Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2005, 05:57 PM   #1
24kdietdeva

Gallery: 24kdietdeva
Powdered sugar substitute

Hi All! I need a substitute for powdered sugar for desert recipes I am trying to LC. Any suggestions? Or can you tell me how you make frosting for a treat?
I'm feeling really lost, and I don't want to stray from my diet. I love being LC.

thanks for the help -
24k Diet Deva

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2005, 07:33 PM   #2
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
If you have splenda, or any of the sugar subs that is a granular then you can make powdered sugar. A coffee mill is the best for this, but if you don't have one, just blend sugar sub in blender until it turns to powder. Really easy and works great.
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 07:41 PM   #3
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: scott123
Stats: 245/220/205
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2/6/04
If you're adding splenda to frosting, though, once it hit's anything moist, it shrinks to just about nothing, providing very little sugary texture.

If you're okay with sugar alcohols, those can be powdered in a coffee grinder or blender. I know of one well known chef that uses inulin. Polydextrose has been discussed here quite a bit recently. Any of these will give your frosting the necessary sugary texture.

Last edited by scott123; 01-02-2005 at 07:50 PM..
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 07:44 PM   #4
24kdietdeva

Powdered sugar substitute

Thanks for info - I was wondering about that, (grinding into a powder) but also am wondering about the fact that powdered sugar has corn starch in it - is that to help thicken or to keep the sugar from clumping?

24k.
Old 01-02-2005, 07:54 PM   #5
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

The cornstarch is to avoid clumping. I don't have exact numbers, but I think the amount/impact on frosting is neglible.
Old 01-02-2005, 07:56 PM   #6
24kdietdeva

Where would the Polydextros be available? Health food store?
Old 01-02-2005, 08:23 PM   #7
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
A nice frosting can be made from softened cream cheese and a little softened butter, creamed together, with a touch of vanilla extract and the sweetener of your choice. I generally use the liquid Splenda concentrate, but you could use granulated Splenda if that's what you have.

I generally use 4 parts cream cheese to 1 part butter, then sweeten to taste.

HTH!

Char
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 09:35 PM   #8
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

24kdietdeva, so far polydextrose is only available online. Depending on where you live, inulin might be available at a pharmacy. Inulin has very similar sugar texture like qualities as polydextrose and both are mostly fiber. The biggest difference is price - inulin is about 8 times more expensive.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:53 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jandjsmom
Stats: 155/126/127 5'4"
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: June 2011
I don't know if you have ever tried a product called Whey low, but is is awesome!! It comes in granular, powdered sugar and brown sugar. You order it over the internet. I have made chocolate frosting with the powdered sugar and no one even knew it was sugar free!!
jandjsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 08:19 AM   #10
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
Originally posted by jandjsmom
I have made chocolate frosting with the powdered sugar and no one even knew it was sugar free!![/url]
Technically, wheylow isn't sugar free. It's only three ingredients are sugars - white sugar, fructose, and milk sugar.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:10 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jandjsmom
Stats: 155/126/127 5'4"
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: June 2011
Quote:
Originally posted by scott123
Technically, wheylow isn't sugar free. It's only three ingredients are sugars - white sugar, fructose, and milk sugar.
How is this new sweetener different from others?
Whey Low® is so new and novel that VivaLac® Inc., the developer, manufacturer and distributor, has obtained a US patent and filed many other patents throughout the world. The all-natural blend of sugars has the same sweetness level as ordinary sugar, the same functional properties in foods, one quarter of the calories and impact carbohydrates and less than one third of the glycemic index of sugar. No single alternative sweetener on the market today comes as close to table sugar in terms of taste and functional properties as Whey Low®!

This is from the whey low site. Maybe I was wrong in saying "sugar-free" in how we usually understand that to mean. Whey low is a great product IMO and can fool anyone with the taste compared to real sugar. And taste much better then splenda in baked goods!
Old 01-03-2005, 11:04 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 212/200 /goal 150
WOE: Lowcarb
Steel's powdered suagr is great, all maltitol though.
Tater Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 04:28 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jaideyes
Stats: 140/110 44 y.o. 5'4"
WOE: Moderate Carbs / Maintenance
Start Date: 1998
I have some Inulin I ordered online awhile back, but never used.
Scott, in the recipe below, how much Inulin do you think would work (adding liquid splenda to taste for the sweetness)? Mine is sealed, is the texture usually already powdered, or does it need processing?

Basic Buttercream Frosting

3/4 c Butter
3/4 c Confectioner's sugar
1 1/2 ts Vanilla
2 3 Tbls. milk

In bowl with electric beaters, cream butter until light & smooth. Add sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, beating until mixture is very creamy & smooth. Beat in vanilla & 2 Tbls. milk. If too thick, add additional
milk.
Jaideyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 07:01 PM   #14
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Jaideyes, I've never purchased inulin, but from what I hear, the powder has a very similar consistency to polydextrose. In fact, I'm pretty sure they can both be used interchangeably.

The one person who I know uses inulin for frosting, Karen Barnaby, doesn't measure her ingredients

I'd use the same sort of rules for subbing inulin as I would polydextrose. In other words, if the recipe has 3/4 C. sugar, which is 6 oz., I'd sub that with 6 oz. inulin. If you don't possess a scale, then see what kind of results the 1/1.5 polydextrose ratio gives you (3/4 cup sugar = about 1 1/8 Cup polydextrose). I doubt that inulin and polydextrose take up the exact same volume by weight, but they are probably close. A scale would be best, though.

If don't know if Karen does any special processing with her inulin. I'm sure that, just like PD, it needs warm water to dissolve. With that in mind, I'd toss it in the blender.