Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2004, 10:33 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mule_Freak
Stats: 145/125-130/135
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: Oct. 2003
What would happen

If you made a faux sweet potatoe casserole dish and since we cant eat marshmellows, used a recipe for plain meringues to put on top of the dish? Can this be done? I have made the plain meringues and to me when they are cooled and done taste like marshmellows. I figure if you can put meringue on a lemon meringue pie why not on a faux sweet potatoe concoction, what do you all think?
Thanks Guys
Mule_Freak is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2004, 10:48 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PhoebeHerself
Stats: 203.4/183.6/160
WOE: -17.8 lbs HCG/JUDDD is next
Start Date: February 2012
Sounds like you have some experimenting to do! Report back ASAP!!

Good luck!
PhoebeHerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 12:32 PM   #3
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I've actually eaten sweet potato casserole that ON PURPOSE had a meringue topping baked on it, like you would on a lemon meringue pie.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of soft meringue though so it wasn't to my liking particularly! Everyone else seemed to like it though!

Char
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 02:40 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: showgirl
Stats: 127/116/115 5'3"
WOE: diet free!
Start Date: 3/1/05
here's a recipe from barefoot contessa for marshmallows. i haven't tried it yet but i'll put my planned substitutions in parenthasis
Ingredients:

3 packages unflavored gelatin
1 1/2 Cups granulated sugar (whey low granular)
1 cup light corn syrup (sf maple syrup-may taste even better on sweet potatoes!)
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
Confectioners' sugar for dusting (whey low powder)

Instructions:
Combine the gelatin and 1/2 cup of cold water in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and allow to sit while you make the syrup.

Meanwhile, combine the sugar, corn syrup, slat and 1/2 cup water in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Raise the heat to high and cook until the syrup reaches 240 degrees on a candy thermometer. Remove from the heat.

With the mixer on low speed slowly pour the sugar syrup into the dissolved gelatin. Put the mixer on high speed and whip until the mixture is very thick, about 15 minutes. Add the vanilla and mix thoroughly.

With a sieve, generously dust and 8 x 12-inch non metal baking dish with confectioners' sugar. Pour the marshmallow mixture into the pan, smooth the top and dust with more confectioners' sugar. Allow to stand uncovered overnight until it dries out.

Turn the marshmallows onto a board and cut them in squares. dust them with more confectioners' sugar.
showgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 05:19 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Beachgirl
Stats: Nunya
WOE: Paleo
Showgirl, I'd be very interested in hearing how this turns out if you try it. I can't imagine making marshmellows without the sugar. Seems to me the sugar is a very integral part of the recipe.

Let us know!
Beachgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 06:44 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Beachgirl
Showgirl, I'd be very interested in hearing how this turns out if you try it. I can't imagine making marshmellows without the sugar. Seems to me the sugar is a very integral part of the recipe.

Let us know!
beachgirl-the wheylow granular is amazing stuff. i've made butter toffee -equal amounts of butter and sugar- and it comes out just like my grandma used to make. it carmelizes and all. i probably won't make the marshmallows in the near future as i don't have a need. i will be making fudge tho and will let you know as i want to make fudge that requires no cream cheese and no refrigeration. there's a recipe on the back of the hershey's cocoa can that i've made w/diabetesweet that works perfectly but the sugar alcohol causes that infamous intestinal distress. i'm hoping the whey low will work since it worked wonderfully with the toffee. you can find whey low at the "obvious" web site and adding the dot "you know what".

i just made the cheesecake factory cheesecake posted by cheri using 1/2 splenda and 1/2 whey low granular and it came out the best cheesecake i've ever made. no aftertaste whatsoever. the carb count is 48 per cup, that's y i use 1/2 splenda

Last edited by showgirl; 12-11-2004 at 06:46 AM..
Old 12-11-2004, 12:14 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
Show girl, I have the whey low granular, and my Dh is begging for peanut brittle, do you think this would do the trick. think I'll do a post and see if any one has a peanut brittle recipe. Did you use your whey low just like sugar?
SCOTTSDALEJULIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 12:16 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Also, I bought some Walden's marshmellow creme, Haven't used it yet, but will let you know.
Old 12-11-2004, 12:46 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

scottdaleJ-i use whey low just like sugar only for bakig they reccommend lowering baking temp 25*. i only lower it 20* and have great success. i was a little worried using wheylow for candy making as i was trying to figure out if i needed to lower the temp for "hard ball stage" i think its 234* but i went to their website and they have a recipe for lollipops where they bring the temp to 300* on the thermometer. for my grandma's toffee, i don't use a thermometer, i eye ball it by color. the fudge i was talking about on the hersheys can does require a specific temp.

does waldens farms marshmallow cream have maltitol? there's a great fudge recipe on the kraft marshmallow cream jar. it calls for sweetened condensed milk, but pami from this website has a lc version of s.c.m. that's the one i've made for years before giving up sugar. however, be careful they revised the recipe on the newer jars. for the original recipe you can go to "melinda lee" dot "you know what". where do you get the walden farms. i would love to try it in that fudge recipe.

oy vey the things we go thru so we can have goodies! that's a sign of a true sugar junkie

Last edited by showgirl; 12-11-2004 at 12:52 PM..
Old 12-11-2004, 01:48 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

show girl, the Walden Farms is C alled a dip, but it is really good. Perhaps not as thick as the regualr marshmallow cream, but pretty thick. Do a search and there is a Walden fams web site, and also the one above it, and I think it's cheaper. Give me the recipe for the fudge, and I have the recipe for the condensed milk, and I'll try the fudge with the marshmellow dip and use the whey low, and we'll see how it comes out. Recipe, please.

Oh, also, I went to a cookbook which i have called Cooking Truly Low Carb by Karen Rysavy. She has a web site of the same name, and found my recipe for microwave peanut brittle subbing a little Maltitol sryup for the Karo sryup, and splenda for the sugar, I will use Whey Low. I can send you my recipe if you want, and you can sub as I stated.

She also has a recipe for Marshmallow cream which I could email to you, if you can handle Maltitol, as that is what is used. Oh, yea, the Walden's Farms is made with splenda.
Old 12-11-2004, 04:59 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

oh darn, i forgot it uses chocolate chips. i just ordered some from netrition but don't have them yet. i suppose you can use any sf chocolate. or cocoa powder w/whey low...need to figure out what equals 12oz, let me see if i can find a conversion

do you buy maltitol syrup on line also?

ps. did we just do a thread jack?@%! sorry

MAKES 1 PAN: 9” X 9” OR 9” X 13” – ABOUT 3 POUNDS

3/4 cup, butter – plus additional for buttering pan
3 cups, granulated sugar
2/3 cup, evaporated milk*
[*Note: do NOT use sweetened condensed milk]
1 package (12 ounces) semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 jar (7 ounces) Kraft marshmallow crème
1 teaspoon, vanilla
1 cup, chopped nuts

In a 2 1/2 –3 quart saucepan, combine butter, sugar and evaporated milk. Bring mixture to a full, rolling boil, stirring constantly. Boil for 5 minutes over medium heat – until a candy thermometer reads 234-238 degrees. (Take care to stir constantly to avoid scorching the mixture.)

Remove the saucepan from the heat, stir in the chocolate pieces, a scoop at a time, until they are melted. Add the marshmallow crème, the vanilla and the nuts; mix until well blended.

Pour the fudge into a well-buttered pan (size: 9 inches square or 9 X 13 inches, for more but thinner squares of fudge) and allow fudge to cool at room temperature. Cut into squares.

Variations:
Omit nuts

Substitute 1 cup, peanut butter for chocolate pieces

Substitute 4 cups, Kraft miniature marshmallows, OR 40 regular-size marshmallows, for marshmallow creme

Substitute 1 cup, Kraft party mints or Butter Mints for nuts

Substitute 1 cup, crushed peanut brittle for nuts

Substitute 1/2 cup, crushed peppermint candy for the 1 cup of nuts

Substitute 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate of your choice, broken into pieces, for the chocolate chips (Kraft suggests 8 squares (each one ounce) of Baker’s semi sweet chocolate, broken in half

Last edited by showgirl; 12-11-2004 at 05:00 PM..
Old 12-11-2004, 05:04 PM   #12
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: griffin
WOE: atkins/moderate
Start Date: november 04
hi i just typed in sugarless marshmallows and a recipe for this came up, cause i couldnt find waldens, and the recipe uses sweetener of choice, hope this helps
griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 05:14 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SCOTTSDALEJULIE
show girl, the Walden Farms is C alled a dip, but it is really good. Perhaps not as thick as the regualr marshmallow cream, but pretty thick. Do a search and there is a Walden fams web site, and also the one above it, and I think it's cheaper. Give me the recipe for the fudge, and I have the recipe for the condensed milk, and I'll try the fudge with the marshmellow dip and use the whey low, and we'll see how it comes out. Recipe, please.

Oh, also, I went to a cookbook which i have called Cooking Truly Low Carb by Karen Rysavy. She has a web site of the same name, and found my recipe for microwave peanut brittle subbing a little Maltitol sryup for the Karo sryup, and splenda for the sugar, I will use Whey Low. I can send you my recipe if you want, and you can sub as I stated.

She also has a recipe for Marshmallow cream which I could email to you, if you can handle Maltitol, as that is what is used. Oh, yea, the Walden's Farms is made with splenda.
scottsdale julie- i just pm'd you
Old 12-11-2004, 08:26 PM   #14
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: argo2d
walden's marshmallow creme is one of the only products they make where the ingredients are more credible (there are no SAs and nothing like maltodextrin or modified starches)
in terms of taste, it's one of walden's better ones (compared to the other stuff they make) but i like the chocolate dip the best!

hth
argo2d is offline   Reply With Quote