Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2004, 11:05 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lscoop
Stats: 115, maintaining
WOE: Mostly raw, organic, low-glycemic
Start Date: 8/05
Carbquik Alternative

I have been using the Low Carb Chef's Bake Mix instead of Carb Quik....this is a great alternative if you don't want trans (hydrogenated) fats in your diet. The ingredients are simply soy protein isolate, vital wheat gluten and baking powder.

Unfortunately, it has a bit of that soy texture/taste, but it works very well overall.

I find that many of the recipes included for bisquick-type mixes call for far too much fat, however. I use a product called Z-Trim which is an incredible, high fiber calorie-free substitute for fat. In many of the bisquick recipes I'll include cream, if it's called for, but will substitute up to 100% of the oil called for with Z-trim....and they actually come out BETTER and with far less calories. Z-trim can be used as a substitute--sometimes in part, sometimes in full, for ANY fat-based product. You can mix it with things like cream cheese and sour cream to retain the flavor of those items, or do the same with oil and butter. A bottle of z-trim powder isn't cheap, but you mix it with water before using it. Dollar for dollar after being mixed with water it compares favorably to an inexpensive oil, butter or cream cheese in terms of price per pound.

Happy cooking!
lscoop is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2004, 11:39 AM   #2
The Low Carb Chef

Gallery: Chefgreg
Re: Carbquik Alternative

Quote:
Originally posted by lscoop
I have been using the Low Carb Chef's Bake Mix instead of Carb Quik....this is a great alternative if you don't want trans (hydrogenated) fats in your diet. The ingredients are simply soy protein isolate, vital wheat gluten and baking powder.

Unfortunately, it has a bit of that soy texture/taste, but it works very well overall.

I find that many of the recipes included for bisquick-type mixes call for far too much fat, however. I use a product called Z-Trim which is an incredible, high fiber calorie-free substitute for fat. In many of the bisquick recipes I'll include cream, if it's called for, but will substitute up to 100% of the oil called for with Z-trim....and they actually come out BETTER and with far less calories. Z-trim can be used as a substitute--sometimes in part, sometimes in full, for ANY fat-based product. You can mix it with things like cream cheese and sour cream to retain the flavor of those items, or do the same with oil and butter. A bottle of z-trim powder isn't cheap, but you mix it with water before using it. Dollar for dollar after being mixed with water it compares favorably to an inexpensive oil, butter or cream cheese in terms of price per pound.

Happy cooking!
UCKKKK ANYONE EVER TASTE THIS STUFF, I HAVE. NOW WE ARE GOING BACK TO THAT ERA 10 YRS AGO WHEN EVERYTHING LOW CARB OR LOW FAT ALL TASTED NASTY, NO THANK YOU, I'LL STICK TO THE TRUE LOW CARB LIFESTYLE WHERE FAT IS NOT MY ENEMY BUT MY FRIEND FOR FLAVOR, HEALTH AND NUTRITION. LOW CARB AND LOW FAT DO NOT MIX..
Chefgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 04:55 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TovaRep
Re: Carbquik Alternative

Quote:
Originally posted by lscoop

Carbquik has no trans fats or hydrogenated oils in the new product. Look at the nutritional/ingredient statement for the 3# box. And (from what I've heard) this mix has a very strong soy taste, which many people dislike.
TovaRep is offline   Reply With Quote