Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Low Carb Pecan Pie Help (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/293541-low-carb-pecan-pie-help.html)

LESESKI 11-20-2004 08:26 PM

Low Carb Pecan Pie Help

Okay I made this recipe below and it tasted good but did not have the same look and stickiness (consistency) like regular pecan pie. I couldn't find Steel's so I used Waldens Sugar Free Syrup.

Does any one have a different recipe that looks and tastes just like regular pecan pie?

Crust:
1 1/2 cups almond flour,
1/half stick melted butter

Filling:
3 beaten eggs,
1 cup Splenda,
1 tsp. vanilla,
2 tbls. melted butter,
1 cup STEEL'S SUGAR FREE COUNTRY SYRUP,
1 1/2 cups pecans.

How To Prepare: for crust..add almond flour to butter, mix. Press into 8 or 9" pie plate. Refidgerate. Beat eggs, add Splenda. Beat. Then add vanilla, butter and syrup. Mix well, then add pecans. Bake at 350* for about 45 minutes.

Tater Head 11-21-2004 09:30 AM

Scottsdale Julie sent me this one................

Maple Pecan Pie

1 and 1/2 cups Sugar Free Pancake sryup. I used Josephs.
4 eggs
3/4 cup splenda, I used liquid
5 Tbs butter, melted and cooled slightly
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups toasted pecan peices.

Bring sryup to simmer in a small sauce pan. Cook 10 minutes, until reduced by half. cool to room temp

In a large bowl whisk eggs, sugar sub, melted butter and extract. Whisk in sryup. Add pecans and combine well. Pour mixture into prepared pie crust and bake 20 minutes. Until edges are firm. (center will be quivery). Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Pie may be refridgerated for up to 3 days. If you like yours warm , reheat in a warm over befor serving.

Brendajm 11-21-2004 03:46 PM

I have this same recipe, it was in some LC magazine this month, have you ttried it? I was thinking of making this for Thanksgiving but wondered how it tastes,, if anyone has made this please post your opinion,, thanks

nessyrae 11-22-2004 03:34 AM

LESESKI...the only thing I can think of that may have made a difference is the step in the second pie recipe where you boil the syrup and reduce to half the amt. Also, I am sure in a recipe like this, some sf syrups may work better than others. I bought the magazine that had the second recipe and I have been planning on trying it. Hope this helps a bit. I am not sure, but maybe your recipe had the heating the syrup step too, but maybe you just forgot to include it...let us know. How did it taste??

SCOTTSDALEJULIE 11-22-2004 10:01 AM

The one which I sent to TatarHead tastes exactly lik regular pecan pie to me. I will be making it Wednesday. It is decadent.

ataran 11-22-2004 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Tater Head

Maple Pecan Pie
1 and 1/2 cups Sugar Free Pancake sryup. I used Josephs.
4 eggs
3/4 cup splenda, I used liquid
5 Tbs butter, melted and cooled slightly
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups toasted pecan peices.
Bring sryup to simmer in a small sauce pan. Cook 10 minutes, until reduced by half. cool to room temp
In a large bowl whisk eggs, sugar sub, melted butter and extract. Whisk in sryup. Add pecans and combine well. Pour mixture into prepared pie crust and bake 20 minutes. Until edges are firm. (center will be quivery). Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Pie may be refridgerated for up to 3 days. If you like yours warm , reheat in a warm over befor serving.

This is a very good recipe. Only problem I have is that the crust comes out gummy. I have used the Carbquik pat in pan recipe and a nut crust recipe and they both come out soggy. Any suggestions on a crust?

SCOTTSDALEJULIE 11-22-2004 01:49 PM

kPre- bake it until goldern brown. For the Carbquik, I forked the bottom a little. It came out really good.

ataran 11-22-2004 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by SCOTTSDALEJULIE
kPre- bake it until goldern brown. For the Carbquik, I forked the bottom a little. It came out really good.
Good idea too! I didn't fork the bottom of the crust when I pre-baked it.

LESESKI 11-22-2004 10:57 PM

I will be making the 2nd recipe sent by Taterhead tomorrow and I will let you all know how it comes out.

The first recipe tasted great, it just looked weird.:eek:

nessyrae 11-23-2004 09:03 PM

Okay, I tried the recipe in the magazine tonight.

Here are my thoughts...

I may have done something wrong. My filling didn't look like the cut piece in the magazine, it was a creamy caramel color and not translucent like regular pecan pie filling. The only thing I can think of is I simmered the syrup too long and reduced it too much or didn't add the melted butter to the egg mixture at the right time.

However, it tasted pretty decent. Not sweet like regular pecan pie, but very good flavor.

I also thought the crust turned out great and tasted great.

Overall, pretty good, but not sure why my filling turned out this way. Any ideas as to why?

Thanks!

dc21 11-23-2004 09:13 PM

ok, maybe it's late for me, but I don't see the pie crust recipe? Can someone post instructions for the pie crust? Thanks! ;)

LESESKI 11-23-2004 11:30 PM

Okay I made the 2nd pie and followed the directions exactly. My pie did not look like a reg pecan pie, it looked different. THe taste was fine. I'm giving up!!:down: I'll just stick with pumpkin pie and cheesecake.

nessyrae 11-24-2004 04:58 AM

I used

1/2 c. of almond flour
1/4 c. of atkins bake mix (I used Bob's Red Mill)
1/2 stick of melted butter

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350.

Mix the almond flour and bake mix. Then mix in melted butter. Put in refrigerator for 20 minutes. Then press dough into 9 inch pie plate. (Directions didn't say to, but I brushed w/ some egg white and forked the bottom of the crust.) Bake crust for 7 minutes or until golden brown. I baked mine longer. I also set it out to cool for about an hour.

nessyrae 11-24-2004 04:59 AM

LESESKI

I agree the pie doesn't really look like regular pecan pie. However, I think it tastes pretty good. Not bad, but the appearance of the filling may turn some people off from it.

scott123 11-24-2004 06:13 AM

The magazine recipe is flawed.

SF pancake syrups are not all alike. Some are thickened with sugar alcohols while others are thickened with gums (atkins, davinci).

A gum thickened pecan pie will never have the 'right' texture.

Also, sugar alcohols all act a little differently. A sorbitol based syrup will produce different results than a maltitol based one. The cloudyness could be a result of sorbitol crystallizing.

The only way to guarantee the right texture of a pecan pie is to use maltitol syrup, either in the form of Steel's (preferred) or sf honey. If you sub for it, you're asking for trouble.

LESESKI 11-24-2004 09:13 AM

Thanks Scott for letting me know the difference. I just thought all SF syrups were the same. I've seen SF honey at the store here. Maybe I'll try that for Christmas. If you eat alot of this pie (with maltitol) wouldnt that give you stomach problems????

scott123 11-24-2004 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by LESESKI
If you eat alot of this pie (with maltitol) wouldnt that give you stomach problems????
Most definitely. And it could stall you as well. Some people can eat non erythritol sugar alcohols and others can't. For those that can't, well, until a polydextrose based 'corn' syrup is developed, I'd stick with cheesecake.

dc21 11-24-2004 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by nessyrae
I used

1/2 c. of almond flour
1/4 c. of atkins bake mix (I used Bob's Red Mill)
1/2 stick of melted butter

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350.

Mix the almond flour and bake mix. Then mix in melted butter. Put in refrigerator for 20 minutes. Then press dough into 9 inch pie plate. (Directions didn't say to, but I brushed w/ some egg white and forked the bottom of the crust.) Bake crust for 7 minutes or until golden brown. I baked mine longer. I also set it out to cool for about an hour.

Thanks Ness!

Can anyone let me know if I would still pre bake this before if I'm making a pumpkin pie? I just didnt want the crust to burn. Thaks guys!

nessyrae 11-24-2004 02:46 PM

I forgot something...use 3 pkts of splenda in the pie crust...oops sorry...hope I didn't tell you too late.

I would definately pre bake...

dc21 11-24-2004 05:38 PM

Not too late!! Im just gonna get started! Thanks a bunch!

SCOTTSDALEJULIE 11-27-2004 11:22 AM

I made this again for Thanksgiving, using Josep's sryup. It is exactly like regualr pecan pie. I made the crust with some carbquik, some pecan flour, and butter. This is to die for. It does have Maltitol, so, I warned my guests, and my Dh and I had the whole thing for ourselves. I don't have bathroom issures with just a piece, but do have some gas issues. Too bad, it is my house.:rofl: :rofl:

Charski 11-27-2004 11:32 AM

I also made this using half Joseph's and half another brand that is sweetened with Splenda, cooked them down together.

It was VERY tasty indeed, both DH and I had slightly gassy symptoms a couple hours later, but not enough to keep him from having a second piece! LOL!

We'll eat the rest tonight after dinner with my Dad and stepmom.

I made the crust with ground pecans, 2 scoops vanilla whey powder, melted butter and liquid Splenda concentrate. It came out perfect!

Char

nessyrae 11-30-2004 05:00 AM

I cannot find Joseph's syrup anywhere...where did you find it?

SCOTTSDALEJULIE 11-30-2004 07:53 AM

I buy mine at Cost Plus, my Fry's (Smiths) and my low carb store. But if you have a Cost Plus, they always have it. Do a google, and you may find some online if you don't have a cost plus.

Charski 11-30-2004 08:02 AM

I've also seen it at Cost Plus. I bought a case of it at Amazon though, before I could find it locally. I LOVE it - the flavor is excellent and it's nice and thick. It IS made with maltitol though so beware if that SA causes you distress....

Char

Yaylocarber 12-12-2004 03:35 AM

Thank you, Scot123 for the tip about syrups with gums being the problem. I live in Texas and found Hill Country brand SF syrup at HEB. It is made with maltitol and no gums and was thick enough without reduction being necessary. One 12 oz bottle was the exact amount needed.

I did do something different, though. I baked a Carbquick pie shell for ten minutes, then brushed beaten egg whites on the crust and baked another 5 minutes to make sure the crust would not get mushy as it had with other attempts.

I also roasted the pecan pieces (2 cups) as the baking time is less than a regular pecan pie. Instead of pouring the filling into the shell and baking it, I made it on top of the stove. I poured the cold syrup in a saucepan. Before heating the syrup, in a bowl I beat 4 eggs with 18 packets of Splenda, 1 tsp vanilla. I added 5 Tbs melted unsalted butter to the cold syrup, then whisked the egg mixture into the syrup. After it was thoroughly whisked, I turned on the heat at medium and continued whisking until it came to a slow bubble and then removed it from the heat, whisked a little while longer till it was really thick. I then added the pecans and stirred it up. I poured it into the hot pie crust and added a ring of foil around the crust edges to prevent overbrowning the crust. I put it back into the oven at 375 degrees and baked 20 minutes.

After an hour of cooling, my DH, who has suffered years of abstinence from his favorite pie as well as many failed lc attempts, could wait no longer and I cut into the pie, still fearing another failure. Not so this time! It is wonderful!

Now, we are very sensitive to maltitol, so I had a very small piece, maybe an inch or so wide, but DH had two regular pieces yesterday and so far, neither one of us has had any symptoms at all! I am wondering if by cooking the syrup, it reduced or eliminated the problem. I did notice it did not taste overly sweet as pecan pie usually does, and it was really better because of it, imo.

I hope some of you will consider making it this way as it totally eliminated the soggy crust problem. Please note, I added no salt to the mixture as the salt in the crust is really enough.

Thanks again, Scott123! We will definitely be making it again for Christmas!