Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Homemade Mayonnaise (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/298570-homemade-mayonnaise.html)

3843 12-08-2004 01:17 PM

Homemade Mayonnaise

Okay I just made my first batch today. All store bought mayonnaise have sugar in them.

It was delicious, I put some liquid stevia in it and it turned out awesome. It was a little too salad dressing like. Also I didnt like the yellow look. Can I make it only with egg whites?

Any tips at all will be appreciated. :cool:

lisa5683 12-08-2004 01:20 PM

Blue plate makes zero carb mayonaisse with no sugar added- taste fine. I however am not that obsessive and still buy regular mayo time to time.

Gusgus 12-08-2004 01:21 PM

Re: Homemade Mayonnaise

Quote:

Originally posted by 3843
All store bought mayonnaise have sugar in them.

Not so. Trader Joe's makes a fantastic sugar free mayo.

David

BeadingDiva 12-08-2004 01:46 PM

In the south we eat Duke's, nothing like it!

But honestly I think making it yourself who be much more healthy.

I also saw a sugar free mayo in Aldi's.

D
234/146/134

LeighDear 12-08-2004 02:11 PM

Mayo doesn't have the egg white in it, so you have to use the yolks.....

I have a recipe I use that doesn't contain any sweetner....I've never seen a homade recipe that does, unless you want a Miracle Whip kinda taste.....

This is the recipe I use....Comes out perfect every time...

2 egg yolks
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon powdered mustard
Pinch cayenne pepper
4 teaspoons lemon juice
1-1/2 cups oil

Place yolks, salt, mustard, pepper, and 2 teaspoons lemon juice in blender cup or work bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal chopping blade, and buzz 15 seconds (use low blender speed). Now, with motor running, slowly drizzle in 1/4 cup oil (use moderately high blender speed). As mixture begins to thicken, continue adding oil in a fine steady stream, alternating with remaining lemon juice. Stop motor and scrape mixture down from sides of blender cup or work bowl as needed.

carolethecatlover 12-08-2004 05:44 PM

Mayo: If you are getting really yellow look, then your eggs have been laid by chickens getting fed colourants. Free range or organic eggs are paler and it will be very pale. Don't add stevia. Or any sweener, extract your sweet tooth!:rofl: add a peeled clove of garlic or some dill or basil.
The yolk is the binder and is essential to hold it together, for a thicker mayo, use less oil and vinegar. See my recipe in recipe board. Carol

Exelis 12-09-2004 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by LeighDear
Not quite true. Large batches of blenderized mayo does better with a little of the protein from the white in there, actually. The blender can destroy the emulsion on an molecular level (making runny mayo), and the whites help to prevent that.

Mixing by hand, no whites needed.

Matt 12-09-2004 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by BeadingDiva
In the south we eat Duke's, nothing like it!

same here! i love Duke's

LeighDear 12-09-2004 05:12 AM

I had NO idea, Exelis....

I usually make small batches....If I ever make a large one, I'll definitely remember that....

Thanks!....:shake:

LSCH65 04-28-2013 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeighDear (Post 4207862)

I have a recipe I use that doesn't contain any sweetner....I've never seen a homade recipe that does, unless you want a Miracle Whip kinda taste.....

This is the recipe I use....Comes out perfect every time...

2 egg yolks
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon powdered mustard
Pinch cayenne pepper
4 teaspoons lemon juice
1-1/2 cups oil

Place yolks, salt, mustard, pepper, and 2 teaspoons lemon juice in blender cup or work bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal chopping blade, and buzz 15 seconds (use low blender speed). Now, with motor running, slowly drizzle in 1/4 cup oil (use moderately high blender speed). As mixture begins to thicken, continue adding oil in a fine steady stream, alternating with remaining lemon juice. Stop motor and scrape mixture down from sides of blender cup or work bowl as needed.

Just made this and instead of cayenne pepper I used chipotle. I also think I will use less lemon juice in my next batch. So far this is the best I have found. Since I used bottled lemon juice(no fresh lemons on hand) there is virtually no carbs to count. Thanks!!!!1

Strawberry 04-29-2013 09:18 AM

The yolk is what helps to emulsify the oil with the liquid... You would have to substitute something else to emulsify it. I've heard that prepared mustard (i.e. not the powder) alone will do that, but I've never tried it.

Quote:

If you are getting really yellow look, then your eggs have been laid by chickens getting fed colourants.
I have to disagree-- the yellow is from beta-carotene... if the hens are pecking on plants and alfalfa with more beta carotene, the yolks will be more yellow. Conventional chickens often have LESS yellow yolks because the grains they are fed have less beta carotene than pasture raised chickens.

organic egg on left Conventional egg on right

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...0R7uYlrZb3YZ_T

buttoni 04-29-2013 10:23 AM

I make my pint recipe of homemade mayo with whole eggs (2 eggs for 2 c. oil). Works like a charm.

The Chicken Lady 04-30-2013 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carolethecatlover (Post 4208962)
Mayo: If you are getting really yellow look, then your eggs have been laid by chickens getting fed colourants. Free range or organic eggs are paler and it will be very pale. Carol

That is not true...

My chickens are free range and their yolks are very dark. They eat some feed but the majority of their food they catch themselves. Chickens are omnivores they eat bugs, lizards, frogs, snakes, and will raid mouse or rat's nest of the pinkies if they can get to them. They also eat wild greens, fruits and vegetables.

A wide a varied diet such as this will give you very dark, thick and flavorful yolks. The pale yolks come from chickens who eat nothing but feed.

Pami 04-30-2013 05:02 PM

Did you see that carolethecatlover is from Australia?
Maybe her comment is true for Aussie chickens...

Barbo 04-30-2013 07:38 PM

I love it when the Chicken Lady comes out

I believe you....Would I love to eat some of your fresh eggs.

A friend once spoiled me with her fresh eggs.
I've never found any egg better or even close to them.

The Chicken Lady 04-30-2013 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pami (Post 16402209)
Did you see that carolethecatlover is from Australia?
Maybe her comment is true for Aussie chickens...

I'm not sure if you're joking but just in case there is only one species of domestic chicken, there are many breeds, but they are all a subspecies of the Red Jungle fowl of Indian origin.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbo (Post 16402471)
I believe you....Would I love to eat some of your fresh eggs.

A friend once spoiled me with her fresh eggs.
I've never found any egg better or even close to them.

Yeah, I know what you mean. It's so easy to get very spoiled with fresh yard eggs.