Is In A Food?
Although calorie values vary from 0.2 ? 3.0 calories/gram, it is possible for the consumer to calculate the calories from sugar alcohols in a product. The FDA does require manufacturers to calculate total calories in a product on the ?Nutrition Facts? label, which would include calories from sugar alcohols. Most of these manufacturers, however, do not include sugar alcohols in the total amount of carbohydrates listed. Some food labels print disclaimers stating that sugar alcohols do not have a significant impact on blood sugar or insulin levels, and therefore, need not be included in the total carbohydrate content. The good news is that this labeling process will be changing in the years to come so that these carbohydrates will be listed on the nutrition facts label. Until then, here is what you need to know?

TABLE 3:
Calories Per Gram of Sugar Alcohols 3

HSH 3.0
Sorbitol 2.6
Xylitol 2.4
Maltitol 2.1
Isomalt 2.0
Lactitol 2.0
Mannitol 1.6
Erythritol 0.2

A practical way to calculate the amount and calorie content of sugar alcohol in foods is to apply one rule for all sugar alcohols. It is common to assign a value of two calories per gram for sugar alcohols versus four calories per gram for sugar and complex carbohydrates.
The American Dietetic Association2 recommends that products that contain ten grams or less of sugar alcohols (roughly equal to 20 calories) may be counted as a ?free food? for diabetics. In order to figure out how many grams of sugar alcohols may be in, let?s say, a low carb snack bar, one needs to first subtract the number of "accounted for" calories on the food label from the total calories in the bar. Below is an example of how to do this:
How To Figure Out The Amount Of Sugar Alcohol In Foods
Example: Protein Revolution Bar
Calories 230
Fat 8 g
Carbohydrate 2.5 g
Protein 22 g

1. Compute how many calories in the food come from fats, protein and ordinary carbohydrates. (Fats have 9 calories per gram while protein and ordinary carbohydrates have 4 calories per gram. In this case:

Multiply Fat (8 grams) by 9 calories/gram (8g x 9 = 72 calories)
Multiply Protein (22 grams) by 4 calories/gram (22g x 4 = 88 calories)
Multiple Carbohydrates by 4 calories/gram (2.5 x 4 = 10 calories)
2. Add the calories from fat, protein and carbohydrates together. (72 + 88 + 10 = 170 calories).
3. To derive the calories from sugar alcohol, subtract the calories from protein, fat and regular carbohydrates from the total calories listed for the food. For the Protein Revolution bar this would be 230 - 170 = 60 calories from sugar alcohols.
4. Divide the calories from sugar alcohol by 2. (Sugar alcohols have an average of 2 calories per gram). (60/2 = 30). Therefore, the Protein Revolution bar has 30 grams of sugar alcohol.
5. According to the American Dietetic Association, this exceeds the amount of sugar alcohol that a diabetic can count as a "free food".

References
1. American Diabetes Association. Position statement: Nutrition recommendations and principles for people with diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2000; 23(suppl 1): S43-S46.
2. Position of The American Dietetic Association: use of nutritive and nonnutritive sweeteners. Journal of the American Dietetic Association. 1998; 98: 580-87.
3. The evaluation of the energy of certain sugar alcohols used as food ingredients. Bethesda, MD: Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology, Life Sciences Research Organization; 1994.
4. Wheeler M, Franz MJ, Barrier P. Helpful hints: using the 1995 exchange lists for meal planning. Diabetes Spectrum. 1995; 8:325-6.
5. Zumbe A, Lee A, Storey D. Polyols in confectionery: the route to sugar-free, reduced sugar and reduced calorie confectionery. British Journal of Nutrition. 2001; 85: S31-45.

Hope this helps.
Mary

NulloModo 01-06-2005 08:21 PM

Interesting article, thanks for sharing.

I wonder about whether it makes sense to rate SAs on calorie count though. The carb-restriction thing is about insulin response and minimizing glucose spikes, so it is the speed of digestion that matters, not the calorie content of the material.

scott123 01-06-2005 09:00 PM

Nullo, although I don't agree with the article's method for coming up with SA carb counts (using a value of 2 for everything?), I do know that calorie count is actually a very important clue as to net carb impact with SAs.

At least this chart is:

Quote:

HSH 3.0
Sorbitol 2.6
Xylitol 2.4
Maltitol 2.1
Isomalt 2.0
Lactitol 2.0
Mannitol 1.6
Erythritol 0.2

Carbs have 4 cal/g. In other words, for every 4 calories, there's 1 net carb. By being aware of this, you can reverse engineer the carb count via the calorie count. Glycemic impact is, as you said, a rate of digestion thing, whereas calories should relate to total carbohydrate metabolized (in theory).

For instance, the non metabolizing behavior of erythritol is reflected on nutritional labels in it's calorie count (.2 cal/g) but not it's carb count, as it's listed either as sugar alcohol grams or carb grams 1 for 1. By taking the .2 calories and reverse engineering it, you come up with .05 net carbs/g. for erythritol - that's the real deal.

Yes, everyone's mileage does vary when it comes to non-erythritol SAs, but just like the laxation threshold charts out there, calorie counts are a good jumping off point for counting net carbs.

And, just to confuse things a bit :) The calorie count for erythritol is reverse engineerable. The calorie count for polydextrose isn't. Neither erythritol nor polydextrose based products will work in a hidden carb calculator. The reasons for not working, though, are different. With the erythritol, the calories are correct (.2) but the carbs aren't. With the polydextrose, both are wrong - 1 cal/g is false, as is zero net carbs - that's how most companies (minicarb, carbsmart, etc.) declare it.

Brendajm 01-07-2005 04:07 AM

no, I jsut use splenda in my cobbler,, I think Pami has a recipe using sugarslim,, I cant remember.

Geek0123 01-20-2013 06:24 AM

Lots of great info.Thanks. Learned more in 5 min. than in a whole year as a diabetic.