Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2004, 07:26 AM   #1
Pam
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Pam
Stats: 181/150/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: March 2001
Turkey Gravy

Turkey Gravy........ Anyone have a good recipe to share? Thanks!
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2004, 11:26 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Just substitute turkey drippings for the chicken drippings:

CHICKEN GRAVY
Drippings from roasted chicken
Water
Xanthan gum
1 tablespoon heavy cream, about (optional)

Strain the drippings into a small saucepan; skim off most of the fat. Add a little water (I used about 1/2 cup or so for the drippings from 2 roasted chickens) Turn heat to high and whisk vigorously and constantly while lightly sprinkling the surface with xanthan gum. Continue sprinkling and stirring until gravy comes to a boil. Stop adding xanthan when gravy starts to look thickened, but not quite as thick as you'd like it. It will thicken more as it simmers. Taste for seasoning and stir in the cream, if desired. My gravy was a little salty and the cream helped tone it down and made it look more like gravy made with flour. Turn heat to low and stir occasionally until ready to serve.

About 4 servings

Per Serving: 129 Calories; 14g Fat; trace Protein; 1g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 0g Net Carbs
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 12:26 PM   #3
Pam
Major LCF Poster!

LindaSue.........thanks for your reply! Since I don't have any Xanthan Gum, what about Carbquik or Thicken Thin/not Starch?
Old 11-20-2004, 02:30 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Crink
Here's my recipe for the turkey gravy. I hope you like it. It is easy and a major hit among friends and family. You don't have to use much Xanthan gum or Thick'n'Thin not Starch to thicken it, so it really has that "real" gravy taste! (I never use Guar Gum...ick!)

Turkey Gravy

Remove the giblets and the neck from the bird, rinse and place in a saucepan and cover with water. If you aren't fussy about your turkey, remove the wings and add them to the pot. You can also add the tail if desired. I often buy extra packages of giblets at the market during the holidays and use 2 sets of giblets for this recipe.

Add 1 - 2 stalks celery, 1 small onion, salt and pepper.

Boil until falling-apart tender. Remove meat from bones. Remove most of the celery. Place meat and part of the stock in a blender and whiz it until thoroughly pureed.

If you are making bread dressing.... use part of this mixture for your dressing. If not, save it ALL for the gravy.

(You should do this a day before cooking the turkey so as not to drive yourself nuts...lol)

To Make the Gravy:

Pour the puree into a heavy-bottomed sauce pan. Add drippings from the turkey. Add some soy sauce to this gravy or you can add the browning "stuff" for gravy. (I always use Koon Chun Black Soy Sauce as it is amazing)

Salt and pepper to taste.

I put part of the gravy into a blender and add Xanthan gum but you can just shake it over the top of the gravy and stir with a whisk until you have reached the desired thickness. BE CAREFUL.... a little goes a LONG way with Xanthan and you won't need much since the giblets make it very thick anyway. (This year, I will use Carbquick....browning it before adding any liquids.)

Salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.

The Next Day... to stretch the gravy, I take some turkey meat and add it to any leftover broth (fat removed) and whiz it in the blender. (Sneaky way to make gravy thick without adding the sometimes slippery texture of Xanthan.) You can add a little more soy sauce...just taste as you go until you get it "right" for you!
Old 11-20-2004, 04:21 PM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Pam, as far as I know, Thicken Thin/not Starch is pretty much the same thing as xanthan gum. It should work fine.
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 05:39 PM   #6
Pam
Major LCF Poster!

Crink and LindaSue, thanks for your input!
Old 12-02-2011, 08:17 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: alilduckling
Stats: 156
WOE: Atkins and South Beach, primarily
Gravy ideas

I am kinda new to LC recipes. Just bought Xantham gum for something else and it is good to see another use.

I realize that this is an older post, but I am glad I found it. Gravy has not been on our table for a while and this is exciting to try out! Thanks for the inspiration.
alilduckling is offline   Reply With Quote